Roll Call
0 members (), 37 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 09:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 05:30 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dan DiDio: "We publish comics for 45-year olds"
Reboot #784053 08/20/13 04:13 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I would say other comics do "write for '45 year olds'" or an adult and cultured audience ... but IMO and FtMP DC writes for the psycho killer doll Chucky.
[Linked Image]

in other words ... very disturbed children.

Last edited by Power Boy; 08/20/13 04:14 PM.
Reboot #784136 08/21/13 09:48 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Another case of a business not even understanding its target market shake

Reboot #787440 09/14/13 08:38 PM
Reboot Online Shocked OP
#deleteFacebook
OP Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook
Okay, not new but I just noticed this. Dan Didio on why Karen Berger's Vertigo was broken:

Originally Posted by New York Times
Mr. DiDio said it would be “myopic” to believe “that servicing a very small slice of our audience is the way to go ahead.”

They want to sell to the broadest section of 45-year olds possible!

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Reboot #787444 09/14/13 08:57 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
mad Didio is SUCH a fuck-face! mad

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Reboot #787459 09/14/13 10:34 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
The most mature thing I can think of saying is Didio deserves for someone to do to him what happened to William Wallace at the end of Braveheart.

Cobalt Kid #787460 09/14/13 10:38 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
The most mature thing I can think of saying is Didio deserves for someone to do to him what happened to William Wallace at the end of Braveheart.

Well, that would be consistent with both the grotesque violence that DC passes off for entertainment/storytelling these days and the torture he puts us through by killing our childhood every week! lol

Reboot #787462 09/14/13 10:49 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Come on, guys. Beheading someone just because he publishes comics we don't like? Doesn't that seem a a bit, I don't know, irrational?

Going back to what I've said many times before: If you don't like DC's current output, don't read it. Find something else to become a fan of. Nothing is going to be the same as it was when you were nine or twelve or fifteen. The world has changed, and so have we. It's scary, I know. DC is not writing comics for us. Move on.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
He Who Wanders #787463 09/14/13 10:55 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
Going back to what I've said many times before: If you don't like DC's current output, don't read it.

I don't. I've dropped every single DCFU title from my pull as of the final issues of Legion and Dial H.

However, I reserve my right to be embittered by once-beloved comics being beyond crappy and driving me away from them. I also reserve the right to occasionally express my exasperation with this with some spirited exaggeration! nod wink

Reboot #787467 09/14/13 11:16 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I reserve the right to behead, castrate, disembowel and torture those whose decisions offend me! I'm an American, dammit!

grin

He Who Wanders #787476 09/15/13 04:00 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
Come on, guys. Beheading someone just because he publishes comics we don't like? Doesn't that seem a a bit, I don't know, irrational?

Going back to what I've said many times before: If you don't like DC's current output, don't read it. Find something else to become a fan of. Nothing is going to be the same as it was when you were nine or twelve or fifteen. The world has changed, and so have we. It's scary, I know. DC is not writing comics for us. Move on.

Venting is a necessary and often fun part of dealing with loss.

DC brass is contributing to national healing.

Reboot #789681 10/04/13 09:19 PM
Reboot Online Shocked OP
#deleteFacebook
OP Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Reboot #789691 10/04/13 10:43 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
From Reboot's link. Wheeler writes:

...Marriage does traditionally close characters off to other romantic entanglements in a way that’s less true for other types of relationship. It turns every love triangle into adultery, every break-up into separation or divorce. It creates an ending for characters who aren’t meant to have endings. It’s tough to undo. In superhero comics it’s tidier to reverse a death than to reverse a marriage...

It's great, hearing him justify DC's obnoxious attitude toward marriage and seemingly unable to realize how contradictory he's being. He thinks DC could do well by aiming for the demographic of men (apparently even grown women don't read comics once they become Mommies. Yeesh.) who want to buy comics for their daughters.

So... on one hand, let's tell the female readership that their only role in comics is to provide no-strings-attached sex appeal for almost exclusively) male heroes and their (exclusively male) readers. On the other hand, let's say that this attitude is just the sort of thing that a grown (exclusively male) parent should want to pass on to his own daughter via three bucks worth of skimpy reading material heavily saturated with great big ads.

Wheeler tries to have his cake and eat it, too. I'll put this as gently as possible even though I'm fuming: It doesn't come off well. [scowl]

It's also telling to examine DC's bluntly-stated hostility to the idea of marriage or long-term male/female pairings in light of what happened to the Legion over the last couple of years.

Last edited by cleome47; 10/04/13 10:45 PM.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Reboot #789697 10/05/13 12:51 AM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
It's easier to undo death than marriage?

Holy sweet everloving f***!

Every day I'm happier and happier I dropped everything DC publishes

.. #789708 10/05/13 08:11 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Viridis Lament
It's easier to undo death than marriage?

Holy sweet everloving f***!

Every day I'm happier and happier I dropped everything DC publishes

Could have been worse.

He could have said they were the same thing.

Reboot #789718 10/05/13 09:14 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Cleome nails it on why Wheeler is full of **it.

Especially good point on how non-leads are reduced to the role of providing no-strings attached sex, and then to later be killed off or reduced even further to the role of jerk / psycho / someone not deserving of the relationship.

Then there is the fact that the "meet, fall in love, start caring for one another" phase is easiest thing to write in terms of relationships. Just like the easiest thing to do in real life. Everyone has read or seen a trillion stories with this strait forward bit. Much harder is showing any real depth to a relationship when the glittery "puppy love" phase is over, when things are complex and its not as glamorous but so much more realistic. But hey, DC is dumbing things down and think their readers are immature, emotionally stunted guys that don't know squat about relationships.

Reboot #789722 10/05/13 09:21 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I always had a cynical feeling that comic book editors who were talking about how unrelatable married folk are were reliving their own failed marriages through the medium.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Cobalt Kid #789727 10/05/13 10:02 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer

Especially good point on how non-leads are reduced to the role of providing no-strings attached sex, and then to later be killed off or reduced even further to the role of jerk / psycho / someone not deserving of the relationship.

Then there is the fact that the "meet, fall in love, start caring for one another" phase is easiest thing to write in terms of relationships. Just like the easiest thing to do in real life. Everyone has read or seen a trillion stories with this strait forward bit. Much harder is showing any real depth to a relationship when the glittery "puppy love" phase is over, when things are complex and its not as glamorous but so much more realistic. But hey, DC is dumbing things down and think their readers are immature, emotionally stunted guys that don't know squat about relationships.

Well I deserve comics to read too!

Reboot #789729 10/05/13 10:27 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
grin

Set #789732 10/05/13 10:47 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Set
I always had a cynical feeling that comic book editors who were talking about how unrelatable married folk are were reliving their own failed marriages through the medium.

right.

Reboot #789746 10/05/13 12:24 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
But hey, DC is dumbing things down and think their readers are immature, emotionally stunted guys that don't know squat about relationships.

I thought that was the feeling from DC for quite a number of years. Even so, the casual misogyny of DCNu raised an eyebrow.

"We don’t publish comics for kids. We publish comics for 45-year-olds."

If that's the quality of book they think their target audience should be reading, it says a great deal about what they think of their target audience.

Of the DCnNu books, there would be very few I'd give to a kid. Where they think the next generation of comic fans is coming from is a mystery.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Cobalt Kid #789758 10/05/13 02:08 PM
[snip]

...Much harder is showing any real depth to a relationship when the glittery "puppy love" phase is over, when things are complex and its not as glamorous but so much more realistic. But hey, DC is dumbing things down and think their readers are immature, emotionally stunted guys that don't know squat about relationships.

It's kind of sad that the average sitcom from forty years ago was better able to grapple with these issues than modern day DC brass is.

Oh, and I forgot to add yesterday that not letting Kate marry Maggie further cements their reputation as a bunch of jaggoffs. But what can you expect? They think one woman is useless, so obviously two women are even more useless. Like a double negative or something.

puke

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Blockade Boy #789759 10/05/13 02:11 PM
[snip]

...But hey, DC is dumbing things down and think their readers are immature, emotionally stunted guys that don't know squat about relationships.

Originally Posted by Blockade Boy

It's too late, BB. We've already seen your photo and we know you're not really Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons.

Reboot #789768 10/05/13 03:13 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Next month from DC...

Follow the heartfelt story of Terry as he struggles to cope in a world his abilities have changed forever.

Join Terry for as he takes those new, first steps into adventure, humour, friendship and love...

...Only to be run over by a horde of emotionally stunted 45 year olds chasing after Big, Buxom, Ballistic Babes from Baaldur! Yes! straight from your pathetic fantasy life and into a short lived, desperate monthly!

Big Buxom Ballistic Babes only from DC. Because we're stunted too!

Last edited by thothkins; 10/05/13 03:57 PM.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
cleome57 #789782 10/05/13 06:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by cleome47
[snip]

...But hey, DC is dumbing things down and think their readers are immature, emotionally stunted guys that don't know squat about relationships.

Originally Posted by Blockade Boy

It's too late, BB. We've already seen your photo and we know you're not really Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons.

That was just someone I hired to make a good visual impression.

grin

Set #790255 10/11/13 10:43 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Sorry, I know that this is an old thread, but I've only just now come across it, and I've gotta say: Dan Dido, you ain't publishing any comics that this 45-year old wants to read!

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,091
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
LegionFan223
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Emily Sivana
Emily Sivana
Illinois
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star