Roll Call
0 members (), 33 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/06/24 01:31 PM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by Ann Hebistand - 05/06/24 01:30 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 11:28 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 11:28 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added EYEFUL ETHEL & SUNSWORD 5 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 06:42 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by razsolo - 05/06/24 05:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:05 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Justice League 3000....
Lone Wolf Legionnaire #776217 06/18/13 02:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Darn, I was hoping for these guys.
[Linked Image]

What is Laurel doing with her hand there? Giving Rond a pick me up by the look of it smile

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Eryk Davis Ester #776220 06/18/13 03:24 PM
Active
Active
A good twist can be if in the first issue The Fatal Five kill all the team (Like Earth 2 first issue), and The Legion take the place in the honor of them.

From UK with glamour.
Eryk Davis Ester #776229 06/18/13 05:13 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Here's the link to the Newsarama.com interview with Giffen and DeMatteis where Keith Giffen rips off the head of Legion fandom and pours bile down the esophagus.

According to Giffen, no Legionnaires, no Legion 31C locales: "they will not be going to Braal".

Oh, and this: "Sorry Legion fans, but you're going to have to wait until somebody comes up with a take on the Legion."

Remind me again why we Legion fans LIKE him?

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
Eryk Davis Ester #776230 06/18/13 05:16 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I don't think we will see the Legion again until the copyrights start to expire. I'm expecting them and their entire world to fade into an "it was only a dream" sort of vapor in the final issue.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
Eryk Davis Ester #776231 06/18/13 05:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Personally I'm relieved that this book has nothing to do with the Legion. The only time I have liked Giffen being on anything Legion was his first run as artist. Outside of that, I've never been a fan.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
Spellbinder #776232 06/18/13 05:33 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Spellbinder
Personally I'm relieved that this book has nothing to do with the Legion. The only time I have liked Giffen being on anything Legion was his first run as artist. Outside of that, I've never been a fan.

Ditto. I'll be tickled pink if they never mention anything to do with the Legion.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
doublechinner #776235 06/18/13 06:05 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by doublechinner

Oh, and this: "Sorry Legion fans, but you're going to have to wait until somebody comes up with a take on the Legion."

Remind me again why we Legion fans LIKE him?

I am starting to wonder why I like him.

Is it so hard to come up with a take on the Legion. Methinks NOT.

HELLO ... HAS ANYONE SEEN IMAGE LATELY????!?!?!?!?!

Some of the best books in the history of the comic book medium are being created there ... over .... and over ... again.

It's becoming clear the DC same old same old crew are Creatively and Morally BEREFT.

muh muh muah muah muah muh muuu "Sorry Legion fans, but you're going to have to wait until somebody comes up with a take on the Legion." muah muh mew meh muah moa ....

losers.

Harbinger #776236 06/18/13 06:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Harbinger
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Darn, I was hoping for these guys.
[Linked Image]

What is Laurel doing with her hand there? Giving Rond a pick me up by the look of it smile

Here is your take KG. easy. done.

Eryk Davis Ester #776237 06/18/13 06:09 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
It seems to me the whole idea that one needs a "take" on the Legion is part of the problem.

Just write the freaking Legion. No trying to give some new spin or fancy interpretation of it. Then I'll be happy.

Eryk Davis Ester #776238 06/18/13 06:11 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
DC are clearly not interested in "takes" anyway.

JL and Bat all day long.

Eryk Davis Ester #776240 06/18/13 06:17 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This actually sounds interesting. I've been distracted from comics lately and up for any stories that sound new. I also have fond memories of Batman Beyond's Justice League episodes, so this could be enjoyable.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Eryk Davis Ester #776246 06/18/13 08:19 PM
Wanderer
Online Confused
Wanderer
Let's think of somebody new. I'm tired of treading old ground.

Doesn't anyone see the irony of a man talking about doing a book called the Justice League and featuring 5 characters identical to Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash and Green Lantern defending his not using a Legionnaire because it wouldn't be new and would be treading old ground?!?

Pathetic. [Linked Image]

Eryk Davis Ester #776248 06/18/13 08:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Fine, I'll be the asshole here. LEGION is not SELLING, but Justice League IS (even though *I* recently dropped it). This move can't really be THAT big of a surprise to those of us who keep up with sales figures and DC's recent corporate policies. I'm afraid the days of Paul Levitz keeping DOOM PATROL alive as it fell less than 10,000 copies sold monthly because it was his daughter's favorite comic at the time are long gone (Yes that was a rumored THANG back in the day).

I'll miss LSH but it won't be coming back until a BIG NAME CREATOR wants to do so. You may define "big name creator" as you wish.

But... *prepares for tossed rotten tomatoes*... I'm almost certain I'll be checking out JL3K... I've never been disappointed by this creative team (with or without Maguire)... from Justice League to Metal Men to Booster Gold.

Since JL3K is apparently separate from LSH, I'm likely to enjoy it also. We'll see...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Eryk Davis Ester #776249 06/18/13 09:21 PM
Active
Active
I guess the thing that kind of bothers me about Giffen's interview is the fact that his stated intention with Justice League 3000 is to have no crossover of characters and locations between it and the Legion universe even though both books are set in the same time period. Given that DC like to have everything fit together in one nice universe/time stream package, this either means that JL 3000 will take place in a separate universe from the Legion, or the Legion universe and continuity is being wiped out and Justice League 3000 will be the only legitimate 31st century heir of the current DC universe.

The possibility that the Legion's future may no longer exist is almost more chilling than a simple book cancellation. I think LSH #23 may be an important issue to read to see if there will ever be a future for the Legion or not. I guess this just makes me wish even more that Levitz would bring the Legion Lost team home before he wraps things up. If the Legion universe gets wiped out, I want the whole Legion together when it happens.

Eryk Davis Ester #776258 06/18/13 09:58 PM
Deputy
Deputy
The JL beyond is a lot more diverse and interesting than this sad looking lot. Ooh, let's have some just like Wonder Woman but edgier! So more white males and a white female. Whoopee. Give me a gay transmuter in pink and white suit any day.

Last edited by doublechinner; 06/18/13 10:02 PM.

Eryk Davis Ester #776262 06/18/13 10:20 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Lash has a great perspective, and I agree with much of it. But the character designs do nothing for me, and Giffen's dickishness really turns me off. I would be more interested if he were just ripping off Guardians of the Galaxy or the Legion. The Legion was the original future super team...of space! and it's offensive to just dismiss and ignore it when playing in the same sandbox. And given that DiDio HATED JL bwahaha, I wonder what the motive is to use this team, unless they have some compelling market research that tells them they are missing out on a huge 80s nostalgia humor market segment? I wish Marc and Kevin all success, and I may give the book a look, but Giffen's preference for burning bridges rather than building them leaves me frosty.

Eryk Davis Ester #776263 06/18/13 10:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
If I could have my DREAM JOB, it would totally be Giffen's PR guy-- he needs one desperately!!! Giff actually never needs to open his mouth without me filtering what comes out! LOL!!

SO, Mister Giffen, if you happen to come across this post, Yeah, I will totes make you relatable to the fans AND fetch your coffee!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Eryk Davis Ester #776264 06/18/13 11:36 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I can be Lashies gopher while he's working.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

Eryk Davis Ester #776265 06/18/13 11:36 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'll even dress up as the fat Blue Beetle.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

Pariscub #776266 06/19/13 01:17 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Pariscub
Originally Posted by MLLASH
The 80s fanboy in me who loved every single issue of that creative team's Justice League run is fighting the lifelong LSH fanboy in me--!!!

Same here... Love the creative team... hate the concept (would even hate it if it didn't replace the Legion.

Ditto.
Even if the writing is good and the art is good this is a horrible idea. Never did like those "superhero - future" books - kind of like elseworlds but without the characters you know, just the labels - and to dump the Legion to do it! yuck!yuck!yuck!

MLLASH #776269 06/19/13 05:05 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Fine, I'll be the asshole here. LEGION is not SELLING, but Justice League IS [...] I'll miss LSH but it won't be coming back until a BIG NAME CREATOR wants to do so.

I agree, that's the harsh truth. Marvel is also doing about the same by launching a new Avengers title every other month. Publishing houses are out there to make money - and rightly so, of course.

But...

- If the Legion didn't sell was because its stories were crap. Since Levitz came back writing, I don't remember a single Legion story of his that I actually enjoyed, or that I found even just decently written. It's as simple as that.
Moreover, Francis Portela's aside, the art has also been meh, especially in the last year (I strongly believe Scott Kolins had to draw his episodes overnight or something). In my experience as a retailer, I also believe that changing the artist every month hurts sales *badly*.

- DC already publishes a book about futuristic clones of the JL and it doesn't seem to me like it's setting the chart on fire or anything. I understand that comic is off canon, but it's also based on a well-known and loved cartoon franchise. Still, DC is going to have on the stands TWO books about futuristic takes on the JL... isn't that a little too much? And so much for originality.

- DeMatteis, Giffen and Maguire are all solid pros (well, Giffen maybe not so much tongue ), but I think the point of having them create a new series together is to appeal to those readers who are already familiar with those author's 25-years old JLI stint. I mean, how is that team supposed to appeal to new readers? And didn't DC already stop their line of JLI reprints cause it didn't sell?

Now that Superman is perceived as cool again and DC is also flooding the market with books about the Man of Steel, I think the Legion could easily benefit from that. Maybe a "Superman and the Legion" monthly, with Kal-El as a full-time member of the book's cast?

Anyway, since it looks like it won't have anything to do with the Legion, I think I'll also give JL 3000 a try. I really loved what DeMatteis, Giffen and Maguire did together in the past, and if DC's editors won't disturb those three too much I think they could deliver another nice read.

Eryk Davis Ester #776270 06/19/13 06:00 AM
Active
Active
This isn't just a replacement for the Legion's book this is a replacement for the whole Legion purpose.

Set in 3000 it is therefore just before the New 52 Legion was founded so why would RJ Brande form a teenage Legion when the Justice League was around? A Teen Titans possibly but not a Legion.

Why would the Legion have stood alone against Darkseid in the Great Darkness, or the Fatal Five in the current storyline. How could Earth-Man have formed a Justice League of Earth?

I'm betting there is no Sodam Yat as the last Green Lantern. No EarthGov or United Planets in the world of JL3K.

Either JL3K is from a different universe or the Legion as we have known it for 55 years is dead.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
Eryk Davis Ester #776272 06/19/13 07:33 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Harbinger
Only one woman and they are all white. How 1970s is that?

Who says they're all white? You can't see Green Lantern at all and Batman might be light-skinned, but he could be latin, asian, african, etc... and any of them could certainly be gay.

The presence of JL3K doesn't make me feel any more pessimistic about the Legion's existence. The book's cancelled and is currently waiting for someone to come up with a way to make them relevant and exciting. That would be true in any case. The existance of JL3K doesn't change that in my mind because any new iteration could simply involve them or even be set in the 41st century.

To look at it "half glass full" having people buying a book about the 31st century could be a way to introduce the Legion in a new way in a book that's *actually selling well.* Regardless of what Giffen says, who's to say he's even going to be on the book a week from now the way DC is these days. Similar to how Marvel is calling almost any team "Avengers" maybe the Legion could benefit from being seen as a more direct outcropping of the JL.

Mr. Kayak #776273 06/19/13 08:13 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
Originally Posted by Mr. Kayak
Fine, I'll be the asshole here. LEGION is not SELLING, but Justice League IS [...] I'll miss LSH but it won't be coming back until a BIG NAME CREATOR wants to do so.

I agree, that's the harsh truth. Marvel is also doing about the same by launching a new Avengers title every other month. Publishing houses are out there to make money - and rightly so, of course.

But...

- If the Legion didn't sell was because its stories were crap. Since Levitz came back writing, I don't remember a single Legion story of his that I actually enjoyed, or that I found even just decently written. It's as simple as that.
Moreover, Francis Portela's aside, the art has also been meh, especially in the last year (I strongly believe Scott Kolins had to draw his episodes overnight or something). In my experience as a retailer, I also believe that changing the artist every month hurts sales *badly*.

- DC already publishes a book about futuristic clones of the JL and it doesn't seem to me like it's setting the chart on fire or anything. I understand that comic is off canon, but it's also based on a well-known and loved cartoon franchise. Still, DC is going to have on the stands TWO books about futuristic takes on the JL... isn't that a little too much? And so much for originality.

- DeMatteis, Giffen and Maguire are all solid pros (well, Giffen maybe not so much tongue ), but I think the point of having them create a new series together is to appeal to those readers who are already familiar with those author's 25-years old JLI stint. I mean, how is that team supposed to appeal to new readers? And didn't DC already stop their line of JLI reprints cause it didn't sell?

Now that Superman is perceived as cool again and DC is also flooding the market with books about the Man of Steel, I think the Legion could easily benefit from that. Maybe a "Superman and the Legion" monthly, with Kal-El as a full-time member of the book's cast?

Anyway, since it looks like it won't have anything to do with the Legion, I think I'll also give JL 3000 a try. I really loved what DeMatteis, Giffen and Maguire did together in the past, and if DC's editors won't disturb those three too much I think they could deliver another nice read.

You've actually partially answered your own questions...

Ever since Marvel started making it big with their movies based on comic characters, DC (and the current parent corporation there of) have been eying their success with envy.

The batman franchise is coming to something of a halt while Superman is revving up. It's immediate success and the constant in-house talk of a Justice League movie are pointing the bean-counters toward where they see the money to be.

So, everything at DC for the foreseeable future is going to be geared at marketing the upcoming movies and if the quality of the DCnU has to fall by the way to do this then so be it.

That's why the over emphasis of the JL titles.

As for the poor Legion, I've got to agree with the ideas already expressed: quality sells and crap doesn't.

A) Put someone on the book who wants and can write a decent story - clearly Giffen isn't the guy and Levitz just doesn't have it anymore.

B) There is an old truism in comics that bad art can ruin a good story (and that, ironically, good art can't save a bad story - for long). So, with that in mind, get a decent artist on the title. Stop pissing off people like Jiminez and Perez and let them work.

Bye Legion. Sleep well until the next time.

Eryk Davis Ester #776278 06/19/13 10:07 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What I don't understand is - if you're going to make a futuristic comic with zero Legion connections, why set it in the 31st century? Why not just set it in the 40th century? Or the 100th century? Or the 853rd century or whatever?

Seems strange to me.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,164
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP