Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 42 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:57 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/08/24 07:13 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Serious question: How do I find movies to watch?
#770427 05/07/13 05:57 PM
T
Active
OP Offline
Active
T
I'm not asking for specific recommendations. I'm asking for procedural advice.

I haven't watched a Western live-action movie or TV series in years. Past couple years, it's been anime backstopped by Western animation and J-drama. The couple years before that, pretty much no video entertainment of any kind.

I was asked, "Why not?" There were and are reasons, but to get to the point, I could watch OEL (actually, I suppose foreign films from places other than East Asia count for the purpose of this question...) movies. The problem is, it's not like I've been waiting to. I don't have a long list of movies I plan to see. And because I've been out of it for years, I don't know what my preferences are anymore. I haven't articulated, either in specifics or generalities, what I'm looking for. What are my goals? Am I looking for the same things I'm looking for in what I currently watch, or to get what I'm not already getting? (What am I looking for in anime? I can't always answer that.)

With anime, there are websites that (attempt to) list every anime ever made. And said list is, while too large to actually watch, just feasible to browse, at least enough to find a number of potentially interesting series quickly.

This reminds me of something I knew earlier. I knew some sites for SF book reviews. None of them approached (or attempted) completeness, but they still were useful. I knew of no equivalent for general fiction. Assuming there was one, it wouldn't be possible to use it in the same way, because it'd be too large to browse.

I rely on browsing. I rely on broad fandoms to mention series to remind me of them. Formerly, I relied on TV Tropes. Great source for making works sound interesting; not good as a predictor of whether they'd actually be interesting. Anyway, I no longer can be bothered to spend the time on searching for entertainment that I did a couple years ago. (I just realized a possible reason why I focus on TV series: I get more watching time per decision to watch!)

I'm not really looking for reviews, since I don't (want to) trust them. My problem starts earlier than that; knowing what exists, and finding enough information to guess whether it's interesting. What can I do in fields larger than my traditional foci?

I don't want methods that automatically limit my search. For example, I don't want to only hear about recent releases. I don't want to rely too heavily on my previous knowledge, which is rather limited. And I know from anime and manga that my favorite experiences were when I found something I'd seen nothing like before (doesn't happen much anymore) or when I found something I didn't know I'd like.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
Re: Serious question: How do I find movies to watch?
Triplicate Kid #770431 05/07/13 06:26 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Well, one thing you could do is look for lists of the 100 greatest movies of all time from entertainment sites like IMDB or the American Film Institute

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Triplicate Kid #770435 05/07/13 07:13 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I usually find picking a certain actor/director and then searching out their work to be pretty effective.

Triplicate Kid #770436 05/07/13 07:23 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Trip doesn't want to "limit" his search. Not sure how to respond to that? Almost anything other than choose from ALL movies seems to be contrary to desires?

Me personally, I'll get on an actor kick and just order some from the library. I might go on a genre kick. We're starting to get more British WWII era movies (oddly, no captioning done). There's a different perspective compared to some American movies of the same era.

Mostly though, I just peruse the library's on-line catalog and order anything that strikes my fancy.

Triplicate Kid #770447 05/08/13 12:22 AM
And then there was steak!
And then there was steak!
This is when I go to Wikipedia, type in a movie I already like, and then just read the article. As I come across other movies I click them. I look at them. Rinse and repeat. Eventually you've looked at dozens of movies, some of which you've never heard of and might actually find interesting.

Triplicate Kid #770448 05/08/13 01:00 AM
S
Active
Active
S
Another option is to go to somewhere like Amazon type in a name of film you do know/like and then choose something from the 'other people who bought this also bought' section.

Sure some of them are going to be pretty random or awful but it is a quick way of getting to see what's out there.

Triplicate Kid #770450 05/08/13 01:35 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Sites like IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes have 'Top 100 by genre' sections so you can see a list of the "best" (as voted by critics and/or members of those sites) 100 western or horror or science-fiction or comedy or documentary or whatever movies of all time.

I find those lists great for pointing me towards films I've never heard of, or had intended to see once upon a time but then forgot about. I've discovered some really classic/amazing movies on there.

One tip - don't be afraid to go old or foreign.

Triplicate Kid #770458 05/08/13 08:00 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The IMDB top 250 list is pretty broad for sure, but it's actually pretty good for a crowd-sourced popular list. If you get an IMDB account (the free one's fine) and start rating movies you've seen (both good and bad), their predictor is reasonably reliable I've found.

If you have Netflix, they have a recommendation tool as well, but I find it hit or miss, but probably because my whole family uses the account.

Triplicate Kid #770508 05/09/13 12:49 PM
T
Active
OP Offline
Active
T
Just to constrain the responses:

I dislike going by top lists.

One of the the things I mean when I say "limit" is "by credits". I don't want to focus on names I know.

Last edited by Triplicate Kid; 05/09/13 12:49 PM.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,203
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star