Roll Call
0 members (), 65 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/08/24 12:14 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Which New Academy Member Will Join Next?
#620629 02/14/11 12:53 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Grandpa Jed!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#620630 02/18/11 11:23 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I always thought Nightwind had all the right stuff to become a member. She has a pretty good power and a yellow blue haired lady would add some nice variety to the team. Agree with those that think she needs a different costume. Power Boy looks great but his power set would need some tinkering with. Just being strong isn't going to do it. I agree with those who are thinking that some of these are going to end up on a new team. Would be great to see at least one get to graduate to the main team though.

#620631 02/18/11 12:53 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Tom Tanner:

Incidentally, purple skin is a sign of silver poisoning.

This guy was in the news recently.
Oh my!!!!! is that real? not photoshopped or expertly painted over? gosh...you know what? he reminds me of the Smurf...Grandpa Smurf. heh. oh SORRY! oops.

#620632 02/20/11 07:00 PM
Active
Active
I think future king is right. I think if Jed doesn't make the Legion, he'll go out and start his own team, or connect with an existing team like the Heroes of Lallor or the Wanderers (I wonder what their status is?).

Anyway.. I would love to see Lamprey, Nightwind and Crystal Kid make the big leagues.

Listen to the Completely Comics Podcast at http://completelycomics.wordpress.com/
#620633 02/20/11 08:35 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Originally posted by Crymsun Kid:

Anyway.. I would love to see Lamprey, Nightwind and Crystal Kid make the big leagues.
The thing about Crystal Kid....Polar Boy and Element Lad can almost do some of the same things. Not sure he would be the best choice.

#620634 02/20/11 11:44 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
It is funky, since Crystal Kid originally had the power to turn himself into 'indestructible crystal' and to turn other people into crystal, and Polar Boy originally had the power to generate intense cold.

Now both of them have the power to create great quantities of stuff (crystal or ice) out of thin air, like Iceman/Kole knockoffs.

#620635 03/05/11 10:35 AM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Wonder if Crystal Kid will show up soon in Adventure?

#620636 03/06/11 06:40 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Jiminez did show him in the backup story preceding the Adventure run, so he does seem aware that the character is out there (then again, he even had background shots of characters that were never named, so his presence doesn't guarantee that they have any significant plans for the character...).

#620637 04/22/11 07:11 AM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
After reading the last few issues of Adventure, I have picked who I want to be the next Legionaire....Chemical Kid. He's the most interesting of the lot, and his power doesn't duplicate any current member. Luorna won't recommend him, but Chuck and Lydda might after some more training.

#620638 05/01/11 04:28 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Would be nice to see Nightwind join, though she has the most impractal costume imaginable for someone who manipulates the wind....

Am disappointed though that she, Lamrey, Crystal Kid and Jed are all from Earth - how dull!There's a galaxy full of humanoids yet the super powered ones are concentrated on old Terra. And am I the only one who really dislikes Crystal Kid's costume and white skin?

I don't lke Dragonwing but other than that really like the new group - even Comet Queen!! Though am disappointed that Gravity Kid (- aside, sounds better as Gravity Lad don't you agree?)is from Earth, is white and brown haired. As it doesn't look likely that Star Boy will be active again for a while Gravity Kid may be fast tracked and the Legionneed another white brown haired male like I need another ex...

Chemical Kid is getting a lot of attention right now but is his arrogance sustainable? How long until he would "learn humility"?

Glorih is great looking though as a magic user too ill defined a power set.

Overall, I'd really love to see more diversty in the team along with a few more physically powerful women....

#620639 05/01/11 05:05 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Chemical Kid is arrogant, but I find those characters to be interesting and a lot of other people too. The Legion has plenty of Mickey Mouses, it needs more Donald Ducks. He is alittle immature, but I think in time and some ego-shattering (Element Lad vs. Chemical Kid would be match I would love to see) he will be a good member.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#620640 05/01/11 05:55 PM
Deputy
Deputy
That's kind of my point Emily, he's fun now but sadly we both know that it won't be long before he's taken down a peg or two and stops being quite so annoying or for that metter, attractive....

#620641 05/01/11 06:45 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Sonnie: Am disappointed though that she, Lamprey, Crystal Kid and Jed are all from Earth - how dull! There's a galaxy full of humanoids yet the super powered ones are concentrated on old Terra.
It is odd that, of the four of them, Crystal Kid is the only one that looks like an earth-born human, between Power Boy's purple skin, Nightwind's Sklaran coloration and Lamprey's greenish complexion and 'energy-hair.'

Particularly in light of the 'Earth was always xenophobic' retcon, a batch of alien-looking people who list 'Earth' as their homeworld seems unlikely, since their families would have been hunted down and booted off the planet long ago.

It is amusing that the classic Legion has never had a woman from earth as a member. Sun Boy, Colossal Boy, Invisible Kid, Ferro Lad, Tyroc and Karate Kid are of earth-human descent (even if some of them weren't born on earth), but all of the girls are aliens...

Overall, I'd really love to see more diversty in the team along with a few more physically powerful women...
True that. It was fun seeing Night Girl in action as a Legionnaire briefly because she's the closest the classic Legion has had to a female heavy-hitter. (LeViathan, Andromeda, Monstress and Thunder, and, to a lesser extent, Gazelle, also filled that niche, but not in this continuity.) If Laurel Kent was still around, she can fake being a heavy hitter pretty well, just by flying into stuff like a human cannonball, since she's pretty much unhurtable.

Lightning Lass fills the blasty role nicely, so as long as she doesn't revert back to makes-things-light-lass, she's got a big gun and isn't afraid to use it!

(If Lightning Lass wasn't around, I'd agitate for Quantum Queen to make a showing, but Ayla's got that role covered, and is, IMO, a fun character that I'd rather see more of anyway.)

#620642 05/01/11 07:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
hmmm isn't Celeste Rockfish (Neon) from Earth?

#620643 05/01/11 11:06 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't remember, but she's not in this continuity yet, so Set would still be correct.
nod

As for Nightwind and Lamprey, they USED to look more human and less humanoid.

And, while I personally find many of the freshman cadets to be interesting and certainly powerful enough to join the Legion, one which had Lu and Chuck as active members at one time, I'd certainly rather see some of the senior class join now instead of waiting for the 'kids' to go through the curriculum.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#620644 05/06/11 02:13 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Nightwind could be a heavy hitter....just change that costume!

#620645 05/10/11 09:06 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Go, Urk!!

#620646 05/15/11 07:38 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've always thought that Nightwind has the most to offer the readers by becoming a full Legion member.

* Unlike Jed and, to a lesser extent, Tayla (who's got her underwater niche) Berta's got a unique power that no one else on the team possesses.
* Her power is a formidable one that would make her one of the few femmes on the team that can keep up with Lar, Jo, Drake, etc in the heavy-hitting, offensive department.
* Thanks to whichever artist gave her that fantastic design upgrade with the cool facial markings, she's got a great look that would make her stand-out on the team.
* Her personality and back-story are unknown enough that she could offer a lot of intrigue and mystery to whatever history a writer wanted to give her.

I really hope she makes the step up one day. (Though, at the same time, I really like the foursome of her, Tayla, Jed and Bobb and I'd hate to see that broken up.)

#620647 05/15/11 11:42 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Nightwind definitely has a very cool visual. I love her costume. (Not every girl superhero needs to wear a bikini or a miniskirt!)

Her powers *might* not work in space, unless she generates the air she manipulates, and there's precedent for that anyway (Polar Boy can create ice in space, despite there being no moisture in the 'air' and Sun Boy can create flame, despite there being nothing flammable, and no oxygen to burn, making 'flame' impossible), so it's not an insurmountable problem.

Berta's power is also a decent non-lethal option. For a team with a code against killing, they've got a lot of heavy-hitters with extremely lethal powers (yeah, I'll try to throw fire at you, in a way that won't cause lasting harm...), and Nightwind's powers seem like they would be better at throwing people around / holding them back / keeping them pinned down, without the difficulty of having to hold herself back that someone like Wildfire has to deal with (yeah, I'm going to try to incapacitate this thug by *creating an antimatter explosion!*).

Although I would like to see the four of them (and perhaps Urk?) stick together. While we haven't seen any indication of this, yet, Tayla, being adapted for underwater function, might be a bit stronger and tougher than she looks as well. Aquaman has gotten consistently stronger and tougher, with that excuse, so it wouldn't be inconsistent for Lamprey to also be able to use high-pressure undersea adaptation as a rationale for being a bit stronger/tougher than expected.

Who knows what Crystal Kid's powers are, currently. I think I like the crystal-wall/construct-creation stuff (more Kole / Krystalin, less Golden Boy / Emma Frost). Turning self and others into diamond statues doesn't really appeal to me as much.

#620648 05/22/11 03:46 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I'm also for Nightwind joining the Legion. I never bought Wildfire telling her way, way back in her first appearance that she needed to practice using her powers.

I'm worried that she (and Crystal Kid) have had virtually no dialogue so far. Hopefully that isn't a sign that she won't make it in.

I also hope they won't give us an excuse that her powers are too limited (ex. no wind in space, Tellus' telekinesis being a better way to lift/slam objects, blah blah). The Legion could really use a powerful new female member to balance the numbers out some more.

#620649 06/10/11 09:41 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Urk stands a chance now!!

#620650 06/11/11 09:49 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Rooting for Jed to get a shot. If Dragonwing gets a shot but Jed doesn't, then I'm calling a foul! Cos's dismissal of Jed's potential in the recent Adventure story just stunk of personal bias!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#620651 06/11/11 10:48 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It looks like all of them!

Nightwind, Crystal Kid, Chemical Kid, Gravity Lad, Lamprey and Jed are the ones I'd most want to see 'move on up'.

Possibly with a couple of characters we only really see in backgrounds during the Academy stories.

I'm quite sure Glorith and Dragonwing will- though, honestly, I'm not that 'wowed' by either of them.

Variable Lad has a better than average shot- since he'd fill that 'alien-looking alien' slot being vacated by Tellus and Gates. I'm not crazy about his power, though- at least until I see it better defined and used.

#620652 06/11/11 10:52 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Rooting for Jed to get a shot. If Dragonwing gets a shot but Jed doesn't, then I'm calling a foul! Cos's dismissal of Jed's potential in the recent Adventure story just stunk of personal bias!
Cos is jealous because Jed gets to show more skin! Purple skin, at that! Rokk's still smarting over public reaction to his 'Rokky Horror' uniform that he so dearly loved...

#620653 06/12/11 10:31 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
I think having Jed in the team would detract from Tinya too much - unless they reintroduce the concept that Bgtzl is actually a 4D world and let her develop some side-abilities to go along with that (which I would be more than okay with).

Now that we know the LSH are losing seven members (and we know from that new cover that Dragonwing will be joining the main team at least), it looks like more of the Academy kids will be joining.

Again, I am okay with that but I hope not all of them do...Glorith would die in their first fight, and as much as I would love Comet Queen to join it wouldn't really make sense in-story unless they find some way to get around her brain damage.

A mix of Academy kids and Subs would be cool though!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,206
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Arachne
Arachne
Canada