Roll Call
0 members (), 37 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:33 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Recommend Comics for Legion Fans!
#770952 05/14/13 01:02 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
So it sounds like some of you are being left with a smaller and smaller pull list now that DC has gone tits up and hates its own fans (and creators).

Yet, the current comic book industry is probably the most vibrant and best its been in 20 years! Say what? That's right--and you're probably missing it! Right now, the non Big 2 publishers are producing some of the best and most exciting high quality comics that have ever been produced. I would go as far as saying there is a Renaissance going on right now.

And to make life extra easy for you, this thread will make some specific recommendations.

I'll start, and even though I want to list 25 series right off the bat, I won't hog the whole thing and allow others to join in. But immediately jumping to mind:

Atomic Robo! - do you like sci-fi? Action and adventure? FUN?!! Humor? Complex plots? FUN?!!! Characterization? Then why aren't you already reading this?! It's guaranteed to make you remember why you love comics!

The Manhattan Projects- Big bold ideas, with quirky crazy-as-hell characters that never once is ashamed of the amount of fun its having, the Manhattan Projects is just all around brilliant from the dialogue to the coloring choices on every page. Very stylized, it makes no attempt to hide its ballsy choices and in your face sci-fi approach.

Peter Panzerfaust - never liked war comics before? Never cared about Peter Pan? None of that matters. What matters is this: do you like adventure series? Do you like stories about camaraderie in the face of over-whelming odds? Do you like heroism coming from both the majestic and the meek? Peter Panzerfaust reaffirmed for me that there are still new comics that make me feel like an 8 year old kid again.

These are just three of dozens. And I didn't even get into the obvious ones like Saga.

There are so many comics being tailor-made for fans of the Legion of Super-Heroes that its kind of crazy! Unique, new voices and stylized, beautiful artistry! It's all yours for the taking!

Re: Recommend Comics for Legion Fans!
Cobalt Kid #770957 05/14/13 02:23 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Hypernaturals - I was not a fan of DnA's Legion work, but this here is real future sci-fi in action. The Legion, for better or worse, has rarely been written by someone with any real sense of futurism (perhaps not since Ed Hamilton), and the nature of the 30th/31st century-as-presented is almost a handicap at times, as the DCU doesn't really lend itself to transhumanism or modern-day conceptions of 'science fiction' as handled by writers like Peter Hamilton or Greg Egan. Hypernaturals doesn't have that limitation. The brakes are off and DnA are running hot with some stuff that wouldn't have been possible as part of the big two, I suspect.

Since they have a large universe to introduce, and lack the benefit of 40 years of back-continuity to fill in some of the blanks, DnA have taken to having cast interviews and mini-articles in the back, similar to the extra material in the old Watchmen series, so even such a complex and potentially bewildering universe is more accessible.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Cobalt Kid #770959 05/14/13 02:39 PM
D
Honorary
Honorary
D
Brian K Vaughn's Saga

Brandon Graham's Prophet

Hickman's Avengers

All three of these books have a healthy dose of what makes the Legion work.

Also, Bryan Q Miller's Smallville. Which actually has the Legion in it.

Cobalt Kid #770969 05/14/13 03:38 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I also hugely recommend Hypernaturals, which is more a great Legion series than the Legion has been in years, and also Saga (the best comic on the market possibly), Prophet (sci-fi for those who love having their minds blown) and Avengers (another great Legion-esque superhero series).

All great suggestions!

Cobalt Kid #770970 05/14/13 03:41 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Hypernaturals is still ending (at least temporarily) with #12, right?

Still, I totally agree that there's a lot of Legion-y goodness in it! And that it's much better than DnA's actual Legion run!

Cobalt Kid #770972 05/14/13 03:44 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Transformers: More than Meets the Eye. Imagine JLI on a ship full of giant robots on a quixotic quest (that not many of them really care about the results of).

Attached Images TransformersMtMtESample1.jpg TransformersMtMtESample2.jpg TransformersMtMtESample3.jpg TransformersMtMtESample4.jpg

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Cobalt Kid #770982 05/14/13 06:22 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Saga Saga Saga ... it is so good I could eat the paper it is printed on.

Cobalt Kid #770983 05/14/13 06:23 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
A bit expensive to do though.

Cobalt Kid #771006 05/14/13 09:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I recommend both All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men to Legion fans. My interest in Legion decreases when my increase in X-Men increases, and vice-verse.Especially because the Infinity event is going to inevitably touch on the Phoenix and other cosmic events.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Cobalt Kid #771026 05/14/13 11:00 PM
Eager Young Space Cadet
Eager Young Space Cadet
Wow, are you saying that there is a Peter Pan war comic? That does sound good.

As does Hypernaturals. Have always loved DnA, even their Marvel Cosmic stories.

The best team book I'm reading currently is Uncanny Avengers. Cool blending of the Avengers- and X-franchises.

"I have a ticket to the moon....but I'd rather see the sunrise...in your eyes"

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,249
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Kent Shakespeare
Kent Shakespeare
Hudson Valley