Roll Call
0 members (), 20 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/01/24 05:05 PM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:51 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/01/24 03:50 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Set - 05/01/24 12:17 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:45 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Legion gone, but L.E.G.I.O.N. is back
#622609 09/30/08 05:39 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Captain Comet went through some changes in the Mystery in Space mini series. Among other things he is younger. He is currently appearing in the Rann/Thanagar: Holy War.

Lady Quark is dead as far as I know. You know Maxima who would have been a good replacement for Lobo in this revamped LEGION if she wasn't dead. She is just as arogent as Dox and tough as a tank to boot.

#622610 09/30/08 05:42 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Ricardo:
Set - As far as I know, during L.E.G.I.O.N. period, Tinya was simply Tinya with amnesia. No soul gem whatsoever. Maybe later in the run?

Yes, that all happened from the Legion series, rather then in the by then discontinued LEGION, while the team was in the past.
That 'mini' series was one of my favorite Legion arcs.
It all made perfect sense to me, anyway.

Tinya had been killed in the Legion's future timeline but her 'soulself' remained with Ultra Boy because she still had two alive bodies somewhere in time and space.
When she went with him into the past (along with Gates, Imra and others), her soulstone/soul eventually drew her living body, in the form of the time displaced Phase, to her.
The souls united, as they normally do (i.e., Duo Damsel). They begame one personality, one body (unless the other one showed up sometime in the distant future), one power ~ phasing = one elegant solution to an origin that many people didn't like.
I did, though.

I've always thought a reboot should have some basic differences in characters or at the very least, some minor, less basic ones.

If I were rebooting, the new Legion Universe would be VERY different from the old one(s)!

I must say that I loved the L.E.G.I.O.N., especially in the beginning with Kitson, but really all the way through the series.
I remember some great gems, like Lar Gand and the Eye and Lyddea getting her shadow powers!
sigh

REBELS wasn't so good, though.
But, Comet and the ex-Mrs. Bek were great together, as were the two rock people/couple, I've forgotten their names.

Anyway,I seem to remember Lady Quark being killed toward the end of the series, during one of DC's killing sprees, I think.
I wish there was more of a LEGION follow-up in the Legion stories.
There was just a little bit once, with Brainy using an old LEGION cruiser after Dreamy died.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#622611 09/30/08 07:21 PM
T
Active
Active
T
And let's consider that, except for Silver Surfer (who was never a huge seller) and the Thanos Saga, Marvel cosmic heroes are nothing compared to DCU stronghold on such kind of book.
I wouldn't say that. Or, more accurately, you're right, but not in the sense I think you mean it. http://michaelmay.blogspot.com/2008/08/gamora-guardians-of-galaxy-1.html points out that there's a difference between space-based SF and what Marvel likes to call "cosmic". That normally means metaphysical stuff, more space-based fantasy. DC has done a lot of that (Crisis on Infinite Earths, anyone?)... but the Legion is usually more SF than "cosmic".

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
#622612 09/30/08 07:28 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I am slightly excited. If it wasn't Bedard I would be worried. The problem I have with Legion dots is the name. I don't mind having a sci-fi cosmic team with LOSH ties (heavy ties) but the name is a bit too much for me. A bit too obvious. Ohwell. Still excited.

#622613 09/30/08 07:57 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
In honor of L.E.G.I.O.N., I may go back to being S.T.U. again.

#622614 09/30/08 08:03 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Seriously That Ugly?

Suddenly Thinking Underwater?

Spandex Tailored Underwear?

Student Taking Uppers?

Stunning,Tired and Useless?

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#622615 09/30/08 09:12 PM
Ricardo Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Wasn't there in one of Keith's LSH v4 issues, in which they find something underground, a logo of the L.E.G.I.O.N. painted on a wall?

#622616 10/01/08 02:14 AM
Active
Active
in the showcase issues, querl and vril actually met and beat brainiac 1 with sticks. i'm not kidding.

I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS! i hope he gets a cool artist!!!

#622617 10/01/08 05:45 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Ugg what disappointing news....I tried reading LEGION and I absolutely hated it. It felt like it was filled with "imposters".

Unless Dream Girl or Saturn Girl appears in it, I will pass on it.

#622618 10/01/08 05:48 PM
Substitute
Substitute
The bionic eyes stayed with the original body, FTR.
Until she ripped them out herself....too bad...I like the old British Betsy body better than the "dental floss wearing sometimes-I-am-Asian ninja Betsy"

#622619 10/01/08 09:11 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Askanipsion:
Ugg what disappointing news....I tried reading LEGION and I absolutely hated it. It felt like it was filled with "imposters".

Unless Dream Girl or Saturn Girl appears in it, I will pass on it.
I agree, I'll pass even if Dream Girl or Saturn Girl appears in it.

#622620 10/01/08 09:27 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Call me optimistic, but I don't see DC replacing an ongoing Legion title with L.E.G.I.O.N. If anything we'd get both.

So:

(1) I'm hella excited for a Bedard LEGION series, hope its the *right* characters and loved Bedard's Negation.

(2) I have high hopes that we'll get a solid Legion comic after Lo3W. Considering I disliked the threeboot the most of all versions of the Legion, this is good news for me. You won't see me gloating to posters who liked the threeboot though, since I remember all too well the feeling.

Of course, if there is no Legion comic at all, I don't live very far from NYC and I may go Superboy Prime on the offices.

#622621 10/02/08 03:03 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
BBB - Bring Back the Beks! I don't particularly want to see baby Dox with a key role. He could be the snotty kid in the background.

Hope does spring eternal, doesn't it? I enjoyed L.E.G.I.O.N. for most of its run. I wonder if they'll pick up where R.E.B.E.L.S. left off, or if it will be sort of a reboot.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#622622 10/02/08 08:14 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Blech. I find the prospect of a L.E.G.I.O.N. title being published while there's no ongoing LSH title set in it's *proper* era not only a bad idea, but insulting.
I totally agree with you on that one

"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe."

-Edmund Burke
#622623 10/02/08 08:16 AM
Honorary
Honorary
As long as they are not R.E.B.E.L.S. or any crap like that, I'm cool. But I have never read any decent Bedard story so far to see if I'll like it. I'd have called Gerard Jones myself. Or Shooter.
I loved Bedard's work on Negation (Crossgen). I was really surprised when his Legion issues were so bad.

"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe."

-Edmund Burke
#622624 10/02/08 08:53 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by What Was Wrong With the Reboot? Lad:
it sounds like DC might be trying to balance out Marvel's revamped Guardians of the Galaxy (our old friends DnA at the helm...)
I was just thinking that...

-Edmund Burke
#622625 10/02/08 08:57 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Wasn't there in one of Keith's LSH v4 issues, in which they find something underground, a logo of the L.E.G.I.O.N. painted on a wall?
They used a L.E.G.I.O.N. cruiser in Waid's run I remember

-Edmund Burke
#622626 10/02/08 09:01 AM
Honorary
Honorary

Of course, if there is no Legion comic at all, I don't live very far from NYC and I may go Superboy Prime on the offices. [/QB]
Speaking of that, this whole thing makes me madder the more I think about it.

I have seriously considered starting some kind of campaign to bring the original LSH back (the one that Johns is using now) or at the very least, get the Legion back for sure. Something else else like they did with Jericho and Firefly.

What do you guys think?

-Edmund Burke
#622627 10/02/08 01:54 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I never read LEGION. I got the REBELS crossover issues, and just didn't feel like adding another series to my list at the time. I never got the Valor series either. I'm not AR, I guess.

I'll have to wait and see what you all think of LEGION, when it happens.

#622628 10/02/08 03:58 PM
Active
Active
I haven't read or collected much of the L.E.G.I.O.N. comic. Can someone take the time to tell me why they wrote it like an acronym? What does it stand for? Why do all the characters look different? No costumes? Honestly, if they didn't have L.E.G.I.O.N. on the cover, I wouldn't have known it was a Legion comic. Is this the 5 year gap I have heard about? What exactly was the 5 year gap? What is all this talk about REBELS about? Essentially explain to me what the comic was all about. Please. Also are we totally sure that they are doing this or is it still speculation?

I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.
#622629 10/02/08 04:08 PM
Ricardo Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
BBB - Bring Back the Beks! I don't particularly want to see baby Dox with a key role. He could be the snotty kid in the background.

Hope does spring eternal, doesn't it? I enjoyed L.E.G.I.O.N. for most of its run. I wonder if they'll pick up where R.E.B.E.L.S. left off, or if it will be sort of a reboot.
It makes no sense to reboot it, since L.E.G.I.O.N. is actually active in DCU - Dox appeared on Mystery In Space in fact. So, thankfully, no reboot, but picking up from where it was (and it wasn't R.E.B.E.L.S. anymore).

#622630 10/02/08 04:25 PM
Ricardo Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Phantom Girl:
I haven't read or collected much of the L.E.G.I.O.N. comic. Can someone take the time to tell me why they wrote it like an acronym? What does it stand for? Why do all the characters look different? No costumes? Honestly, if they didn't have L.E.G.I.O.N. on the cover, I wouldn't have known it was a Legion comic. Is this the 5 year gap I have heard about? What exactly was the 5 year gap? What is all this talk about REBELS about? Essentially explain to me what the comic was all about. Please. Also are we totally sure that they are doing this or is it still speculation?
Okay, let's go:

It is not a Legion comic, in my opinion. It never was. Kudos to Keith Giffen, who never tried to make it like a 20th Century Legion book. In fact, they are basically a group of heroes-for-hire (nothing further away from a Legion book) covering what other cosmic teams can't cover.
Its ties to the Legion are light, but they do exist: Vril Dox is the leader and he is an ancestor to Brainy. For a while, we had Phase on the team, who was actually Tinya displaced in time with amnesia (somebody said that reboot screwed with something else - another good reason to despise reboot). There was also Lyrissa (from Tallok VIII) and Strata (from Dryad). But never mentioned as ancestors or anything like that.
There was also a Durlan but he was probably retconned out of continuity because <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">he was R. J. Brande</span></span>.
Apart from that, it was a completely different beast, in my opinion. And that's why I liked it - I really wouldn't like it if it became Young Legion or Legion Society of America.
Hopefully, Bedard will pick that up and not try to emulate LSH.

Oh, and L.E.G.I.O.N. stands for Licensed Extra-Governmental Interstellar Operatives Network. More here . I really miss Stealth and Bek.

#622631 10/02/08 04:26 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
I never read LEGION. I got the REBELS crossover issues, and just didn't feel like adding another series to my list at the time. I never got the Valor series either. I'm not AR, I guess.

I'll have to wait and see what you all think of LEGION, when it happens.
REBELS certainly wouldn't make you want to stay with the concept, that's for sure.
I used to be such a Legion purist I'd buy anything with any related characters in it, Valor, LEGION, anything.

I enjoyed the LEGION concept because a lot of old Legion stories had connections with the past that usually weren't gone into very well or extensively.
Shadow Lass' ancestress from the Darkseid arc was something of interest to me, ofcourse.
There was a Brainiac villian in the past but how did he/it produce a whole line of beings with that title?
Where was the Eye of Ekron before the Empress?
ect
So, I loved it's addition to Legionlore.
I never thought of those characters as imposters.

I'm with Cobalt on this one, I'll be an optomist and expect both series to run and to be good, or at least hope and wait & see.

I know I'm close to alone in this, but I really don't have much interest in an original Legion series.
Not unless they're shown as older adults ~ more of a Justice League or even a Justice Society. I'd want them as mentors to a new generation of Legionaires.
Johns' group just seems so worn-out, joyless and fragmented to me, even more than Giffen's 5 yr. later run. I don't enjoy them at all.
Oh,well.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#622632 10/02/08 05:02 PM
Active
Active
Wow....doesn't sound like Legion at all. It takes place in the 20th century? Basically consists of ancestors of the Legionnaires? The ancestors of Legionnaires isn't so bad but the whole Hero for Hire approach I think I loathe.

As a rapidly acquire my Legion collection....does L.E.G.I.O.N even belong in it?

So basically a Legion comic with no actual Legionnaire cast? Ouch!

I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.
#622633 10/02/08 05:59 PM
Ricardo Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Phantom Girl:
Wow....doesn't sound like Legion at all. It takes place in the 20th century? Basically consists of ancestors of the Legionnaires? The ancestors of Legionnaires isn't so bad but the whole Hero for Hire approach I think I loathe.

As a rapidly acquire my Legion collection....does L.E.G.I.O.N even belong in it?

So basically a Legion comic with no actual Legionnaire cast? Ouch!
It's not really a hero for hire as Marvel characters or even The Conglomerate. It's way more subtle. Like a government hiring them to solve problems all around.

And yes, it fits perfectly. And it's Barry Kitson's rise to stardom. And - as I said - there is a Legionnaire cast, but not from the 30th Century.

I'd say you should at least try the first 2 years' worth of storylines. You will like it - especially if you don't try to compare it to LSH.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,049
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Non-Magnetic Kid
Non-Magnetic Kid
We're coming Vee!!!!