Roll Call
0 members (), 48 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 05:00 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes #6 (Preview & Spoilers)
#614567 10/30/10 12:11 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
[snip]

Originally posted by Tromium:

...Memo to Mr. Levitz: Don't think you can repeat your old habit of empowering female Legionnaires by emasculating the male ones (writing the men as weaklings, pawns, victims, dummies, a$$wipes, and losers whose manhood wouldn't fill out a junior-sized jockstrap.). This time it won't go unchallenged...

[blink blink]

I've read this review over and over again now for a few days running, but it's not helping. Were we even reading the same book back then, Tromium?

And... "skankification?"

Seriously?

shake

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#614568 10/30/10 12:22 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:

5) The academy backup was awesome in every way. This is how backup stories can generate a lot of characterization (and action) in a large format title. The KK revelation, seeing Chemical King, and even the Lightle flying twin fishies was well worth admission price.
Though I generally applaud DC's decision to lower all prices across their line to the $2.99 price point, I wish they'd let LSH remain at $3.99 with the extra pages. Issue 6 just shows the potential of this book at 30 pages so well that it's going to be a crying shame. The other extra-length books are hit and miss (mostly miss) with their co-features, but the extra pages and the potential for related backups as we saw this issue is just perfect for a team book with such a large membership!

Oh, well... sigh

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#614569 10/30/10 01:09 AM
Leader
Leader
CQ says Rokk hasn't been to the academy in parsecs. Isn't a parsec a measure of distance, not time?

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#614570 10/30/10 05:12 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
Though I generally applaud DC's decision to lower all prices across their line to the $2.99 price point, I wish they'd let LSH remain at $3.99 with the extra pages. Issue 6 just shows the potential of this book at 30 pages so well that it's going to be a crying shame. The other extra-length books are hit and miss (mostly miss) with their co-features, but the extra pages and the potential for related backups as we saw this issue is just perfect for a team book with such a large membership!

Oh, well... sigh
Unfortunately with sales lurching downward the way they are, this may be one thing that gets readers back (or new ones on board). Here's hoping anyway.

#614571 10/30/10 06:38 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
CQ says Rokk hasn't been to the academy in parsecs. Isn't a parsec a measure of distance, not time?
True.
But, CQ has always tended to talk in that 'valley girl' kind of way, like changing the meanings of words or not actually knowing their meanings or pretending not to know, anyway.
Inside joking, sort of.

Anyway, the 'valley girl' stuff seems dated, to me, but it might be in with the kids, now.
Perhaps, especially, the Japanese/manga/anima crowds.
shrug

(Paul might be more with it than we are!)
smile

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#614572 10/30/10 07:23 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Candle:
[b] CQ says Rokk hasn't been to the academy in parsecs. Isn't a parsec a measure of distance, not time?
True.
But, CQ has always tended to talk in that 'valley girl' kind of way, like changing the meanings of words or not actually knowing their meanings or pretending not to know, anyway.
Inside joking, sort of.

Anyway, the 'valley girl' stuff seems dated, to me, but it might be in with the kids, now.
Perhaps, especially, the Japanese/manga/anima crowds.
shrug

(Paul might be more with it than we are!)
smile [/b]
Yeah. I still don't "get" Comet Queen. I didn't then and I don't now. I guess I was hoping she would have grown up a bit now that a few years have passed. Oh well, I never really cared for her as a character anyway.
Her slang is definately way too dated for my tastes though. It's like she stuck in some retro time paradox or something like that.

#614573 10/30/10 10:39 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
WOW. Okay, I will need to go back and re-read everyone else's comments after posting this.

When I set this issue down last night, I was VERY SHOCKED... at how much I *LIKED* it. Far and away the best issue since Paul's return.

This was the first issue that left me satisfied upon completion.

We learn that Earth Man's changes WERE largely due to the flight ring manipulation... and he ISN'T such a nice guy at all (which he shouldn't be)... the Academy story was really good with GREAT ART... and Tenzil and the Legionnaire leader vote page was cute.

I was actually satisfied.

It was good to see Marte Allon, Chameleon Girl, Violet and hungry Ayla...

I liked this issue!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#614574 10/30/10 11:16 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
After re-reading the comments, I want to add:

yeah, the KK thing = MAJOR SHOCK and excitement! That came out of left space-field.

re: Brainy cowering... it struck me upon reading that he cowered a bit TOO much but by the time I finished the scene and thought for a moment, I realized-- he never suspected a dimbulb like Absorbancy Boy was going to find out about his master plan or whatever. Brainy... was GENUINELY surprised. And it freaked him out. The scene ultimatley works for me though it may have been portrayed as a SMIDGE over-the-top.

I see I wasn't the only one who felt this issue was the best yet.

I hope things continue to improve.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#614575 10/30/10 11:37 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
future king - remember that it really hasn't been a few years, story wise, for them.
For us, yes, but not really for them.

I've always liked CQ as a visual but not really much as a character because she was so specific in her language, appropriate for when she was introduced, but easily and quickly dated, like we've said.

Perhaps, now that she's been reintroduced in the retro boot, Paul will work on maturing her and bring her, like the rest of the Legion, up to date.
It's not just the hardware and techno stuff that have aged.

And about KK, someone here DID suggest that he should or would be treated like a Resurrection Man or someone of that nature, I think I might be paraphrasing.

It's a good idea, except, does he mature each time he's brought back and then, brought back at the age that he last died?
Or is it an eternal youth kind of thing?

I certainly prefer the former.
I'd feel very sorry for Jeckie if he always comes back at the same age as she met him, or like one of those 'there can only be one' guys and he never ages past the first time he was killed!

Fortunately, she could project a glamour to appear the same until she died but it would still be very difficult to deal with.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#614576 10/30/10 01:40 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Looking over issue six again, I'm struck by how much I prefer Cinar's art to Portela's, from the first half.

Although, from the Academy section, I like Jiminez more than either of them!

Dragonwing's look still blows me away!

I kind of dismissed the Tenzil appearance at the end, but looked at it a little more closely this time and noticed that Polar Boy had a lot of election posters up (and Sun Boy had one), suggesting that maybe Paul hoped to do some more with that Polar Boy-as-leader thing he had going on all those years ago, with Deputy Dirk.

*If* he was hoping to plant the notion in the reader's heads of Polar Boy as leader with those posters, it sure doesn't seem to have had much influence, from the 'exit polling' I've seen...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#614577 11/03/10 06:48 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Loved #6! My favorite issue so far. Lots of character scenes, Paul cleared up a lot of inconsistencies and we got to see several old friends (yay Marte Allon!).

Between this, Adventure and Supergirl Annual, I got three Legion comics in one trip to the CBS. I haven't been this enthusiastic and excited about the Legion since *I* was a teenager.

I like that Paul quasi-addressed the Karate Kid dangling plotline, since he obviously feels like we all do--that's it was a bunch of crap that Johns and Metzer threw in because they were smoking space weed.

I really liked the Tinya/Shady scenes.

Love that Ayla and Vi were obviously together in that scene but it's still up to interpretation.

Glad to see Gigi continue to be used as one of the to sci-cops.

The Academy sequence was awesome to see. Jimenez is just one of those artists born to draw the Legion. I hope he is the Legion Academy artist.

Luornu's new costume may be my favorite for her EVER. I wish some better explanation for her powers was used--perhaps the one Eryk and I speculated on in the continuity thread involving the Lu of the threeboot?

With the statues: are they all identifiable? I'll have to read through this thread to see if one of Legion World's posters were brillaint enough to list them all.

#614578 11/03/10 07:20 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Having re-read the thread, I have 2 more comments:

- First, I thought the Karate Kid stuff was pretty vague and unclear. In other words, there is a chance that Val isn't actually back?

- Chemical Kid looked like he was drawn as Asian by Phil. Did anyone else catch this?

#614579 11/03/10 07:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I did.

#614580 11/03/10 08:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ It was alluded to by me somewhere in my long post too.

#614581 11/03/10 08:57 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
- First, I thought the Karate Kid stuff was pretty vague and unclear. In other words, there is a chance that Val isn't actually back?
That's the impression I got, and I think the scene in the memorial room (or whatever) was meant to quiet speculation on who is or isn't dead.

"The Eternal Champion" is a concept I first read about in Michael Moorcock's fiction, and Paul may be going for something similar here.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#614582 11/04/10 03:06 PM
Active
Active
ill be happy to have Val back in the legion...i dont care about death being permanet in comics...death's perm in the real word let comics be a fantasy.

Bring back the super-cousins
#614583 11/04/10 04:55 PM
Leader
Leader
I agree as long as it doesn't keep happening again and again for the same character, which is the case here. That gets a little tiresome, imho.

#614584 11/04/10 05:00 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I agree as long as it doesn't keep happening again and again for the same character, which is the case here. That gets a little tiresome, imho.
If there's a good story behind it (as Paul suggests this issue), I'm all for it.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#614585 11/05/10 02:07 PM
Active
Active
Has the obvious not been mentioned about the so-called return of Karate Kid? Could this not be some elaborate hallucination conjured up by Jeckie? Creating illusions is her power, after all. I'm feeling shades of Scarlet Witch's non-twins all over again.

#614586 11/05/10 03:09 PM
Leader
Leader
They've done that with her a couple of times before, so it would be kind of redundant, but I hope you're right, because as I said I'm tired of KK being killed and revived repeatedly.

#614587 11/05/10 04:45 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I for one am very happy that Val Armorr is back and will be bummed out if he turns out to be just an illusion.

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#614588 11/06/10 09:00 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
They've done that with her a couple of times before, so it would be kind of redundant, but I hope you're right, because as I said I'm tired of KK being killed and revived repeatedly.
Noone on here would be happier to see Val return than myself. He is the first, true Karate Kid, but I'm tired of him being killed and brought back also.
If he does come back I agree that it should be the final time as it would start to get a bit cheesy after that.

Bringing him back in a clever way that would be "believable" is the tricky part though.
I certainly don't want it to be someone new. It's just my own preference as I am a fan of the original. Having him have amnesia would be ok too. That would leave the door open to him becoming his own person again and forging new friendships/relationships instead what the fans, including myself, might want.

#614589 11/07/10 10:17 AM
Active
Active
maybe KK will come back, dump Jeckie, and start dating Earth-Man.

Gorilla Nebula
#614590 11/07/10 11:49 AM
Leader
Leader
If he does come back, I think they need to establish that he has Immorto's power.

#614591 11/07/10 11:54 AM
Leader
Leader
Speaking of Earth Man. If he's staying with the Legion, I think he needs a new name and a new costume. It would help disassociate him from his former villainous ways and besides, his name should be more descriptive of his powers. His current name speaks of his prejudice against aliens. Leach springs to mind. Not a very complimentary name, but since I don't care for the character, it works for me.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,104
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024