Roll Call
0 members (), 59 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/13/24 07:30 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/13/24 07:23 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Gaseous Lad - 05/13/24 04:44 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
The Legion is Dead, Long Live the Legion: Article at Newsarama
#30001 05/26/04 06:26 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Newsarama has an interview with Waid and Kitson about the relaunch, just posted a few hours ago.

I haven't read it yet so don't have much else to add but this direct link:

http://newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13487

Re: The Legion is Dead, Long Live the Legion: Article at Newsarama
#30002 05/26/04 06:28 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper

#30003 05/26/04 06:29 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
First impressions.

So they are going back to Legion of Super-Heroes as the title. And doesn't one-shot special usually refer to just one issue? I thought we were getting a two issue crossover.

And Teen Titans with flight rings. Why not just give them out with Cracker Jacks or in a Happy Meal.

Levitz has had a hand in the revamp process. Maybe he cares after all.

#30004 05/26/04 06:39 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Grr. Arrgh.

That said, the three founders have been, are, and will be playing a role. “They’re vastly important,” Waid said of Saturn Girl, Lighting Lad, and Cosmic Boy. “Indescribably important. But that doesn’t mean you’ll be seeing them. After that, we’re still pinning down the membership, so even we’re not 100% certain. Okay, okay--Brainiac 5.”
So are they there are not?

#30005 05/26/04 06:41 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
So, no more teenagers? Or is Waid thinking of a Logan's Run kind of future?

Also, Waid is acutely aware that, given its longevity, the Legion has been deconstructed a number of times by a number of creators, many of whom have made good points when they tore down the team. For instance, who in their right mind would entrust the security of the Earth and United Planets to teenagers?

“That’s the first question we asked when we put every single element of the Legion under the microscope--and when we realized that the inevitable answer, no matter how hard we tried to make it otherwise, was ‘No one,’ that actually laid the inspiration for the entire backstory--as you’ll see.”

#30006 05/26/04 06:56 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Crap.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#30007 05/26/04 07:02 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I read it as they're still teeagers, just not officially sanctioned by the U.P.

#30008 05/26/04 07:03 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hmmm... looks like we've got 2 threads on the subject. In case one of them dies a lonely death here's what I posted on the other one...

"FINALLY!

So the facts are revealed at last and the rumours have all been true - Mark Waid and Barry Kitson are re-re-booting the Legion!

I... don't know what to think about this. I must admit I'm quite surprised - I really didn't think they'd restart the Legion AGAIN and so soon (relatively) after the last re-boot too!

This is a very risky move by DC IMO. Didn't the first re-launch do enough to alienate long-time Legion readers? Are they now trying to piss off the re-boot fans too?

As for myself, I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I LOVED the re-boot Legion. Sure there were some bad periods (PMS and practically all of DnA since issue #2 of the current series) but nothing about this universe was broken beyond repair and any good writer could have picked up the ball and carried the team to new heights. But on the other hand I do really love Kitson and Waid's work (for the most part) and some of the ideas they're cooking up sound really interesting!

I'll definitely give the first few issues a look to see what they've got planned.

... and I'm trying not too let myself get too excited about it because I'm sure fate still has a cruel blow in store for me, but one thing the re-re-boot might hopefully give us is... THE RETURN OF GIM ALLON!!! WOO-HOO!!! (*dancing in giddy glee*)

In fact, someone should probably start a thread of the things they want to see in the re-re-boot. I'll get the ball rolling :

* GIM ALLON ALIVE!
* SHRINKING VIOLET WITHOUT THE GROWTH POWER!
* SENSOR AS THE HUMAN PRINCESS PROJECTRA!
* NO LEGION DEATHS!
* NO SUPERBOY!
... etc."

Adding to your comments LL -

* warning bells went off for me too when I read that thing about the Titans getting flight rings. I DO NOT want to see any Teen Titans (except maybe Superboy) as honorary Legionnaires!

* loving the title change! Legion of Super-Heroes is so much more classic sounding. Thank God it wasn't (ugh!) LSH!

* very excited to see who makes the membership cut! No surprise to see boring old Legion staple Brainiac 5 there (and I'm sure his other over-exposed almuni - Ultra Boy, Apparition, Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, M'Onel, Spark and Chameleon will be there too) but I hope some of the less showy, less-spotlighted Legionnaires make the cut too.

#30009 05/26/04 07:14 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here's a link to the other topic, started by Mr. Kayak, which I missed this morning.

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001429;p=1#000004

#30010 05/26/04 07:17 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Blacula:
Sure there were some bad periods (PMS and practically all of DnA since issue #2 of the current series) but nothing about this universe was broken beyond repair and any good writer could have picked up the ball and carried the team to new heights.
I agree completely. There's no excuse for yet another Legion reboot. I do like the idea of the stories being character-driven. I'm hoping they more or less pick up where they left off and just change the focus of the stories. I don't want the reboot to mean unkilling anybody already dead though, much as I miss Gim. Let's move forward and not backward please.

I hope they relegate Gear to support staff.

I hope they ditch Kid Q and Kinetix.

I hope they use the older Titans in the crossover: Tempest, Nightwing, Flash, etc.

I hope they bring back Dirk, Tenzil and Andromeda (okay, I'd rather have Supergirl, but I don't see it happening.)

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#30011 05/26/04 07:44 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Why, damn it, why?

#30012 05/26/04 07:53 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Even though it's not stated explicitly, it sounds like it's going to be another reboot rather than a change in status quo, but I'm not really sure, which is frustrating (or did I miss something?).

From what Waid said about it being a "movement" rather than a "team" and that no government would trust a bunch of kids to safeguard the universe lead me to think that these teens are going to be "rebels" the way hippies were a rebellious counterculture that had a new worldview that young people were getting behind in hopes of bettering the world (not that the Legion will be "hippies" per se, but maybe the adults of the 31st century might see them as modern day versions?).

If this is a reboot, I envision a slow rebuilding, almost along the lines of "Supreme Power" (but not *that* slow), where the various Legionnaires are seen as motivators of their own individual stories who eventually come together.

Waid: "But every story, every single story - whether it’s the “A” plot, the “B” subplot, or the “C” sub-subplot--must always be about one or more Legionnaires and how what’s happening for the next 30 or 60 or 90 pages is affecting them."

That's good news. It's the biggest gripe i've had with DnA the last few storyarcs. Not only good to hear that there'll be a bigger concentration on characterization, but that there will be a "B" subplot and "C" sub-subplot! (is that a hint we'll be seeing the "Subs" again??)

There are some things the get excited about, some things to be apprehensive about, but ultimately it'll depend on how they handle the characters, imo (and if they put WILDFIRE in the lineup!) and we won't know that until the book hits the stands. There wasn't anything that Waid or Kitson said that I immeditately object to. I like the idea of them redesigning the 31st century -- that could be cool.

#30013 05/26/04 07:55 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Why, damn it, why?
I know I'm going to kick myself for this, but I guess it has to be done. Note this is meant as my opinion so take with a grain or a bushel of salt.

Why oh why do many of us fans have to b***h about a good thing? We have the Legion back and we whine over vague little details. Would it hurt the fandom to at least show a little optimism?

A Chaotic Neutral stuck in a Lawful Good world
#30014 05/26/04 08:02 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by M'onel:
Why oh why do many of us fans have to b***h about a good thing? We have the Legion back and we whine over vague little details. Would it hurt the fandom to at least show a little optimism?
I'd say the whole premise of the series and the basis of the characters is slightly more than "vague little details"

I DON'T think this is a good thing.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#30015 05/26/04 08:07 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That was pretty vague, really - I don't have much idea how a "movement" will function as opposed to a group. We don't even know who will really be on the team, or in the movement, or whatever. Just that there will be character focus (good!), 30 pages (good - but probably a price hike!), it will be set in the future and there will be bad guys. Brainiac 5 will be around, but what will he be like? Maybe he will be a she! Or a sentient cloud!

I'm glad & relieved the series is continuing. At least the anticipation and speculation should be fun!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#30016 05/26/04 08:11 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Sanity or Madness?:
I'd say the whole premise of the series and the basis of the characters is slightly more than "vague little details"
Touche, I'll admit I made a mistake in proclaiming that.

I have one question: Will you pick up the book?

A Chaotic Neutral stuck in a Lawful Good world
#30017 05/26/04 08:16 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by M'onel:
I have one question: Will you pick up the book?
Honestly? Probably not. I don't want to reward them for screwing everything over.

#30018 05/26/04 08:25 AM
Active
Active
I agree with SorM and Invisible Bainiac: WHY?? Why another complete-rebbot? I agree the Legion could use a revamp to freshen the concept up a little, but another frickin reboot?? This is most likely the end of the Legion.
I just don't think they can survive another start from scratch, even if its good.
I really hope I'm wrong. If Waid's relaunch is a smashing success I'll be the first to joyfully put my foot in my mouth.

And if anyone can pull it off its Waid. He has a lot on his shoulders this time. Cause if this flops, the legion will drift away to comic book limbo.

#30019 05/26/04 08:27 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
So the Legion is now going to be the Manson Family of Space except instead of killing people they save them?

We all know what happened when L.E.G.I.O.N. became R.E.B.E.L.S.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#30020 05/26/04 08:28 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
This is obviously a throw back to the glory days of Legion on the Run!

#30021 05/26/04 08:51 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I would hate to see the menace so bad that the LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES will need the added help of... ummm... Cyborg and Kid Flash wink

Of course, that's Cyborg and Kid Flash, plus flight rings...

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#30022 05/26/04 08:54 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Hope someone remembers that Bart should still have the flight ring Brainy gave him... right???

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#30023 05/26/04 09:01 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Pov:
Hope someone remembers that Bart should still have the flight ring Brainy gave him... right???
I'm sure it was telepathic earplugs, not a flight ring.

#30024 05/26/04 09:09 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Aah, THAT's it... "Give me a think sometime..." smile

It was Kon who had a flight ring, and Cos took it back after Team 20 caught him giving to his girl Roxie in his title...

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#30025 05/26/04 10:10 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Do they actually say that this is a true reboot anywhere in that interview? The feeling I got is that they are just using the current continuity in a new title; a different approach to many things, I assume, but the current continuity nevertheless. I guess I think that because of Kon-el's heavy involvement in the Titans storyline, it fits with current continuity, and it really would mean bending over backwards in any true reboot.

So, are they trimming membership? Did I understand that correctly? They do speak about only ca. 20 Legionnaires... We know Brainy is in. Who else?

Actually, I'm excited about this, this "movement" idea sounds fun. A focus on characterization also sounds very, very good. And I love the fact that Levitz was directly involved in the planning, I'm sure he's had some ideas over the years since he hasn't been writing that he could pass over to the new writer... Regarding Kitson's art, I really liked him in L.E.G.I.O.N. (I don't think I have read anything more recent by him).

All in all, I think I am, at least for the moment, a happy camper.

Juan

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,265
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Lightning Lad
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
CreativityKid
CreativityKid
Pawtucket, RI
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star