Roll Call
1 members (stile86, stile86, stile86), 37 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Levitz back to writing Legion, leaving DC presidency?
#616887 11/22/09 09:23 PM
Leader
Leader
Yeah, bring back letter columns!

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#616888 11/22/09 09:32 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Yeah, bring back letter columns!
And other fan-interaction, like Legion Leader votes! IMO, fans are *way* more likely to be invested and enthusiastic about a series that feels like 'theirs' in some way, that they've, however minutely, had some say in, and not just a product being sold to them.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#616889 11/23/09 12:58 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^^^ Yes to more fan interaction. No to Legion leader votes. They just turn into popularity contests and I've seen more than enough of Rokk, Imra, Garth and Querl over the last 10 years to want to see any of them hogging more space as Legion leader.

Unless there's a fan of one of the more little-seen members of this team out there who's prepared to rig the votes in favour of their hero like that Dream Girl fan who got her elected way back when.

#616890 11/23/09 04:38 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
They had a Legion leader contest over at the DC boards recently, and I think Dawnstar won it.

So yeah, maybe not. Maybe just BITS of Legion Business style contests where fans submit ideas for people to get rejected at tryouts or new costumes or something...

#616891 11/24/09 11:02 PM
Leader
Leader
Well, the way they did the elections in the olden days was to disqualify anyone who had already served. That would eliminate Rokk, Garth, Imra, and Brainy, along with Ultra Boy, Mon-El, Wildfire, Dream Girl, Element Lad, Polar Boy, Sensor Girl. I miss anyone who isn't dead?

#616892 11/24/09 11:32 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I grew fond of Ayla and Tinya kind of backseat moving things along (and smoothing over Garth's rough patches) during the last Shooter run. It might be neat to see one of them as leader. Or Lu, for that matter.

#616893 11/24/09 11:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What if they elected Tyroc? That should be... interesting?

#616894 12/01/09 06:54 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well, the way they did the elections in the olden days was to disqualify anyone who had already served. That would eliminate Rokk, Garth, Imra, and Brainy, along with Ultra Boy, Mon-El, Wildfire, Dream Girl, Element Lad, Polar Boy, Sensor Girl. I miss anyone who isn't dead?
I think they should allow any of the founders the chance at leadership if they were the majority vote. At least at the start of Levitz's new run. After that I would like to see members have a try at it that were too new or inexperienced before (Dawnstar). That would be really great.

#616895 12/01/09 10:36 AM
K
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
K
I'd like to see a popular vote to keep the readers more involved (and therefore loyal), and TPTB choose from the top three a leader that they can work with and that fits into their plot plans. What Levitz managed to do with the election of Dream Girl was seamless and brilliant, but more than I could expect a second time.

Speaking of Tyroc, Mr Levitz, might we just give him a canary cry and abandon all the magical/interdimentional undefinable horsefeathers we've been subjected to the last 30 years?

#616896 12/01/09 04:16 PM
Honorary
Honorary
I can't recall Tyroc using his powers since he helped move the pocket universe earth into our universe (which I thought was a brilliant idea at the time) at the end of the Valor series. So we really haven't been subjected to much for like fifteen years. But why limit Tyroc? If Zatanna can produce nearly any effect by just talking backwards, why can't Tyroc do concievably the same thing, by finding the right note? Tyroc could then be established as one of the great powers of the Legion, with the supers, Wildfire, and Element Lad. We really haven't added anyone like that since Wildfire, someone who shakes up the status quo, just with how powerful they are.

#616897 12/01/09 05:25 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
The White Witch could do pretty much anything.

Kid Quantum II was insanely powerful as well.

#616898 12/01/09 08:14 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Right, I was actually thinking about including the White Witch, but she usually needed like a couple hours of preparation/meditaion to do the big stuff. Except for her "absorb Mordru" spell, which she always keeps handy. Anyway, since it seems she won't be on the active roster for some time, Tyroc could easily pick up in her niche.

Kid Q II... time freeze, right? Stasis field. Lots of applications, but I'm not sure she's up with the big boys. Kind of like in the Star Boy area, when all's he's got is gravity powers. Personally, I'd leave her in the second tier, I think.

#616899 12/01/09 08:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Ferro Man:
If Zatanna can produce nearly any effect by just talking backwards, why can't Tyroc do concievably the same thing, by finding the right note? Tyroc could then be established as one of the great powers of the Legion,
Didn't Superman reestablish a multi-verse or something by whistling? I didn't really get all that final crisis stuff but I think that was the gist of it.

#616900 12/01/09 08:28 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Ferro Man:

Kid Q II... time freeze, right? Stasis field. Lots of applications, but I'm not sure she's up with the big boys. Kind of like in the Star Boy area, when all's he's got is gravity powers. Personally, I'd leave her in the second tier, I think.
At least by DnA's run, she had to the power to "manipulate matter at a quantum level" or somesuch. In other words, she could basically do anything.

#616901 12/01/09 11:25 PM
Honorary
Honorary
If that's the case (I don't recall it but I'll take your word for it) then she's the Molecule Man and we don't need any other Legionnaires. Of course, when you come down to it, there shouldn't be a problem that the team of Brainiac 5, Element Lad, Mon-El and Saturn Girl couldn't take care of. They might get tired after a while though...

#616902 12/02/09 03:50 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Enormous post eaten. Grr. Take my word that it was a thing of beauty and I would have won an internet for it. smile

Short version.

Tyroc's powers would be neat if they were just codified as sonic / vibrational based. With no effort at all, he could be said to be able to resonate his harmonics or whatever and destroy matter, make it explode or even reinforce it structurally. This being the DCU, where the Flash tells us that you can vibrate your molecules to pass through solid matter would mean that Tyroc could plausibly produce a tone that would cause a solid item to become intangible. Or he could vibrate it's outer molecules (or agitate the air around it) to set it on fire, or counter the vibrations of the air around it / the object itself to freeze it solid.

Emotion effects or sickening / nauseating effects would be easy enough, with a little technobabble about him using subsonic to affect the fear centers of the brain, or induce vertigo and nausea through destabilizing the internal organs / vibrating the fluids in the inner ear, etc.

And that's without getting into Thetan stuff, or tapping into the Marvel Universe's most head-scratchingly insane idea ever, *hard sound.*

As for Kid Quantum, she seemed to be time control lass, which was a pretty cool power, even if she just slowed down and froze people. It would be even cooler if she could speed people up, similar to the Mutant Liberation Front character Tempo.

aitchteeteepee://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempo_(comics)

A Kid Quantum with powers more evocative of quantum theory might have a Carggite-like ability to duplicate herself, but by summoning up selves from alternative quantum realities adjacent to her own (or not-so-adjacent, perhaps leading to her often calling versions of herself that are *radically* different). Such a character, in theory, would be Choose Your Own Path Lass, able to flit in and out of quantum alternatives to the current reality, and see in advance what things 'didn't work,' and advice her teammates to 'choose the right path.'

So, not only would she stomp all over Triplicate Girl's schtick, she'd also be peeing on Dream Girl's tree as well. It's probably for the best if Kid 'Quantum' doesn't really have much to do with quantum mechanics or quantum theory...

#616903 12/02/09 08:03 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Kid Quantum II was great when she just had stasis field/time freeze powers.

Why DnA had to muddle her up by giving her the power to do almost anything I'll never know. Talk about ruining a great character.

It's interesting to think though that between her and Tyroc - two of the Legion's most powerful members ever are black. Shame we so rarely got to see either of them.

I'd love it if Levitz brought Tyroc back(*) and treated him with a level of respect though - but I'm not holding my breath. Doesn't Levitz hate him?

(* As long as he got rid of all that EEOOYYOO and OGGAAEEE and HHOOAAII junk. That stuff was painful to read!)

#616904 12/02/09 09:52 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Blacula:

I'd love it if Levitz brought Tyroc back . . . As long as he got rid of all that EEOOYYOO and OGGAAEEE and HHOOAAII junk. That stuff was painful to read!)
Oh, I dunno. That's part of what made Tyroc one of my most very fav characters ever when I was a kid. I mean, when it came to imitating the adventures of my heroes, I couldn't run super-fast, or bend steel in my bare hands, but, by golly, I sure could scream at the top of my lungs.

I must also admit that, even though I knew better than to jump off the garage roof in an attempt to fly, I always suspected, deep in the back of my mind, that if I could just duplicate a Tyroc scream just right, something weird might happen.

Weirdest thing that ever happened though was my mother swinging a broom handle at my head in an attempt to get me to "SHUT THE HELL UP!"

=)

#616905 12/02/09 10:07 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Blacula:

It's interesting to think though that between her and Tyroc - two of the Legion's most powerful members ever are black. Shame we so rarely got to see either of them.
Of course, the reason we didn't see much of them is probably connected to the fact that they were so uber-powerful.

As far as Tyroc, I'd give him a limited, specified number of screams. Maybe he could periodically learn a new one or something.

I'd keep the KQ's with fairly limited time-manipulation powers rather than the vague "I was reading a pop physics book the other day and thought of a cool idea for something she could do" powers.

#616906 12/02/09 12:21 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Actually, EDE's guidelines work for any character on a team. It's a team, Folks. No one person should be able to do everything and anything, or it defeats the reason for having a team.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#616907 12/02/09 02:14 PM
Leader
Leader
True, otherwise, you have to invent a Time trapper to keep the more powerful members busy on a "special mission."

#616908 12/02/09 09:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
PofoBoy - Your poor mother. smile

Re: Tyroc - Instead of all that OOEEYYOOO stuff, what would people think of him using musical notes to activate his powers?

The idea of him singing up a dimension door rather than screaming it like some unhinged lunatic seems like it would work better on the page to me.

#616909 12/02/09 10:50 PM
Leader
Leader
Why can't they just make him like Banshee? He's powerful enough, without being omnipotent.

When do Levitz and the Legion take over the book?

#616910 12/03/09 04:13 AM
Active
Active

When do Levitz and the Legion take over the book?
My understanding is that it will be once the Robinson Legion-in-the-21stC storyline finishes which appears to be in Superman #700 which comes out in May. So the Adventure Annual that starts PL's run is likely to come out in late May/June.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#616911 12/03/09 02:10 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,107
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
legionboy
legionboy
BGTZL