Roll Call
1 members (Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler), 68 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:41 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legion cameo JSA#22
#621693 01/04/09 07:46 AM
G
Applicant
OP Offline
Applicant
G
I recommend any Kingdom Come fans and Legion fans pick up this book. There is a nice end cap for Superman (Earth-22) that ends up showing the Legion of Super Heroes. Not much on them but a group shot, but I think it gives a little origin to the U.P.

Re: Legion cameo JSA#22
#621694 01/04/09 10:34 AM
Active
Active
The real question is which Legion is this?

It looks like the reboot but could be another variant. So are the reboot from Earth 22 now?

It also begs the question what is happening to Thom now that his sanity has been taken away again. Is he going to play a role in Lo3W?

Looking for a solution, the fact that Johns' JSA book has introduced another Legion and a variant on the JSA on Earth 2, together with the Final Crisis titles introducing other versions of DC characters like the Marvel Family and Charlton heroes suggests to me that Final Crisis is going to totally resolve the multiple versions of one character issue. I suspect that characters with multiple versions will be merged leaving one single version on one of the remaining Earths. So Jay Garrick and Power Girl etc will end up on Earth 2 and the JSA will be an Earth 2 title again. The Marvel family may end up on Earth whatever or Earth 1 depending on the whim of Grant Morrison. Obviously the three (or four or five) versions of the Legion characters will be merged leaving one Garth, Imra, Rokk etc

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#621695 01/04/09 11:40 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Does anyone have a scan of the page? I saw a discussion of it on the DCU, but don't feel like going out and buying the book just for one page.

#621696 01/04/09 11:48 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Silver Age Lad: (snip)

...I suspect that characters with multiple versions will be merged leaving one single version on one of the remaining Earths...
Isn't this what the first Crisis series was supposed to accomplish some twenty-odd years ago ? Even if the company does this, you've gotta' wonder how long they'll stick to it, when multiple tie-in books by the truckload seem to be their idea of how to keep their market viable. Maybe their only idea.

Not my cup of tea, really. Books should stand on their own merits. The people who draw and write them should at least have a shot at not being constantly homogenized and flattened into some overweening visual and/or verbal "house style" that makes every book seem much like any other. An occasional tie-in or crossover is nice, but the excessive amount you see of both is what drove me away from "Big Two" comics in the first place. That was when an individual book cost about half what it does now, too.

Feh. (Yeah, I know the other Big Company does it, too. I'm not impressed with it there, either.)

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#621697 01/04/09 12:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by reckless:
Does anyone have a scan of the page? I saw a discussion of it on the DCU, but don't feel like going out and buying the book just for one page.
Either LIghtning Lad or Nightcrawler will be the one to scan for sure. They have the power! wink

#621698 01/04/09 03:24 PM
Active
Active
The Kingdom Come Legion in Justice Society Of America 22.

[Linked Image]

From UK with glamour.
#621699 01/04/09 03:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
no blok? Tellus? Gates? Kinetix? frown

#621700 01/04/09 04:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Bloc was dead. Gates and Kinetix not yet invented. Tellus???? I don't remember what happened to him after the 5YG.

Anybody: see that little red blob just above the end of the legion flight line? Think that's an accident or is it "someone?"

#621701 01/04/09 05:20 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Thanks for the scan. It looks like a complete mishmash of different Legions -- e.g., preboot TW and Shady, Gossamer, Castpaw, SW6 belts, etc. -- so I have to suspect that it's a Legion we have never seen before.

#621702 01/04/09 05:54 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
the little red blob is maybe Quislet? Blok is not dead...he's pretty much alive and seen in Legion of 3 Worlds....Tellus was recently seen twice in the New Krypton storyline. Kinetix and Gates seen in L3W as well.

TW and Shady were "Alex Ross version" (alongside Karate Kid) as he stated that they are his favorite legionnaires. He drew them in his biography book, IIRC.

also I am trying to figure out who's who on the flying legionnaires....a few of them that I cannot make it out - is that Andromeda and Dragonmage on the final two flying line?

and who is the one next to Catspaw and XS and Princess Projectra? Chemical King? if not, then who?

and no Dawnstar? frown

#621703 01/04/09 06:27 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
also I am trying to figure out who's who on the flying legionnaires....a few of them that I cannot make it out - is that Andromeda and Dragonmage on the final two flying line?

and who is the one next to Catspaw and XS and Princess Projectra? Chemical King? if not, then who?
In the back, that could be Chemical King. The colors seem to fit his costume.

Next to Catspaw, XS and Projectra -- I'd say classic Karate Kid. It makes sense he would be next to Jeckie.

One more thing: Is that the tiniest version of Dream Girl's costume ever? How does she stay in that top?

#621704 01/04/09 08:17 PM
Active
Active
That's the Legion of Earth-22, to show that the Kingdom Come Earth does become the positive place and has a happy ending (I like how the Legion is always seen as a happy ending, Ross must really like them since he shows them as happy endings in both Justice and Thy Kingdom Come).

It is interesting to see what costumes that Ross picked for each characters, because it certainly is a mix of different versions. But I think it is entirely due to which costumes Ross really liked or felt like drawing.

So don't read too much into it, it's just an alternate/happy ending Earth version of the Legion with whatever costumes that Ross really likes for the characters. It was cool to see, and I'm glad that arc is over in JSA, way too long...

Long Live the Legion!
#621705 01/05/09 12:01 AM
Leader
Leader
Thanks for pointing out that this is Earth-22 steph. With so many Earths, I keep forgetting which is which.

I do disagree with you about the arc in JSA however. I think it showed the view of Gog from a lot of different characters' point of view-Damage, Steel, etc. and it was well done. It didn't hurt that the art wasn't bad.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Star Man from here on.

Long Live all them Legions!
#621706 01/05/09 12:38 AM
Leader
Leader
Ok, just for the heck of it, here's who I can see, starting at the front. Names may not all be the right ones, but you guys know who I'm talking about. And thanks for loading the image, Empress.

Brainiac 5, Shadow Lass, Cosmic Boy, Shrinking Violet, Superboy, Lightning Lad, Supergirl, Light Lass/Gossamer (ugh!)

Mon-el/Valor, Karate Kid, Bouncing Boy, Timber Wolf, Saturn Girl, Sun Boy/Inferno

Ultra Boy, Phantom Girl/Apparition, Star Boy, Dream Girl

Invisible Kid, Ferro, XS, Chameleon Boy, Matter-Eater Lad

and bringing up the rear,

Quislet (?), Andromeda, Dragonmage (or Kinetix-that could be a skirt), Duo Damsel(?), Projectra, Colossal Boy/Leviathan, Catspaw, Element Lad.

Long Live all them Legions!
#621707 01/05/09 03:50 AM
Active
Active
The little red blob could be Wildfire

the two to the left pf Projectra look like Luornu's two bodies but one has hair up like Night Girl.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#621708 01/05/09 09:06 AM
Active
Active
This was a beautiful ISsue. I'm suprised more people didnt know about this Legion cause they've been around once before in the Mini Series Kingdom Come.

This is what is listed in an annotation of that scene in Kingdom Come:

Somehow I knew Mr. Waid wouldn't let me down. Yes, that is the Legion of Superheroes in panel 3. I didn't know how, but I knew a long-time Legion fan such as Mr. Waid would somehow put them in here. Their costumes seem to be an agglomeration of the traditional, Silver Age costumes and the modern costumes the post-Zero Hour Legion wears, but Messrs Waid and Ross seem to have included almost all of the Legionnaires, regardless of the period they appeared in. They are (according to the Waid/Ross Annotations), in order, from the lead: Superboy, Supergirl, Saturn Girl, Live Wire (formerly Lightning Lad), Brainiac 5, Cosmic Boy, Light Lass, Mon-El, Karate Kid, Inferno (formerly Sun Boy), Dream Girl, Ultra Boy, Timber Wolf, Invisible Kid, Alchemist (formerly Element Lad), Apparition (formerly Phantom Girl), Leviathan (formerly Colossal Boy), Star Boy, Chameleon (formerly Chameleon Boy), Matter-Eater Lad, Shadow Lass, Shrinking Violet, Princess Projectra, Chemical King, Dragonmage, Ferro (formerly Ferro Lad), Triad (formerly Triplicate Girl/Duo Damsel), Bouncing Boy, and XS. Waid and Ross have taken Legionnaires from all points of the group's history; the ones missing are Andromeda, Blok, Celeste McCauley, Computo, Dawnstar, Echo, Gates, Impulse/Kent Shakespeare, Invisible Kid II, Kid Quantum, Kinetix, Kono, Magnetic Kid, Nemesis Kid, Quislet, Tellus, Tyroc, the White Witch, and Wildfire.

As we'll see in later issues, a contradiction arises from this scene; two Legionnaires are present in this panel who are also present in the time of Kingdom Come. I suppose this is yet another of those delightful Time Travel Paradoxestm, however.

As a couple of people have pointed out, both Superboy and Supergirl are from the 20th century, and are presumably who the Spectre is referring to as having "lost themselves" in the future. This would of course refer to the post-Zero Hour Superboy, who is only a partial clone of Superman, rather than the Silver Age Superboy, who had a long and intimate association with the LSH but was also the younger Superman (a chronological impossibility now).

Note the old, Silver Age Legion of Superheroes club house at the lower left of the LSH panel.

The Revelations supplement says this about Superboy & Supergirl: "The current inheritors of these classic Superman family roles may not have the same blood relationship to Superman that the former had, but they could still join the Legion just as the originals did. The 30th Century's interplanetary Legion of Super Heroes could well invite the super-youths to join their ranks and offer them a second home in the future. The implication in Kingdom Come is that at some point they will leave our modern era behind for the more settle society of superhumans in the future. Designing these costumes was a real joy, combining the modern Legion design aesthetic with the classic Silver Age outfits of Superboy and Supergirl. Superboy's current "mod" hairstyle is grown out like Superman's recent `do, but pulled back to give a sense of the original Boy of Steel's clean-cut look."

Bring back the super-cousins
#621709 01/05/09 05:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I don't think it matters which Legion is pictured in the last page of this great JSA issue (I think they were made to appear vague on purpose so as not to offend anybody's tastes) ... so long as they are there, reminding everbody that the Legion IS the future and WILL BE the future's greatest heroes, no matter what happens and how they are handled in the here and now, good or bad, by any writer, artist, editor, etc.

What a nice, respectful nod to continuity this was in the latter part of our Legion's anniversary year.
Well done!

#621710 01/05/09 10:06 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by future king:
I don't think it matters which Legion is pictured in the last page of this great JSA issue (I think they were made to appear vague on purpose so as not to offend anybody's tastes) ... so long as they are there, reminding everbody that the Legion IS the future and WILL BE the future's greatest heroes, no matter what happens and how they are handled in the here and now, good or bad, by any writer, artist, editor, etc.

What a nice, respectful nod to continuity this was in the latter part of our Legion's anniversary year.
Well done!
well said, thank you.

it doesn't matter WHICH legion it was.
it doesn't matter WHO is in there.

the point is that there are teenagers in the future that believe in being heroes.

i strongly recommend this JSA storyline (cause i know that's important to you); it is a lot of fun. the basic plot is not surprising at all unless you look at it as a story about the CHARACTERS and family dynamic of the JSA. that's where it really draws you in.

everything i like rules. everything you like is terrible.
#621711 01/06/09 08:31 AM
Applicant
Applicant
Between Projectra and Catspaw at the bottom, could that actually be (gasp) Monstress?

#621712 01/06/09 12:07 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I picked up the issue not knowing about the Legion cameo, just to get caught up on the JSA. For anyone who really enjoyed Kingdom Come, it's a MUST pickup.

A nice wrap up to the Superman story line, a few good Thom Kallor/Denny Blaine Starman bits, plus that nice Legion scene at the end. The issue itself reads well alone, and some nice artwork is in there to boot.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,991
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP