Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 04:16 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 04:12 PM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by Ann Hebistand - 05/06/24 01:30 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 11:28 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added EYEFUL ETHEL & SUNSWORD 5 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 06:42 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by razsolo - 05/06/24 05:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:05 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: LSH #23 Preview and Review
BridYYC #784363 08/22/13 10:16 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Long Live the Legion. Yay.

This issue barely made me feel anything. Time to dive into the back issues.

BridYYC #784392 08/22/13 12:26 PM
Substitute
Substitute
You know the image on the cover pretty much sums up my feelings on the entire series since the DCFU started; what a fucked up mess!
I can picture Paul sitting in his office , head in hands thinking..."What have I done???"

I can't believe his treatment of Phantom Girl?

I agree with the person that said he kind of set up the whole 5 year gap scenario. Legion is disbanded... Mon-el is with Shady trying to be healed, PG is missing and Jo is distraught, and wasn't Cosmic Boy having trouble with his powers earlier and in the 5 year gap he had lost his powers for a bit?? (been too long since I read that series)

I guess the Earth 2 thing makes sense, since everyone has been out of character the entire series? Obviously thrown in at the last minute to make way for JLA 3000.

Anyhoo...I'm just going to enjoy the fact that I have an actual Legion ring and that my 7 year old daughter wants a Duplicate Damsel costume and will someday (hopefully) be able to enjoy a new fresh take on the Legion

LONG LIVE THE LEGION

Knightsfyre #784393 08/22/13 12:55 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Knightsfyre
Not to mention the fact that the reference is, in fact, wrong. In Earth 2 #1, it's not Superman who gets speared by Steppenwolf, it's Wonder Woman. Supes is looking on in horror, only to be killed moments later by the explosion of the pack of parademons grappling him...

Okay, so maybe Bouncing Boy is misremembering his history, but if so, how do they have the Superman shirt that was "speared" as Chuck says?

You have now put more thought and creative effort into this than anyone at DC. Congratulations!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
BridYYC #784394 08/22/13 01:18 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
So, the one thing I actually really liked about this issue was the reference to other universes where things might have turned out better. How awesome and full of potential would it have been if they'd actually given us glimpses of some of those universes? I like to think that *my* Thom and Nura, for example, are still living happily ever after in that little Stellar Observatory on Xanthu.

Anyway, a pretty blah conclusion to what has to have been one of my least favorite incarnations of the Legion. The Earth 2 thing really reminded me of Johns suddenly relegating the threeboot Legion to Earth Prime to make way for his new version. I wonder if there's any chance Levitz might revisit the team in World's Finest?

BridYYC #784396 08/22/13 01:40 PM
MYG Offline
Active
Active
I'm not sure what to feel after reading this final issue. I've been a loyal Legion fan since 1980 and I can honestly say I've continued to collect only (especially the last couple of years) because it is the Legion. It certainly had nothing to do with the quality of the stories or the art, thats for sure!!! So why was this final issue so well written and beautifully drawn?!? DC said that fan purchase of the title (or lack thereof) and increasingly dropping sales was the cause for its cancelation. Well the truth of the matter is DC failed its readers with the lack of quality in the rushed product they put out (and continue to do so) every month. If the LSH had a cult like following for 55 years and then it wanes like it did in the last couple of years...perhaps YOU DC, are the problem!!! I'm sure the Legion will "find its place" again like they always do. I'm sure it will be another reboot of some sort but I hope it's sooner than later. I guess we just have to wait until the JLA 3000 debacle makes its debut and comes crashing down as we all know it will and from the ashes of that "poop-fest" the Legion will be reborn!!!

Long Live the Legion!!!
Invisible Brainiac #784400 08/22/13 03:05 PM
And then there was steak!
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac

Ditto. The fact that this team is from Earth-2 (which I admittedly don't care much about) makes me care about this incarnation of the Legion even less than I did before. They are, essentially, forgettable. And it is plainly obvious that the Earth-2 "twist" was forcefully tacked on so that JL3K could be the NU52 "Legion".

I am curious, however, what the ORIGINAL intent of that #0 issue was. Was it actually to implicate Brainy in Tharok's attempt to take over the universe? Or was it something else?

BridYYC #784404 08/22/13 03:31 PM
K
Active
Active
K
I didn't even get the Earth-2 reference until reading what you guys wrote here. Not everyone reads other books and if you don't, you won't think of that as anything more than a reference to the Legion having inaccuracies in their history books (something that was done post-Crisis a lot).

I still don't believe that Dirk is dead, either. A faceless body is, in comics, just as bad as "never saw the body", and when we recently saw the realm of the dead a few issues back he wasn't in it.

BridYYC #784405 08/22/13 03:50 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Conjure Lass:

I am curious, however, what the ORIGINAL intent of that #0 issue was. Was it actually to implicate Brainy in Tharok's attempt to take over the universe? Or was it something else?

I'd assumed it was to have the original Brainiac as a villain in LSH, with him (it?) pulling the strings in Tharok's robot half. (Brainiac is currently a robot, right? I can never be sure these days. If not, then maybe the old Computer Tyrants of Colu.) Of course, Tharok ended up not being the familiar cyborg after that.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
Chaim Mattis Keller #784406 08/22/13 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Chaim Mattis Keller

I'd assumed it was to have the original Brainiac as a villain in LSH, with him (it?) pulling the strings in Tharok's robot half. (Brainiac is currently a robot, right? I can never be sure these days. If not, then maybe the old Computer Tyrants of Colu.) Of course, Tharok ended up not being the familiar cyborg after that.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Seeing Brainiac (would they call him Pulsar Stargrave again? HAHA!) in the 30th century would be pretty awesome. I...don't know if he's a robot in the DCFU or not.

Last edited by Conjure Lass; 08/22/13 03:54 PM.
BridYYC #784423 08/22/13 07:13 PM
M
Applicant
Applicant
M
the legion went out with a whimper...it was truly awful...not a single redeeming feature...no wait... Sensor with a Saturn girl lookalike haircut.....no ummm Invisible Kid with dreadlocks....ok no Gim in a hot new costume (ok give you that one) Gigi as some kinda power beetch...ok, i like Gims hot new costume. :-)

Last edited by Mind Bender Boy; 08/22/13 07:18 PM.
BridYYC #784424 08/22/13 07:17 PM
M
Applicant
Applicant
M
RIP the Legion....hopefully JLA 3ooo will be joining you soon.

BridYYC #784425 08/22/13 07:26 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Conjure Lass:

(would they call him Pulsar Stargrave again? HAHA!)

Well, they gave that name to a new character - Larfleeze's valet.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Mind Bender Boy #784435 08/22/13 08:01 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Mind Bender Boy
Gigi as some kinda power beetch...

"We have plans for you," says Gigi to Element Lad. What the heck is that all about?!

Re setting up the Legion for a 5 years Later scenario, let's add Dream Girl's major welcome back to Naltor. She's the only Legionnaire we've seen welcomed that way.

I wonder why they even bothered with Karate Kid's return at all. To throw the fans a bone after the butchering of Sun Boy, Star Boy and disappearance of Phantom Girl? Oh well, at least I can pretend to myself he is alive and well despite what others have said about him not interacting with anyone besides Jeckie.

And yes, what is up with the 3 founders (including Mr. and Ms. Responsible Cosmic Boy and Saturn Girl) on Winath? Heck, even retired Legionnaires Lu and Chuck came running back to help.

Injured Legionnaires - there's a female-looking figure beside Mon-El's tank. Dragonwing?

Harmonia as deputy. Frankly, I have a hard time believing that the Legionnaires would have voted her in as deputy when they know next to nothing about her. Unless she revealed her history to them behind the scenes. I have a hard time believing fans would have voted her deputy too though. Editorial choice? Well, she didn't do anything deputy leader-like in her term either.

I agree with the poster who said that Duplicate Damsel acted most like a Legion leader in this issue.

Colossal Boy was also written well, and I'm glad he reappeared. In issues like this, I enjoy the calmer and more professional Legionnaires (Lu, Chuck, Jan, Gim) than the emotional and argumentative ones (Jo, Tasmia, Brainy).

Chaim Mattis Keller #784440 08/22/13 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Chaim Mattis Keller
Conjure Lass:

(would they call him Pulsar Stargrave again? HAHA!)

Well, they gave that name to a new character - Larfleeze's valet.

Did they? I did not know that. Surely he's not as awesome as this: [Linked Image]

BridYYC #784441 08/22/13 08:33 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
He's not, but he's very sarcastic. That's worth something, at least.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Re: LSH #23 Preview and Review [SPOILERS!]
BridYYC #784442 08/22/13 08:37 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Nothing could top Levitz/Giffen's previous Stargrave story!

Attached Images Pulsar_Stargrave_(Pre-Zero_Hour)_004.jpg
BridYYC #784445 08/22/13 09:06 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Classic.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Eryk Davis Ester #784449 08/22/13 09:48 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Nothing could top Levitz/Giffen's previous Stargrave story!

This makes me smile and want to dig this issue out. Gonna do that this weekend. It'l;l take the sting out of the Legion being gone and Affleck being cast as Batman.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

BridYYC #784465 08/22/13 11:05 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Affleck as Batman, Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern before, what next: Robert Pattinson as the Flash?

Re the Stargrave story, heehee! Grandian Gender Reversal germs galore!

Conjure Lass #784468 08/22/13 11:27 PM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by Conjure Lass
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac

Ditto. The fact that this team is from Earth-2 (which I admittedly don't care much about) makes me care about this incarnation of the Legion even less than I did before. They are, essentially, forgettable. And it is plainly obvious that the Earth-2 "twist" was forcefully tacked on so that JL3K could be the NU52 "Legion".

What was most disturbing about this Legion of Earth-2 revelation is that since Levitz made real strides to assure fans that the Retroboot Legion was a contiunation of the Original Legion and his run in the 1980's, then this twist shoves the whole Legion and its 50+ years of history out of the official DCU/DCnU just so JL3K can be the official future of the DC Universe. What a sham!

BridYYC #784471 08/23/13 12:04 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
I choose to believe that this is a divergent Legion, and the original Earth 1 Legion is still out there somewhere. I also choose to believe that only the latest series is in the Earth-2 universe.

BridYYC #784481 08/23/13 04:38 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Over at Bleeding Cool News, someone suggested that Star Boy might have used his multiverse suit to escape being crushed by the debris.

Funny how we cling to this shreds of hope for imaginary characters, but that idea cheered me up a bit.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Leather Wolf #784485 08/23/13 05:24 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Leather Wolf

What was most disturbing about this Legion of Earth-2 revelation is that since Levitz made real strides to assure fans that the Retroboot Legion was a contiunation of the Original Legion and his run in the 1980's...

He did? Back when I dropped the book, he (or editorial) seemed to be doing everything they could to make sure that everything we thought we knew about the Legion's history was wrong.

---

As for the Earth 2 twist, I don't have a problem with it. The Retroboot Legion has sucked ever since Geoff Johns left... and now we don't have to ever care about them again.

Blacula #784487 08/23/13 06:19 AM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by Blacula

What was most disturbing about this Legion of Earth-2 revelation is that since Levitz made real strides to assure fans that the Retroboot Legion was a contiunation of the Original Legion and his run in the 1980's...

He did? Back when I dropped the book, he (or editorial) seemed to be doing everything they could to make sure that everything we thought we knew about the Legion's history was wrong.

---

As for the Earth 2 twist, I don't have a problem with it. The Retroboot Legion has sucked ever since Geoff Johns left... and now we don't have to ever care about them again.

Levitz wrote a letter to the fans editorial in th back of Legion #1 vol. 6 spelling out the true continuity of the Legion being everything from Archives #1-13 and beyond, his run in LSH vol. 3 ending #63, Action Comics #858-863, recent Adventure Comics #505-514 and Legion of 3 Worlds. Levitz told fans that his new stuff in LSH vol. 6, Aventure Comics #521-529, and by extension (since Legion was not supposed to be rebooted in New 52) Legion vol. 7 and Legion Lost vol. 2 would all be in official continuity. Given that Levitz's editorial spelled out official continuity for the Original/Retroboot Legion, everything we read from his hand recently, is official Legion history (including the occasional continuity glitches).

This is why the revelation in LSH #23 about Legion being from Earth-2 is so startling. DC Editorial shifted 50+ years of Legion history and continuity right from under us to make Justice League 3K the official future of the DC Universe. While it may be comforting to think that Levitz's run was just a niche Legion, Levitz' editorial in vol. 6 #1 begs to differ. I'm ok with that. I have to be, because I tend to believe that the Legion is finished at DC for a long time to come. They can have JL3K be their future now that my Legion collection is complete!

Last edited by Leather Wolf; 08/23/13 06:28 AM.
Leather Wolf #784490 08/23/13 07:31 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
I tend to believe that the Legion is finished at DC for a long time to come.

yes.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,167
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP