Roll Call
0 members (), 68 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:41 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Legion gone, but L.E.G.I.O.N. is back
#622584 09/29/08 03:19 PM
Ricardo Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
From Lying in the Gutters:

CONTAINING MULTITUDES

[Green Light]

In the wake of the “Legion Of Superheroes” cancellation LITG’d back here, I can confirm that Tony Bedard is writing a new “L.E.G.I.O.N” series based on the eighties/nineties series.

So I was right when I guessed it a couple of months ago... veryvery, can you confirm now? smile

One good piece of news that still doesn't take me from seeing Shooter gone from Legion.

Re: Legion gone, but L.E.G.I.O.N. is back
#622585 09/29/08 05:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I dunno, last time I saw L.E.G.I.O.N. I didn't like what I was seeing.

I need Dox, Stealth, Strata, Mrs and Mrs. Bek, Captain Comet, Lady Quark, Phase, hell even Lobo for this to work for me.... I'll certainly try it though.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#622586 09/29/08 05:06 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Blech. I find the prospect of a L.E.G.I.O.N. title being published while there's no ongoing LSH title set in it's *proper* era not only a bad idea, but insulting.

#622587 09/29/08 05:31 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
I'm heartbroken.

[Sorry, I know - obviously I'm not, I just had to get the sarcasm out my system]

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#622588 09/29/08 06:06 PM
Ricardo Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
As long as they are not R.E.B.E.L.S. or any crap like that, I'm cool. But I have never read any decent Bedard story so far to see if I'll like it. I'd have called Gerard Jones myself. Or Shooter.

#622589 09/29/08 08:00 PM
Active
Active
yep! this is what he told me! he asked me some questions about the dox family and i about exploded with happiness. he was chilling with tom peyer at ECCC and i think they were talking about LEGION stuff. it was so weird because we'd just bought a run of rebelsto get peyer to sign it. ahhh i'm so glad i can speak now @______@!

#622590 09/29/08 08:31 PM
Active
Active
oh and judging by the things he was talking about, i definitely think it will be the old team of dox and stealth, perhaps even lobo? et al, i think the dox family is getting pretty popular right now what with the revamp of Brainiac. i'm SO excited for this, i think bedard is a really good writer, i'm always happy with his stories. i think he's VERY solid and doesn't get the credit he deserves. and i think he's already shown he can write a bitchy, manipulative dox, i cannot wait to see what's basically querl with no holds barred *swoon*

#622591 09/29/08 08:35 PM
Ricardo Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
You said he was talking to Peyer.. but Peyer was the guy who sank L.E.G.I.O.N.!!! Please, veryvery, ask him to talk to Keith Giffen and Gerry Jones instead. These guys know their game!
Don't forget to buy the first 3 years of L.E.G.I.O.N. with wonderful Kitson art.

#622592 09/29/08 09:52 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I've only read a few issues of L.E.G.I.O.N. I'm slowly accumulating issues as I find them in dollar bins and stuff. I wonder if I'm going to give this new series a try.

#622593 09/29/08 10:59 PM
Active
Active
awww, i really liked REBELS! hahah and i'm not a big kitson fan. ricardo, i think we're the exact opposites of one another.

personally, i can't wait to see them drawn by a more modern artist. that tiny tiny panel we saw of them in infinite crisis made me so excited ;__;

#622594 09/29/08 11:08 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I need Dox, Stealth, Strata, Mrs and Mrs. Bek, Captain Comet, Lady Quark, Phase, hell even Lobo for this to work for me...
The only people I know from that list are Captain Comet (who I used to like back in Secret Society of Super-Villains, but that was *decades* ago...), Lady Quark (who was a really annoying character from the original Crisis, last I recall) and Lobo (who's the most annoying DC character, ever, IMO).

Is that insane pre-Legion-Legion that had some sort of retcon of Tinya from a Bgtzl'n into a Carggite with a soul gem that looked like Mysa's and could phase anyway, or some such nonsense? I remember reading something about that and just wondering how cheap drugs were that year, and if they were sharing them with the dude who decided that Psylocke couldn't just be a telepathic blind mutant supermodel with bionic eyes, but also had to be a ninja telepathic blind mutant supermodel with bionic eyes...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#622595 09/29/08 11:30 PM
Leader
Leader
I have to say the only reason I bought L.E.G.I.O.N. was that it was Legion related.

Just refereshing my memory from the Comic Collector website, I don't think I remember buying beyond issue 20; I didn't realize it even went for 70 issues.

I did like the team at first, and if I remember correctly, Dox was a complete horse's arse, but the dynamic worked, and I also liked the covers (didn't Kevin Maguire do quite a few?).

However, I really don't see myself picking up a new series.

Long Live all them Legions!
#622596 09/30/08 12:26 AM
Ricardo Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
veryvery - Did you get to read the first issues, though? Storywise, they were miles beyond R.E.B.E.L.S. I can see you enjoying the art from the latter series, though, but by then, the group didn't make any sense to me.

Set - As far as I know, during L.E.G.I.O.N. period, Tinya was simply Tinya with amnesia. No soul gem whatsoever. Maybe later in the run?

Arm Fall Off Boy - You probably left a bit after Keith left. And the first covers were done beautifully by Gary Leach. Maguire took the job a bit later.

L.E.G.I.O.N. was probably one of the reasons I looked at the LSH with more attention at that time. So it does have a soft spot for me. And it had Barry Kitson's finest job. And the interaction between Vril Dox and Lobo was genius. One a$$ to another...

#622597 09/30/08 08:17 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Bedard is a good writer but I had no interest whatever in the original L.E.G.I.O.N and care even less about its reboot.

If DC is publishing this to assuage Legion fans, they've reached heights of stupidity even I couldn't imagine.

#622598 09/30/08 08:58 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Set:
Is that insane pre-Legion-Legion that had some sort of retcon of Tinya from a Bgtzl'n into a Carggite with a soul gem that looked like Mysa's and could phase anyway, or some such nonsense?
Btzglian mother, Carggite father.

Originally posted by Set:
I remember reading something about that and just wondering how cheap drugs were that year, and if they were sharing them with the dude who decided that Psylocke couldn't just be a telepathic blind mutant supermodel with bionic eyes, but also had to be a ninja telepathic blind mutant supermodel with bionic eyes...
The bionic eyes stayed with the original body, FTR.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#622599 09/30/08 08:59 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
L.E.G.I.O.N. to me was always a twisted version of the 31st century Legion. It featured two characters Dox and Lobo who to me are the antithesis of heroic. The organization itself operated as mercenaries rather than volunteers. That concept was never very appealing to me, and despite the great Kitson artwork, I couldn't enjoy the original version enough to keep supporting it.

I like the Legion work of Tony Bedard and would, however, give a new L.E.G.I.O.N. title a tryout for that reason.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#622600 09/30/08 10:33 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Is Dan Didio on crack? L.E.G.I.O.N. was a failed endeavor in the 1980s and early 1990s, when the regular Legion was at the height of its sales. To bring it in as a pseudo-replacement for the main Legion is a slap in the face of Legion fans.

I'm not saying a 21st Century science fiction title can't work, but why revive L.E.G.I.O.N. at all -- especially at a time that the main Legion book is being cancelled? Just create a new book.

#622601 09/30/08 11:57 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Ricardo:
As long as they are not R.E.B.E.L.S. or any crap like that, I'm cool. But I have never read any decent Bedard story so far to see if I'll like it. I'd have called Gerard Jones myself. Or Shooter.
Did you read Crossgens Negation? I thought that one was excellent, done by Bedard. Just bought Bedards run on Exiles on german Ebay, very curious about that. I'll let you know if it was any good in my eyes as soon as I read it.

As for L.E.G.I.O.N.: I really thought the series start was fantastic, great SciFi story, great art which was far superior to Kitsons later work on Legion - alone because of the fact that he did not have to draw a dozen caucasian faces which all looked alike smile

Bedard in my eyes is a very good choice to do this restart. But it will be important whic characters he's allowed to use.

For my part, I'll have to haul all those old L.E.G.I.O.N. books out of the shelf which I never read never made it farther than the first 20 issues, meanwhile I have collected nearly the whole run - without reading it... but there's enough time until the new #1 is coming out smile

#622602 09/30/08 12:18 PM
Ricardo Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by reckless:
Is Dan Didio on crack? L.E.G.I.O.N. was a failed endeavor in the 1980s and early 1990s, when the regular Legion was at the height of its sales. To bring it in as a pseudo-replacement for the main Legion is a slap in the face of Legion fans.

I'm not saying a 21st Century science fiction title can't work, but why revive L.E.G.I.O.N. at all -- especially at a time that the main Legion book is being cancelled? Just create a new book.
It can't be called a failure when it lasted over 70 issues and it just died because it became irrecognizable as R.E.B.E.L.S., which was the equivalent of Legion on The Run in the 20st Century.

And I like that L.E.G.I.O.N. was never the Junior LSH or anything like that. It had a concept of its own and some of the best Keith characterization even, So, I don't even see that as a Legion substitute, but a book to increase the galactic side of DCU that is currently relegated to Starlin's miniseries and GLC. Far too little in my opinion.

#622603 09/30/08 01:24 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Well, I liked the first five years of that title but then it slumped and REBELS sucked. Instead of connecting it more with LSH lore, which would dilute the Legion franchise, I think that it would be better for the book to be a sort of showcase for the non GLC DC Universe alien-based characters, out of their recent minis such as Holy War and Countdown to Adventure: people like Adam Strange (instead of Captain Comet), Prince Gavyn, Starfire and the Weird (or some oddballs like Jemm, Son of Saturn and Halo), groups such as the Omega Men and the Darkstars (and even more obscure, like the Xenobrood or the Blasters), locations like Hardcore Station or Warworld and NON LSH alien races (there's loads to choose from, from the Appelaxians to the Zi Charan) would broaden it's scope and fan interest, slightly departing from the whole retro Legion initial concept.
Nonetheless, I would like to see Dox, Mon-El, Strata and Lyrissa Darkstar in the book's regular cast.

The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true.
#622604 09/30/08 03:04 PM
Honorary
Honorary
it sounds like DC might be trying to balance out Marvel's revamped Guardians of the Galaxy (our old friends DnA at the helm...)

everything i like rules. everything you like is terrible.
#622605 09/30/08 03:19 PM
Ricardo Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by What Was Wrong With the Reboot? Lad:
it sounds like DC might be trying to balance out Marvel's revamped Guardians of the Galaxy (our old friends DnA at the helm...)
And let's consider that, except for Silver Surfer (who was never a huge seller) and the Thanos Saga, Marvel cosmic heroes are nothing compared to DCU stronghold on such kind of book.

#622606 09/30/08 04:15 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I have been wating for LEGION to make a comeback for a while now. They are really the only major cosmic title that has not gotten some exposure since Infinity Crisis. Yeah Dox has been player in other minis, but is just not the same as when the whole LEGION crew is together. I have missed guys like Garyn Bek, Telapath, Garv, Strata, Zena Moonstruck, Lydia Mallor, and all the rest of the core cast of characters.

Plus maybe now we will finally find out what happened to Dox and Stealths kid.

#622607 09/30/08 04:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Dox is one of the all-time great unknown characters. He was written masterfully. My favorite Dox moment was probably the people are food issue.

I hope Lady Quark and Captain Comet are still around?

#622608 09/30/08 05:20 PM
Ricardo Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Dox is one of the all-time great unknown characters. He was written masterfully. My favorite Dox moment was probably the people are food issue.

I hope Lady Quark and Captain Comet are still around?
Comet is at Rann/Thanagar War, but it is not the same Captain Comet, sort of. But nothing really shocking or anti-chronology. As for Lady Quark... no idea.
It would be funny to see The Weird dialoguing with Dox, though...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,991
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Ibn al-Nezumi
Ibn al-Nezumi
Indojapan, Earth