Roll Call
0 members (), 43 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 11:36 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes #19 (Review) Spoliers
Dave Hackett #768513 04/18/13 09:22 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Yeah, this book is beyond a train wreck. DC should just cancel it already. No. It seems they have to rub our noses in it first. It's amazing how the powers that be just piss on every one of their properties. I hate to say it but, Make Mine Marvel!!!

Dave Hackett #768522 04/19/13 04:18 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I got around to reading this, and it's beyond horrible.

This crazy Emerald Empress woman, who I hope is not supposed to be Sarya, apparently is *obsessed* with death (what is she, a reverse-gendered clone of Dan Didio?), and perches precariously on the Eye like a clown, and speaks in that hokey 'Eye this' and 'Eye that' speak, and is apparently able to shoot energy blasts from her hands (something that the Eye generally does) and survive hand to hand combat with Mon-El (hah!) and, best of all, *carries a ****ing knife.*

'Cause nothing sells 'Emerald Empress' like a freak so stupid that she thinks she can kill Mon-El with a knife.

What's next, is Validus going to pull out a teensy little handgun, to show us how dangerous he is?

Ooh, ooh, it's Mordru! And to show you how badass he is, he's got a board with a nail in it! Whatever will the Legion do?

And the less said about the treatment of Tinya in this issue, the better.

Congrats, cover artist 'J.J. Kirby,' you can join 'Justin Thyme' among the ranks of writers and artists who have been so ashamed of a Legion book they've worked on that they don't want their name associated with it.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Set #768530 04/19/13 07:36 AM
#deleteFacebook
Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook
Originally Posted by Set
Congrats, cover artist 'J.J. Kirby,' you can join 'Justin Thyme' among the ranks of writers and artists who have been so ashamed of a Legion book they've worked on that they don't want their name associated with it.

Huh?

http://jjkirby.deviantart.com/

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Dave Hackett #768531 04/19/13 07:39 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Knife? Sounds like they're borrowing heavily from the reboot version of the Empress to me (including the annoying "Eye did it!" speech quirk).

Reboot #768532 04/19/13 07:47 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Reboot
Originally Posted by Set

Huh?

http://jjkirby.deviantart.com/

Ha, my bad. The review at scifipulse gave me the impression that this artist 'he'd never heard of' was a made up name, and not someone that he'd just never bothered to Google.

ultrajo #768534 04/19/13 08:23 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
As a (very) long-term Legion reader, I've been with the gang through some good times and some bad.

I thought that the three-boot was the worst.... I was wrong. This is awful beyond measure. The story is contrived and the art sucks.

I realize that, as bad as it is, Didio and Levitz are doing all of this to retool the Legion to make it more Justice League-like.

Anticipating that such an absurd idea will be as big a mess as I think that it will, can I please sign whatever petition is out there to give the Legion the mercy-killing that it deserves until a better management comes along?

Dave Hackett #768548 04/19/13 11:27 AM
Substitute
Substitute
"Train Wreck" is an excellent description for this book. Typical Levitz (of late) plot. Legion chases villians around the galaxy...alwyas one step behind..no creativity (or even cognitive thought) in use of Legioniare powers...plot drags on with more chasing and then everything is wrapped up abruptly with big explosion. What's worse this time around is that it is so painfully obvious that this is editorially driven and that they just need a warm body with a dull pencil to do the art snores.

Justin Tyme for cancellation indeed

Dave Hackett #768553 04/19/13 01:03 PM
Honorary
Honorary
So why don't they just do a full on reboot and be done with it. It seems kind of redundant to bring this particular version of the characters back, get us invested back into OUR Legion and then methodically kill them off, change them, generally F**K them up and then (rumoured) turn them into the Justice Legion.....This just proves that you really NEVER can go home again.....I give up....DC you have destroyed the Legion and after numerous restarts, false starts, and crappy stories, I quit!!!!

The Legion is Back!!! All Three of Them....How Sprocking Magnificent!!!
The Man From Cargg #768619 04/19/13 10:23 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
Originally Posted by The Man From Cargg
Ugh... can't bear to look at this "ride 'em" cowboy version of the Empress perched atop the Eye dressed like the guard to the Emerald City of Oz.

The images totally reminded me of a female "Green/Emerald Goblin". Where's Spidey?

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
Dave Hackett #768622 04/19/13 11:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The image reminded me of one of the Female Furies, and after a bit of research I discovered that she looks a lot like Mad Harriet. With the allusions to Fourth World interference in previous issues, is it possible that Emerald Empress got an Apokolipian upgrade?

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Dave Hackett #768623 04/20/13 02:22 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yeeesh. I am SO glad Giffen apparently had a hissyfit over what was happening and left in a snit. He does NOT need his name all over this mess. And as a final kick to his metaphorical shins, they do not even use his cover!!

I'm not as hardcore against the art as some of you. I will state that I responded more positively to Johnson's section.

As for the storyline... well, it's almost laughable to me at this point. Maybe Blocks was right that this is gonna be straight-out comedy?? Whatever person was playing the role of the Empress-- her dialogue (KILL DEATH DEYE MURDER DESTRUCTION) was a chore to get through. And was that Janeane Garofalo playing the part of Tinya? Because that shizz was hysterical of space.

I'm not sure what to think at this point. It all seems kind of ridiculous and pointless, really...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Dave Hackett #768625 04/20/13 02:39 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
PS/ Apparently they don't make Daxamites like they used to.

I mean, I'll buy that the Empress could give him a semi-decent struggle... FOR ABOUT TWO MINUTES BEFORE HE OBLITERATED HER.

Using my mightly brainpower, I can't think of ANY Empress in the past fighting Lar... I'm sorry, I just don't buy her doing what she did here. I do buy her wiping out just about any other Legionnaire except for Element Lad or Chemical Kid-- if he knew what the frag he was doing-- though.

*weary sigh* I might have to pull a Giffen and bail.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Dave Hackett #768631 04/20/13 04:40 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Once upon a time, Mon-el's reaction to being blasted by the Emerald Eye was a terse "It tickles !"

MLLASH has it correct. This is pathetic character abuse on the part of Mr.Levitz.

Dave Hackett #768671 04/20/13 01:44 PM
Active
Active
I don't like this Mad Harriet version of The Emerald Empress.
This version is even worse than the psychopath of the reboot.
She is not Sarya, if she realy is... maybe after they were changing the brain into that of a baboon in Apokolis..
I am very tired of all the Kyrby stuff in Legion Of Super-Heroes..it's simply bored...
And Mon-El fight Sarya in Superboy 231. He slaps the eye and her owner with one single hand.
Tinya only fails all the time moaning ..I want my Ultra Boy!
The art... horrible the Scott Kolins part, a little better the Jeff Johnson part, and cover Ugly ugly.
Not good at all I believe that this for coming issues...
I am afraid that Mysa and Blok are going to be in serious danger.

From UK with glamour.
Dave Hackett #768719 04/20/13 08:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Let's call Comic Protective Services to remove the Legion from its abusive guardians.

We can be foster parents until a permanent loving home is available.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Dave Hackett #768733 04/20/13 09:35 PM
C
Wanderer
Online Content
Wanderer
C
Just for kicks, I went back and read the Legion books dating back to issue # 0. Here's what I come up with:

1) Tharok is not the boss here. Someone "stole the Tharok chip" in order to re-activate him to in turn re-form the Fatal Five. Could that be the missing fifth member? Could Mano really be the big, behind-the-scenes, bad guy?
2) In one image where the Legionnaires are looking at the "Fatal Five," all we see are the four members we're already aware of. Do even the Legion not know who's # 5?
3) My impression of non-movement in the past three issues remains the same. However, if plot advancement is going to happen, it will probably come from Chameleon Boy's team.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
Dave Hackett #768738 04/20/13 10:22 PM
Honorary
Honorary
I would have to agree that things are not what they seem. Universo?

Last edited by Color Kid; 04/20/13 10:23 PM.
Dave Hackett #768740 04/20/13 10:35 PM
MYG Offline
Active
Active
How on God's earth is Levitz allowing this garbage to go to publication?!? The art and story are rushed just to get "something" on the stands on time. I would rather extremely late releases with quality stories and art than what's currently being put out. Now I'll never drop the book in 1000 years because I've been a die heart LSH fan since 1980, but I am deeply disappointed with what is being pushed out in the guise of what is supposed to be the Legion of Superheroes!!!

Long Live the Legion!!!
Color Kid #768748 04/21/13 02:34 AM
S
Active
Active
S
Originally Posted by Color Kid

Considering they are going to Sorcerers World I currently believe the 'Big Bad' is actually Mordru and it will make as much sense as his appearance in Earth War.

Dave Hackett #768750 04/21/13 03:07 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I have given up hope of any sort of 'on purpose' writing solution to this.

Dave Hackett #768753 04/21/13 04:20 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I dread the Validus on Sorcerer's World tale to come.

If the White Witch, or the Black Witch, resort to throwing magical zaps at Validus, a tactic almost guaranteed to fail (and the sort of tactic Mysa never used), it will continue the theme of Legionnaires being utterly helpless victims and generally forgetting how their powers work (like Mon-El vs. Emerald Death-Junkie in this last issue).

Even White Witch Mysa was capable of transmutation, and long-range teleportation. Turning Validus into a kitten, or teleporting him into deep space or onto a deserted asteroid in a barren system, would take him out of the fight *instantly,* and be the kind of stuff she could have done *before* absorbing the power of Mordru, a bunch of other spellcasters, *and* an entire other universe.

But no. At the current level of writing suckitude, I imagine Blok is going to get pounded to rubble and Mysa's going to lose control drawing on too much dark magic in an attempt to blast Validus to death with magic zappy-beams or some nonsense.

Even Blok could possibly deal temporarily with Validus. Doesn't matter if Validus has kryptonian-level (or greater!) strength, the dude can't fly, and probably weigh more than ten tons. Blok should *easily* be able to throw him into orbit, which should keep him busy for a few weeks, as he futilely waves his arms attempting to paddle his way through space...

This attempt to create drama by having the good guys like Mon-El or Phantom Girl be idiots is just terrible writing, IMO.

If editorial has mandated that the Legion be trimmed down to a seven man 'Justice Legion,' and that half of them be new characters like Harmonia Li and Chemical Kid, then I'd much prefer that the 'old Legion' be shunted off-screen in a more heroic manner that has an organic way to bring them back, such as leaping through a faltering Boom Tube to end the threat of Darkseid by taking the fight to Apokalips, or entering an altered timeline created by the Time Trapper and collapsing it from within making them seem to vanish from time and space taking the Time Trapper and his horrible future with them, like the old 'let's write out the Justice Society by having them go off to fight Ragnarok' McGuffin.

Dave Hackett #768760 04/21/13 09:25 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
If his powers were utilized intelligently, do you know which Legion Reject could have taken down the entire Fatal Five all by himself?

“I am Animal Lad! I can turn humans into beasts… or make wild animals tame!”
“Animal Lad…can’t be tempted into crime…”

(Adventure #331)

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Dave Hackett #768765 04/21/13 11:49 AM
And then there was steak!
And then there was steak!
As bad as I think the next issue is going to be, i'm still vaguely happy that Portela is going to be the one penciling it. Isn't he? He'll at least make the Black Witch LOOK cool. At least the pointless nonsense will be pretty to look at! At least, if they keep it, what we've seen of the cover is already good looking.

Otherwise, i'm really not looking forward to this whole Justice Legion thing they're setting up. It's going to drive me from the Legion again, and that's a really sad thing.

*sad sad sad*

Dave Hackett #768775 04/21/13 01:52 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
If Animal Lad showed up and saved or helped save the day against the Fatal Five, I'd be a lot happier. Wouldn't make up for the awfulness of Sun Boy's fate or the crappiness of Tinya's portrayal, though.

I'm on the fence regarding the new Emerald Empress-- yeah, her dialogue's incredibly clichéd, but I like the fact that she uses the Eye's energy in a different way (or the Eye uses her using it's energy in a different way...). Her perched on the Eye like a Green Goblin while wearing Hela-like Kirby costume details was kind of fun. She's definitely not the regal and focused Sarya. She's someone new. If we don't know anything else about her by the end of the storyline, *then* I'll feel let down. Till then, she's a mystery. One among many, but at least hers is one that contains a certain level of storytelling sense.

Unlike Mon-el's injury. Hmmm-- maybe the Eye's hostess is part Daxamite? Nothing can really explain why this time EE's energy affected Lar where it never did before. The Luck Lord's are with the Fatal Five?

I haven't seen anything except rumor regarding the Justice League-ization of the Legion, but even if its true, isn't it possible that its just for a storyline?

I don't want the book to be canceled. What I'd like to see is characters from the different versions brought together to face threats in each of their home realities, as well as new ones. Make the tapestry bigger, instead of smaller and more familiar. Capitilize on what the Legion's strengths are, instead of grafting other title's strengths onto the LSH. If that's what DC has in mind.

Color Kid #768843 04/22/13 02:16 AM
Applicant
Applicant
Originally Posted by Color Kid

The way this book is going, it'll be Archmage.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,257
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden