Roll Call
0 members (), 61 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Nightcrawler - 05/17/24 04:29 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/17/24 03:40 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/17/24 02:51 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/17/24 01:47 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/17/24 08:20 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/17/24 06:19 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/17/24 06:19 AM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by razsolo - 05/17/24 05:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Calling the Roll of LSH #3.... spoilers
#27308 03/01/05 06:22 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Bicycle Repair Man:
I spy another possible in-joke/homage in LSH # 3:
Chameleon's "Stupid, stupid Legionnaires!"

I wonder if the new Cham will turn out to be from a town called Boneville ?
Either that, or he's related to Lester Spiffany!
(I think this requires its own topic!)

"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...
#27309 03/01/05 06:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Jerry:
Sean was not gay. He was a transexual who had an adolescent crush on Elelment Lad.
I think the consensus is that Sean was gay. He became Shvaughn because he thought it was the only way he could be with Jan.

Dan
#27310 03/01/05 07:18 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by ferroboy:
[b] Sean was not gay. He was a transexual who had an adolescent crush on Elelment Lad.
I think the consensus is that Sean was gay. He became Shvaughn because he thought it was the only way he could be with Jan. [/b]
Hmm. I've never seen it that way, but your interpretation may help explain why so many people hated the stroy line. If Sean changed genders just to be with Jan that would be horribly out of character. Shvaughn was always happy and outgoing. She seemed to love her career, her freinds, the time she spent with the Legion, and trying to solve a good mystery. She enjoyed her life in so may aspects. She enjoyed being a woman. I beleive the despair she showed when she no longer had access to the Profem was over losing her life as a woman, not because she feared losing Jan. An incredibly bold story, in my opinion. One which was truly and deeply respectful of past characterization of both Shvaughn and Jan. I realize I'm in the minority here.

Back to issue #3. I found nothing homophobic or out of the ordinary in the boys' reaction. They were freaked out by an odd situation and responded in a slightly immature fashion. Very much in character with the way the new team has been presented so far. I laughed.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#27311 03/01/05 07:47 PM
Active
Active
Was it just me, or did issue 3 imply that Lu's integration was voluntary?

When Legion Lu went back to the planet, she was shunned. The easiest way to overcome this would be to initiate a re-integration. Once that was done, all the others could "experience" what it was like to be a member of the Legion.

But because none of the others allowed re-integration, it seemed to imply that any sort if re-integration MUST be voluntary. Otherwise, Legion-Lu would have simply initiated a re-assimilation.
Unless it's initiated by Lu-Prime?
(Sorry ... "Lu-Prime" sounds so cold, but I didn't know how to designate her.)

I dunno. Maybe it's not a big thing. But it does (at least for me) open up a LOT of possibilities.

You can never quit believiing in your dreams ... or yourself.
-----
You GOTTA listen to Levi Kreis.
#27312 03/02/05 07:12 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Since she can re-intergrate with her two sibs, it is likely to be a voluntary act.

#27313 03/02/05 01:23 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I just hope Waid doesn't leave us hanging too long with an explanation for Lu's origin. Lord knows the preboot had enough danglers by the time it ended.

#27314 03/03/05 03:27 PM
C
Active
Active
C
I like Trippy's eyes, she's so cute

Actually, we learned a bit more about Atom Girl this issue. If Element Lad doesn't even believe she EXISTS then its most likely she's got a bigger case of the shys than any previous version has.

Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p
#27315 03/04/05 05:38 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Or a bigger case of the espionage squad.

And ... Lu seemed quite comfortable with Cos visiting her in the bedroom ... are they more than colleagues?

#27316 03/04/05 05:49 PM
C
Active
Active
C
I don't think she has quite the idea that there's a privacy problem.

After all, she grew up where you've seen it before

;-)

Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p
#27317 03/06/05 07:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
[b] Sean was not gay. He was a transexual who had an adolescent crush on Elelment Lad.
I think the consensus is that Sean was gay. He became Shvaughn because he thought it was the only way he could be with Jan.[/b]
Concensus implies everyone agrees. I don't.

Shvaugn was a real character. Sean was a best-forgotten caracature, at best an imposter or delusion, perhaps created by Glorith.

In no way whatsoever can I reconcile the whiney mass of lines and color with the character Levitz established who survived even into early TMK, regardless of sexuality/gender.

As far as I'm concerned, any need to cling to a label -gay or straight- by the 30th/31st century will be irrelevant. People will have their predominant tasts, yes, but neither will they be limited from acting on any variances from those preferences.

In other words, just as I may prefer black-haired women, that preference does not prevent me from dating red-heads or blondes. Long before 3000 CE, sexual prefences will be regarded similarly, I say - and I point to Vi and Ayla as examples.

The more I think on it, the less possible the Sean character seems, the less he fits, and the more he contradicts the reality around him - sort of as if Mickey Mouse had been edited into Reservoir Dogs.

I choose to think that #31 was a drug-induced delusion, and the Sean that appears therafter is a seperate character entirely, whether gay or not.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#27318 03/07/05 04:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
[b]
I think the consensus is that Sean was gay. He became Shvaughn because he thought it was the only way he could be with Jan.[/b]
Concensus implies everyone agrees. I don't.

Shvaugn was a real character. Sean was a best-forgotten caracature, at best an imposter or delusion, perhaps created by Glorith.[/b]
If you're arguing from "I don't like this so I'll ignore it," there's really nothing more to say. *I* don't like it and think it messed with the character of Shvaughn. However, within the context of the story, Sean is gay. Maybe pre-Mordruverse Shvaughn was always Shvaughn. Maybe Glorith did change things. But the story still stands, regardless of the truth.

As far as I'm concerned, any need to cling to a label -gay or straight- by the 30th/31st century will be irrelevant. People will have their predominant tasts, yes, but neither will they be limited from acting on any variances from those preferences.
Has it been acceptable in the last 1000 years? There are no guarantees.

In other words, just as I may prefer black-haired women, that preference does not prevent me from dating red-heads or blondes. Long before 3000 CE, sexual prefences will be regarded similarly, I say - and I point to Vi and Ayla as examples.
And just because I "prefer" men it doesn't prevent me from dating women. Anyone can date anyone if they want - but it's the underlying feelings and motivations that count.

The more I think on it, the less possible the Sean character seems, the less he fits, and the more he contradicts the reality around him - sort of as if Mickey Mouse had been edited into Reservoir Dogs.

I choose to think that #31 was a drug-induced delusion, and the Sean that appears therafter is a seperate character entirely, whether gay or not.
Could be. I'm one of those who thinks TMK began to spiral downward quickly after the first year.

Dan
#27319 03/15/05 07:01 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Have finally gotten hold of issue 3 - and I thought it was great!

Interesting new spin on Lu's powers, and I like the whole retention of memories thing - similar to what Marvel are doing with Madrox, but who am I to complain? I thought it was a good boost for Madrox too.
Very sneaky of Cos to send her out to gather information, and Lu's insights into ther boy's motives seem to be spot on as far as we know.
I also question what we were told by Lu - who's to say that she was only saying what she was saying to get a response from the boys?

I'm really enjoying the new run (although I do wonder if it'll stop by issue 38 like the other runs...) - it's put a definate new spin on the Legion concept, and for once it's going in a new direction - these are new characters, not remodels of old ones. I'm enjoying the darker, more adult tone of the story - slightly ironic considering that we're talking about kids here.

... should Shikari be knocking around somewhere? Was it ever established that she was in the current Legion universe, or is she elsewhere? In a way I hope she's ot around, I don't think that there needs to be a link to the 'old' Legion - this is far too interesting already.

#27320 03/15/05 03:55 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
What's the significance of issue #38 other than that's when the last series ended. The three Legion series' the preceded it all had longer runs.

As for Shikari, I don't see the problem. She could just say that she's from somewhere else and that the Legion reminds her of people she used to know. No detail is needed, which prevents newer readers from getting needlessly bogged down by past continuity.

Dan
#27321 03/17/05 11:38 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Triplicate Girl's origin story is interesting, but isn't it negated by the fact that her other selves back on the homeworld don't want anything to do with her now? So we're back to one girl in three, or three in one, who's an outcast. Maybe she'll develop different personalities - one of the selves won't want to merge for some reason? (No! I'm not sharing Sun Boy with you two!)

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#27322 03/17/05 12:15 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
What's the significance of issue #38 other than that's when the last series ended. The three Legion series' the preceded it all had longer runs.
#38 is traditionally significant in runs of the Legion. For example, v3 #38 was the death of Superboy, and v4 #38 was the destruction of the Earth. And, of course, Adventure #338 was the first big showdown with the Time Trapper...

#27323 03/19/05 06:27 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Oh, cool! I knew about Superboy's death, but I didn't pay enough attention to when Earth was destroyed. I remember the moon (#19) being destroyed. And I had no idea about the Time Trapper. Interesting theme. I hope Mark and Barry follow up with a Very Special #38.

Dan
#27324 03/20/05 02:34 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Have to admit that I wasn't all that impressed with the first issue of the new series but issue 2 grew on me and I thought issue 3 was great. Love Triplicate Girl's origin, it was kind of sad and over all I felt the issue flowed better, maybe having the one character through out helped.

Btw, does anyone know if we are getting a version of Shrinking Violet in this reboot or not?

#27325 03/20/05 05:34 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yes, but she'll be called (initially, at least) Atom Girl. She's already a member. In fact, I'd suggest you re-read #3 because the scene with Element Lad and Phantom Girl makes a direct reference to her.

Dan
#27326 03/21/05 12:55 AM
Active
Active
Her head is already drawn and inked ready for a cover inclusion smile

After she makes her official debut - I'll reveal which panel she actually first appeared in laugh

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#27327 03/21/05 03:37 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I think that by and large, most people will agree that the Shvaugn-Transexual plotline can be chalked up to really, really bad story writing.

Let's forget it ever happened...please?

#27328 03/21/05 06:14 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
After she makes her official debut - I'll reveal which panel she actually first appeared in laugh
Wasn't that her in the seven page preview group shot at the end? (and again in issue #1 in the wide shot of the lounge area on the table (standing either with other Imskians or a couple of action figures)?) Or are we going to have to play a couple rounds of "Where's Violet?"

#27329 03/21/05 11:16 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
OK, Starbucks! It never happened! In fact, it didn't, because we all know damn well that it wasn't the case pre-Mordruverse. Glorith really knows how to screw up a good thing, doesn't she?

Dan
#27330 03/21/05 05:26 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
Her head is already drawn and inked ready for a cover inclusion smile

Yay!!!! ShrinkingViolet

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#27331 03/21/05 07:40 PM
Active
Active
She's actually been hiding in the ears of certain members of the Legion. laugh

You can never quit believiing in your dreams ... or yourself.
-----
You GOTTA listen to Levi Kreis.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,416
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
crooow, DrJohnnyDiablo, sheer
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star