Roll Call
1 members (razsolo), 37 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added SUNSWORD 5 May*
by razsolo - 05/05/24 04:12 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes #6 (Preview & Spoilers)
#614542 10/23/10 11:54 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Matthew E:
[There have been situations in the past where Brainy has been deferential and obsequious toward a villain... and it's always been when Brainy's got whoever it is right where he wants them.
Like when? I'm drawing a blank.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#614543 10/24/10 12:14 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Online Content
Legionnaire!
R
^^^^One occasion that springs to my mind is the confrontation with the Time Trapper, just before he sicced the Infinite Man on him. Brainy was all "waah you're so cosmic and better than me" then BLAMMO! with the conflicting time theories! laugh

#614544 10/24/10 12:46 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
well ... i really hope B5 does put the smack down HARD. and Earth Gov while he's at it.

laugh

#614545 10/24/10 06:58 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I was just glad that Garth and Imra are going off-panel for awhile. Cos is stepping down as leader too. Now if only Brainy would take an extended trip to Colu or something, I would be happy. I really want to see other members shine.

Touch the magic...
#614546 10/24/10 12:40 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
[b]hmmm I am gonna tell Paul Levitz that he really wrote Brainiac 5 the wrong way...in fact, it is so OUT of characteristics of B-5 when he "cringed" or "afraid" of him...
I'm just thinking off the top of my head here, but actually it's not out of character for Brainy at all, necessarily. There have been situations in the past where Brainy has been deferential and obsequious toward a villain... and it's always been when Brainy's got whoever it is right where he wants them. So if that pattern holds, then maybe some tables are about to be turned. [/b]
nod

Either that, or he was momentarily shocked, but he'll get over it.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#614547 10/24/10 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Set:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
[b]
Originally posted by MYG:
[b] So is she seeing both Brin and Salu or what?
Now *that* would actually be a cool development. [/b]
While I'm getting the 'just friends' vibe, with the hand on the hip being a little 'easter egg' for those who remember them being more than friends in another continuity, it would certainly make sense for Winathians, already described as have some sort of dual marriages between twin-couples, in at least one continuity, being a bit more prone to 'double-dipping.'

Ayla + Brin + Vi would be amusing, and, if this model of Winathian dating holds up, it would be even more funny in regards to the current Garth + Imra + Rokk shenanigans. "Why didn't you tell me you wanted to date Rokk, too, honey? We can just add him to the marriage..." [/b]
rotflmao

Ah, the sweet, sweet sound of "canon repair."

Neither grouping is my primary OT3 of choice, but I'd read either, if the creative team handled them well. Sadly, that's an awfully big "if."

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#614548 10/24/10 12:44 PM
[snip]

Originally posted by Blacula:

My sad prediction though - Marte Allon is going to be the next victim of the Durlan Revenge Squad. frown
scream scream scream

Sorry. That needed to be let out in the worst way. [clears throat] Carry on, Fans.

#614549 10/24/10 12:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
There there. There there. Let it out.

#614550 10/24/10 12:50 PM
[snif!]

<span style="font-size: 10px;">Thank You.</span>

#614551 10/24/10 04:16 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
There have been situations in the past where Brainy has been deferential and obsequious toward a villain... and it's always been when Brainy's got whoever it is right where he wants them.
He WAS awfully quick with that replacement ring!
lol
"Oh, right, I just happen to have a new ring for you in my pocket, here."

Since the Magic Wars happened as Paul said and has now shown, Amethyst is out there waiting to be retrieved!
I wonder if it will be Mysa, who's already got too much power or if it will be someone else this time?

Everyone's made such interesting points and comments.
I don't know if I can add anything of interest.

I DO agree that I don't want Wolf to be like Wolverine, but I would like him to be more like his namesake, which isn't new information from me, but I think that being wolf like is very different from being wolverine like, although the names have the same root source, I think. Wolverine means little wolf, doesn't it?

I don't think that Brin would fit in to a Winathian society, especially if he's more 'wolfish'.
He's definitely an alpha and they like to be in control, even if he ISN'T wolf like.
I'd like Levitz to take this opportunity to switch up a few couples besides the ill considered Tasmia and Lar.
Brin works much better with Dawnstar, I think, and Ayla is better off with Salu, imo.

Wildfire needs an energy based girlfriend, or someone who won't get hurt by his fire - perhaps this new cadet, Dragonwing, for example.
Or perhaps, Comet Queen.
That's if the annoying ratio wouldn't fly off the charts with the two of them together!

Speaking of the cadets, they aren't redundent because they're sort of the next generation of Legionnaires, aren't they?
They can replace the older Legionnaires as they retire or take leaves or whatever.

And I was hoping to see Computo, Catspaw and Kid Quantum II as newbies.

And this isn't 'years' later for the cadets, it's just decades later for us.
They're in the Baxter years, so while they might have been branching out to the Subs or something, they're still okay in the Academy, aren't they?

I wish that DC would do Archives on all of those issues so that we had the stories from this era to look at, to refresh our memories and to consider what makes sense now and what doesn't.

And I certainly hope that Levitz doesn't make Rokk the Time Trapper!
ugh
I'd much rather it was Glorith than Rokk.

And I remember looking forward to Rokk's and Lydda's baby being born.
It was during the era of the Lords of Order and Chaos.
TMK had all of these hints and little symbols running through the parts of the story where their baby was concerned and I was so hoping that the baby would be a Lord of Order.
sigh

It was like when the reboot seemed to be grooming Dirk to be a fire elemental like Firestorm.
I was so excited about that possibility, too.
But both boots ended and nothing came of the possibilities.
shrug

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#614552 10/24/10 04:29 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Mediocre Boy:
Originally posted by Candle:
[b]I don't see why Brin has to be limited to powers that he had when he first appeared.
We know that he's entering a time when the chemicals in his body mutate him further...
In another thread (the Leadership one) moments ago I also pointed out that some legacies, behaviours, and predispositions should be coming into play in some characters, based on developments during the 5-Year gap that should apply even if history doesn't unfold in exactly the same way again.

. . . As for Brainy's seeming cowardice, yes, it bugs me, too. But we have to keep in mind that it may have been motivated by guilt, as I'm sure that Querl was well aware on some level that its morally wrong to to surreptitiously tamper with someone's free-will.[/b]
Paul certainly has a lot of wonderful possibilities to play with, that's for sure.
Whether he uses any of that wealth is just a certainly up to him.
sigh

And I, personally, don't think that Querl was ashamed or worried about controling EM's mind.
Dox's, in general, don't seem to have that kind of capability - remorse or empathy.

And on Chemical Kid, I think he looks a LOT like my Adam Lambert Condo in Bits . . .!
Kewl!
biggrinbounce
He also looks rather Asian in origin and maybe he's not just a Condo replacement, but perhaps he's this boot's Dragonmage.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#614553 10/25/10 12:05 AM
A
Active
Active
A
Was this the first time Computo was shown in the new series?

Anyway, it's the first time I noticed Computo in the new series.

#614554 10/25/10 06:36 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Just read LSH #6 - LLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVEDD IT! Definitely the best issue yet. Probably the best comic named Legion of Super-Heroes I've read since... Legion of the Damned. Somewhere around there at least.

I don't know if I'm even going to be able to remember all the things I loved about this issue -

* Portela's artwork - is incredible! He cannot leave this book! Everything he does is on point - facial expressions, costumes looking good, action, different body language and positions, architecture, backgrounds, futuristic looking equipment and rooms, spaceships, futuristic looking clothing, hair... I could go on and on. But I am going to single out three fantastic things that Portela did this issue that you would not see from 99% of other artists -

1. Look at the floor-rugs in the Allon's home. Just look at them! How intricate and detailed are they!! How many artists do you see going to that much effort for a quick throwaway scene like that one? Amazing.
2. Brin and Kirt's take-down of that ship - I could almost literally feel the movement coming off the page as they flew past it, grabbing the wings and pulling them off. Fantastic sequence that could have been completely pedestrian in another artist's hands.
3. The copycat panel of Tinya imitating Tasmia's explanation of why she slept with Kirt. Inspired! Using the same 'camera' angle and same body position in the two panels with only Tinya's mimicing face the difference brought that scene to life. How many other artists are out there being as creative as that? Fantastic.

Francis Portela is a future comics super-star (or at least he should be). IMO we should be very grateful for however long we hold onto him (which I hope is a LOOOOOONNNG time).

* I loved seeing Kirt bully and intimidate Querl like that! Brainy has been elevated to near omnipotent levels by some writers (and fans) over the last few years. He is not indestructable and can still be taken by surprise. This more human/vulnerable Brainy is a thousand times more interesting to me than the old one.

* I also really liked the 'personality enhancements' in Kirt's ring as being a possible explanation for his conversion. Or possibly not? Keeps the mystery of whose side he's really on going. I like that. I'm surprised by how much I've enjoyed Kirt's storyline in this book. I am still desperately hoping to see a smack-down between he and Troy though. That's been a long time coming.

* The Karate Kid scene - shocked me! I had glanced through this thread before reading this issue and spoiled myself to a couple of the events within it - but that one came as a total surprise. It's also doubley-surprising because I thought Paul (and pretty much every writer at DC) would probably want to wash their hands of that excreable Countdown series (and everything that happened in it - which Val's return and death were obviously a big part of) and we'd never see mention of it again. Yet here he (or someone like him) is again! VERY intrigued by this sub-plot.

* The colourist got Jeckie's hair colour right! YAY! Next stop Nura! And Dirk! And Ayla! And...

* Phil Jiminez' art was great too. I've criticised his work in the recent past but only because I know how absolutely fantastic he can be (check out his BEAUTIFUL Tempest mini from about a decade ago). But he really was wonderful here. His Luornu was gorgeous! (I wish she'd kept her cape though.)

* Speaking of whom - GREAT to see Luornu back in action! I missed Chuck though. But now I'm starting to really wonder if my Chuck as Green Lantern theory is going to come true. (I was the first to guess that, right?) I still love him as Bouncing Boy but since we're probably never going to see that again ( frown ) I'm actually getting really excited at the prospect of him as a Green Lantern. We'll see.

* The new recruits (and Comet Queen :rolleyes: ) - all looked fab. I can't help but feel this was a missed opportunity to introduce some more a) female characters, b) Earth-racial-minority characters, and c) non-humanoid characters to the Legion-verse though. I know we got one of each but I would've liked to see more! That said, Dragonwing looked AMAZING! Instantly my favourite. I like Chemical Kid too because of his similarity to the much-missed Condo but jury's out on the other two. Variable Lad's powers bore me and Gravity Kid seems superfluous. Hopefully they can die soon and more interesting characters take their place. Not to mention giving room to see Berta, Jed, et al. Talk about 'Always the bridesmaid, never the bride' When are those characters gonna catch a break?

* Rokk, Imra and Garth all taking a break!?! I approve!

* Poor Pol did die. I liked him but I'm glad to see Paul isn't doing any ret-conning here. P.S. It seemed clear to me that it was his mother's memory/spirit that Rokk was talking to there. Why some readers want to get their knickers in a twist and instantly jump to accusing Paul of senility/needlessly retconning things when there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for that panel, I'll never know.

* Finally - no Green Lanterns! YAY!

This book is definitely firing on all cylinders now IMO. I was a little sceptical of Paul being able to match his glory days on this book so many years later but I think I'm a believer now! Can't wait to see where things are headed. Very much looking forward to the Annual too! Vi's hand on Ayla's hip was such a tease! I need to know what's going on between those two now.

#614555 10/25/10 09:49 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
That last scene with Imra and Garth telling Rokk that they are headed out, is the first time I've seen Imra with that hair and thought she looked good.

Amazing how a different artist can turn that look around.

With Ayla and Tellus on the team, the team seems covered on those fronts, making it a good time for Garth and Imra to take a break (not that it's ever really lacked for people able to shoot energy blasts...). Both Ayla and (especially) Tellus could use the face time, as well.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#614556 10/25/10 11:27 AM
Leader
Leader
It seemed clear to me that it was his mother's memory/spirit that Rokk was talking to there. Why some readers want to get their knickers in a twist and instantly jump to accusing Paul of senility/needlessly retconning things when there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for that panel, I'll never know. .
THANK YOU!!!!!!

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#614557 10/25/10 03:36 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I thought this issue was the best yet, as well. Like Blacula, I'm really quite enamored with Portela's artwork, which I felt outshone even Phil's in this issue. Portela's stuff just breathes and draws you into the story in a way that Cinar's (though admittedly hampered by Faucher's overpowering inks) hasn't so far. If Francis Portela became the regular solo artist, I'd be absolutely in favor of it! (Possibly, he can't produce 20 pages a month, though...)

As for the controversy over the Brainy/Kirt scene and Brainy cowering in it, I like the suggestions that Brainy was merely giving Kirt the reaction that he expected. However, no one has considered that Kirt is the first to really call out Brainy on anything so far in the current series. How many times already have we seen Cos simply roll his eyes when Brainy defies his orders? Maybe Brainy is simply shocked that someone's finally showing some cajones with him and seriously calling him out for something he did? The other characters really seem to keep him at arm's length no matter what Querl pulls, and suddenly we have someone getting in his face about something!

At times, Brainy shows autistic traits in his current incarnation (and there's precedence in prior ones), and they can be especially adverse to confrontation and physical invasion of their space (trust me, I have some firsthand experience there). But whatever explanation you buy, it's good to see that haughty veneer pentrated just a bit for once. I'm not a huge Earth-Man fan, but it's nice to see someone take Brainy down a peg!

Lots of other stuff I liked and thought about but not much else to add at the moment to what's already been posted by others.

P.S. I find the running cockroach gag pretty funny, personally.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#614558 10/25/10 06:32 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Picked up my pull today at the CBS.

Haven't read anything yet but thought I should note this is the only Lee cover that got put in my pull of all 6 (and there were still a few copies of the standard cover on the shelf), which says to me demand for this series is DOWN.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#614559 10/25/10 07:21 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by Mattropolis:
I was just glad that Garth and Imra are going off-panel for awhile. Cos is stepping down as leader too. Now if only Brainy would take an extended trip to Colu or something, I would be happy. I really want to see other members shine.
I agree.

Of course, taking a leave of absence from the team doesn't necessarily mean we won't still see them. Hopefully less, but I don't think Paul will still check in on them occasionally.

I do like the idea of the founder and Brainy taking a back seat for the next arc.

#614560 10/25/10 07:27 PM
K
Active
Active
K
His Luornu was gorgeous! (I wish she'd kept her cape though.)
I'm not a fan of the new look. I can understand the desire to shift away from the split look she wore ever since the 1970s, but this is another design that is too close to the Silver Age version for me.

I think any costume she's worn since the Silver age would be better than this.

#614561 10/25/10 07:31 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
I thought this isse was the best yet, as well. Like Blacula, I'm really quite enamored with Portela's artwork, which I felt outshone even Phil's in this issue. Portela's stuff just breathes and draws you into the story in a way that Cinar's (though admittedly hampered by Faucher's overpowering inks) hasn't so far. If Francis Portela became the regular solo artist, I'd be absolutely in favor of it! (Possibly, he can't produce 20 pages a month, though...)

I wonder if Portela could become the full-time inker and part-time penciler. That way he and Cinar could share pencilling duties -- and Francis's embellising could pull the artwork together. But hey, if Portela could do all the work monthly, I'd be all for it.

#614562 10/26/10 12:03 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by kcekada:
His Luornu was gorgeous! (I wish she'd kept her cape though.)
I'm not a fan of the new look. I can understand the desire to shift away from the split look she wore ever since the 1970s, but this is another design that is too close to the Silver Age version for me.

I think any costume she's worn since the Silver age would be better than this.
It was more her hairstyle and face I was referring to... but I do like her current costume too. Though I concede it is very-much a call-back to her Adventure-era one.

But I like that era and its costumes so I'm cool with it.

#614563 10/26/10 12:34 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
It was more her hairstyle and face I was referring to... but I do like her current costume too.
I kinda love Lu's funky haircut, with her hair bobbing up and to the side. Her face is drawn very mature as well, which I kind of like.

Her outfit is kinda eh. Not bad, not great. Just there.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#614564 10/26/10 05:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I agree about Luornu's new look, hair and costume, I like both. Heck, just having her back, even with this new super SUPER power is enough to make this long-time fan happy!

#614565 10/27/10 05:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I agree with CT about Brainy. I think he was more surprised than anything else tha someone would just get in his face that easily.

Liked this issue the best so far...although the Jeckie thing was creepy...in an ewwwwww kinda way.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#614566 10/29/10 11:56 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I just picked up the issue today, and I totally agree it's the best issue so far. This was the Legion I was hoping for - so many characters packed into one issue. The artwork is Fantastic!!

A few comments/predictions:

1) Marte Allon will be threatened by Durlans, but not killed (some Gim/Yera panel time opportunity here).

2) Earth Man vs. Brainy - it occurred to me that maybe Kirt was able to negate and absorb the abilities of his "enhanced flight ring", the same way he absorbed the abilities of Sun Boy and Superboy thru the "Zoraz" costume way back when, and projected some kind of inhibitions on Brainy, which explains why B5 was taken aback so easily. It unconsciously was an empathic attack by E-Man on Brainy.

3) Jo and Tinya just rock together.

4) Maybe Vi and Ayla are just friends? It doesn't always have to be about sex.

5) The academy backup was awesome in every way. This is how backup stories can generate a lot of characterization (and action) in a large format title. The KK revelation, seeing Chemical King, and even the Lightle flying twin fishies was well worth admission price.

6) Prediction - Bouncing Boy is really on a secret Espionage Squad mission! Yeah!

7) Gravity Kid will be more visible than Starman in the Legion title. Maybe Starman has outgrown this title (age-wise) and will remain as a link to the 21st century DC?

8) The new Green Lantern will be Tyroc (complete with new uniform!). He is a legacy; a descendant from GL John Stewart, and will be a much more palatable character for Mr. Levitz with this new power.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,114
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Querl Dox
Querl Dox
Saline, Michigan