Roll Call
1 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller), 37 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Buy these books-OR THE LEGION DIES---AGAIN!
#624134 03/24/10 12:24 AM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
Well, folks, here comes our next big chance. Many of us have asked for a new Legion book, and lo and behold, we get TWO! We have waxed philisophical about "Gee, if only someone like Paul Levitz would write the Legion." We get someone EXACTLY like Paul Levitz!

But I also noticed that during the v5 run especially, I saw a number of posters saying "Well I haven't bought the Legion in years, yada, yada, yada."

So what are we going to do? I realize there are only 1500+ members on this board, and probably only 20% post, but c'mon, let's support these books! Tell your friends! Tell your enemies! If these don't sell, who knows when, or if, we'll get another chance?

Who's with me?!?!?!?!

Long Live all them Legions!
Re: Buy these books-OR THE LEGION DIES---AGAIN!
#624135 03/24/10 08:56 AM
Active
Active
I'm with you ... and waiting for my first scream (on panel) AYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!

Bring back the super-cousins
#624136 03/24/10 09:35 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
This is the scenario I've always wanted to happen so I'll definitely be buying and encouraging others to buy as well!

"Levitz returning to the original Legion" - it's been a dream for years! (Not that I'm looking for anyone to start arguing about what the original Legion is exactly, but I think you get what I'm saying).

I have high hopes, and hope it sells well!

#624137 03/24/10 10:18 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I'm certainly not going to buy a product that I don't like simply to continue having the opportunity to keep buying that product.

If it's good, people should buy it. If it's not, they shouldn't.

Me, I'll be waiting for reviews before I make up my mind whether to give it a try.

DC has burnt us too many times.

#624138 03/24/10 12:32 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
I'm with Eryk.

Considering the price of comics these days and my own limited income, however, I doubt that I will be buying any comics for the foreseeable future.

This is not really a problem, as far as I'm concerned. The Legion will always hold a special place in my heart, but I'm just no longer interested in following ongoing super-hero series unless they have something original to say. I've seen very few comics from DC or Marvel in the last 20 years or so that offer something new.

In any case, I refuse to be goaded by DC into buying a Legion product just because "we might not get another one." DC, like any other company, is in the business of selling a product, and, like any other company, it tries to make us think we "need" this product or that if we don't buy it something fearful will happen.

In truth, something fearful can happen anyway. We end up wasting time and money on a product that gives us no joy and instead frustrates us. Thanks, Corporate America, but no thanks.

(That said, I wish the new books well and hope they become a huge artistic and commercial success.)

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#624139 03/24/10 05:33 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I've been hemmorhaging comics from my pull-list anyway, as Guardians of the Galaxy fell in quality, and the Teen Titans continued it's slaughter-tastic ways and comics that I liked, such as Young Avengers and Agents of Atlas just sort of fizzled out for the event-garbage.

I'll put the money I'm saving into checking out the new Legion launch. I ended up liking many elements of the Threeboot, despite my annoyance at it's founding premise, and I suspect I'll similarly find *something* to like about the new run as well.

This new artist (whose name I am not going to butcher by even trying to spell it) looks pretty amazing, at least. Shooter brought some goods (and some head-slappers), so it should be interesting to see what Levitz has to show.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#624140 03/24/10 06:05 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
I haven't REALLY enjoyed the legion since the last Levitz run.
Sure the other versions had their moments and some great arcs, but the Levitz era is what truely defines the Legion to me. Maybe because thats when I started to really follow it.

Anyways, I am very excited to have Levitz back on board and am hoping he can bring some of the epic feel there was to the Legion back in that time.

#624141 03/24/10 06:14 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'll buy both books. I've purchased every version of the Legion and typically find more to enjoy than to frustrate. Even if the books end up being not so good in comparison to other eras and versions, I would rather read the stories and judge for myself. If the books aren't good I will keep buying and hope they get better. The Legion and Wonder Woman are the only two series that I have this level of loyalty to. I'm also happy to talk to anyone about the Legion and encourage them to give the books a try. Not many people listen, though...

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#624142 03/24/10 07:34 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
shrug

Times are not good. I'll certainly check it out if I can. But frankly, DC has nobody to blame but its marketers when most titles don't sell. They're still using an antiquated system to sell books, failing to price them competitively, and banking on hardcore fans to keep the money flowing-- instead of trying to just plain get more casual readers outside little corners of paradise like this.

And as I said before when we heard Levitz was coming back: you can't go home again. He's a different person than he was and so are we. I'm not going into this expecting everything to be like it was before. In fact, I'd be disappointed if it were.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#624143 03/24/10 08:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm buying both books sight unseen.

BUT!

I proved with myself on LSH # 50 (3-boot version) that I can and will refuse to purchase garbage with the LSH title on it. (Still haven't bought it to this day, for which I am so proud!!)

I'm suspecting the new titles will be well above garbage level, but DON'T TEST ME is all I'm sayin'! smile

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#624144 03/24/10 09:15 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I will be there like Jack the bear from Delaware.

#624145 03/24/10 10:53 PM
Originally posted by cleome:
And as I said before when we heard Levitz was coming back: you can't go home again. He's a different person than he was and so are we. I'm not going into this expecting everything to be like it was before. In fact, I'd be disappointed if it were.
This is an excellent point that bears emphasis. When rock bands (for example) reunite, they usually end up being a big disappointment. No one can live up to a reputation inflated by nostalgia.

#624146 03/24/10 11:15 PM
Active
Active
Well if you ask me, and no one has.javascript:%20x() Hope for the best, expect the worst and prepare for both. that is what I plan on doing. So I'll be there for issue 1 but as MLLASH put so brilliantly, DON'T TEST ME.

I sought truth.. and found friendship and love, which even your lies can never take the memory of from me. (B5 to Time Trapper LSH 50)
#624147 03/25/10 07:06 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
You better believe I'm going to show my support for my beloved Legion by buying both books (I have been collecting the Adventure book anyway since the Legion has been involved with it for the past 8 issues).
I expect to be entertained though for the money I'll be spending, but that's no different than what I expect from any comic I buy these days.

The bottom line is that there is a special place in my heart for the LSH, it's been like that since I was eight years old. I've been with them through thick and thin and will continue to do so in 2010 with this new chapter in their lives.
I think with Levitz at the helm and an up-and-coming hot new artist, plus dealing with the "classic Legion" we all grew up with is a win-win scenario.
Now if we can just get today's teenages and twentysomethings to get excited about the new Legion books we may just have a chance at enjoying our favorite team for years (and years) to come.

#624148 03/25/10 12:21 PM
Active
Active
The ONLY comic books I buy are Legion books so it's these or nothing for me. I think the two new books deserve all of our initial support. If the quality doesn't turn out to be there ultimately... then that is the point where people should drop out. Let's at least let DC know up front that we are still here in large numbers and willing to buy a good quality book.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#624149 03/25/10 07:58 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I look at it this way. I'm not just a Legion fan; reading (and writing about) Legion comics is my hobby. As such, it's no less important to me to get the bad Legion comics than it is to get the good ones. So I'll still be there even if Levitz doesn't have the mojo anymore. I don't recommend this attitude to everyone, you understand; it's just how I approach it.

(And it's not that I don't care, or don't want the comics to be good. Of course I do.)

#624150 03/26/10 12:27 AM
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Originally posted by cleome:
[b] And as I said before when we heard Levitz was coming back: you can't go home again. He's a different person than he was and so are we. I'm not going into this expecting everything to be like it was before. In fact, I'd be disappointed if it were.
This is an excellent point that bears emphasis. When rock bands (for example) reunite, they usually end up being a big disappointment. No one can live up to a reputation inflated by nostalgia. [/b]
True. And that's why, if I end up reading the book, I'm not necessarily going to expect the people involved to outdo what they did before. Particularly since I don't have those old books in front of me and haven't been able to read them in twenty years. Maybe my memory of how they were the living end isn't even reliable. I already suspect that some of my favorite stories from that "lost" era are the ones that aren't even particularly loved by other fans. So, you know, there's that.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#624151 03/26/10 02:35 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by future king:
The bottom line is that there is a special place in my heart for the LSH, it's been like that since I was eight years old. I've been with them through thick and thin and will continue to do so in 2010 with this new chapter in their lives.
Well said, future king! I'm on board with the Legion, even if it is a sinking ship...er, oxygen-leaking spacecruiser? The Legion has always been my only real "obsession" with comics. Other books have come and gone. I have always preferred the Levitz era, but rather than complain endlessly about all the versions and reboots, I tried to focus on the good parts of each. I'm sure I won't like everything Levitz does, but I'm not going anywhere!!

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#624152 03/26/10 03:21 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Count me in as being in the "here for good (or bad)" camp. I stopped collecting LSH for a while when I first went to university, and I've regretted it every since.

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
Arm Fall Off Boy #771251 05/17/13 04:25 PM
Active
Active
It's certainly interesting to read everyone's expectations of Levitz, the Legion, and their intended commitment to the franchise from back in 2010. It's also interesting how the title of this thread was a fulfilled prophesy now in 2013.

Now that the Legion is being cancelled in 2013, what can we glean from people's expectations of Levitz and the Legion from back in the day?

Arm Fall Off Boy #771261 05/17/13 06:30 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
My comment about having found things to like in the Threeboot and in Shooters (at that time, recent) work, therefore I would likely find things to enjoy in this new Levitz launch seems hopelessly naïve, after the fact.

I was cautiously optimistic, even after the disheartening press blurbs enthusiastically going on about blowing up planets and breaking up couples to 'shake things up.'

Now, not so much.

I'll probably pick up at least the beginning of the gossiped-about 'Justice Legion,' if it's not just a wild rumor, because A) I'm a glutton for punishment and never learn, and B) the undefeatable child in my heart still holds out hope that it might not suck (or, like the Threeboot, Reboot and 'Shooterboot,' it might have some gems I can admire buried amid the other stuff).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Eryk Davis Ester #771262 05/17/13 07:02 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
I'm certainly not going to buy a product that I don't like simply to continue having the opportunity to keep buying that product.

If it's good, people should buy it. If it's not, they shouldn't.

Apparently I wussed out, because even though I didn't buy most of v6 until after the run was done, I've been buying v7 pretty consistently, even though I really haven't been enjoying it much.

Arm Fall Off Boy #771275 05/17/13 09:18 PM
I bought only the first issue of the Levitz retroboot (What is that? V. 6 or v. 7? I've lost track.) I was disappointed that Levitz believed the way to sell Legion comics these days is to blow up planets and to portray Brainy as a loopy, out-of-touch intellectual who talks to himself.

One development I did like, though, was the Legion being forced to take an enemy, Earth Man, as a member of the team. This idea has been done before, but the potential for conflict was great. It was a reminder that, for all their autonomy, the Legion was still supported by a governmental body and subject to at least some oversight, similar to the control President Chu exerted over the team in the reboot. (Of course the whole earth-first bigotry angle of the book was too X-Menish for my tastes.)

Ultimately, though, the Earth Man plotline wasn't enough to keep me coming back. My tastes have changed, and the first issue was a reminder that, as I said above, you really can't go back. And that's good because there are so many new things to discover.

He Who Wanders #771341 05/18/13 10:56 AM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
I bought only the first issue of the Levitz retroboot (What is that? V. 6 or v. 7? I've lost track.) I was disappointed that Levitz believed the way to sell Legion comics these days is to blow up planets and to portray Brainy as a loopy, out-of-touch intellectual who talks to himself.

It seems to me death & destruction on a galactic scale (31st Century) & global scale (21st Century) is the norm now.

Arm Fall Off Boy #771348 05/18/13 11:15 AM
I fear you're right, googoomuck, which is all the more reason why it's time for some of us to move on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,110
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Not-So-Bad Lad
Not-So-Bad Lad
The Evil Anti-Moon!!!!