Roll Call
1 members (Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker), 118 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/28/24 08:39 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:30 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:28 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:26 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 11:11 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Adventure Comics Saturn Girl and Mental Image Projection
#34158 03/03/10 08:46 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
In Adventure Comics I believe Saturn Girl was capable of using her telepathy to create an image within a persons mind; similar to an illusion. Can anyone give me a specific example and where to find it? How would this early version of Saturn Girl differed from Princess Projectra?

I'd assume she was only able to affect one person. How about adding other senses such as hearing, smell, taste or touch, any instances of these being included? What were (if any) the limitations she seemed to have? I doubt if the writers gave any serious thought to it but I'd like to.

I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.
Re: Adventure Comics Saturn Girl and Mental Image Projection
#34159 03/03/10 10:16 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Comics (Marvel and DC) have expanded 'telepathy' to go from simple mind-reading and thought projection to being able to control minds, alter memories or cause a person to hallucinate (or not see the telepath, if she wants to remain unseen, causing them to ignore her).

Saturn Girl has been shown mind controlling people, telepathically forcing people to pass out (even knocking out a Universo-controlled Mon-El and Ultra Boy at one point), etc.

I can't think of a specific instance where she did the illusion-thing (other than the cartoon), but it would make sense the writers would avoid having her do it too much when Projectra is on the team.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#34160 03/03/10 10:27 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
The idea of her being able to do this entered my mind because I thought I had read it somewhere (like in the Wiki or some other site). I'm trying to write up a power effect description for this because I'm almost certain somewhere in the comics it was allowed. Without having a specific example or two to fall back on I'm trying to limit it because the game needs Projectra to be able to out do this sort of thing hands down.

My starting thought was this:
"The telepath is able to create a vivid image within the target’s mind. The image cannot be visualized by anyone other than the target and may only affect an individual who’s Psyche score is less than the character’s power effect category.

The character determines the image presented before the target’s mind. Images in which the target is more familiar with are easier to perceive as real to the target’s brain. Such images are far more detailed and realistic to the target because they can identify so greatly with it. Presenting an image in which the target is somewhat unfamiliar with becomes more difficult as their brain does not perceive the necessary details in order to believe it is real. An image in which the caster would be completely unfamiliar with would fail since their brain has no point of reference in which to work with."

#34161 03/03/10 10:29 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Reboot Imra created a long lasting illusion of Apparition in Legion Lost.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#34162 03/03/10 10:34 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Jerry:
Anyone have any approx. idea what issue? Anything in Adventure Comics that we know of?

#34163 03/03/10 10:51 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm not remembering anything from the Adventure era. In the Legion Lost mini series it was a major subplot throughout the first eight issues or so. Saturn Girl was the leader at the time. She feared that she didn't have what it took to keep the team members from losing their minds in such trying conditions - particularly Ultra Boy. She knew that Tinya was a friend to everyone and could keep the morale of the team up. She made the lost Legionnaire's believe that Tinya was with them.

Alternately, the reboot Sensor's illusion casting power was credited to a form of telepathy.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#34164 03/03/10 11:05 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
I'm not remembering anything from the Adventure era. In the Legion Lost mini series it was a major subplot throughout the first eight issues or so. Saturn Girl was the leader at the time. She feared that she didn't have what it took to keep the team members from losing their minds in such trying conditions - particularly Ultra Boy. She knew that Tinya was a friend to everyone and could keep the morale of the team up. She made the lost Legionnaire's believe that Tinya was with them.

Alternately, the reboot Sensor's illusion casting power was credited to a form of telepathy.
Ok Jerry & Set, maybe I imagined it all, or worse maybe Saturn Girl placed the thought in my head to confuse me.

#34165 03/04/10 02:03 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Phantom Girl:
In Adventure Comics I believe Saturn Girl was capable of using her telepathy to create an image within a persons mind; similar to an illusion. Can anyone give me a specific example and where to find it? How would this early version of Saturn Girl differed from Princess Projectra?

I'd assume she was only able to affect one person. How about adding other senses such as hearing, smell, taste or touch, any instances of these being included? What were (if any) the limitations she seemed to have? I doubt if the writers gave any serious thought to it but I'd like to.
Adventure #334 "The Unknown Legionnaire." Saturn Girl projects the image of a monster to a pair of Proteans disguised as SPs--she remarks that the trick would not work on a non-telepath...

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#34166 03/04/10 06:07 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
I knew there was something! Thank You very very much! I no longer feel stupid.

#34167 03/13/10 03:39 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I believe Saturn Queen uses an illusion power to trick Dynamo Boy into thinking the Legionnaires are dead.

#34168 03/13/10 08:05 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Animated SG could also create illusions. When she enhanced her powers via a mental link with Brainy (who was part-machine in that 'verse) she could project illusions into the "mind" of the Sun-Eater as well.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,980
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
BouncingBear
BouncingBear
San Francisco
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star