Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 44 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Re: Legion costumes - rants!
#622928 06/22/10 11:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
And this is my rough draft Shadow Lass... I have always loved the laurel Kent poncho and felt that it was a shame that no one was using a version of it...

[Linked Image]

Touch the magic...
#622929 06/22/10 11:59 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
It would actually make sense to me if there were a heavy African (perhaps even Moorish) influence on Tyroc's costume.

#622930 06/23/10 03:05 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Okay, so it turns out this costume designing thing really is hard, but here's my first two attempts at an Africanized Tyroc:

[Linked Image]

#622931 06/23/10 05:13 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Matt - that Shadow Lass costume is *excellent*! Though I don't mind nearly-naked Tasmia I would love it if she started wearing that outfit instead!

EDE - Your designs for Tyroc are great too. I like your idea of making Tyroc's outfit more African-inspired. It would be a very fresh, different look for a DCU hero. The only other character I can think of who's worn something at all like that was Mal Duncan when he joined the Doom Patrol and became Vox. There was kind of a Bedouin kinda look going on there. Of your two, I prefer the second one 'cause its colours seem more Tyroc and I like the headdress but I think it could be streamlined a little to make fighting/flying more practical.

#622932 06/23/10 05:31 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I too like the Shadow Lass' poncho style costume. It totally suits her. Good work Matt! Hopefully someone in DC PTB sees this and is inspired to create it (or close to it) for Shady in the near future. Anything beats her current Victoria's Secret battle armour.

Tyroc needs a better costume than the one in Legion #2, that's for certain. I'm just not sure that an African-esque design is the right way to go with his.

#622933 06/23/10 06:52 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Titan Lad:
Also, I wouldn't mind Saturn Girl growing her hair out. Frank has the only one whose been able to do it right (I assume he was attempting to make her look like Mia Farrow) but I don't think Perez or Cinar have been able to do it much justice.
Oh, we're polar opposites here. I like Cinar's work on Saturn Girl's hair. She looks like she's just got a sensible no-nonsense thing going on. With Frank's style, with the gaunt cheekbones and hollow eyes, it looked like Imra was fresh out of chemotherapy... Even when Frank drew her smiling, she looked worn out and fragile, to me.

Cinar's Imra seems more like 'woman on the go.'

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#622934 06/23/10 08:17 AM
Active
Active
i just want action figures (dc direct are you listening) with legionnaires in each of their different costumes.

Bring back the super-cousins
#622935 06/23/10 08:28 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I like Cinar's version of Imra, myself.

And I don't think that Legionnaires have to wear combat armour, that we recognize as such nowadays, to be protected.

Way-back-when, there was industructable material.
(Used in their flag, no less!)

Too much armour would make their movements sluggish and their balance off.
But, some emphasis on costume practicality and what things are made of might help since their foes are out for blood.

I don't want any of them in long robes, but I think making them on the opposite end as sexual objects is just as wrong.
More so.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#622936 06/23/10 02:39 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Set:
Also, I wouldn't mind Saturn Girl growing her hair out. Frank has the only one whose been able to do it right (I assume he was attempting to make her look like Mia Farrow) but I don't think Perez or Cinar have been able to do it much justice.
Oh, we're polar opposites here. I like Cinar's work on Saturn Girl's hair. She looks like she's just got a sensible no-nonsense thing going on. With Frank's style, with the gaunt cheekbones and hollow eyes, it looked like Imra was fresh out of chemotherapy... Even when Frank drew her smiling, she looked worn out and fragile, to me.

I can see how you make that comparison. To me, he used Imra's drastically differentiated features (in the flashback in 863 she has a much softer facial composure) to display the turmoil and stress of the Legion's predicament. But with Frank, it also was a tad more forward thinking as it played upon Farrow's hairstyle which was very radical for the time.
click to enlarge

They seem rather similar to me, I think what I appreciate most about this hairstyle is the fact that is so different from the typical Super Hero. It's functional while still dynamic enough to be interesting. Also, I just went and looked up Cinar's take on Imra... it definitely wasn't as bad as I had thought it was. It actually is kind of cute.

#622937 06/23/10 04:34 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Mia is totally hot in the picture. If Imra looked more like her and less like Skeletor, I would have been all for it!

Charlize Theron used to rock that sort of hairdo as well, IIRC. Wow, just was googling around to see if I could find a pic of it, and was swept away with what an amazing Imra she would be...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#622938 06/23/10 04:56 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Mia is totally hot in the picture. If Imra looked more like her and less like Skeletor, I would have been all for it!

Charlize Theron used to rock that sort of hairdo as well, IIRC. Wow, just was googling around to see if I could find a pic of it, and was swept away with what an amazing Imra she would be...
Charlize Theron is so stunning she could pull off any hairstyle, and yes, she would make the perfect Imra!

I think with Frank, the main problem would be her eyes. They seem to large for her face at times, which ends up making Imra look somewhat emaciated (okay very emaciated) but I still enjoy it for some reason?

#622939 06/23/10 05:41 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Here's an original costume created by Curt Swan, I think, and drawn by our Sketch Lad.
I added a little keyhole in the middle of the star.

To me, this is appropriate and a little sexy but not a costume for sexy's sake.
She's covered but still very appealing.
Beauty Blaze is one of the most beautiful characters, like Quicksand, who is seldom used.
sigh
Sketch draws all females wonderfully, though.

[Linked Image]

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#622940 06/23/10 05:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
She looks a lot better here than she did in Legion of 3 Worlds.

#622941 06/23/10 05:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
[b]

I can see how you make that comparison. To me, he used Imra's drastically differentiated features (in the flashback in 863 she has a much softer facial composure) to display the turmoil and stress of the Legion's predicament. But with Frank, it also was a tad more forward thinking as it played upon Farrow's hairstyle which was very radical for the time.
click to enlarge

They seem rather similar to me, I think what I appreciate most about this hairstyle is the fact that is so different from the typical Super Hero. It's functional while still dynamic enough to be interesting. Also, I just went and looked up Cinar's take on Imra... it definitely wasn't as bad as I had thought it was. It actually is kind of cute. [/b]
I knew that look was familiar.

#622942 06/23/10 05:59 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Candle:
Here's an original costume by Swan, I think, and drawn by Sketch Lad.
I added a little keyhole in the middle of the star.

To me, this is appropriate and a little sexy but not a costume for sexy's sake.
She's covered but still very appealing.
Beauty Blaze is one of the most beautiful characters, like Quicksand, who is seldom used.
sigh
Sketch draws all females wonderfully, though.

[Linked Image]
Love that! When I was reading Legion of 3 Worlds I thought she seemed pretty interesting but I know very little about her. I definitely wouldn't mind for her to reappear wearing that costume.

#622943 06/23/10 06:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
She looks a lot different in Lo3W. Not in her powered up form, but when she looks human she actually looks like Shimmer used to from Teen Titans.

#622944 06/24/10 12:14 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Love that! When I was reading Legion of 3 Worlds I thought she seemed pretty interesting but I know very little about her. I definitely wouldn't mind for her to reappear wearing that costume.
Here she is in her first appearance in the Adult Legion story that's such a classic:

[Linked Image]

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#622945 06/24/10 12:32 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Here she is in her first appearance in the Adult Legion story that's such a classic:

[Linked Image]
Well that makes me look stupid...I instinctively assumed their was a poster named Swan. That is definitely different than the version we saw in Legion of 3 Worlds.

Ignore my ignorance!

#622946 06/24/10 07:19 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
My bad!
I'll edit my post so that people know that I'm talking about CurtSwan.
smile

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#622947 06/24/10 08:15 AM
Substitute
Substitute
My bad!
I'll edit my post so that people know that I'm talking about [b]Curt
Swan.
smile [/b]
Oh, it's fine! It's more my stupidity than anything else.

#622948 06/25/10 07:22 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Someone who needs a costume update might be Dream Girl.

It was awesome seeing her in Legion #2 and I'm glad she's back, but it was a bit of a let down seeing her in her old costume. It almost seemed boring compared to the updated costumes of this "new" Legion. I realize its a classic but almost everyone else has been given an updated costume so why not her?

I was kinda hoping that she'd show up wearing the threeboot Nura's threads (which to me is the finest costume for this character that I've seen so far!).
Perhaps threeboot Nura might have visited retroboot Nura in a dream or something (you know ... her power transcending all time/space realities) and inspire retro Nura to update her classic costume.

Well, I can Dream can't I?

#622949 06/26/10 07:09 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
Originally posted by cleome:
[b] [snip]
How does this address the point that Lightning Lad has more of his skin covered than his sister does? Or that Grev is usually shown with more of his skin covered than his cousin Tasmia?
It doesn't, it addresses a different point, which is that Saturn Girl's costume is unrealistic because there are things she could wear that would protect her more, to which the reply is that pretty much all superheroes have that problem, not just the ones in skimpy clothes. [/b]
Y'know, I wear steel-toed boots where I work, because the people who run the place ordered me to wear them. Before the upgraded safety rule took effect, the only rule about footwear was to wear a flat-soled, closed-toe shoe-- either a boot or an exercise shoe. I already owned several pairs of closed-toe leather workboots, so those were what I originally wore.

The steel-toed workboot provides more protection than does a plain closed-toe leather workboot. However, either type of boot provides more protection than a bare-toed shoe like a flip-flop would.

In short, I don't think your argument here holds water. Somebody with clothing covering most of their body is still going to be better protected on average than somebody who only has a few scraps of clothing over their naughty bits. IOW: less clothing in a combat-related situation comes across as less realistic, for the most part. It's pretty straightforward.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#622950 06/26/10 07:34 PM
K
kcekada Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
K
I thought the art was better this time around. I'm glad that Cinar (hope that's the correct spelling) doesn't draw the Legion as old and craggy as Gary Frank drew them. It is unfortunate that he's saddled with Gary Frank's uniforms though. I can't believe Frank had the audacity to change Cockrum's uniform for Lightning Lad. That is sacrilege! But I don't mind his update on Wildfire's encasing -- too much. While I don't think Drake would like his energy showing -- maybe Dawny does.

Tyroc's new look is okay. Certainly better than most of Frank's designs. I do think, though, that the book would be well-served by hiring a dynamic artist -- maybe from the sci fi world who could come up with some sleek, futuristic designs -- as well as tech for the Legion.

Frank went back to the Silver Age for inspiration -- big mistake. As much as I loved the Bronze Age outfits, I think it is time to move forward. Heck, I'll even concede that Garth could be due for something new -- but only if it's better than Cockrum's design. Frank's design isn't it.

#622951 06/26/10 07:37 PM
K
kcekada Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
K
Originally posted by future king:
Someone who needs a costume update might be Dream Girl.

I was kinda hoping that she'd show up wearing the threeboot Nura's threads (which to me is the finest costume for this character that I've seen so far!).
You mean the Kitson version with clouds on the tights? Err... pass. I recall Adam Hughes drew a modern version of the classic in Legionnaires (pre reboot) that might be okay.

#622952 06/26/10 07:54 PM
I'd also like to see Nura get a new look. The silver-blue or silver-red combo would be nice, but I think I'd pass on the Spears midriff. <span style="font-size: 11px;">Gah. So tired of seeing that everywhere.</span>

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,103
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden