Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 2.9 In The Beginning - Spoilers & Images
#621498 03/08/08 08:32 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I would really prefer if they came up with some excuse for why Saturn Girl could blow up the machines. "I can contact the artificial minds inside the machines and convince them to self-destruct!" might be cheesy, but right now it looks like she's just a telekinetic, which makes her hiding behind Cosmic Boy's force fields kinda silly, since, as a telekinetic, she'd be able to make her own.

I don't even mind her having telekinesis, but I'd rather it be stated outright, rather than the current setup, where Imra places her hands to her temples and random pink stuff happens.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#621499 03/08/08 08:42 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Their fates were helping ruin this season for me (along with Imperiex and Superman X, of course).
Aren't they what the season has been about so far?

i don't think a smart kid would get confused after all Cham did say in an earlier ep "my dad is loaded." i am upset what Super man x didnt go how is he your dad, that could have take all of six second to explain, "my dad got a rare sickness and is stuck like that now." boom cleared it up for the stupid kids

personally i wasn't a fan of R.j's voice, i would take Atom girls snort any day of the week over the accent

but good ep over all it had me giggling alot

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#621500 03/08/08 08:47 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally posted by kidflash2fan:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
[b] Their fates were helping ruin this season for me (along with Imperiex and Superman X, of course).
Aren't they what the season has been about so far?
[/b]
Which is why this season hasn't been as good as the first one, IMHO.

#621501 03/08/08 08:57 PM
Active
Active
Anyone else groan when Garth told Imra he wasn't letting her out of bed without a doctor's note, and she held up her flight ring and was like "I have this!"?

Though the Scooby Doo reference made me laugh.

And, I liked the reason Garth gave for going to Earth. It's better than "I'm going off to find my psycho brother and save him from himself even though I can't do a dang thing about it!"

Also, Awesome Kids United! lol

#621502 03/08/08 09:00 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I kept thinking the Scooby Doo reference should've connected more directly with the "unmasking" of the villain.

The "I have this!" was kind of dumb, but I didn't find it quite groan-worthy.

#621503 03/08/08 09:04 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Clips are up for this episode as well as the promo for Trials (which the WB will provide images from on Monday).

#621504 03/08/08 09:08 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I kept thinking the Scooby Doo reference should've connected more directly with the "unmasking" of the villain.
that would have made me groan i think more then anything

just had a thought Wouldn't the company have gone to cham if his dad had kicked the bucket?

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#621505 03/08/08 09:13 PM
Active
Active
Well, maybe...he wouldn't have been in control of it though, which is what Doyle wanted.

#621506 03/08/08 09:15 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Just a couple of nitpicks(besides the ones mentioned above): In the first episode, Man of Tomorrow, "food on a stick" is foreign and primitive to Bouncing Boy. In this episode, however, Doyle gives Imra, Garth, and Rokk lolly pops for saving R.J. Brande from certain death.

And also in Substitutes, it's stated that it took Bouncing Boy four tries to get in the Legion, and yet the ending of this episode indicates that he was one of the original members(I'm assuming they didn't really have try-outs when the Legion first started, but I've been wrong before).

Maybe I'm over-thinking it, but does anyone else find these a bit weird?

"Do, or do not. There is no try." -Yoda
#621507 03/08/08 09:19 PM
Active
Active
maybe lollipops are something of a rare thing for and only for rich ppl? or bouncing boy grew up in a place where food on a stick was considered primitive

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#621508 03/08/08 11:22 PM
Active
Active
I have much sympathy for BB if that is true.

#621509 03/08/08 11:23 PM
Active
Active
BTW, did anyone bother watching the new Spiderman cartoon? I watched part of it. Became so disgusted by the way the writers made Peter Parker into a hot-headed, egotistical skater that I turned it off.

#621510 03/09/08 09:20 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Originally posted by Awesomegirl:
And also in Substitutes, it's stated that it took Bouncing Boy four tries to get in the Legion, and yet the ending of this episode indicates that he was one of the original members(I'm assuming they didn't really have try-outs when the Legion first started, but I've been wrong before).
I think you're reading too much into that scene. It's been shown that the Legionnaires have frequent re-dedication ceremonies, as they did at the end of this episode, so there's no reason to assume that all those shown in the flashback joined at the same time.

For me, it was a treat to see the Adventure-era costumes!

I was taken aback onlyby seeing Tyroc portrayed as member so early on. (In the comics, he joins much later.) But I guess you have to have a token minority in everything these days. Having a black guy present just to say, "Here's a black guy!" seems as bad as ignoring non-Caucasians altogether, but that's just me.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#621511 03/09/08 09:48 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I took it those were pretty much the "first-year" members that were seen in the flashback at the end.

#621512 03/09/08 09:52 AM
As for the episode as a whole:

Every time I see a new version of the Legion's origin, I'm impressed with the different variations and how they work instead of detracting from the overall story. Some of the changes from the Legion's classic origin include:

1. The assassination attempt on Brande occurs aboard the "starship" instead of on the ground.

2. Doyle is not pegged as the bad guy until much later.

3. Doyle is not related to Brande; he's just an assistant.

4. Garth does not mention that he's looking for his brother (though the shot of him looking at a holo of himself, Ayla, and Mekt might lead one to conclude that that's his unspoken motive).

5. Imra does not mention that she is going to earth to join the Science Police.

6. Rokk and Imra's given names are never mentioned.

7. Brande's hair is brown instead of white.

8. The three founders decide on their own to become a team without Brande suggesting it to them. They make this decision after visiting the Superman museum.

Change #1 worked well in the context of the cartoon. When Cos and LL worked together to patch up the hole in the ship, it gave us wonderful moment of teamwork and also showed them saving the entire ship, not just Brande.

I also heartily approve of Change #8. It makes the Legionnaires more involved in their own decisions, instead of having destiny thrust upon them by an adult.

Change #3 is the one that bothers me the most, for some reason. Doyle isn't a significant character in Legion lore, but I've always liked the idea of him being Brande's nephew.

Most of the other changes are minor.

On the other hand, some wonderful classic details snuck their way into the cartoon:

1. Cosmic Boy is from Braal, which is "impoverished." Hence, his need to make a name for himself.

2. Brande is Cham's dad (which, as others have mentioned, probably made a lot of viewers go "huh?")

3. The Silver Age Costumes!!!!!

4. The lineup at the swearing-in ceremony is true to the Adventure-era lineup, Tyroc aside.

All in all, I was very impressed with how it was updated.

#621513 03/09/08 10:09 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I missed the Brande-Doyle relation as well, but then I remembered that the postboot version of Doyle wasn't related to Brande either (just a White Triangle agent).

Just playing around with ideas, the way I would've gone with it would be to specify that Cham was RJ's adopted son, and then part of Doyle's motivation would've had to do with RJ leaving his fortune to the "filthy alien child" instead of a blood relative such as himself.

#621514 03/09/08 11:53 AM
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
Doyle could still be related to Brande. I mean, if you were Brande, would you want to admit that Doyle is family?

Watching television is not an activity.
#621515 03/09/08 01:09 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Originally posted by Teronna:
BTW, did anyone bother watching the new Spiderman cartoon? I watched part of it. Became so disgusted by the way the writers made Peter Parker into a hot-headed, egotistical skater that I turned it off.
I actually liked the new Spidey cartoon. I thought they were true to the essence of Peter at that time in his life. Have to keep in mind, that Spidey is still very new on the scene and until this episode had not faced anyone that could challenge him.

Some great moments in it.

1) Spidey encounters Cain Marko (future Sandman)...."Yep, again. What is this like the 3rd time this summer?"

2) Peter is all jazzed about the first day of school thinking how great it will be and then overhears Aunt May talking about how they need some money badly.

#621516 03/10/08 12:02 PM
strange but not a stranger
Originally posted by Set:
I would really prefer if they came up with some excuse for why Saturn Girl could blow up the machines. "I can contact the artificial minds inside the machines and convince them to self-destruct!" might be cheesy, but right now it looks like she's just a telekinetic, which makes her hiding behind Cosmic Boy's force fields kinda silly, since, as a telekinetic, she'd be able to make her own.

I don't even mind her having telekinesis, but I'd rather it be stated outright, rather than the current setup, where Imra places her hands to her temples and random pink stuff happens.
Speaking of Cos' magnetic shield. I could see it working against energy weapons (possibly) but not against an explosion.

This plus the afore mentioned Saturn Girl telekinesis tells me that the writer does not really care about the characters.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#621517 03/10/08 12:40 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Speaking of Cos' magnetic shield. I could see it working against energy weapons (possibly) but not against an explosion.
Writing up my Emerald Legion fanfic, I realized that I didn't have a clear grasp on which metals were ferrimagnetic or not, so I looked it up and was appalled to see how severely limited magnetic powers would be even today (no really, is there anything made out of Cobalt within 50 ft of me?), let alone 1000 years from now...

I cheated by giving Rokk a costume of metal that he could reinforce (since force fields would be right out) and metal items that he could propel (since magnetic blasts are right out).

Magneto has a lot to answer for! He made me think that magnetic powers could do all sorts of cool stuff!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#621518 03/10/08 02:51 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I remember as a kid figuring out that magnetism couldn't even stop bullets, and deciding it was pretty useless as a power.

Though you could go the route of arguing that you could technically exert force on any electrically-charged particle using precise control over magnetism, making you virtually omnipotent.

#621519 03/11/08 02:26 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
That's the way I've had to figure it, manipulating electro-magnetic fields at a submolecular level .. <span style="font-size: 8px;">or something like that</span> .. Not manipulating subatomic particles mind you just the EM fields.

It's just "sciency" enough to pass the muster in comic book physics and vague enough to justify a helluva lot.

#621520 03/11/08 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Originally posted by Set:
[b] I would really prefer if they came up with some excuse for why Saturn Girl could blow up the machines. "I can contact the artificial minds inside the machines and convince them to self-destruct!" might be cheesy, but right now it looks like she's just a telekinetic, which makes her hiding behind Cosmic Boy's force fields kinda silly, since, as a telekinetic, she'd be able to make her own.

This plus the afore mentioned Saturn Girl telekinesis tells me that the writer does not really care about the characters. [/b]
I don't know that the writers don't care so much as they are merely adapting the characters to the medium of television. Modern practice seems to dictate that something exciting is happening on screen all the time, whether it makes sense from a scientific standpoint or not.

I miss the days when TV shows (or comics, for that matter) tried to include some educational content by adhering to the laws of science. One episode of "Lost In Space," for example, had the Robinson family trapped on a planet with an elliptical orbit that travelled too close to the sun. This episode helped me learn about a concept I had only read about in school and which would have otherwise remained abstract. However, such educational content doesn't seem to be a priority in television nowadays.

It could also be that the writers chose to focus more on the relationships of the three founders instead of on developing their powers. Having created my own comic book, I found myself doing the same thing: the characters were just more fascinating to me than their powers.

Also, as much as I admire Set's explanation, it would have been clunky to work into the story line, particularly with exposition (Brainy's narrative) already taking up much of the episode.

#621521 03/12/08 10:41 AM
R
Applicant
Applicant
R
No, I don't think you are incorrect in the "Bouncing Boy had four tries". The stupid writers made mistakes.
I found this episode such a dispointment. Especially, When Sat. girl talk. I mean
"Here is my doctors note"
I nearly choked to death.

SMILE Because the rest of the world isn't
#621522 03/12/08 02:44 PM
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
I don't know that the writers don't care so much as they are merely adapting the characters to the medium of television. Modern practice seems to dictate that something exciting is happening on screen all the time, whether it makes sense from a scientific standpoint or not.

I miss the days when TV shows (or comics, for that matter) tried to include some educational content by adhering to the laws of science. One episode of "Lost In Space," for example, had the Robinson family trapped on a planet with an elliptical orbit that travelled too close to the sun. This episode helped me learn about a concept I had only read about in school and which would have otherwise remained abstract. However, such educational content doesn't seem to be a priority in television nowadays.

It could also be that the writers chose to focus more on the relationships of the three founders instead of on developing their powers. Having created my own comic book, I found myself doing the same thing: the characters were just more fascinating to me than their powers.

Also, as much as I admire Set's explanation, it would have been clunky to work into the story line, particularly with exposition (Brainy's narrative) already taking up much of the episode.
HWW,

I don't think it is a matter of "developing" their powers as using them properly. i.e. instead of having Cosmic Boy throw a magnetic shield around them, have him magnetically grab a big sheet of metal to protect them from the explosion.

And I understand the idea was to have some big problem that the three founders solve together. So write a problem that uses their powers correctly instead of totally misreading/misusing their powers. If the problem is a physical problem, make it so that Cos & LL have to use their powers precisely and then you have Saturn Girl link their minds to accomplish this.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,107
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires