Roll Call
0 members (), 30 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Favorite Volume of the Legion of Super Heroes!
Fanfic Lady #785470 08/29/13 09:15 PM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
As for Levitz's writing on v2 and v3, I find it pretty much the same throughout, except for the last year-and-a-half (Conspiracy through Magic Wars), where I think there's a steep decline in story quality.

Is that a case of the John Byrne Superman reboot sapping the energy out of the series? or a combination of that & Paul Levitz burning out. In hindsight would it have been better to reboot the Legion at the same time as the Superman reboot?

googoomuck #785473 08/29/13 09:25 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by googoomuck
As for Levitz's writing on v2 and v3, I find it pretty much the same throughout, except for the last year-and-a-half (Conspiracy through Magic Wars), where I think there's a steep decline in story quality.

Is that a case of the John Byrne Superman reboot sapping the energy out of the series? or a combination of that & Paul Levitz burning out. In hindsight would it have been better to reboot the Legion at the same time as the Superman reboot?

I would have been fine with that.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Fanfic Lady #785489 08/29/13 10:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I thought Conspiracy was generally held in good regard? Been awhile since I read it.

Anything with Lightle and Larogue was high on my enjoyment list and the run of covers was astounding.

Running with LT's comments, I also can think of a few storylines that on my first read, not such a fan. One he mentions he still doesn't like but I now love would be the Blight storyline and Widening Rifts.

While 5YL was my vote, I believe another dark era as presaged by the destruction of the star gates would have killed the franchise AND cost us Lost, a terrific story.

googoomuck #785529 08/30/13 06:58 AM
Active
Active

I don't know if it was Paul Levitz burning out or Giffen coming on board with such horrible art and the complete redesign of all of the team's costumes that I hated most at the end of that run. Giffen's artwork really made it hard for me to look let alone read Levitz's storytelling. That's one thing I was thankful for in the Retroboot era, all of Giffen's costume designs had been replaced!

Fanfic Lady #785551 08/30/13 04:58 PM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
What's even funnier is that Mark Waid still defends the Threeboot, saying it didn't succeed because DC went all-retro just as it was launching.

Uh...no, Mark, it was a bad idea from the get-go. Simple as that.

Disclaimer: I'm generally a Mark Waid fan, but I'm still bitter that he effed up so badly...and that he ended the reboot continuity.

I'll second that. And I'll vote for the reboot when I see it on the list above.

Leather Wolf #785555 08/30/13 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Leather Wolf

I don't know if it was Paul Levitz burning out or Giffen coming on board with such horrible art and the complete redesign of all of the team's costumes that I hated most at the end of that run. Giffen's artwork really made it hard for me to look let alone read Levitz's storytelling. That's one thing I was thankful for in the Retroboot era, all of Giffen's costume designs had been replaced!

I agree with you 100%.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Fanfic Lady #785590 08/30/13 11:14 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Georgehaze
What's even funnier is that Mark Waid still defends the Threeboot, saying it didn't succeed because DC went all-retro just as it was launching.

Uh...no, Mark, it was a bad idea from the get-go. Simple as that.

Disclaimer: I'm generally a Mark Waid fan, but I'm still bitter that he effed up so badly...and that he ended the reboot continuity.

I'll second that. And I'll vote for the reboot when I see it on the list above.

I will third that. The Threeboot was completely unnecessary, and it turning into a wasted opportunity was just pouring salt on the wounds.

I agree with you 100%.

I agree that the art contributed, and I also felt less satisfied with those last few stories for some reason. There were also a lot of changes happening then, with what felt like the slow disintegration of the team (Shady and Mon, Quislet, Nura, Brainy, Mysa all departing in short order).

Leather Wolf #785648 08/31/13 02:33 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer

I enjoy the occasional costume change. I don't recall the specific changes in this case but I also don't recall particularly not liking the costumes in that era.

Eryk Davis Ester #786299 09/03/13 09:12 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
So, thus far, 41% of those polled prefer the 5YL/Reboot Legion?

Apparently, there's nothing like a threeboot and a failed reworking of the original to make people appreciate the reboot series.

Gotta love the irony!

Eryk Davis Ester #786301 09/03/13 09:55 AM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
The early reboot was fantastic, and the middle era wasn't bad either. It didn't start going south until after LSH # 100.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
Eryk Davis Ester #786302 09/03/13 10:00 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
For all of it's critics, that "era" did last a decade; far longer that the Threeboot or the current Levitz run.

Eryk Davis Ester #786309 09/03/13 12:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I think the Reboot had more extreme highs and lows than any other period in Legion history. The first two years of the Reboot are almost flawlessly fantastic and I will fight to the death anyone who dares to tell me different. The first two years or so of the DnA era (particularly Lost) are also some of the best Legion stories ever IMO.

But then you have the absolutely abysmal dreck that was a lot if the rest of it, in particular the Team 20 arc in LSH, both books after the Team 20 arc ended (especially the Dark Crap Rising period), and everything DnA wrote after Worlds.

I LOVE the Reboot, but there is a LOT I would have liked to see done differently too.

Eryk Davis Ester #786313 09/03/13 12:50 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
(Hey all you Postboot fans - check out the Re-Reading the Postboot Legion in my signature please! Would love to get a discussion going!)

I prefer the Reboot to any other volume, but that's partly because it's the Legion I grew up with. I also have to acknowledge that it wasn't perfect. Still, I'd argue it was a lot better than the Threeboot or the latter part of the Retroboot.

The portion after the Team20/30 arc was lackluster, but not flat out terrible. At least you didn't have Legionnaires getting maimed or killed, and there was still some character development.

The portion DNA wrote after Worlds could have been better. There were a lot of dangling threads, poor pacing, and a lot of irreversible transformations (Ferro can't iron down, Naga Sensor, Terrorform Zoe and the monstrosity that was Jarth) but nothing irreversible.

Eryk Davis Ester #786329 09/03/13 01:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I will never understand how two grown adults who actually make a living out of thinking up interesting ideas and turning them into compelling stories could *ever* have come up with a plot point like... <shudder> ... Jarth.

Georgehaze #786342 09/03/13 01:52 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Georgehaze
For all of it's critics, that "era" did last a decade; far longer that the Threeboot or the current Levitz run.

In a way, though it also had to be radically retooled halfway through because sales were in the crapper. If you split it into the DnA era and the pre DnA era, then they have about the same five year lifespan of every other post Crisis incarnation of the Legion.

Blacula #786379 09/03/13 09:32 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
The pre-DNA era may seem longer to some, because there were two monthly books being published then.

Originally Posted by Blacula
I will never understand how two grown adults who actually make a living out of thinking up interesting ideas and turning them into compelling stories could *ever* have come up with a plot point like... <shudder> ... Jarth.

Upon receiving every issue after Jarth and Terrorform Zoe showed up, I would turn the pages quickly in the vain hope that their transformations would be reversed frown

Eryk Davis Ester #787615 09/16/13 03:49 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
My pick is easily Vol 2, then Baxter, the first stories, then vol 6.

Five Year Leap was and still is too destructive and too negative in its stories and depictions of an optimistic future of heroic teens for me to care for. While it did have some points of interest (I enjoyed Mordru's zombies and the Khund Legionnaires) the fact is this series was totally built on the foundation of previous told stories but burned those bridges down as it 'progressed'. This storytelling style can only be short term at best and obligated the reboot that eventually came which is now an addiction the Legion has since been consumed by.

Last edited by Kid Quislet; 09/16/13 03:52 PM.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
Eryk Davis Ester #787727 09/18/13 03:52 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Gah! Can't choose, because I am...Indecisive Kid!

The Adventure Run gave us the core characters and concepts
The Superboy stores kept it all alive in the 70s.

The Levitz run (both 2 & baxter)brought depth, characterisation and subplots to everything.

The 5YG used the concepts of Adventure and built on the shoulders of the Levitz characterisation. But was derailed by fill ins and editorial.

Post Zero-Hour made it all fresh again.

Abnett & Lanning gave the book some edge back.

Waid took it out in a very new direction.

Johns brought the Legion back.

choices, choices...

Ah, but vol 1 is just some of the Adventure run, so that gets me off the hook there.

My favourite moments were in the 5YG. But the best run for me was the Levitz one. Since vol 2 will have some icky pre Levitz things in it, I'll have to plump for vol 3.

that...was...tough...

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Eryk Davis Ester #788220 09/24/13 01:48 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Voting ends tomorrow, for anyone who was intentionally waiting for the last minute or something.

Eryk Davis Ester #788489 09/25/13 04:20 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
A solid % of 5YG love, which is nice to see... even if that's not the one I went with.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Eryk Davis Ester #788490 09/25/13 04:29 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
I actually thought there might be one or two for the threeboot.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,107
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden