Roll Call
0 members (), 58 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/14/24 09:18 PM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by Pov - 05/14/24 09:11 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/14/24 08:53 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/14/24 08:52 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Sarcasm Kid - 05/14/24 08:49 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/14/24 08:44 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes Fansets Pins
by Nightcrawler - 05/14/24 08:43 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/14/24 08:42 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LSH31 #10: Spoilers
#617852 01/16/08 03:33 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Really enjoyed this issue. Felt the premise was solid and fun, Garth was great and Imra certainly showed some kick-buttness (although there were some panels where I thought she should be saying something). There were certainly some very funny moments (Valdius not being able to get through the door) but nothing that was overly obnoxious or came out of left field. A lot of times the Johnny DC line is too juvenile, esp in the humor department.

I say this issue ranks up there with the Infectious Lass issue as personal faves. I just felt this was a really good Legion story.

Oh, I just realized I should probably add some spoilers.

It starts out with Lightning Lad asking Saturn Girl why she isn't coming to the concert but she has monitor duty. So LL decides to ditch the concert to keep Imra company. While the others leave we see Tharok and the Emerald Empress appear on the monitor screen announcing to Imra that the Fatal Five have taken over Legion HQ. Imra then proceeds to go on the run from Validus, Mano and Persuader while LL shorts out Tharok's control panel.

Imra and LL eventually meet and turn the tables on Mano, Valdius and Persuader, then they go to take down Tharok and Emerald Empress. The Empress frees the eye and teleports the rest of the five away. LL and Imra almost share a moment (for the second time in the issue) but Brainy and Bouncing Boy show up and Brainy wants to know what caused the power core to short out. LL says that "Sparks flew" (which made me smile, that was so corny yet adorable). That's pretty much the general overview.

But yeah, really good issue. Really recommend it. Oh, and apparently they are saying that since Imra is a telepath she can make people 'see' things that aren't there. So I doubt Projectra would ever appear because Imra can produce illusions.

Long Live the Legion!
Re: LSH31 #10: Spoilers
#617853 01/16/08 06:38 PM
M
Candidate
Candidate
M
Thanks for the kind words, Steph. As far as Saturn Girl's powers go, I was just playing on the powers she's displayed so far in the cartoon. Often you see her projecting images of monsters and the like, so I ran with the version they've established for us.

Anybody else have thoughts on my first Legion issue? I'd like to hear them, good or bad.

#617854 01/16/08 09:36 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Matthew K. Manning:

Anybody else have thoughts on my first Legion issue? I'd like to hear them, good or bad.
I agree with Steph... one of the better issues... the Imra/Garth relationship develops nicely... reliable villains... some nice humour (suggestion E. Empress get contacts was my favourite line). I'd be happy to see you write some more... hope you like Luornu!

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#617855 01/17/08 11:13 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I threegree!

My first thought was, oh no, not the Fatal Five *again* but here they do a decent job keeping Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad busy for the entire issue. It also got me thinking what a rare occurrence it is to see Imra and Garth kicking butt as a "team" unto themselves, even after 50 years together.

The character portrayals were excellent. Garth's been something of a conceited jackass, so it's a refreshing change to see him boyishly tounge-tied around Imra, yet perfectly competent against the bad guys. Imra was iron-butt without being ice-queen. The Validus scene was exceptionally cute (whether you got the insider joke, or not), and Brainy accusing Bouncing Boy of messing with the power core from the concert had me giggling.

Alex Serra's art is growing on me and improving with each issue. If that's what rats look like in the 31st century, I'd get hysterical, too. My only nitpick is that Lightning Lad was drawn too young looking, but it didn't spoil anything.

The series has been hit or miss for me. Last month's story missed by a mile, this month's was a home run. More of this caliber, please.

#617856 01/17/08 01:53 PM
M
Candidate
Candidate
M
Hey Cargg,

Glad you liked the issue. Stay tuned, I just sent a Duo Damsel pitch in, so hopefully you'll see more of our favorite multiple personality in the near future.

Tromium,

So far you're the first to notice the inside "mother" joke. Glad you enjoyed it. I tried to add a few little touches like that for longtime Legion fans. I also had a few signs in Interlac that were supposed to be in the background, but for whatever reason, those never saw the light of day. That's something I'm going to push for more in future issues, so keep reading.

#617857 01/17/08 02:06 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Tromium:
I threegree!
You should copyright that word. I've never heard it before. If Pat Riley can copyright threepeat you are a shoe in! wink

Oh and I will be reading the comic soon.

#617858 01/17/08 02:35 PM
Active
Active
Hey Cargg,

Glad you liked the issue. Stay tuned, I just sent a Duo Damsel pitch in, so hopefully you'll see more of our favorite multiple personality in the near future.

Matthew - does this mean Lu is going to lose one of her 3 bodies in the comic? I'm hoping this situation is just temporary in the cartoon.

#617859 01/17/08 02:52 PM
M
Candidate
Candidate
M
We're not going to be there for a while yet, but this story takes place during Season 2, right after Luornu loses one of her selves. It's really a tale of how she copes with losing part of herself at that moment in time, so whether or not she regains her third body in the show won't really effect the story either way.

But it's still in the planning stages, and a long way off, if the issue ever comes out. I think we're really trying to play with those in between years before season two right now, since there's plenty of stories to tell there. That way no one steps on the cartoon's toes.

#617860 01/17/08 03:24 PM
Active
Active
We're not going to be there for a while yet, but this story takes place during Season 2, right after Luornu loses one of her selves. It's really a tale of how she copes with losing part of herself at that moment in time, so whether or not she regains her third body in the show won't really effect the story either way.

thanks Matthew... sounds great... I hope it happens and your story is accepted

#617861 01/17/08 04:34 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Tromium,

So far you're the first to notice the inside "mother" joke.
I'm proud to say I did take note of it in my review .

#617862 01/18/08 12:42 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Mr. Manning,you write for DC? I have a concept that I have enough faith in that I feel could make it big. Since you have published works could you take a look at what I have or possibly give me some tips names I could email to have my ideas considered. Any help would be much appreciated.

Jin Rai!!!
#617863 01/18/08 08:47 AM
M
Candidate
Candidate
M
Matthew E.,

Thanks for the review, I really enjoyed reading it. I'm glad you liked my handling of Lightning Lad and the action sequences. I always try to make every fight scene something people haven't seen before.

As for the "Danger Room", since it was established on the cartoon, I thought I'd use it in my story. It made for an interesting way for Tharok to attack our heroes using their own headquarters against them.

Dairaioh,

Sorry, I'm not really allowed to read other people's scripts and pitches and what not. And since DC doesn't accept unsolicited submissions, your best bet is to meet the editors themselves at conventions or other similar events. Or go the self-publishing route and make sure to get your published comics into the right hands. Those we can read and give you feedback on. Hope that helps a little.

#617864 01/18/08 01:00 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
As for the "Danger Room", since it was established on the cartoon, I thought I'd use it in my story. It made for an interesting way for Tharok to attack our heroes using their own headquarters against them.
Oh, I know it's not your fault. It's the same problem with the Legion writers who keep borrowing Wolverine's characteristics for Timber Wolf. Neither necessary nor dignified.

#617865 01/18/08 06:59 PM
M
Candidate
Candidate
M
Well hopefully you'll like my portrayal of Timber Wolf as he takes the spotlight in my next issue. The issue was originally scheduled as issue 12, but I'm assuming it will be issue 13 now that 12 has been solicited.

And don't worry, he's not facing off with the Fatal Five this time around.

#617866 01/18/08 07:33 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Well, the cartoon Timber Wolf is already too animalistic for me. I prefer the alienated super-acrobat that he was originally conceived to be.

It's probably a good thing you aren't putting him up against the Fatal Five; we've already had that story (in Abnett and Lanning's The Legion #16-17 or thereabouts) and it's a tough act to follow.

Anyway, if #13 turns out half as well as this issue did, I'll enjoy it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,318
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires