Roll Call
1 members (rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1), 38 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by rickshaw1 - 05/02/24 08:51 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by rickshaw1 - 05/02/24 08:47 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/02/24 04:32 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/02/24 12:15 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/02/24 11:41 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/02/24 11:40 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:09 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
LEGION #4 (Preview)
#613598 12/19/11 05:32 PM
Korbal Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
Re: LEGION #4 (Preview)
#613599 12/19/11 06:04 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
More touchiness between Ayla and Violet, I see. Cool.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#613600 12/19/11 07:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
And I couldn't help but notice a panty shot from Ayla.

#613601 12/19/11 09:02 PM
Leader
Leader
I don't care for the cover much, but I like the interior art quite a lot.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#613602 12/19/11 09:26 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
And I couldn't help but notice a panty shot from Ayla.
Have I mentioned lately that both she and Violet really need some tights or bike shorts or... something?

sigh

(I'm afraid to say anything to DC because they'll just retaliate by bringing back the Spears midriffs, no doubt. smirk )

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#613603 12/19/11 10:34 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Set:
More touchiness between Ayla and Violet, I see. Cool.
Very cool, but when do we get some man on man action?

#613604 12/19/11 10:37 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
If they bring back Gravity Kid and Power Boy and don't use them as cannon fodder...

I also like how Ayla is so supportive of Vi, and how Vi's being written as one of the Legionnaires specifically keeping an eye on planetary happenings. Fits her as a member of the Espionage Squad - and her focus on signs of revolution is a nice nod to her history.

#613605 12/20/11 02:12 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Thoughts:

Still love the art...Daxam looks amazing in that one panel with the Legionnaires swooping in. Also, Ayla in that last panel looks great!

I like Cos of all people missing Imra (though given that we're supposed to believe these Legionnaires think the Legion Lost crew are dead, it's kind of tacky that he would say that when Tellus has only JUST 'died')....

I don't know what the difference is between this series and the last, but Paul really seems to be hitting the mark on ALL of the characters this time around! Everyone we have seen in the first three issues has been useful and well spotlighted, and here it looks like we're seeing that again with Vi and Jacques. This bodes well! smile

For the negatives.....I agree that Ayla needs some pants. Or a full costume redesign. Her current costume is just silly, no matter how well Portela draws it.

I can live with Vi's costume...it looks less like a costume and more like a casual outfit, but I can deal with that. Still, I would like it more if we didn't get casual panty shots along with it.

My main gripe about the art, and one that I forgot to mention last issue, is that I really miss the Dominators' plant-based technology we saw in the 5YL Legion that was visually very distinct from UP technology.

But all these negatives are really pretty minor things - more like if I HAD to pick things I didn't like, they would be it. I am really enjoying this series HEAPS more than the last try!

#613606 12/20/11 03:50 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
First time we've seen lower caste Dominators having a different form - and triangles instead of discs. In the past, they've all been the same, just the disc size changed.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#613607 12/20/11 04:00 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I noticed that too about the lower-caste Dominators, and I was just thinking, what with the Legionnaires blowing up all of the other ships without checking to see if they were inhabited, that maybe the Dominators have a non-sentient caste that is directly controlled by the leader caste, from a command ship, making it less like 'killing a bunch of people' and more like blowing up some remote-controlled organic meat-puppets with no brains of their own.

Technically, it would still be 'killing,' but, if the guys piloting the other ships were non-sentient 'drones,' little more than remote-controlled organic tech robots, it might at least be a bit more palatable.

#613608 12/21/11 06:56 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Another great issue. Just about everyone gets face time or a mention (except Quislet and poor Thom, oh and I guess Harmonia Li, but that's not necessarily a bad thing wink ), the plot moves quickly, Mon-el is awesome and Chemical Kid gets some good coaching from Jan. Brainy's close to undoing the whole DCU reboot, or at least re-creating the Time Trapper, and Shady comes skulking back to Mon-el (if he takes her back...).

#613609 12/21/11 03:50 PM
S
Active
Active
S
That was an awesome issue. I love how Jan coaches Hadru, and then Jo and Mon literally support him while he uses his power. That's what Legionnaires do: they help each other.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#613610 12/21/11 07:24 PM
Leader
Leader
dangit! With 3 Legion books a month, I can't keep up. Didn't even know it was out today.

I think Mon should stick Shady in the Phantom Zone for a few centuries and see how she deals with it.

#613611 12/22/11 11:23 AM
Active
Active
Loved the art. Loved that E-lad coached Chemical Kid on how to use his power. Loved that Vi coached Cos on espionage/detective work.
However, what exactly happened this issue? Cham's Dominator infiltration didn't do anything. Mon-El bursts in, warns the Dom's to leave Daxam alone...The end.
Questions: Don't Brainy and the LSH remember that they've met another "Glorith" that had time manipulating abilities. Did the Black Witch inform the LSH Academy of this Glorith's origins? Wouldn't they kind of require that?
Ironic that Shady and Mon talk about HIM having not being himself, when it's Shady that has been out of character. Her whole rational for breaking up with Mon is because he was absent when lost in the Phantom ZOne and then weak and depressed since he returned. However, it was Earth Man who trapped Mon in the Zone in the first place. WHY would she turn around and fall for the villain who trapped her man to begin with? Especially when said villain never had a single panel showing his rehabilitation, especially his bigoted attitudes toward aliens. AAAAARRRGGGHHH!

Gorilla Nebula
#613612 12/22/11 11:40 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:

However, what exactly happened this issue? Cham's Dominator infiltration didn't do anything. Mon-El bursts in, warns the Dom's to leave Daxam alone...The end.
I think Cham had three objectives and only met one. He wanted to get some recon on what the Dominators were really up to (failed), sabotage their propulsion system (also seemingly failed), and get a signal to the Legion before he was sucked too deep into Dominator space (which he obviously did, as they showed up in force).

#613613 12/23/11 12:15 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Cham's pretty lucky his shapechanging abilities allowed him to get onto the ship at all. It's got sensors that will detect a bug out of place, and yet he managed to open an exterior hatch and waltz right in!

#613614 12/23/11 02:39 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Oh, I missed #4 coming out, too.
Tomorrow.

Ayla's pantie isn't quite a 'thong', but what's a half inch of material?

I want those new designs!

It's nice that Levitz is carrying over Vi's reactions to her time in captivity. She looks harsher, too.

I still don't think that the Dominators are being killed by the Legionnaires.
I'll have to actually see the corpes, I guess.

So, both of the black guys, IK II and Tyroc, have the little braids?
Both?
It must be the 31st century bald head crazy, geez.

I agree totally with gorilla nebula about the Shady attitude and I haven't even seen the scene yet.
What's the matter with her?
tongue

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#613615 12/23/11 03:56 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
Ironic that Shady and Mon talk about HIM having not being himself, when it's Shady that has been out of character. Her whole rational for breaking up with Mon is because he was absent when lost in the Phantom ZOne and then weak and depressed since he returned. However, it was Earth Man who trapped Mon in the Zone in the first place. WHY would she turn around and fall for the villain who trapped her man to begin with? Especially when said villain never had a single panel showing his rehabilitation, especially his bigoted attitudes toward aliens. AAAAARRRGGGHHH!
Agree 100%! Remember when Shady stood by AND married a severely injured Mon at the end of V3? Now THAT is the Shady I will always remember.

#613616 12/23/11 05:29 AM
in hiding
in hiding
I stand by my theory that the Shady we've been seeing since Levitz returned is being possessed by the Mother of Memory of the hill people of Talok VIII (whatever her real name is). What better way to get even with Mon-El for thwarting her bid for power a few years back?

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
#613617 12/23/11 08:21 AM
Leader
Leader
I wish and hope that were the case, Hermit. I think Paul was just going for shock value with the Shady/Earthman thing and threw all logic out the window.

#613618 12/23/11 10:30 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Set:
Cham's pretty lucky his shapechanging abilities allowed him to get onto the ship at all. It's got sensors that will detect a bug out of place, and yet he managed to open an exterior hatch and waltz right in!
Maybe the Dominators aren't too bright. You'd think that when the Legion has managed to foil your interplanetary domination plots they'd have some kind of flight ring or Durlan detector built into their star ships.

#613619 12/23/11 03:42 PM
Active
Active
I have hope to see Imra and Jeckie..soon.
At least both have been named in this number.

From UK with glamour.
#613620 12/23/11 06:41 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I wish and hope that were the case, Hermit. I think Paul was just going for shock value with the Shady/Earthman thing and threw all logic out the window.
Agreed.

BUT . . .
since the soft Nureboot, the one thing that we know for sure is that everyone is 5 years younger.
Right?
nod

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#613621 12/24/11 01:49 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Very happy with this issue....I think Chemical Kid taking Res-Vir down would have had more of an impact if Mon and Jo had lost to him last issue and there was a cliffhanger with an uber-powerful Daxamite turning on the less powerful Legionnaires whom he'd already beaten...as it was, it didn't really seem to have as much oomph because we had already seen Mon-El beat him without too much effort so we knew that even if Chem failed, the bad guy still wouldn't win.

It was still good to see though; I always like scenes where the more experienced Legionnaires tutor the newbies, and I like seeing the non-powerhouses take centre stage. This accomplished both of those things (plus, Element Lad is a natural mentor for Chem - I hope their relationship develops along these lines).

Not a great deal happened in this issue, but not every issue needs to be a huge event - more importantly, it didn't feel like we were just treading water as so many of the issues in the last series did. Almost everyone here had either some good action, or some good lines. I would like to see Dragonwing strut her stuff but we're about to get a storyline focused on her so I'm not too fussed about that.

...also looks like we are slowly getting Glorith's magic pinned down some more, and at the same time getting some tantalising reminders of a more familiar Glorith. At this stage I am inclined to think this Glorith is not the one who made the 5YL Legion's lives so difficult, and also that this Legion has never actually encountered that Glorith. It just seems too strange otherwise that nobody would have remarked on their identical names and time-related abilities. I am okay with this Glorith being nothing more than a callback to the old one though.

I also enjoyed the mentions of Imra and Jeckie....I could handle Jeckie being gone for a while, but I would really like to see Imra and Garth come back. I know a lot of people are over seeing the founders constantly, but I like them. And with the kids, they bring a supporting cast that the Legion is lacking currently.

#613622 12/24/11 02:42 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by jimgallagher: I wish and hope that were the case, Hermit. I think Paul was just going for shock value with the Shady/Earthman thing and threw all logic out the window.
Pretty much. Paul said right from the get-go that he was going to 'shake things up' by blowing up a planet and breaking up a long-established couple.

I remain a Shady fan. This mischaracterization isn't going to shake my love of the character any more than 'Wildire's suit is made from Red Tornado's robot body' affects my opinion of Wildfire, because I can put my hands over my ears and sing loudly that it never happened. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,077
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden