Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/12/24 05:15 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Someday, Levitz will leave...
#628627 11/29/12 10:46 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Jay Kay:
[QB] To be fair to Lobdell, his run on Red Hood & The Outlaws and his start on Superman has been AMAZING so far, and I honestly do enjoy his take on Teen Titans.
I'm behind on SUPERMAN and TEEN TITANS has it's good points, like the new characters. But I don't want anyone who would turn Lilith Clay into the thing she is now in the new 52 anywhere near the Legion. Sorry.

#628628 11/30/12 12:20 AM
J
Substitute
Substitute
J
Honestly, I'm not even sure who Lilith Clay is.

#628629 11/30/12 12:48 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Sounds like I need to remember this Hickman fella... he's had some good ideas!!

Jay... Lilith was a groovy psychic go-go-dancing member of the Teen Titans back in the late 60s/70s! In the new 52, she's pretty much a monster (although her path in the pre-52 DCU got pretty freaky at times in the hands of writers who wanted to turn a simple, fun concept into something ridiculously awful.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#628630 11/30/12 12:51 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Pardon my tangent, but:

"Smasher"? "Hyperion"??? As in the Imperial Guard and Squadron Supreme??? Not sure how I feel about that. The SS should NOT be on regular Marvel earth... and the Guardsmen should be in the Shi'ar Galaxy or whatever.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#628631 11/30/12 02:40 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Pardon my tangent, but:

"Smasher"? "Hyperion"??? As in the Imperial Guard and Squadron Supreme??? Not sure how I feel about that. The SS should NOT be on regular Marvel earth... and the Guardsmen should be in the Shi'ar Galaxy or whatever.
I have strong feelings also about how Marvel is diluting concepts of its core groups by just throwing in any mishmash of characters they want, but I guess that is a tangent so will leave it there (spoiler: I DON'T LIKE IT!)

#628632 11/30/12 03:07 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by razsolo: I have strong feelings also about how Marvel is diluting concepts of its core groups by just throwing in any mishmash of characters they want, but I guess that is a tangent so will leave it there (spoiler: I DON'T LIKE IT!)
[tangent] Thanks be to Marvel's nigh-bankruptcy awhile back that they can't pull this crap with the movies. Spider-Man, Wolverine, the Thing, etc. *can't* be in Avengers movies, since they have to get the X-Men/Spider-Man/Fantastic Four movie rights back first! [/tangent]

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#628633 11/30/12 06:16 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm pretty sure I read that Smasher's supposed to be an Earth woman who winds up as an Imperial Guardsman, which should be fun to see how that comes about, then an Avenger.

Aren't there like half a dozen Hyperions to choose from?

#628634 11/30/12 11:25 AM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by Set:
I get the impression that editorial mandates have indeed ravaged (ha, ravaged, get it?) Legion Lost, and contributed mightily to it's failure to thrive, but, since the Sodam Yat / Earth Man / Legion Green Lantern thing got wrapped up and buried in the memory vault, I don't feel like editorial mandates have really had anything to do with Paul's direction on the Legion of Super-Heroes title itself.
Was getting rid of the Fatal Five's history solely Paul's decision, or might there have been some DC influence to reset some of the history for the new 52?

#628635 11/30/12 12:34 PM
J
Substitute
Substitute
J
Originally posted by razsolo:
[b]Pardon my tangent, but:

I have strong feelings also about how Marvel is diluting concepts of its core groups by just throwing in any mishmash of characters they want, but I guess that is a tangent so will leave it there (spoiler: I DON'T LIKE IT!) [/b]
Hey, there was a time when people thought that characters like Wolverine, Spider-Man, Luke Cage and Spider-Woman could never be Avengers, but here we are, years later and I'm genuinely bummed out that Luke is leaving the team and Hickman isn't going to be writing him in his Avengers.

But I digress.

#628636 11/30/12 04:38 PM
Active
Active
I feel that Levitz writing has been getting better but I haven't been enthusiastic about it yet (the last time I was enthusiastic about a LSH run was the TMK or 5YL era). It might have been better if they had rebooted the Legion with the rest of the DC universe for the New 52, although it appears that they may have been retroactively rebooted anyway. I'd pick Tom & Mary Bierbaum for next writer.

#628637 11/30/12 07:10 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
I dunno, I still think that Wolvie shouldn't be an Avenger...I am on the fence about Spidey (though I definitely don't agree with him being in the FF!)....Luke Cage is one of those characters I think who will be always tied to Bendis as a writer; I'd be surprised if we see him have another long stretch as a member, let alone leader....and has Jessica Drew actually done anything of note since joining the team except lessen Julia Carpenter's already slim chances of ever coming back? The Avengers already have a huge potential roster to draw from, I think Marvel needs to relax a bit with making every man and his dog an Avenger for 15 minutes...

To the original question: I would actually be interested in seeing Alan Davis write the Legion. His Excalibur stories showed that he can do long-term plotting, juggle lots of characters & subplots simultaneously, and he has that core optimism and brightness that I think the Legion should embody smile

#628638 11/30/12 07:15 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
^^Not to mention the fact that Davis and Farmer's Superboy's Legion is still my favorite Legion story published since the year 2000!

#628639 11/30/12 07:50 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
For those of you not "feeling" Levitz' current LSH run-- and I number among you more often than not-- I recommend WORLDS' FINEST. It's obvious there he is having a REALLY GOOD time.

Mr. Levitz wrote the bulk of the relaunched JSA's adventures in the 1970s, including most of Power Girl's earliest appearances, and is the (writing, not artistic-- because both count) creator of The Huntress. One can tell he is having a great deal of fun re-establishing the PeeGee/Huntress friendship after the CRISIS eradicated it.

He can still write fun stories solo as is evidenced in WF. I'm looking forward to his re-teaming with an old, wildly creative pal for the LSH... we'll see how that goes.

#628640 11/30/12 07:56 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Agreed that PL's WF is much better than his current Legion!

#628641 11/30/12 08:03 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Lash, Hickman is awesome. I've been loving everything he's touched.

(Some other LWers might not feel as strongly but those hooligans have probably been toking with Mayavale)

#628642 11/30/12 11:10 PM
Active
Active
For those of you not "feeling" Levitz' current LSH run-- and I number among you more often than not-- I recommend WORLDS' FINEST. It's obvious there he is having a REALLY GOOD time.

Mr. Levitz wrote the bulk of the relaunched JSA's adventures in the 1970s, including most of Power Girl's earliest appearances, and is the (writing, not artistic-- because both count) creator of The Huntress. One can tell he is having a great deal of fun re-establishing the PeeGee/Huntress friendship after the CRISIS eradicated it.

He can still write fun stories solo as is evidenced in WF. I'm looking forward to his re-teaming with an old, wildly creative pal for the LSH... we'll see how that goes.
I whole heartedly agree about World's Finest, that's the book that I look most forward to every month.

I've said this before but I think that as a creative team Paul Levitz & Keith Giffen are greater than the sum of the parts. I'm also looking forward to this.

#628643 12/02/12 11:48 PM
J
Substitute
Substitute
J

I think the plots of the individual stories have been a little "eh," but the characterization definitely helps make up for it (not to mention the great Maguire and solid Perez art), though the current arc with Damian has potential.

I just think it would work more if we have more of a solid idea of where the book is going--a villain working behind the scenes that they have to thwart, or something.

#628644 12/03/12 09:33 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I assume the whole "trying to get back home" aspect of WF will eventually set up the inevitable Earth-2/Main DCnU crossover.

I'm kind of hoping the setting eventually shifts to E-2.

#628645 12/03/12 09:49 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Me too. I always kind-of assumed the two ladies would find their way back home after the first big between-Earths crossover. I hope they do.

#628646 12/03/12 04:05 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
^^Not to mention the fact that Davis and Farmer's Superboy's Legion is still my favorite Legion story published since the year 2000!
Oh yes.

Davis draws his young heroes out of equal parts enthusiasm and innocence. I love it, and it makes it feel more potent when he does something dramatic (like kill Gim), as their anguish feels so much more real than it does in a grimmer comic, where everyone is a world-wearied jaded badass and stuff.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#628647 12/04/12 03:16 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I think I'd support a new writer, too. But not Card. I know he largely keeps his homophobia out of his fiction writing, but after reading some of his comments, I wouldn't be able to get them out of my head.

Jonathan Hickman and Scott Lobdell have both stated that they'd like to write the Legion at some point. One, I'd love. One, less so.
I never read Card's infamous homophobic comments, even if I have read about them. I just hope it was some sort of misunderstanding, as it so often happens on the internet. Besides, I never found any homophobic message hidden in his books (otherwise I wouldn't have loved them so much as I did!), and that's what it matters to me: if I stopped reading stuff written by jerks I'm afraid that wouldn't leave many books or comics for me to enjoy tongue

I wouldn't like a Legion written by Hickman or Lobdell, though. The first one is a good writer imho, but I find exhausting his way of building over-complex never-ending storylines. If he just focused on one episode at a time, maybe I'd enjoy his writing more. Lobdell instead I just find mediocre.

#628648 12/11/12 09:49 AM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
Yes on Hickman, that would be a dream! I also like the suggestion of Davis... A good one that I had never thought of

Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,253
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
AndrewNolan
AndrewNolan
Pennsylvania