Roll Call
1 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller), 23 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/02/24 11:40 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:09 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:08 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:07 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:01 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 10:55 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 10:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Re-Reading Atari Force
#783576 08/16/13 07:22 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
With the Legion ending next week, I've pondered what to read next, so I decided to turn to my second favorite comic of all time: Atari Force!

If you're unfamiliar with the title, here's a great review of the series: http://siskoid.blogspot.com/2011/12/old-52-atari-force.html?m=1

These 21 issues from Atari Force plus the Star Raiders graphic novel that proceeds it make up the canon.

Any Atari Force fans out there? Thought we might re-read the series together and discuss areas where it relates to the Legion.

Last edited by Leather Wolf; 08/16/13 07:52 AM.
Re: Re-Reading Atari Force
Leather Wolf #783620 08/16/13 11:04 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Atari Force #1 "Fresh Blood"

It's been a couple of years since I reread this first issue. The opening pages kind of had a Star Wars feel to it with Dart and Blackjak engaging in an alien bar fight remicient of Han Solo on Tatooine. In fact, I think Han Solo must have been the archetype upon which Blackjak was based.

On page 4 we encounter Dart's power to see the future. I like the way Jose Garcia Lopez actually lets us see the vision that Dart sees. This is one thing that I always thought was lacking in the Legion's use of Dream Girl's power. We never saw her visions. We heard about them, and she'd react to them, but not getting to see the vision always seemed to lack something. Dart is like a badass Dream Girl. Garcia Lopez visually designed her to look like she could kick some butt. I love her tattoos. They help make her look tough.

The interplay between Dart and Blackjak is spot on. They are lovers and they got each other's back. They remind me of Han Solo and Princess Leia, again a Star Wars influence.

That is also true of the Dark Destroyer who is introduced this issue. He is a Darth Vader wannabe, but is cool and evil in his own right.

When I first saw Chris Champion aka Tempest I knew that he would be interesting character. His multiverse phasing abilities are like the Phantom Girl and Gates put together. I like how his powers are portrayed. Tempest is what made me fall in love with Gates when he joined the Legion. Still, Tempest is a complex character, and I love how Gerry Conway makes him feel so human and so real.

The alien members of the team are also well done. Babe is the portrayal of pure innocence mistreated. Dr. Morphea as an empath reminds me of Saturn Girl who takes the lead as the voice of reason who is able to probe beneath the surface. Finally, Pakrat, the comical thief, is another very well conceived character.

Over all Atari Force #1 portrays a fun, action packed story with believeable characters who are very diverse. The story is easy to immerse into even without previous knowledge of the prior mini-comics that are described in the last page editorial..

Leather Wolf #793591 11/01/13 05:27 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I wouldn't mind rereading Atari Force at all. Great Garcia Lopez art although I don't think he drew the Special that I really liked focusing on Dart. I'd love to see Dart and the others again.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Leather Wolf #836199 01/21/15 11:59 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
[Linked Image]

I attempted this re-read of the Atari Force in 2013 but realized that most folks may not own a copy of this classic sci-fi comic. Therefore, I've hunted down an online archive version that you can read along on your computer or iPad. Here is the link to Atari Force #1.

https://archive.org/stream/atarifor...Worlds_Strangest_Heroes#page/n0/mode/2up

Like the Legion Archive re-reads, let's try to read through an issue a week at a time to give everyone a chance to read the issue and share thoughts and feedback. I hope you'll join us.

Leather Wolf #836260 01/22/15 01:53 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I got side tracked by the Avengers re read, but I'm working my way through them on this thread

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #836265 01/22/15 03:05 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally Posted by thothkins
I got side tracked by the Avengers re read, but I'm working my way through them on this thread

Thanks for the reviews of the mini-comics on the other thread. This thread will focus on vol. 2 of Atari Force that ran for 20 issues plus a Special. It features plots by Gerry Conway and Mike Baron with art by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez and Eduardo Barreto.

Leather Wolf #836266 01/22/15 04:01 PM
E
Substitute
Substitute
E
Would love DC to do something with the characters they created for the series. Possibly re-intro them into the 30th century Legion era as a new UP based team with a new team name. Always thought Tempest would make a great Legionnaire.

Leather Wolf #836267 01/22/15 04:07 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Leather Wolf
Thanks for the reviews of the mini-comics on the other thread. This thread will focus on vol. 2 of Atari Force that ran for 20 issues plus a Special. It features plots by Gerry Conway and Mike Baron with art by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez and Eduardo Barreto.

I got half way through that post and realised I was running late and pressed send. I was going to keep going on the other thread with the graphic novel and then v2. But I'll see how long it takes me to get to v2 and pop over here.

Elvar #836287 01/22/15 05:45 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally Posted by Elvar
Would love DC to do something with the characters they created for the series. Possibly re-intro them into the 30th century Legion era as a new UP based team with a new team name. Always thought Tempest would make a great Legionnaire.

I always thought that the Atari Force would have made a great companion title with the Legion universe. Two things though, Atari Force is set in a much earlier time period, and the partnership between DC Comics and Atari Inc. expired years ago leaving this title and it's characters in limbo.

I agree that Tempest would have made a great Legionnaire, but now the Legion has Gates who has sort of the same power set....sort of. Who knows, maybe someday...

Leather Wolf #836398 01/23/15 07:33 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I think I've only ever read one black and white re-print of this series (a loooooooooonnngg time ago) so don't know much about it, but WOW! that art!

Why wasn't JLGL drawing everything?!? I know he was off doing a lot DC's licensing artwork but how hard could it have been to draw the same 4 or 5 characters in a variety of poses a few times a year? DC really should have locked him down on more monthlies!

God, how awesome would the Legion have been under him rather than Greg Laroque?!? (No offense to Greg or his fans.)

Leather Wolf #836406 01/23/15 08:32 AM
E
Substitute
Substitute
E
Originally Posted by Elvar

I always thought that the Atari Force would have made a great companion title with the Legion universe. Two things though, Atari Force is set in a much earlier time period, and the partnership between DC Comics and Atari Inc. expired years ago leaving this title and it's characters in limbo.

I agree that Tempest would have made a great Legionnaire, but now the Legion has Gates who has sort of the same power set....sort of. Who knows, maybe someday...

I was under the impression that the Atari Force characters created by DC was similar to what Marvel had done with the characters and concepts that had been created for their licensed comics Micronauts & Team America after they lost the rights. Micronauts became the Microns (later Enigma Force) and Team America became Thunderriders using the characters that had been created for the books. If that is the case simply re-intro the DC created characters in the 30th century Legion time under a new team name with a new purpose. I may be wrong in the assumption DC owns the later created characters though.

Leather Wolf #836409 01/23/15 08:50 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Elvar, if that's the case, the DC Comics really has had a missed opportunity in not bringing back the Atari Force team. This would be a perfect book to co-exist in the 31st century with the Legion of Super-Heroes!

Blacula #836410 01/23/15 08:56 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally Posted by Blacula
I think I've only ever read one black and white re-print of this series (a loooooooooonnngg time ago) so don't know much about it, but WOW! that art! ...

God, how awesome would the Legion have been under him rather than Greg Laroque?!? (No offense to Greg or his fans.)

The incredible artwork is one of the main reasons I wanted you fellow Legion Worlders the chance to re-read Atari Force. I just loved the artwork when Atari Force first came out. With it's sci-fi premise it made a perfect reading companion to the Legion. Also, Gerry Conway's story telling style was similar to Paul Levitz's plotting at the time, juggling a vast amount of characters and worlds into a single tight continuity book.

Leather Wolf #837141 01/29/15 09:39 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
[Linked Image]

Atari Force #2 "Direct Encounter" by Gerry Conway and Jose Garcia Lopez

Here is the link to the online archive for this issue so you can read along and leave comments...

https://archive.org/stream/atarifor...02_Dart_Vs_The_Warbeast#page/n0/mode/2up

Leather Wolf #858388 07/06/15 12:19 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!

Leather Wolf #858395 07/06/15 01:06 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Great!

Thanks for the good news, Dave.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Leather Wolf #858810 07/09/15 02:07 AM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Wow! That is good news!

Leather Wolf #858875 07/09/15 01:39 PM
Active
Active
[Linked Image]

I attempted this re-read of the Atari Force in 2013 but realized that most folks may not own a copy of this classic sci-fi comic. Therefore, I've hunted down an online archive version that you can read along on your computer or iPad. Here is the link to Atari Force #1.

https://archive.org/stream/atarifor...Worlds_Strangest_Heroes#page/n0/mode/2up

Like the Legion Archive re-reads, let's try to read through an issue a week at a time to give everyone a chance to read the issue and share thoughts and feedback. I hope you'll join us.

these were some cool nass characters ... I liked dart and the tempest ... art was cool. especially tempest's teleportation effect.

Programmed by Eryk Davis Ester.
Leather Wolf #858876 07/09/15 01:53 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I've never read this series, but young EDE was rather fascinated by the bottom picture in the background of Dart's Who's Who entry!

Attached Images DartWhosWho.jpg
Leather Wolf #858907 07/09/15 07:48 PM
Active
Active
Rereading one and two ... it actually reminds me of SAGA.

Also ... POWER LORDS!!!!

Programmed by Eryk Davis Ester.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,073
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Brody27
Brody27
Tampa, FL
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star