Roll Call
0 members (), 34 Murran Spies, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/08/24 03:49 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/08/24 03:24 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fabian talks about death and the Legion Lost characters.
#629020 11/12/11 12:58 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

Re: Fabian talks about death and the Legion Lost characters.
#629021 11/12/11 01:11 PM
S
Set Online Content
Long live the Legion!
Online Content
Long live the Legion!
S
Can't wait for the Tellus-narrated issue. We've had precious little deeper characterization of Tellus.

Not as enamored of snarky writers being snarky towards the fanbase for actually caring about scenes they themselves have crafted (if he didn't want anyone to react to that scene, why did he write it? really?), but, meh, he'll figure out eventually not to mock people for reading his stuff.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#629022 11/12/11 01:15 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Thoughts: geez newsarama, would it KILL you to actually get the names of the dead characters right? We're only 3 issues in, there's no excuse for getting things wrong at this point tongue

I am actually really glad that Fabian brought up the idea that he originally wanted them to contact Superman after a few days, which is a completely reasonable thing for them to do. It's still silly that they haven't, but good to know it's interfering editorial and not bad writing...

I like that he sounds so excited every time he talks about these characters and this series. I really feel like this has potential to be as good as his New Warriors or Thunderbolts writing was when it was at its best. smile

#629023 11/12/11 03:25 PM
G
Active
Active
G
Just read that interview.... Wow. He comes across as a completely snarky, unprofessioinal, jerk. Not impressed at all.

#629024 11/12/11 04:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
If he is being bitchy, I am not reading it.

I don't take Gates or Yera's deaths lightly at all and don't want to be mocked for that.

(even if I really do think they will be back)

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#629025 11/12/11 04:48 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Long and short of what I read was him saying that he 'killed' a shape shifter and a teleporter...in a comic. wink wink. In other words, he 'killed' the two characters that can return the easiest.

Made it very clear that they will be returning at some point.

#629026 11/12/11 05:05 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by NoLongerLegion:
Just read that interview.... Wow. He comes across as a completely snarky, unprofessional, jerk. Not impressed at all.
I thought he was a little snarky with the death issue stuff, but it was more of a funny snarky...like 'duh, they'll be back' type thing.

As for the rest of the interview...I thought he was fine. But mileage may vary I guess.

#629027 11/12/11 05:09 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks Dev, that does sound like he's letting us know they will be back... now I am happy, and will read it!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#629028 11/12/11 06:04 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Sorry, he comes across as snarky to me. I don't think many of us really believed that Gates and Yera wouldn't be back. If anybody did, I guess the writer thinks they are really stupid. Nice. So, why bother opening the series by creating the illusion that they were killed to begin with? Just to get a rise out of fans?

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#629029 11/12/11 06:25 PM
S
Set Online Content
Long live the Legion!
Online Content
Long live the Legion!
S
Snark aside, it's totally worth reading.

He's got a lot of neat ideas, and with just seven Legionnaires to focus on, and an intent to make this an ongoing series and not just a six month event, he seems really keen on developing the characterizations of these seven, and taking them further than they've gone before. (Which, for Tyroc and Tellus, will be easy. For Dawny, Drake and Brin, he's got to work to differentiate them from the decades of previous characterization (which, for Drake and Dawny, has been mired down in their star-crossed romance for so long that it's hard to remember the last time either one had a scene where they weren't talking about, thinking about or interacting with each other).

I'm not in love with his characterization of Timber Wolf (more Wolverine clonage, IMO), but I'm eager to see him work with Tellus, in particular.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#629030 11/12/11 06:39 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
From what I read Jerry, the point was to start the team off in a totally desperate situation. Taking out two members, that everyone know will come back was a way to throw the team of kilter from the beginning.

Fabian seemed more shocked that there are fans ranting against how he killed two characters, when he himself thought it was very obvious that those two especially would be back.

Other parts of the interview seemed to show a bit of frustration that he had to change his plans around to fit in to what DC editorial (re: Didio - especially if other reports are believed at all about his handling of DC Comics and micromanaging them into the ground.)

He has had to take his plan and reconfigure it...also, given the endings of various other DCnU #1's, it would not surprise me at all to eventually find out that they wanted the Legionnaires to be blowed up real good in the first issue.

#629031 11/14/11 08:45 AM
K
Active
Active
K
If we're supposed to think "they're a shapeshifter and a teleporter, so they probably survived", shouldn't the characters think the same thing?

Especially with Wildfire there. Wildfire's *introduction* was a story where everyone thought he "died" but he was really still alive.

#629032 11/14/11 09:14 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I dunno about snark. I read it as something more like a "hint, hint" tone. Maybe he's a little exasperated, but given the editorial meddling I can forgive him that.

I'm really excited to pick up the rest and see how Dawnstar, Tyroc and Tellus "narrate" their issues. Yera and Gates too, when they finally come back for good. Hopefully he'll keep alternating between these 7.

#629033 11/14/11 10:18 AM
G
Active
Active
G
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
If we're supposed to think "they're a shapeshifter and a teleporter, so they probably survived", shouldn't the characters think the same thing?

Especially with Wildfire there. Wildfire's *introduction* was a story where everyone thought he "died" but he was really still alive.
Not to mention that (not that I believed it for a second) mere months ago DC announced that the 'revolving door' of death in their comics was being closed and that barring really extenuating circumstances DEAD MEANS DEAD.
So the Jerk has the nerve to be snarky and suggest that those that did believe the characters were dead are some how at fault for believing this? Then there is the really cowardly and unprofessional way over at the DC boards that he more or less blamed the Artist for the nasty 'corpse licking' scene that grossed some readers out: "I wrote the scene as it appeared in print, but we had two different art versions, one tasting, one sniffing.
I am officially on record as being fine with the sniffing version, but clearly, Brian is an even sicker puppy than I am. As for Yera, no, she didn't murder anyone. Red Rage did."
Typical insensitive to the readers (aka Those Without Whom He Would Have No Career) and willing to back track in an instant when confronted on it, DC writer.
Jerk.

#629034 11/14/11 09:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I read the interview before reading any of the above comments. I thought he was funny and winsome. Nothing seemed snarky to me.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#629035 11/16/11 06:30 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I also thought his comments in this interview were ok and not "bitchy" in the slightest.
It's just his sense of humour ... I bet we would all "get" it if we knew him better.

That's all. I don't think he meant any harm.

#629036 11/16/11 07:04 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
I read the interview before reading any of the above comments. I thought he was funny and winsome. Nothing seemed snarky to me.
Well, maybe 10-15% snarky, I'd say. No big deal. <strike>Though everyone who knows me knows that I would never, ever traffic in snark.</strike>

The only thing here that really incensed me was how hard it is to get the damn pop-ups off my screen while reading Newsrama. [scowl]

Unfortunately, my computer is now the equivalent of an '86 Honda Civic, and can't support either new versions of Firefox or new-school blockers.

But that's not the writer's fault, so I won't hold it against him. tongue

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#629037 11/19/11 02:43 PM
Substitute
Substitute
He does come of as snarky and not just in that interview. Over at CBR he was a real ass about the whole thing. My main thing was he "killed" off two of the most minor characters in the Legion, and with DC's recent track record those are usally the ones used at cannon fodder to build up the writers big bad and add that shock value. So how could he not see that with the way things are that alot of fans would be pissed at him for killing them off when you never know if they are coming back or not. Sure he has the vantage point of knowing what his plans are, but for alot of us it came off as just another "shocking" death using minor characters. He got really pissy about it and basically called us stupid for thinking they were really dead.

#629038 11/19/11 03:21 PM
G
Active
Active
G
Pretty much. His toneon the DC boards is often not much better. I still think he is a Jerk.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,208
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP