Roll Call
1 members (Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker), 118 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/28/24 08:39 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:30 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:28 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:26 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 11:11 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Legion Lost #16 - Final Issue
Invisible Brainiac #761877 01/17/13 01:21 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Gates DID have some very good character development in the Postboot, particularly in his interactions with Brainiac 5.

What little I saw before this series was 'did I mention that I'm a communist and hate you all?' over and over and over again. It felt more like a curmudgeonly caricature than a fully fleshed out character, since he almost always went for the grumpy negative comments, which, for me at least, made him kind of unlikable.

And so, I was hoping for some decent character development here, with Gates now temporarily stuck on a world that does have a few communist societies, and where his political views aren't necessarily considered a whacky aberration / punchline by the UP 'world government.' Instead, I literally have no idea if Gates is even aware that communism exists on Earth, after he's been in this century for as long as a year and a half.

Instead, I get him arguing with himself about whether it's okay to abandon the team, and while I do understand that he was drafted unwillingly into another Legion, and may not have started out the wide-eyed 'I want to be a superhero!' type as some of those who showed up for Legion tryouts in other continuities, I kind of thought, that, at some point, he had
graduated past 'I hate you and the teenaged death-squad your rode in on' and become a willing super-hero.

I don't blame Gates for that, btw. I totally blame Tom deFalco for wanting to impress upon the readers how uber-scary his big machine was by having Gates freak out and be all terrified.

I'm clearly no Gates expert, but IMO, he earned his place back in the Reboot, and the way he's been portrayed in the last year has been an unsympathetic regression for the character.

It's also my opinion that Fabian Nicieza had a very different plan in mind for where Gates was held for the time he was presumed dead, and for how he got the messed-up face. DeFalco's been calling it 'scars,' but it's pretty darn obviously not 'scars,' it's something very much more like what that virus was doing to everyone at the beginning of the series. The question of why only half of Gates' face was changed remains, and it could be inferred that whoever was holding him was using him to test a potential *cure* (or perhaps just charting the progression of the virus by watching how it affected Gates, but that seems less likely since they had no shortage of infected humans to observe).

Anywho, my opinion stands. Gates, IMO, like Wildfire and Dawnstar, was a character that could very much have benefitted from more character development and I'm disappointed that he didn't get it.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Leather Wolf #761880 01/17/13 02:15 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I haven't read that much of Legion Lost, but Gates this issue didn't read much like the Gates of the reboot at all.

Leather Wolf #761881 01/17/13 02:20 PM
S
Active
Active
S
I suppose it's possible they were left in the present for Giffen to use them in Threshold?

Last edited by stuorstew; 01/17/13 02:20 PM.
Leather Wolf #761882 01/17/13 02:27 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
^^Not a bad theory.

I'm guessing it is a more a matter of someone having some plans for them in the present than Levitz not wanting them.

Leather Wolf #761884 01/17/13 03:53 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Well, that was underwhelming... a bit like the 15 previous issues, really. Now let's get back our characters in their century to play with the rest of the team.

Ze Frainch Legion fan
Reboot #761886 01/17/13 04:25 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Originally Posted by Reboot
Originally Posted by Set
Gates, I knew the least about, and this could have been a great chance to get him away from his joke beginnngs (let's make a little nonhuman teleporter with a red and dark blue color-scheme, but, to make him not an *obvious* Nightcrawler riff, let's give him Colossus' politics instead!) and develop him as a character in his own right.

Uh... What?

Firstly, yeah he started as a one-shot joke, one of a pair Cham & Leviathan failed to recruit, but (a) he didn't wear red there [I really don't see your forced Nightcrawler link. Or Colossus either, who was too busy being the big, dumb, naive idiot to show any sign of politics outside the one time he was brainwashed] and (b) after the fan reaction got them to bring him back (after Waid was gone), he *was* treated as a proper character!

Your "not having actually read any comics with him in" is
showing.

Actually, in his debut appearance, Piotr asked Professor X if the former's mutant powers didn't by right belong to "The State"?

The time he dressed up to sneak into The Hellfire Club, he thought to himself that "It is wrong to wear clothes that cost more than my father makes in a year."

There may have been more moments like that, but those are two that spring to mind for me.

FTR, I actually like Gates, despite only having seen him here and there.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Leather Wolf #761887 01/17/13 04:27 PM
Getting back on track now: please, nobody ever ask me if want characters I like to be dumped into Comic Book Purgatory forever, or would I prefer to have them senselessly killed off at series end?

sigh

It's like asking if I want an arm broken or an arm AND a leg broken.

shake

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Leather Wolf #761893 01/17/13 05:32 PM
Active
Active
Hopefully Levitz will bring the lost home soon Brainy and Glorith may be moving in that direction. Ideally, I would like all the Yera as spy and Tyroc prophecy be written off as Harvest brainwashing rather than truth.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
Leather Wolf #761895 01/17/13 08:45 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Now that I've finally been to the comic shop and gotten to read it, I'm about as underwhelmed as I'd expected.

The Gates time travel loop was handled deftly, if nothing else, and a random bad-guy shooting Wildfire a new containment suit sort of wraps that subplot up in a shiny bow.

The whole 'Adym is Harvest' reveal didn't do much for me, since I didn't care one bit about Adym *or* Harvest.

Were I a big fan of the Ravagers or this new version of Superboy, I'd be pissed that they got so little play, or, in SB's case, were treated like chumps.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
stuorstew #761900 01/17/13 11:19 PM
J
Substitute
Substitute
J
This issue sort-of epitomizes the series in the way--not bad in a storytelling sense, but a LOT of missing potential.

Originally Posted by stuorstew
I suppose it's possible they were left in the present for Giffen to use them in Threshold?

I thought that maybe DeFalco would reutilize them again in Superboy (perhaps a slight retweak of "Superboy and the Lost Legion of Superheroes?"), but I would like that a lot better.

Leather Wolf #761905 01/18/13 04:32 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Threshold is a likely place for them, if they're going anywhere, although that book already sounds pretty crowded.

The thing I'm wondering is, everyone in the 31st century has concluded they're dead and gone - so no historical record whatsoever remained of their time in the 21st century? I guess it's the old "everything was destroyed in World Wars III-VI", except the Superman Museum stuff.

If Wildfire is just energy, won't he eventually catch up to the future and tell them what happened? Will there be two Wildfires just like we had two Gates for a moment?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #761917 01/18/13 01:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer

If Wildfire is just energy, won't he eventually catch up to the future and tell them what happened? Will there be two Wildfires just like we had two Gates for a moment?

You know I like that idea. Sort of Mon El 'ish' in that as energy he is unable to interact with people so if he lost his containment suit he could be in a personal version of the Phantom Zone.

But would his disembodied energy survive that long or would entropy cause him to slowly dissipate. (unless of course he trans morphs into the Time Trapper, driven mad by his desire to return to the 31st Century) evil

Faithfull
Set #762045 01/20/13 10:30 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Set

And so, I was hoping for some decent character development here, with Gates now temporarily stuck on a world that does have a few communist societies, and where his political views aren't necessarily considered a whacky aberration / punchline by the UP 'world government.' Instead, I literally have no idea if Gates is even aware that communism exists on Earth, after he's been in this century for as long as a year and a half.

They should totally have followed up on Gates' joke a while back and had an issue with him visiting Kyrgyzstan.

One good thing about this series was that it made me like Tyroc, Timber Wolf, Yera and Tellus quite a bit more. Enough to care about how little was actually done with them, and how much more could have been done.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 01/20/13 10:32 AM.
Leather Wolf #762055 01/20/13 12:29 PM
K
Leader
Leader
K
Which begs a couple of questions which have never been seriously addressed:

(1) If you found yourself a thousand years in the past, would you (a) try like mad to get back to the future or (b) accept your situation and try to carve out a life for yourself?

(2) Given 1a or 1b, where would you go? The answer might differ for the different Legionnaires.

Tyroc can physically blend in. Wildfire, if he wants to get back to the future, may just need to wait. Wildfire and Dawnstar are capable of unassisted faster-than-light flight through space. Tyroc and Gates can teleport; Gates at least, up to interplanetary distances. Tyroc may be able to travel to 21st= century Marzal. Timber Wolf can sort of fit in human society; also, he has friends in Gorilla City. Tellus is the most alien, but can project telepathic illusions.

As for me, I would immediately head for Shadowcrest in San Francisco.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Leather Wolf #762408 01/26/13 11:51 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
They keep turning Brin into KK. He's been to the 20th/21st century now almost as much as original superboy. Wolf and the newbies (yeah, I've been around long enough to consider everyone after Brin a newbie) deserve more than being shunted off into limbo so we can get an entirely new bunch of newbies. Hey, why not use the cast from S&TLSH from around 200 to 250 again? This seemed to be the most stable time in the legion.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Leather Wolf #762414 01/26/13 01:45 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
The problem with the Legion Lost team being left "lost" is that that team contains some of the most "alien" members of the team: Tellus, Gates, Yera, Dawnstar and Wildfire. The Legionnaires on the main title are mostly humanoid looking. We need these characters back just to bring back alien diversity to the Legion.

Leather Wolf #762775 01/29/13 01:21 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It wasn't #50 bad, but it wasn't good. Legion Lost, focusing on those seven characters, and the last issue seemed to focus on everyone BUT the seven.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Leather Wolf #763601 02/11/13 05:30 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I find it interesting that in LSH #16 they show part of the Memorial Hall with statues of the Lost members. Apparently, the 31st century Legion has already given up on them. Also with the reveal of more info on Harmonia and her immortality, you'd think she may have some real-time news about the Lost team.

I enjoyed the first half of the series, but the change in storyline and the introduction of Superboy and the Ravangers really brought the book down into a pathetic attempt of a cross-title story sales pitch on the part of DC. The momentum of the Legion characters was cut short to a screeching halt and it never recovered. I doubt the other titles benefited much either.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
Leather Wolf #763603 02/11/13 06:04 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It's not certain that Harmonia was on Earth in the 21st century, so she may have been unaware of any superhero activity there.

I reread Legion Lost (up to #12) yesterday and agree entirely that the series broke down with the Ravagers introduction. There were just too many characters splitting the attention and Harvest, while threatening, got boring fast. I never bothered getting the Titans and Superboy tie-ins, but, as you suggest, I doubt those titles were improved by the addition of the Lost team.

Up until that point, it was quite a good story, with the distinct personalities of the Legionnaires, the effects of the virus. If they'd kept it to that storyline, then thrown in Yera's subterfuge, with a specific end in sight (i.e. Lost team goes home), it would have been enough for me.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,980
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
BouncingBear
BouncingBear
San Francisco