Roll Call
1 members (Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad), 114 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/29/24 12:25 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 10:28 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/28/24 08:39 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:30 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:28 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:26 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Multi-verse and New Earth?
#615214 12/08/10 10:32 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Since I shamefully had discontinued comics for many years, the leaps and bounds by DC have sometimes become overwhelming for me. One of these is the Milti-verse. If I currently understand things, there are 52 univierses, each similiar yet with its differance in characters and history.

What is the current universe for the original and current legion comic? The same? What is it called?

As for New Earth, I'd like a simplistic explanation of how things happened to create this New Earth. Does it fill the exact space and time as the old earth? Is it in the Sol solar system even? Help!

I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.
Re: Multi-verse and New Earth?
#615215 12/08/10 10:52 PM
strange but not a stranger
From my understanding, New Earth is the old Earth-1 but with elements of Earth-2 i.e. the Jutice Society; Earth-S i.e. Captain Marvel; Earth-C i.e. the Charlton characters. Again from my understanding (and I really didn't pay much attention to the details in 52) New Earth was formed during Crisis when all the multiverses combined into one universe. Then it was just called Earth, When 52 gave us this new (and in my opinion limited) multiverse, Earth got the designation of New Earth.

The Legion would be of New Earth. Again I didn't pay too much attention in Legion of Three Worlds to which Earth the reboot and the threeboot Legions were from.

Hope that helps.

IMHO, DC really clouded the waters when they did Crisis.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#615216 12/08/10 11:07 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Yes, very cloudy waters indeed. So New Earth would occupy the same location in space as regular earth would, in relation to other solar systms? I'm thinking mapping here.

I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.
#615217 12/08/10 11:11 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Yes. For the sake of the DCU proper, New Earth is earth.

In one of those big crossovers, it was stated that the Reboot Legion was from Earth-247, but I don't think that's still the case. The Threeboot Legion, on the other hand, is the Legion of Earth Prime.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#615218 12/09/10 01:34 AM
Active
Active
The Reboot team was indeed from Earth-247, a universe that was destroyed. As far as we know, they are still wandering the Multiverse looking for other survivors of their universe.

By the way, Quis, I could be wrong, but I remember Earth-C as being Captain Carrot's universe. Earth-4 was the home of the Charlton characters.

#615219 12/11/10 12:31 AM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Huh??

#615220 12/11/10 11:42 AM
G
Active
Active
G
Earth C was indeed the home of Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo-Crew. Earth C- was home to the Just a-Lot of Animals (who were only comic book characters on Earth C). I believe that Earth 4 was established as the home to the Charlton Characters durring CoIE. Earth S was home to the Shazzam Family, but then it was switched to Earth 5 to maintain a numbering system rather than a lettering system. The Reboot Legion was 'revealed' to be from Earth 247 (so named for Adventure Comics #247) during IC... which makes no sense what so ever for any of the circumstances before, durring or after CoIE, IC or FC .... but go figure.

#615221 12/12/10 10:24 PM
Active
Active
The Multiverse as explained at Comicvine.com:

When Alexander Luthor assembled several different superheroes and attached them to the Anti-Monitor's corpse, he began to recreate the Multiverse that was destroyed in the Crisis on Infinite Earths. His goal was to find the "perfect" Earth, where he and his cohorts could live in peace.

"He split our Earth into thousands of divergant worlds, but the planets he manifested were unstable. Trapped in the Time-Stream, I watched worlds live and die -- until Conner Kent sacrificed his life to save our reality. The broken Earths collapsed back together, combining historical remnants to form one new Earth -- one far too small to containt the energy within it. In a cosmic act of self-preservation, as you just saw, it began replicating. Unknown to anyone, save myself, a new Multiverse was born in the wake of this crisis. 52 identical Earths in 52 identical cosmos." -- Rip Hunter to Booster Gold

When Mr. Mind discovered this new Multiverse, he planned to feed on its energies -- histories, time-space, intelligence -- until nothing was left. Rip Hunter, Booster Gold and his ancestor Daniel Carter set off to stop him. However, in their battle, the entire Multiverse was left changed. The previously identical 52 worlds were now all unique from one another.

EARTH-0 New Earth
The main and central DC Universe.

EARTH-1
Home of a younger superman Superman, first appeared in the original graphic novel Superman: Earth One.

EARTH-2
The world of a new and unique Justice Society Infinity. The Kal-L of this world is missing. Visited by the New Earth Power Girl.

EARTH-3
Home to the Crime Society of America. The Earth-2 to the Anti-Matter Earth's Earth-1- the villains are based on Golden Age heroes. The two may have annual team ups.

EARTH-4
This world appears to house classic Charleton brand comic characters, including Dan Garrett (the original Blue Beetle), and Captain Allen Adam, with added inspiration from Watchmen.

EARTH-5
Home to a version of the Marvel Family more similar to the Golden Age incarnation. Similar to the Pre-Crisis Earth-S.

EARTH-6
Ray Palmer is the Ray.

EARTH-7
Courtney Whitmore is Starwoman.

EARTH-8
Home of Lord Havok and the Extremists . Very similar to the Marvel Universe. Similar to the pre-Crisis world of Angor.

EARTH-9
Home of the Tangent heroes. This Earth's history is radically different- the Atom acidentally causes a nuclear war in 1961, and Superman takes over the world later.

EARTH-10
Home to Uncle Sam and his Freedom Fighters, who fight against the Nazis after the Nazis win World War II and take over the world. Also home to a Nazi Superman. Similar to the Pre-Crisis Earth-X.

EARTH-11
Home of heroes with reversed genders. For example, Superwoman. Batwoman and Wonderman. The Superwoman and Batwoman of this Earth first appeared before the creation of the 52 in Superman/Batman.

EARTH-12
The setting of the DC Animated Universe, which began with Batman: The Animated Series. Home to the Terry McGinnis version of Batman.

EARTH-13
World of dark and arcane heroes.

EARTH-14
unknown

EARTH-15
Perhaps a perfect Earth with Zod as Superman and Jason Todd as Batman. Destroyed by Superboy-Prime.

EARTH-16
Home of the Super Sons and the characters from the Young Justice animated series.

EARTH-17
A devastated world home to the Atomic Knights. Similar to the original Atomic Knights stories.

EARTH-18
A world where superheroes began in the Old West.

EARTH-19
A world where superheroes such as Batman and the Blue Beetle fought crime in the Victoria era as seen in Gotham by Gaslight.

EARTH-20
A world influenced by early 20th century pulp fiction. Home to a Doc Savage/ Dr. Fate pastiche named Doc Fate, as well as a version of the Bat-Man.

EARTH-21
A world where superheroes where around in the 1950s. Vigilantism was outlawed in the 1950s before the heroes banded together to fight a sentient island, as seen in The New Frontier.

EARTH-22
A world where Superman was exiled after Magog killed the Joker, leading a generation of violent anti-heroes to take over, as seen in Kingdom Come.

EARTH-23
unknown
EARTH-24
unknown
EARTH-25
unknown

EARTH-26
Home of Captain Carrot and the Amazing Zoo Crew.

EARTH-27
unknown
EARTH-28
unknown
EARTH-29
unknown

EARTH-30
A world where Superman landed in the USSR instead of America, eventually becoming the premier of the USSR, as seen in Red Son.

EARTH-31
Home to a violent Batman, a subservient Superman and more, as seen in the Dark Knight Returns and related titles.

EARTH-32
The Batman: Darkest Knight earth.

EARTH-33
All the heroes are magic; including Oracle, Kal-El and Bat-Mage, and some heroic versions of villains, such as Weather Wizard and Shade.

EARTH-34
A world where Wonder Woman was active in the Victorian Era and fought Jack the Ripper, as seen in Amazonia.

EARTH-35
unknown
EARTH-36
unknown

EARTH-37
A world where Barbara Gordon became Batgirl in the 1960s and fought corrupt cops and a female Joker alongside Robin, as seen in Batman: Thrillkiller.

EARTH-38
Captain Atom and the Atomic Knights

EARTH-39
Dan Garrett has the Blue Beetle Scarab armor.

EARTH-40
A world where superheroes active in the 1940s worked for the US government and were active against the Nazis, as seen in JSA: The Liberty Files.

EARTH-41
unknown
EARTH-42
unknown

EARTH-43
A world where Batman became a vampire and fought against them, as seen in the Red Rain series.

EARTH-44
Doc Tornado and the Metal Men

EARTH-45
unknown
EARTH-46
unknown
EARTH-47
unknown

EARTH-48
Forerunner's homeworld.

EARTH-49
Firestorm has turned the sun red. Superman and Supergirl have to wear Superboy-Prime style armor to keep powers.

EARTH-50
The Wildstorm Universe

EARTH-51
The Utopian society. This world was protected by Nix Uotan and destroyed in the battle between Monarch and Superman Prime . The New Gods immigrated here following the Final Crisis.

EARTH-PRIME
Home Of Superboy Prime . Revealed in Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds #5. Unlike Earth-2 that created duplicates of its lost inhabitants Earth Prime was missing Superboy Prime. May be part of the 52 but unrevealed so far.

ANTI-MATTER EARTH
Home to the planet Qward, the Anti-Monitor and the Crime Syndicate of Amerika.

EARTH-247
Both created and destroyed in Infinite Crisis. Home of the Post Zero Hour Legion of Super-Heroes who survived its destruction. Revealed in Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds #1

Listen to the Completely Comics Podcast at http://completelycomics.wordpress.com/
#615222 12/12/10 10:41 PM
shocked Yep Earth-C is for Captain Carrot and the amazing zoo crew. As soon as I read it, i realized my mistake.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#615223 12/13/10 10:12 AM
World's Oldest Boomerang Kid
World's Oldest Boomerang Kid
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
IMHO, DC really clouded the waters when they did Crisis.
THIS TO INFINITY! scream

As I understand it, the folks running DC at the time thought that DC had to try to be more like Marvel, which included keeping everyone in the same Universe [although Marvel did use alternate universes, too--original Squadron Supreme, anyone?], plus it was thought that the Multiverse was too complex for new readers. confused

Which, of course, led to the side effect of turning John "Stimpy" Byrne loose on Superman--and hence the Legion's history, because he thought Superboy had to go--derailing the magnificent Levitz era of the LSH, and forcing the writers to scramble to reboot the Legion. Although some fine stories came out of the various reboots, the Legion never recovered. mad scream mad

So what does Marvel do about 15-20 years later? Marvel brings out Ultimate Marvel--ANOTHER UNIVERSE--and it's a smash hit, showing that a Multiverse can work after all. mad

Note: I call Byrne "Stimpy" because of his tendency to push the History Eraser Button. wink

If your klordny lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical attention.
#615224 12/13/10 12:30 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Some corrections and clarifications of previous things in this thread.

Pre-Crisis Earth 5 and Earth S were separate (and Earth 5 was rarely used because typography at the time between "S" and "5" was so similar). It's only in the 52 that the Marvel Family hails from Earth 5.

Earth Prime is part of the 52 but it hasn't been revealed which one it is yet.

Earth 247 was a Pre-Crisis world and existed again briefly in Infinite Crisis. It's now gone again with just the Reboot Legion ("The New Wanderers") left.

A lot of Earths on Crymsun Kid's list were only revealed in Countdown and related minis (particularly Arena), and may therefore be apocryphal.

Morrison is setting out to do "Multiversity" which should give some better definition to the Multiverse next year.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,983
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
jab
jab
mini mall island