Roll Call
0 members (), 42 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by rickshaw1 - 05/03/24 09:15 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:13 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:11 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:10 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:07 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Legion Youboot
Portfolio Boy #771218 05/17/13 07:48 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Definitely no reboot, the gangs history of reboots has probably done more damage to their fanbase than all the bad art and poorly considered stories that litter their history combined.

I understand tying them into the JLA mythos as it could attract a lot of fans and I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing, it depends how it's interpreted.

Personally I'd like to see a avant garde sci-fi psycho write the book for a year to take it off somewhere totally leftfield, where the future is amazing and terrifying and unexpected. Also it could only help if they keep Francis on the art, he has grown so much as a storyteller and draws lush backgrounds and characters. His continued work would definitely encourage people to not only read the book but keep buying it. The recent chopping and changing of rushed art has been heartbreaking.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Portfolio Boy #771223 05/17/13 08:12 AM
Active
Active
Portela or even Legion Lost artist Pete Woods would do well. Woods created some fantastic aliens when DeFalco let him go futuristic. I agree that a superb artist is key.

The Legion really suffered when they bumped Portela for Kollins and all of the other artists in training that DC dumped on this title since #0. If the art sucks, the book sucks too no matter how good a storyline.

Portfolio Boy #771235 05/17/13 11:08 AM
Active
Active
What they should have done (and maybe still can) with the New 52 is introduce the Legion in Action Comics with a retold version of Adventure 247. Then have the 5 years younger Superman as a semi regular cast member in a LSH title. I would also return to it's space opera SF roots with an SF writer. Although space opera science fiction is most likely not a recipe for success.

Last edited by googoomuck; 05/17/13 11:09 AM.
Portfolio Boy #771238 05/17/13 12:22 PM
Deputy
Deputy
But is success really what DC is going for? smile

Dave Hackett #771252 05/17/13 04:32 PM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
....That, said my own personal preference would be so exclusionary to all but hardcore fans, it would be a tough sell, but I'd have ALL the Legions available for action via a relatively core group at Vanishing Point who monitor threats across time and the multiverse. They would choose team members per mission out of various timeframes/realities (based on where history is fluid enough to spare them) and then start mixing and matching.

Yes, yes, and yes again.
This is what I had hoped for back in 2006 with the solicitation for LSHv5 #15. I remember reading this and thinking it would make a great Legion book.

It's the Legion of Super-Heroes you thought you'd never see, as the greatest heroes of the 31st century become the greatest heroes of the Multiverse!

Legion World from v4 would make a good HQ stationed at Vanishing Point. They'd have to have some central overseer group, presumably pulled from whoever the big galaxy-wide DC group/groups are now with representatives in the know from each 'verse. The book could be the linchpin of the whole DC line.

Portfolio Boy #771310 05/18/13 07:36 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Why not? That would allow a lot of creativity and we could see favorites from any version of the Legion!

Portfolio Boy #794476 11/10/13 11:49 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Just some observations

Since everyone else has struck out I guess it's time to let Cary Bates take a swing at the Legion again, afterall he was writing it when I first became a fan.

Geoff Johns as the ongoing writer would probably bring in readers and excitement, while I hated some of the things he did like kill off Rond Vidar and R.J. Brande, I looked forward to his Action Comics story and Legion of 3 Worlds!

Kurt Busiek has stated in the past he would like to do the Legion, but would not want to share control over the characters.

Alex Ross Covers could help sales!

Carlos Pacheco wants to do the Legion!

Alan Davis and Mark Farmer rock on the Legion!

I miss Kal, Val, Kara, Brin, Drake, Dawny and Laurel Kent!

------------------------------------------------------------
My two favorite ideas on how the Legion would work for me is

1. A self contained earth one like Legionverse with its own Kal-el and Kara not dictated by the current or next years current DCU, explore the past DCU continuities using time travel and alternate realities. An All-Star Elseworlds Legion, where every character that has ever shown up in a Legion comic has the chance to do so again.

2. Two six issue mini-series a year by various creators using a different Legion from the 52 Earths, one with Superman/Superboy or Supergirl and one just featuring the Legion, if they need a Legion for a current DCU crossover let it be one of these maybe more than one could show up like in the old JLA/JSA Earth one/Earth two crossovers: Crisis on Multiple Futures

Last edited by Lone Wolf Legionnaire; 11/12/13 04:36 AM.

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
Emily Sivana #794498 11/11/13 09:35 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
My proposal: Eight hundred years have passed since the fall of the United Planets. The wars of the the 31st century heroes and villains did nothing to advance the universe and ended in catastrophe. A Dark Age fell upon the galaxy as opportunists carved kingdoms out of the remains of the United Planets. This will be a coming of age story about a young man who unites these kingdoms into a mighty force.

Similar, but I'd have it as the children of the Legion, a 'next generation' type of thing.

Can you picture Brainiac 6? The daughter of Brainy and ... hmmm, I wonder who....

kenaustin #794500 11/11/13 11:14 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
Originally Posted by kenaustin
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
....That, said my own personal preference would be so exclusionary to all but hardcore fans, it would be a tough sell, but I'd have ALL the Legions available for action via a relatively core group at Vanishing Point who monitor threats across time and the multiverse. They would choose team members per mission out of various timeframes/realities (based on where history is fluid enough to spare them) and then start mixing and matching.

Yes, yes, and yes again.
This is what I had hoped for back in 2006 with the solicitation for LSHv5 #15. I remember reading this and thinking it would make a great Legion book.

It's the Legion of Super-Heroes you thought you'd never see, as the greatest heroes of the 31st century become the greatest heroes of the Multiverse!

Legion World from v4 would make a good HQ stationed at Vanishing Point. They'd have to have some central overseer group, presumably pulled from whoever the big galaxy-wide DC group/groups are now with representatives in the know from each 'verse. The book could be the linchpin of the whole DC line.

This would actually work well with DC's (perpetually) upcoming 'Multiversity" mini series

Georgehaze #794501 11/11/13 12:16 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Georgehaze
Similar, but I'd have it as the children of the Legion, a 'next generation' type of thing.

Can you picture Brainiac 6? The daughter of Brainy and ... hmmm, I wonder who....

We can create it together and pitch it to DC, or at least post it on the subforum on this site.

We could have multiple Brainiac 6's, each from a different mother so everyone is happy.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Portfolio Boy #794508 11/11/13 03:24 PM
K
Leader
Leader
K

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Portfolio Boy #794526 11/11/13 05:24 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Just to get my two cents worth of opinion in, no matter what, I would set the Legion in its own inviolable reality with an essentially "All Star" approach by doing 10 things:

1) Basing the history of this reality on the main precepts of
the original silver-age era (namely, an optimistic future
grounded in a past with an inspirational Superboy/Superman
and idealistic Green Lantern Corps--regardless of whether or
not the latter entity is currently banned from Earth);

2) At least initially depicting personal characters and life-
histories as they were initially established in the early
days of the silver-age continuity (e.g. no having Sun Boy
appear as a suicidal Dominator collaborator or Lightning Lad
as Protty);

3) Having every legionnaire exist who's ever appeared in any of
the main 'boots--including a separate Batch SW6 version of
the Legion in order to please those who like their
legionnaires to be perky and fresh-faced (personally, I
like 'em both ways: young and seasoned);

4) Headquartering the main Legion on Legion-World, and the
Subs and Batch SW6ers on Earth;

5) Retelling, reconciling, and incorporating key stories and
plot developments from various boots into the 'All Star'
reality from time to time in the form of flash-back tales,
albeit with fresh twists and in a manner that isn't overly
hokey as some early silver-age tales were (i.e. more
realistic dialogue, character motivations, plot detail and
execution, etc.);

6) Omitting any stories or plot history where reality was
retroactively changed permanently (e.g. Crisis on Infinite
Earths, Zero Hour, etc. would be excluded, but one-off
stories like the Mordru-verse one would be okay);

7) Injecting a good dose of humour into the stories from time-
to-time ala the 5-year gap era;

8) Above all else, not arbitrarily killing characters off,
because this always pisses off a large number of readers
(who cares if dramatic tension is thereby slightly reduced?--
Personally, when I'm made to care about a character through
good writing, the possibility of 'mere' injury, hardship,
and/or emotional distress is sufficient to keep me hanging
on the edge of my seat).

9) Posting official and concise character and plot history
summaries online, as well as current plot/character
development 'score cards'--for the sake of new readers and
older ones like myself whose memories are becoming bit
spotty; and

10) Establishing a sort of visual style-sheet for artists so
that all of them consistently depict such things as:
HQ/Ship floor-plans; devices, weaponry, ships, and other
pieces of essential technology; and military/paramilitary
uniforms (artistic interpretations and deliberate updates
would be allowed, but only with at least private editorial
recognition and future enforcement of said changes, or
ideally, with in-story references to them).

Last edited by Mediocre Boy; 11/11/13 05:44 PM.

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
Emily Sivana #794579 11/12/13 12:10 PM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
Originally Posted by Georgehaze

We can create it together and pitch it to DC, or at least post it on the subforum on this site.

We could have multiple Brainiac 6's, each from a different mother so everyone is happy.

Expanding upon the idea...

What if the 'Legion Lost' crew made it back to the future only to find that they're a generation late? If they ended up with the sons and daughters of the Legionnaires that they know and a new Legion that needs their guidance and expertise... but don't want it.

Would the 'Lost' Legion take up the mantle of mentors and advisers? Or has losing twenty (or so) years of their lives too much for them to handle?

And what has become of the comrades and loved ones that they once knew?

And, what dire threat from the Lost Legion's past, when they were the young Legion and just starting out, is now making it's way back again? Can the Legion stop the threat a second time?

[Insert ominous music here....]

Last edited by Georgehaze; 11/12/13 12:12 PM.
Portfolio Boy #794663 11/13/13 02:11 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Great thread. My two cents is to steal Alan Davis away from Marvel and just let him do what he wants. Superboy's Legion was one of my favorites. I had actually wished that it wasn't Elseworlds. Him and Mark Farmer are great artists and writers. I'd trust them to make a good book no matter what they did to the Legion.

Last edited by WangLung; 11/14/13 09:23 AM.
Portfolio Boy #794906 11/16/13 08:05 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I would simply get a new creative team to continue where the Levitz run left off.

It's as close to a classic Legion line up as you're likely to get. No reboot required.

It's as close to the classic legion time line as you're likely to get too. Again no reboot required.

Moving it too far away from core characters, Superboy, 2000 years in the future and Earth will dent sales. So, I'd not do that. By all means have a companion book for any of those. For example, Giffen would have relaunched the Omega Men in the 30th Century.

By all means make an occasional reference to previous events/ stories, but only to add depth to an ongoing story/ characterisation. No retcons, no flashbacks no navel gazing required. It's a book of the future. Keep it looking that way for a while please.

Having the Legion become the Heroes of the Multiverse evolves the concept, which is why it's so good. It doesn't need to rewrite anything. It doesn't destroy anything or retcon or reboot it. It can be turned off as easily as turned on if need be.

If people like Shikari or the Sensor Jeckie etc, then they are there for those fans. They could easily be incorporated into a core team.

If the multiverse concept doesn't appeal, then there could be counterparts in the current Legion's universe to those characters.

I'm not sure if there are now multiple Gates but there could be a new Kinetix or a new Kid Quantum out there. Perhaps contact has already been made, so just as Gates appeared, Kid WQQuantum returns form secondment on Antares or Kinetix completes an archeological tour. There are at least half a dozen ways of getting Laurel Gand back, which is a personal preference.

Speaking of destruction. No planets getting blown up unless there is a really, really good reason. A really good reason is not to show how powerful the villain may be. It's cliched, desperate and has no lasting impact other than to rob future writers of story potential.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #795050 11/18/13 04:04 PM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
Originally Posted by thothkins
There are at least half a dozen ways of getting Laurel Gand back, which is a personal preference....

I agree completely with your priorities! smile

Portfolio Boy #795052 11/18/13 04:16 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I agree but my creative team would still include Alan Davis smile

There really is no need for any kind of re-boot. Hell even Laurel Gand can come back. She just doesn't need to be a replacement for Supergirl now. She can still be a Daxamite relative of Mon-El, no problem. Hell, with Mon-El injured it's pretty much a good set up for it. Anyone after 5yl could conceivably come back.

Portfolio Boy #795055 11/18/13 04:29 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Yea, there are a number of ways for Kent to reappear too. it's surprising just what a good fit both Kent and Laurel were to the Legion.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Portfolio Boy #795056 11/18/13 04:39 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Pretty much all the characters after magic wars could come back if they tried. It would be easy to bring back those characters. It would be harder to bring in different versions of existing characters like Sensor/Projectra or Shikari/Dawnstar.

I think I found out why they never did anything with Nightwind or Lamprey. Were they not created in a contest by someone outside DC? They would have to pay royalties to them if they had no contract years ago.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,095
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden