Roll Call
1 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller), 41 Murran Spies, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/07/24 04:22 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 03:19 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 03:19 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legion of Super-Heroes #6 Preview
#623421 02/11/12 11:36 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
is at ifanboy.com

Art looks great, but what's this "Jan doesn't play well with others" jazz?

Re: Legion of Super-Heroes #6 Preview
#623422 02/12/12 12:22 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
is at ifanboy.com

Art looks great, but what's this "Jan doesn't play well with others" jazz?
I wonder if we're meant to think of that as just being Dirk's opinion rather than stated fact?

I could imagine an extroverted party boy like Sun Boy mistaking Jan's more introspective personality for snobbiness or a lack of social skills...

Or I guess it could be yet another example of the bizarre characterisations we've had since this LO3W like Brainy's outright rudeness, Polar Boy's transformation to a lecherous drunk, Ultra Boy becoming a dumb jock and Shady's attraction to powerful nutjobs....

#623423 02/12/12 02:07 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
They don't seem t o enlarge for me.
Is that something in my computer or is there someone who can please, get us the pages that can be enlarged?

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#623424 02/12/12 04:10 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
It wouldn't enlarge for me either. I had to squint like crazy, and fill in the blanks on the words that didn't flow, like whatever the name of the region was. (If they hadn't brought up it being near to where Dragonwing was, I wouldn't have the slightest clue where to place it, since the place name was too small for me to even guesstimate.)

I saw Sun Boy's statement as irony / unreliable narration, since Jan's the one who *has* been working with others during Levitz' run, while Sun Boy has been running off to do things alone, for the most part.

Sun Boy's a lot of things, but he doesn't seem to have ever been a great judge of character. I mean, seriously Dirk, the *one girl in thirty years you bring back to the HQ is a robot that is using you to get past security and attack the team?*

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#623425 02/12/12 06:37 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Candlelight:
They don't seem t o enlarge for me.
Is that something in my computer or is there someone who can please, get us the pages that can be enlarged?
open the pictute then right click on it and 'save picture as' then use your picture viewer to enlarge the saved .jpg file

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#623426 02/12/12 01:49 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
[b] They don't seem t o enlarge for me.
open the pictute then right click on it and 'save picture as' then use your picture viewer to enlarge the saved .jpg file [/b]
If you're using a browser that supports tabs, just right click on the thumbnail and select "Open Link in New Tab." Clicking on the opened picture should enlarge(+ cursor) or shrink(- cursor) it.

#623427 02/12/12 06:43 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thank-you, SAL and kenaustin, I did both things and they worked wonderfully.
hug

I love the art, it's so clear.

I got the impression that the word 'Jan' might have been a mistake that the editor didn't catch.
I think that it should have been 'Dirk doesn't play well with others.'
Just a thought, but it IS more in keeping with the character and actions shown, imo.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#623428 02/12/12 08:29 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Thank-you, SAL and kenaustin, I did both things and they worked wonderfully.
hug

I love the art, it's so clear.

I got the impression that the word 'Jan' might have been a mistake that the editor didn't catch.
I think that it should have been 'Dirk doesn't play well with others.'
Just a thought, but it IS more in keeping with the character and actions shown, imo.
Good catch. That makes much more sense. Also on that same page Jan calls Chemical Kid "lad". Shouldn't he have said "kid"?

#623429 02/12/12 11:43 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Nah, it's definitely not talking about Dirk - Dirk is the one doing the narration (you might not be able to see it on the smaller image but it's got his icon in the narrative boxes).

Also, I think Jan was just calling CK lower-case lad as a term of endearment, not Lad as an abbreviation of his code name smile

#623430 02/13/12 02:14 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Hmmm.
Why would Dirk use a term of endearment for a kid he hasn't really talked with, that we've seen, really?

And while I think you're probably correct about the Jan/Dirk thingy, I don't understand why Dirk would say that about Jan when Jan is the one working with Chem and Dirk is the one who takes off on his own to do things himself.
sigh

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#623431 02/13/12 07:21 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Maybe Jan's taking Chem Kid under his wing since their powers are somewhat similar.

#623432 02/13/12 04:36 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Oh, I agree.
He may feel bad about Condo, as well.

Jan and Chem, I forget his name, are pretty much the only ones left with those kind of powers, that and the one we saw in Adventure.

There IS a female Trommite in the 21st century, though.
We see her with the anti-Superman bad guys in a bullet in Kal's brain in this last Action.
I wonder if she was pulled from time?

Maybe she'll turn up as Shavghn, I can never remember how to spell her name correctly frown , and she and Jan can be the Adam and Eve of their world.

Condo's powers were passed on from his genes, so maybe Chem could be used as a source for repopulation, too.
nod

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#623433 02/15/12 09:26 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Even as leader Jan didn't have many friends he paled around with in the Legion that I recall, and he's been with the team for a long time. That's probably what Dirk was referring to. He's never been in any of the cliques or pairings that I recall (aside from his friendship with Imra).

A decent issue but a little slight. For a character focused issue, we didn't learn a whole heck of a lot about Dragonwing other than she's learning to play better with others and is becoming more competent, which is good, but doesn't strike me as enough.

I must say, Paul got me with the dog reveal though.

#623434 02/15/12 10:48 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
That's true about Jan.
But he was always so young compared to the first wave of Legionnaires.

Thinking back, I'm surprised he didn't have more friends in the later group of inductees, like Shady, Dawnstar, Mysa, Blok, Condo and Wildfire.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#623435 02/15/12 02:59 PM
Active
Active
Didn't care for this issue at all once it started focusing on Dragonwing... a bit of a shark jumper for me. I have no interest where her storyline may lead at the moment. Too much focus on her and Chem Kid... I want to see my old-timey Legionnaires. This series feels more like an extension of the brief, recent Adventure Comics series as opposed to the previous LSH.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#623436 02/15/12 06:14 PM
S
Active
Active
S
This was a boring issue. The clear highlight was Nura picking up Thom and carrying him. It's impressive that she's that strong.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#623437 02/15/12 07:33 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Loved it! Portela came back from his month off to turn in some beautiful work. Everybody looked great, lots of cool background detail and excellent coloring. I'm enjoying the relationship that is developing between Jan and Hadru. It really makes me wish that Jan and Condo had developed a friendship back in the day. Dragonwing's story, her sister and dog all have me intrigued. And yay, more Dominators. Things seemed to wrap up too quickly a couple of issues ago, so I'm glad to see that was more of a prelude and we still have the main event to look forward to.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#623438 02/15/12 08:06 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
When they first appeared in the Legion Academy, I did not like Chemical Kid or Dragonwing. But now they are growing on me. It seems like going into the big leagues made them grow up. Chemical Kid is not all cocksure anymore and Dragonwing actually <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> called for help</span></span>

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#623439 02/15/12 11:53 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Sir Tim Drake:
This was a boring issue. The clear highlight was Nura picking up Thom and carrying him. It's impressive that she's that strong.
Haven't seen it, but back int he day they used to explain things like that as the effects of "Legion Combat Training". Plus Nura's power isn't physical so if they're trying to show she has the sense to put extra effort toward being fit, all the better.

#623440 02/16/12 05:07 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Shining Son:
Originally posted by Sir Tim Drake:
[b]This was a boring issue. The clear highlight was Nura picking up Thom and carrying him. It's impressive that she's that strong.
Haven't seen it, but back int he day they used to explain things like that as the effects of "Legion Combat Training". Plus Nura's power isn't physical so if they're trying to show she has the sense to put extra effort toward being fit, all the better. [/b]
Flight rings!!!!

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#623441 02/16/12 05:18 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Just as Mon-El has spent a lot of time getting used to 'action in the dark,' perhaps Nura has built up some muscle from gymnastic bedroom pursuits with a man who can increase his (or her) weight?

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#623442 02/16/12 01:59 PM
Active
Active
It really makes me wish that Jan and Condo had developed a friendship back in the day.
That's the one thing that never made too much sense for me why did they not utilize them together better and more. I can only think of one time they shared a team together was when Jan was after Roxxas and Chemical King changed the gun's laser that Jan was gonna use on Roxxas.

Bring back the super-cousins
#623443 02/17/12 01:34 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
And that wasn't exactly using them together, was it?
frown
I can see Jan making a few elements from other elements and Condo creating the catalystic combination to make something amazing from them.
sigh

Well, I got to read it and I found the suns on the thoughts from Dirk, even if they didn't make much sense, other than ironically.

I loved the dog and Dragonwing's family was interesting to me.
I can hardly wait to see where this goes, as well as finding out if Dirk is successful and what that will mean for that area of the Earth.

The head Dominian monster was right out of Star Wars or Startroopers or something equally weird, maybe Grimm.?
lol

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#623444 02/18/12 09:29 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
I really enjoyed this issue! It flowed quite nicely, and it's good to see that while the new recruits have injected some new blood into Levitz's writing, they're sharing the stage with the existing Legionnaires rather than stealing it.

The bit with Cham actually took me by surprise - well done!

The bit with Nura and Thom...I am still baffled as to why Thom needs physical therapy, but it's obviously not being used as an excuse to write him out of the book so I can deal with it. Nura carrying him doesn't bother me. She has used her flight ring to simulate increased strength in combat before, I don't see any reason she wouldn't think of it outside of combat.

The art was amazing again - from the lake of fire to the moody setting of China in the rain to the Dominion world, it was all dynamic and well-visualised. I was especially happy with the Dominion world given that I previously had been a little unimpressed with the way Portela did their ships.

Admittedly Dragonwing's sister was a lot less impressive as a threat than I was expecting her to be. It was good to see Dragonwing strutting her stuff anyway though.

Speaking of Dragonwing, is it just me or do we not ever actually see her power in effect? There have only been a few instances where we've actually seen her use her power at all, but I can't remember the last time I saw it actually having an effect anything like either acid or fire...

#623445 02/18/12 10:49 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
There was a lot to like this issue, but I definitely found the Dragonwing section less compelling than it should have been. It felt like I needed a bunch of extra background to understand what was going on that just wasn't provided. Maybe this stuff will be filled in during the next issue, but I think it made this one less effective on its own.

I'm really hoping that at least some reference is made to Dragonmage as this story goes along, but I just kept thinking that he would be the perfect fit for this story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,192
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Arm Fall Off Boy
Arm Fall Off Boy
North Carolina