Roll Call
1 members (razsolo, razsolo), 10 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/19/24 05:33 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:54 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:54 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by razsolo - 05/19/24 02:30 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Legion's Always There for You
#696595 07/09/07 04:39 PM
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
So, this morning at 5 AM my son woke up saying he couldn't breathe. That phrase warrants an immediate trip to the ER. Luckily, I live 5 minutes from a snazzy new children's emergency room.

The ER was so snazzy it had TVs in the exam rooms and we turned on Nickelodeon. Showing was "Fairly Oddparents" (a series about a neglected only child Timmy Turner and his fairy godparents Cosmo and Wanda).

In this episode, Timmy wishes the world was like his favorite comic book "The Crimson Chin", a "Tick" spoof voiced by Jay Leno, of course (what's a spoof of a spoof called?), and *poof* Cosmo and Wanda make it happen.

Now, all of Timmy's friends are superheroes, and some of them are Legion homages! The kid with braces is now Matter-Muncher Lad (great name!), and the pimply kid is Bouncy Boil! My son picked up on the Legion spoof right away, and we both enjoyed the show immensely. Has anyone else seen this episode? Here's a link to the description:

"The Big Super Hero Wish"

Turns out my son has the croup (as I expected), a viral infection of the vocal cords that constricts the airway. A dose of oral prednisone reduced the swelling. He's doing better (he's had this before).

I'm psyched that at a difficult moment, the Legion was there to cheer us up. Anyone else have inspirational stories of how the Legion got you through a tough time?

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
Re: The Legion's Always There for You
#696596 07/09/07 04:56 PM
Active
Active
No inspirational story, but I do know which episode you're talking about. I've caught Fairly Oddparents numerous times and they do have a lot of comic spoofs and homages mixed in (like Catman, voiced by Adam West).

Long Live the Legion!
#696597 07/09/07 04:57 PM
Active
Active
Glad to hear your son is ok.

Long Live the Legion!
#696598 07/09/07 06:49 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Nice story, doublechinner. I'm also glad that your son is okay.

This story reminds me of my second encounter with the Legion, under somewhat similar circumstances. When I was nine, I picked up LSH v. 1, # 1 ("The Lad Who Wrecked the Legion") at a local supermarket and was immediately enthralled by it. But I had no idea that comics were published as serials, so I thought that this issue was all there was of the Legion.

Two months later, as I lay in bed with the flu, my mother brought home a few comics to keep me company. To my delight, one was LSH # 2 ("The War Between Krypton and Earth") -- a fantastic story that featured not only the Legion, but dinosaurs and Atlantis, as well!

From that point on, I actively scoured the racks of the 7-11's all over town for further Legion issues. Somehow, I missed # 3, but I did catch # 4 (the second half of the Computo story), which was also the last issue of that reprint series. When next I encountered the Legion, it was the Bates/Cockrum version in SUPERBOY # 197. My life was never the same afterwards.

In the following years, my mother would complain as comics increased in price (going from 20 cents to 25, 30, and then a whopping 35 cents), while waiting for me to outgrow them. I don't think she ever realized her sweet role in furthering my obsession.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#696599 07/10/07 08:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Heh. Poor Moms today, shelling out 3 BUCKS each for comics...

Our Moms/Grandmoms had it SO lucky, they don't even know!

Glad everything's kewl, DC. Your boy is going to be SUCH a fanboy! Maybe when I'm an old peepaw I'll "meet" him on a space-LSH MB of the future!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#696600 07/10/07 09:18 PM
Leader
Leader
Glad your son's OK, DC. Here's my story (I think I've shared it before, but there are plenty of new folks): How the Legion Saved Christmas

After introducing me to the Legion in the SLSH 240s, my uncle would let me read his old Legion comics (Adventures, Actions, etc.). A week or two before Christmas, we were at my aunt and uncle's house. I usually read them in his comic book room in the basement, but the adults decided they wanted to come down and play darts, so I headed upstairs to read in peace (no cousins to play with at this point).

So I was sitting on the floor behind the couch (don't know why I wasn't on the couch) when I heard a strange noise. I peeked over and saw one of the wood candlesticks on the mantle had caught fire. I shouted, "Fire! Fire!" and everyone came rushing up. They were able to put it out before the fire had a chance to jump into the Christmas tree right next to the fireplace.

It's scary to think about what could have happened if I hadn't been up there reading the Legion.

#696601 07/10/07 10:08 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Glad your son's okay!

I've watched Fairly Oddparents with my kids a number of times, and noted the same episode you mentioned here . That's an awesome episode!! There's no way the writers weren't homaging the Legion!!!

As for the Legion changing my life, I'd have to go with Imra's disco pink bikini "uniform" having a profound effect on my youth...

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#696602 07/11/07 04:22 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Heh. Poor Moms today, shelling out [b]3 BUCKS each for comics...

Our Moms/Grandmoms had it SO lucky, they don't even know!

Glad everything's kewl, DC. Your boy is going to be SUCH a fanboy! Maybe when I'm an old peepaw I'll "meet" him on a space-LSH MB of the future![/b]
$8 - $9 minimum over here. WEAK.
But yes..Well wishes smile

Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.
#696603 07/11/07 08:02 AM
World's Oldest Boomerang Kid
World's Oldest Boomerang Kid
Good to hear the lad's better. I suppose there's no way to blame it on Infectious Lass... laugh

If your klordny lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical attention.
#696604 07/11/07 01:29 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Originally posted by Omni Craig:

As for the Legion changing my life, I'd have to go with Imra's disco pink bikini "uniform" having a profound effect on my youth...
Me too, but in a different way wink

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,457
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star