Roll Call
0 members (), 48 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 11:36 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Legion-related November 2009 Solicitations and Images ... SPOILERS
#627797 08/21/09 07:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Salvatore created a wonderful look for Mon El.

I wish I could figure out the way to transfer the picture from the article on the second page in Bits, under Mon El contest.

It keeps the jacked ends while making it tighter.
The Legion buckle could be changed and the one gold medalian on his chest could have the Superman logo added.

Anyway, I just think it's much better than the one we see on that cover.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#627798 08/22/09 02:17 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Salvatore Cuffari's Mon-el:

[Linked Image]

and a few more contest entries .

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#627799 08/22/09 07:00 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by matlock:
Actually, I always thought what set Mon-El apart as a Legionnaire (pre-TMK) was that he was not a hero in the 20th century. He was an explorer who got thrust into being a hero by a twist of fate (and a boulder of lead.) He was yanked out of the Phantom Zone, given a treatment for an incurable and fatal disease and set to work. Over the years he was portrayed as increasingly moody and depressed, culminating in the Levitz/Lightle issue where he nearly kills himself rather than return to the zone. Of course TMK swept all that under the rug when they decided that he was another square jawed hero and it was Eltro Gand that was the downer (even before the Valor retcon.) Unfortunately, succeeding versions of Lar have always added in the 20th century hero version which I think took away what made the original unique.
Robinson's really not playing up the superhero elements of Mon-el...the focus is very much Mon-El exploring Earth...the villain fights often occupy little more than a panel and scarcely more than a passing mention from Mon-El. In fact some fans are getting on Robinson for there being so little emphasis on the superheroing. This is very much an exploration rather than an Adventure or Action.

And I think Robinson definitely shares the view that Mon-El is an explorer more than a hero, which is not one many writers have shared.

Also this story says a great deal about Mon-El...this guy was released from probably a decade in the zone and rather than doing what he wanted to do almost instantly started honoriing a request from Superman...it's not something he particularly wants to do, more something he is doing because a friend asked it of him.

I'm almost certain that the original Mon-El was released from the zone very briefly during Superman's time at least once during the Silver Age as well. I seem to recall him saving Superman in an issue of Superman. I'm just sort of looking at this as the retelling of that in the decompressed era of comics storytelling.

Basically they are introducing Mon-El back to the Superman audience, and I imagine hoping that some of them follow Mon-El to the Legion's time.

I don't even see this as contradictory to the to original continuity, because Mon-El didn't talk about everything that happened to him...and a lot can happen in a thousan years.

After a thousand years this brief respite from the zone will seem like seconds...

As long as he goes back into the zone....and hopefully without that costume.

#627800 08/22/09 08:22 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
That Cuffari design: I want that. A little bit regal, definitely more modest and not out of character.

Originally posted by Superboy:
Originally posted by matlock:
[b] Actually, I always thought what set Mon-El apart as a Legionnaire (pre-TMK) was that he was not a hero in the 20th century. He was an explorer who got thrust into being a hero by a twist of fate (and a boulder of lead.)
...some fans are getting on Robinson for there being so little emphasis on the superheroing. This is very much an exploration rather than an Adventure or Action.

And I think Robinson definitely shares the view that Mon-El is an explorer more than a hero, which is not one many writers have shared.
[/b]
I really can't think of writers that have depicted him otherwise, in issues in which he is the focus. Robinson is not really writing anything new in that regard, which is fine by me. When depicted as part of the group, action is usually the case but that seems fairly normal.

There's room for expanding Mon-El in the present, without harming the expected future, IMO.

His travels have previously been depicted as bits of both "seeking" or "adventuring."

Robinson has been concentrating on the "adventuring" aspect of the character. That seems reasonable considering he has just been removed from a place in which he has had plenty of time to think and see, but not touch. IMO, Robinson has correctly determined that the things someone in that situation would want to do first is to exercise those five senses.

What better ways than Paris, chocolate, and kisses from Russian Women? laugh

As I've written, other than the Annual, which I thought trash and the possibility that Mitch is a Legionnaire as opposed to a new friend, I've been very happy with the direction Robinson has taken. Now if Billi turns out to be another Legionnaire or his spaceship manefests an avator, I'm right out.

#627801 08/22/09 03:52 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thanks, FC.
smile

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#627802 08/27/09 11:16 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It looks like Super-Karate Kid, to me.

Though it's infinitely better than the JLA one.

I'll miss the baggy-sleeved tunic look of the traditional uniform. It'll come back eventually, though. Of that I'm sure.

#627803 09/01/09 08:42 AM
Substitute
Substitute
IS anyone else less than enthusiastic about a Dawnstar/Wildfire story? If it reaches some sort of resolution of the "I love you, but I cannot be with you" angst, fine. But if it is more of the same, I'm not looking forward to it.

#627804 09/01/09 10:03 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That's the one I'm least looking forward to, expecting more romantic angst and path talk - but hoping to be surprised. For once, I'd like to see the relationship put on the backburner and the mission be the focus.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#627805 09/01/09 10:24 AM
Active
Active
what they need to do with wildfire is make him human with his antienergy powers. i mean enough of him being non human.

Bring back the super-cousins
#627806 09/01/09 10:27 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
What they need to do is have Wildfire and Dawnstar start interacting with anybody other than each other.

#627807 09/01/09 10:32 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
I love a good bucket of soap, or I would never have become a Legion fan in the first place.

But, yeah, I really think that Dawnstar/Wildfire has been played out. Barring a massive overhaul of one or both characters, it's not going to go anywhere new, so far as I can see.

Also, Dawnstar has little enough personality as it is. Maybe they could give her something else to do that would bring something new to her character. I mean, love is swell and all. But it's not the only way to show a character in a different light.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#627808 09/01/09 10:38 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Here's an idea: have Dawny and XS start hanging out. Send 'em on a mission together. They'd drive each other nuts.

#627809 09/01/09 10:43 AM
lol

That reminds me of an exchange a month or so back on LJ's noscans_daily. Everyone was trying to think up a decent female counterpart to the term "Bromance." To me, the obvious solution was "Womance." (It works best if you treat the "o" like a "schwa" sound, though.)

Yeah, Dawnstar and XS. I'd read it. Hell, put any two females together and have them do something other than angst/fight/talk about men and I'd read it. I'm not proud.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#627810 09/01/09 06:30 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Ummm.

Dawny DID have a romance with that Thanagarian woman, when she had amnesia during the Lightning Saga.

Perhaps a Dawnstar and Vi friendship would be interesting.
I would love to see them explore each others worlds.

We've never seen much of either of their homeworlds but they must be interesting places and cultures.

Drake is still thinking like a human male and he really isn't one anymore.
I'd like to see him introduced to some energy type beings or even shapeshifters, that could match his 'type'.

The experience might help him grow away from his dependence on humanoid relationships.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#627811 09/01/09 06:59 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Here's an idea. Over two years ago Dawnstar was given a maybe Thanagarian female love interest and there was some mention of Wildfire having Red Tornado's body. How about following up on those dangling plot threads?

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#627812 09/02/09 05:28 PM
Submission Editor at Source Point Press
Submission Editor at Source Point Press
Okay, I can't stand the Wildfire/Dawnstar bashing.

I get where you're coming from. Wildfire's gotta be my fav Legionnaire - as much as I can HAVE a fav - and I know how their relationship has its ups and downs.

But the two of them obviously belong together. Legion of 3 Worlds confirms it even more, and I think future stories will show them both getting past not being able to do things together.

And Wildfire abandoning his humanity to ascend to some "higher", energy-based life-form? Sorry, I don't buy that.

If he moved on like that, he'd probably abandon the Legion as well, probably give up being in the suit, and float off like a nuclear cloud through space. No thanks, guys, I just respectfully disagree.

#627813 09/02/09 07:19 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Speaking only for myself, I like the two of them too. And I accept that they have a relationship. That's the point, though: they have it. The issue has been resolved. So now let's see what else a Legion writer can do with them that's interesting. Possibly without treating them as joined at the hip.

#627814 09/06/09 02:12 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Matter Lad:
. . . And Wildfire abandoning his humanity to ascend to some "higher", energy-based life-form? Sorry, I don't buy that.

If he moved on like that, he'd probably abandon the Legion as well, probably give up being in the suit, and float off like a nuclear cloud through space.
I don't see it as 'ascending'.
The DCU has shown lots of energy beings who aren't 'higher', just 'differenter'.

The idea is sort of based on the 1,000,000 AD Annuals that DC had a few years ago.
Wildfire was still alive, with his original Legion and love interest long dead.
He became the future Legion's mentor.

Being made of energy, unless some outside force destroys him or absorbs him or something (the bonds that hold his energy together do whatever) he's going to be around for a very long time.

Dawnstar, however incredibly nonhuman that she is (no air, unprotected space travel, incredible speeds not effected by normal physical laws like friction, etc.,) is going to age and die.

But then again, what if she only appears to be a 'matter' being?
What if her mutations allow her unprotected space travel, etc., because she's really an energy being?
Her outer 'shell' (homemade containment suit) just makes her aooear to be organic.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#627815 09/08/09 01:21 AM
Active
Active
Here's the cover to Adventure Comic #5 from Comics Continuum : http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0909/07/adventure5.htm
Looks like Black Lantern Alexei Luthor and Superboy Prime in a CRISIS homage.

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#627816 09/08/09 04:28 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Korbal:
Here's the cover to Adventure Comic #5 from Comics Continuum : http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0909/07/adventure5.htm
Looks like Black Lantern Alexei Luthor and Superboy Prime in a CRISIS homage.
Oh please let this be true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#627817 09/08/09 03:59 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Candle:
. . . But then again, what if she only appears to be a 'matter' being?
What if her mutations allow her unprotected space travel, etc., because she's really an energy being?
Her outer 'shell' (homemade containment suit) just makes her aooear to be organic.
nod

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,257
Legionnaires1,729