Roll Call
0 members (), 42 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by rickshaw1 - 05/03/24 09:15 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:13 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:11 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:10 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:07 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Re-Reading the Legion: Archives Vol. 8
Lard Lad #830356 12/04/14 11:10 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
I don't have time to do a full review of ADV 376 either, but I will say I've always had mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it's not a Legion story since most of the team doesn't do anything; on the other hand, it's nice to have a rare Chameleon Boy solo story.

The ending has also troubled me as it's always seemed too convenient. The Nadirians' marriage ritual just happens to look like an execution and Cham just happens to be yanked away at the wrong moment. However, the story does do a good job of pulling on the ol' heart strings as we feel Cham's sense of loss and outrage at his well-meaning teammates. I guess one thing Shooter does well is to show how well meaning ignorant intentions can be. The Legionnaires did what they thought was right, but it turns out it wasn't what their teammate wanted.

For that reason, I think I've grown to appreciate the story more than when I first read it.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Lard Lad #830365 12/05/14 12:01 AM
Leader
Leader
I've never cared much for this story. While I generally like Mortimer's art ok, I thought it was pretty weak here. Also, I've never been a big fan of solo stories, which is why I've always favored the Legion and other team books. I also felt that having Cham able to split into 2 separate parts to defeat the villain was a cheat and unnecessary to boot. And I didn't feel that this 2nd part of the story tied in with the first part at all, other than using the 7 stones as the deus ex machina du jour to "save" Cham at the end. I'd have much rather seen more interaction with the Wanderers instead.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
Lard Lad #830454 12/05/14 08:20 PM
I agree, Jim. The story does not build off of 375 but instead veers into another direction. It would have been great to see more of the Wanderers.

Lard Lad #830456 12/05/14 08:24 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Hell, it would've been great to see more of the Wanderers in 375, let alone 376!!

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Lard Lad #830457 12/05/14 08:30 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
My daughter is 12, and Adventure 376 is her favourite Legion story, but also the most frustrating to her. For the past two years I've had to put up with her stomping around the house after every time she finishes it (and she reads it frequently). "They were going to be MARRIED!" "Doesn't he EVER see her again?" "How could they do that to him?!?!" "I can't STAND it! He has to get back somehow!"

So for any criticisms you might have about it, Shooter does a pretty good job of pulling the heartstrings of a kid right in the target age for the story.

Last edited by Dave Hackett; 12/05/14 08:32 PM.
Lard Lad #830458 12/05/14 08:35 PM
Tell your daughter that while Cham never does see Princess Elwinda again, he does get to meet and date her double, Janice Warren.

Janice, however, appears only once and nothing comes of it, so on second thought . . .

Lard Lad #831119 12/08/14 12:11 PM
This is not an easy post for me to make, but I feel I have to.

I skimmed through the remainder of the Post-Swan/Pre-Cockrum stories in Showcase Presents Volume 4, and I find that there's almost nothing I like enough to comment on.

So I'll be, for the most part, sitting out the Re-Reads of Archive Volume 9 in its entirety, as well as the first few stories from Volume 10.

Sorry about this, but I think it's better to just be upfront about it than passively going through the motions.

But please, keep the Archive Re-Reads going, and I'll be jumping back in as soon as Cockrum arrives.

Lard Lad #831135 12/08/14 04:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm about to read #200 as the tub is filling up now. There were a few charms beforehand but the Cockrum-Bates stories were leaps better, if the dialogue a bit tough for me to enjoy from time to time.

Lard Lad #831344 12/11/14 02:31 AM
Active
Active
I've been wondering what issue was currently on the newsstands when the decision was made to kick the Legion out of Adventure in favor of Supergirl. It had to be one of the Win Mortimer issues right?

Lard Lad #831500 12/11/14 11:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Letters to the editor in the Superboy issues a couple times refer to the previous editor's executive decision so maybe?

Lard Lad #831986 12/16/14 06:11 AM
in hiding
in hiding
Win Mortimer was an excellent humor artist whose work was perfectly suited for strips like Stanley And His Monster and Swing With Scooter. Unfortunately, both those books (along with the majority of non-superhero books) were cancelled in the late 60s, leaving Mortimer to take whatever work he could get.

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
Lard Lad #832988 12/28/14 11:00 AM
Active
Active
One thing I find a little implausible about this issue is Chameleon Boy viewing Elwinda as beautiful. There's an old joke about bug eyed aliens & humans both recoiling in horror because they both view the other species as ugly. You could probably make the point that since Reep had been living in close proximity to other species that he's gained an appreciation of beauty in other species.

Also I never had a problem with WIn Mortimer art. For Silver age Legion artists I'd pick him over Pete Costanza or Jim Mooney any day. I also like how he drew women.

Lard Lad #833000 12/28/14 01:46 PM
Leader
Leader
I agree on your taste in artists, Googoomuck. I wish Costanza had never been allowed near MY Legion!

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
Cobalt Kid #833041 12/28/14 10:46 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Adventure #368

All in all though, not much to like. The ending also seems totally out of left field, talk about "boy that escalated quickly!" Suicide? The story truly doesn't hold up when the stakes feel so low to the reader but so high to the characters. It's too bad but Thora has had a much better, more dignified second life on Legion World.

To me, this issue and several others of Shooter's from this era seem to tightly evoke the pace,structure and style of late 60's episodic tv series. I guess this is more noticeable to me in comparision to Levitz most recent run that read like a jumbled mess. I wonder if Shooter watched much TV while growing up. Thora looks like she just walked off the set of third season Star Trek - and right into the Legion's version of "Spock's brain".

Shooter's endings also tend to evoke Star Trek - TNG this time where they would set up a really good concept for the episode and then realize they have only 5 minutes left in the episode so the writers have to suddenly wrap things up in the blink of an eye. Eventually he would get the balance much better in his handful of Action backups and 70's SLSH issues.

I think I remember reading in a Shooter interview long ago that this issue came about from a request from Mort for a guys vs girls story and to feature Supergirl prominently. It looks like Mort was making a big effort to use Supergirl in the later part of the Adventure run - maybe to keep the other execs at bay who kept pushing him for a solo Supergirl title?

Lard Lad #833043 12/28/14 11:18 PM
I hadn't thought of 368 being like episodic TV, but you're right, Colossal Boy. There is a feeling that it could be on any action TV series at the time (Man from UNCLE, for example).

This was one of the first two Adventure-era issues I ever owned. A friend gave both it and 372 to me, so it's hard to separate those positive feelings of wonder associated with it from a critical examination of the story. Still, I think Shooter taps into a rather universal boys vs. girls theme, and--particularly for boys growing up at that time--a fear of being outdone or upstaged by girls. This issue was published during the dawning days of Women's Lib, after all, when traditional gender roles were being called into question.

I'm also not sure that the stakes were low, as Cobie's review states. Thora's plan involved not only the girl Legionnaires taking over the Legion but also eventually leading women to take over earth, did it not? (I may have misremembered her plan.) Considering how the brainwashed girls treated the boys, her plot may have led to a violent revolution.

I've always seen this is a more serious version of 326's "The Revolt of the Girl Legionnaires."

thoth lad #833044 12/28/14 11:24 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally Posted by thothkins
Adventure #368

With this issue, there are only slight tweaks. Small changes that really add a lot of power. Luornu can create lots of duplicates, also providing a possible answer to why losing two bodies didn't kill her. Tinya can touch objects while phased. Something else else the Avengers' Vision used regularly. Salu could rival Colossal Boy in size while Tasmia and Ayla had the limits of their powers increased.

There's a bit of thought behind each of these and they all work effectively. Compare this with any number of "just because" powers and motivations elsewhere.

I like to think that, as mentioned for other heroes, Thora has unlocked the potential powers these Legionnaires possess. In future issues, we did get to see some of these Legionnaires develop similar abilities.

Despite sizing Brainy up as a mate in earlier issues, Tasmia isn't terribly bothered about the relationship being on an equal footing. It's Supergirl's genuine love for Querl that breaks Thora's spell. A fairly tale moment in a sci-fi setting.

The art from the Adams cover to Swan's interiors is excellent, adding so much to a story I enjoy more with each reading.

It's interesting to note that in-story there is no mention of Dream Girl's power being ramped up. I wonder if that was a sign that Shooter just did not care much for the character or that it Nura's power increased dramatically then she would be Spoiler Lass and the story would be over in one panel.

I'm also surprised that Shooter didn't try to get any of the power ramp ups to stick or other writers (until Levitz in 80's) didn't use this story as basis to ramp up powers down the road. For example Shooter would run this subplot of Lu feeling useless with her power only being able to split into two girls (I guess some letter column writers of the time had this view too). So while splitting into two may not be the flashiest power, splitting into 10's is a whole other thing.

Your comment about the fairy tale moment makes me wonder what it would be like for the Legion to visit the tv series "Once Upon a Time". Jeckie and Mysa would fit right in. Of course that will never happen since the show is owned by Disney.

One comment about the art - the cover restoration in this archive is absolutely horrible. It looks like someone either tried to redraw Adams' cover or took a low-res small scan and blew it up. Either way you end up with a really sketchy look and is no where close to the quality of the original covers.

Lard Lad #833045 12/29/14 12:50 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally Posted by Paladin
I finally got to read both parts last night. As I read 369, particularly, I couldn't help but feel I was reading the greatest individual issue of the Legion's Silver Age Adventure run! I mean, really, I just thought it clicked on all levels. 370 was really good, too, but it let down it's great opener to some degree.

I disagree with those who feel Swan's art suffers here with Abel's inks as opposed to Klein's. I thought Swan's art had never looked better...from that creepy splash with Mordru's face dominating the background to allthe great images in that "flashback" montage (including Mordru's shockingly S&M alternate look! lol ) to how lovely Shady looked with the outfit and hair she wore to fit in in Smallville. There's a panel I love that stands out for me on page 15 where Clark is removing his glasses with Bob in the background that is just so dramatic and perfect! I don't know if the material was just especially inspiring to Curt or if Abel just worked some mojo on him, but it just felt like the stops were being pulled out and Curt was branching away from his usual (though still always excellent) repertoire.

I mean, there appear to be some nods to Neal Adams in the splash and some inspiration from Kirby, particularly in his depiction of Mordru! Mordru's eyes are reminiscent of what Kirby might do, and there's that flashback image from the top panel on page 7 with Mordu gesturing as Mon and Kal reel that looks like a pose you'd see from Kirby or John Buscema. Some might be disappointed that one of the Silver Age masters might appear to be aping some of his peers, but I like it a lot. These are only apparent in certain spots after all, and Curt does plenty with his own style, as well. His work with the four leads is pure Curt, for example, and is remarkable in how all look distinctive beyond their particular hairstyles. Curt always imbued all of his characters with their own humanity and was a master of expressions and acting. I'm sure he was also thrilled that the cast size was so manageable in this tale as drawing so many characters was what he didn't like about being assigned to this feature (as is the case with many Legion artists over the decades).

Of course, Shooter also deserves credit for the look of these issues because, as always, he did layouts for them. In any case I think Shooter, Swan and Abel make for a bang-up combo, at least in this 2-parter. Looking back and forth between the Mordru story and the Thora story, I can see that Abel's inks appear significantly heavier than Klein's. To me, in this case at least, that's a nice change. Not in that it's SO much better, but in kind of an apples and oranges way. I like that Abel inks differently from Klein. Both are competent but bring out different aspects of Swan's lines. I noticed that Abel's influence on the characters' facial features, for example, sharpens them in an attractive way while Klein has a lighter pass at them (at least in the Thora tale).

I know this is a lot of space spent on the artistry, but that just goes to show how much of an impression it made on me in this storyline. I expect excellence always from Swan, but here, it bore mentioning because my expectations were exceeded and I really, vehemently disagreed that the art took a step down with Klein's departure. In this Mordru story, at least, I was blown away! nod

And as Cobie mentions, Shooter brilliantly uses this set-up to "check off" another Silver Age Legion trope, adventures in Smallville, for one of the last times. (I'd argue THE last time for the Silver Age as, in my mind, the SA ends for the Legion with the end of their Adventure Comics run.) And, as a Legion tale, I think this one stands way above any other adventure the Legion had in the setting. we've seen the Legion integrate into Smallville in various manners before, but never did it feel so immersive and important. They all truly feel like they become a part of the town and work together very well to protect it even as they have to protect themselves.

And I love how Lana and Pete become pivotal to the plot in part 2. Just as Smallville is being "checked off" memorably one last time, so are Pete and Lana in what also feels like their best uses in a Legion appearance. Honestly, seeing how well Pete, Lana and Smallville are used in service of the story here makes me wish that all those other stories weren't so largely formulaic in comparison! Lana, particularly, is so forthrightly heroic here--with all of her unlikable stalker-y attributes left behind--that I just ate up every bit of her panel time. I mean, even before she used her Insect Queen ring, she saved amnesiac Lu and Shady from Mordru's flunky--LOVED it! There was not even a snarky "HA!" when her suspicions about Clark are confirmed--all that mattered was the danger and how she could help.

If I remember correctly the splash page in Adv 369 is total Swan - pencils and inks.

I first read this story in the first Legion tabloid in the 70's and loved it. Plus I was very taken by the art and was again when reading in the archive. There's something about this combination of Swan/Abel and storyline that makes the art seem much more dynamic than Swan/Klein, which I love also. I guess in my mind Swan/Klein seems more late 50's ear;y 60's classic silver age to me and Swan/Abel here seems more proto-bronze age to me.

I also really enjoyed the Smallville sequences here. It's too bad Shooter or another writer did not get to do a Superboy/Smallville Marvel-style series as protrayed here instead of the usual Mort gimmicks and such. I would have been all over that. That being said, Shooter did have a lot of craziness (beyond Mordru) going on in Smallville here - gangsters, Smallville in space, you name it.

One downside was that Shooter rushed the story wrap up in #370 again. No mention of how Smallville gets back to earth, the citizens reactions to the events, etc.

One other thing is more time travel related story beats to give the reader headaches. So apparently Mordru can move through time with ease but he never thinks in-story of going back in time to defeat the Legion before they first imprison him or going back in time to prevent Superboy and Mon-El from being born or any of that.

Cobalt Kid #833047 12/29/14 01:50 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Adventure 371-372

This is another story that just mesmerized me when I first made an effort to discover the Legion. It combined a few things: the novelty of tightly connecting past continuity (with the LOSV, Brin, Condo, young Mekt, etc) and the novelty of a modern LOSV, while also being a damn good story spotlighting a rarely used Legionnaire in Colossal Boy--and in a high stakes, nerve wracking way!

Bouncing Boy shows up, and it stands out since as Lardy mentioned, we hardly ever see him. Also notable is Saturn Girl, who has been strangely absent since Shooter took over; noticeable since she was the lead actress of so many earlier stories. The panel where Chuck substitutes for Val at the Academy surely influenced Levitz decision to give Chuck that role later. (And as an aside, even though Val still feels new at this point, it had been over two years and Academy Instructor is a role that fits him.) Chuck comes off as a true friend, a role that always suits him.

Yay, Condo! Seen at last--and we better enjoy it, because there aren't too many of these moments to come!

The story wraps up way too fast, which is one complaint. On the last page we get the cavalry arriving, Luornu logically beating Nemesis Kid, the battle ending, Gim's parents being saved, Gim readmitted to the Legion and then Brin and Condo joining. Whoa. What did Mort promise two extra pages and then reneg?

You make a good point on Saturn Girl. Something else else I've noticed as I've read on past these issues is how rarely Shooter used Imra in a story. Now Shooter was never the best at rotating characters for an even balance (his use of Chuck here will lead to a rash of more appearances in Adventure and the Action backups. But Imra doesn't seem to get much love from Shooter. Maybe he didn't care for the character as Saturn Girl seems to be the Legionnaire most neglected during Shooter's run.

Great to see Chemical King join the team. One thing to note there is that Condo's costume here pretty well matches the way he looked on the cover of Adv #354. But as soon as Mortimer takes over the art, he starts drawing Condo in some weird thing that looks like a green gunny sack.

The Swan/Abel art here is good but uneven compared to the Mordru storyline. I think with the reprint issue thrown into the mix, there were some deadlines in the mix and Swan being moved suddenly to another title, so #372 was a rush job by Swan.

As mentioned, here's another example of a super rushed ending to a big story by Shooter.

One thing that I've never cared for with this storyline was the portrayal of the Legion Academy as being some massive entity training apparently 100's of men in boot camp fashion. I much prefer the later take on the Academy as more of a charter school for a select number of super powered students. The portrayal here just makes the Legion more of a bureacracy instead of a bunch of like minded individuals banding together to save the universe and do their own thing.

Fanfic Lady #833048 12/29/14 02:17 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady

[quote=Paladin]I don't know all the politics behind the decision to pull the plug on the Legion--I assume sales were dropping?--but it's incredibly hard to believe the book was hemorrhaging readers after being so popular and the quality SO high!! shake

I don't know, either, but I'm speculating it might have had something to do with all the layoffs at DC. Believe it or not, Mort Weisinger was also "let go", albeit with the proverbial golden parachute. Maybe nobody felt they could execute the Legion the same way as it had been by Weisinger, so rather than cancelling it, they downgraded it.

Awwww...thanks, Lardy. smile

The story I've seen reported in multiple places was that (1) Mort was wanting to retire and agreed to stay on for 1 more year (2) the execs wanted a Supergirl solo book from Mort and (3) Mort was in one-foot-out-the-door mode and didn't want to add another title to his workload.

So get to the execs off his back he flipped the Legion over to Action and Supergirl over to Adventure. So the Legion lived another year in Action and then when Mort retired for good, the Legion was kicked to the curb along with other stuff in Mort's toolchest.

At the same time this was 1969-1970 (and I am speculating as I was not around then) and many of DC's titles were experiencing low sales due to (1) competition from Marvel and (2) not keeping up with the rapidly changing times and looking dated.

In the case of the Legion, even though Shooter was telling Marvel-like stories, to me the stories looked more late 50's - early 60's in appearance - dated costumes, hairstyles, etc. So it could be that Legion was not bringing in younger readers in 1969 in enough quantity to replace the readers who were "growing out" of reading comics. And of course there was a huge generation gap between the young Shooter and the retiring Mort and his editor peers.

Lard Lad #833049 12/29/14 02:38 AM
Reservist
Reservist

I definitely feel your pain! nod

I think what it amounts to for me is that while I don't regret the great joy those X-Men comics gave me, it sucks that I decided to sacrifice all the DC books I'd collected in the prior years. Especially so because DC, though they were an innovator in the TPB format, have done an incredibly SHITTY job collecting material dating between the Bronze AGE thru much of the '80s! If you aren't classic GL/GA & Neal Adams this or that or New Teen Titans or a few other scattered super-high profile runs, chances are you've never seen a print beyond the original floppies!

Much of the stuff I want to rediscover via color trade or hardcover is simply NOT available, be it Flash from the death of Iris-on, DC Comics Presents, latter-day Brave & the Bold, the dollar-issue runs of Detective, Action and others, much of Curt Swan's latter-year run on Superman and so on! Even a lot of great Batman stories by writers like Wein and artists like Colan and Newton are only JUST RECENTLY getting handsome collections!!! DC is leaving a freaking GOLD MINE boarded up!

Comparatively, Marvel is doing a SUPERIOR job collecting their older material! Just like your Peanuts books, the X-Men collections are readily available while those old gems from DC's Bronze Age are practically NOWHERE to be found!!!

And I certainly didn't have the understandable dilemma of moving to another country! I was an IDIOT selling those great books for practically nothing! Really--I could just SLAP my younger self!!! mad

My aoologies if this has already been mentioned :

The lack of bronze age reprints by DC is due to reprint royalty contracts in place during the tenure of Jeanette Kahn. Prior to her initiatives, there were basically no creator royalties for reprints, so that's one reason DC reprinted golden/silver age stories willy nilly like they did back then.

In the mid 70's today's reprint/trade/digital market was no more than a pipe dream. Stories were rarely reprinted (outside of reprints within comics) in trades, so to inspire creators to up their game, Kahn instituted a plan that if a story did get reprinted in trade the creators would be rewarded nicely.

Around the time of CoIE (I think) DC redid the reprint royalty contracts so the contracts were more flexible going forward. But that left stories from mid 70's - mid 80's being hampered by the old contract.

So in today's marketplace where everything is reprinted no matter the potential sales, reprinting a lot of Bronze Age comics became unfeasible from a cost standpoint due to these old contracts that would break the bank now. This is why it is rare to see any Archives of bronze age material unless a sure sale (the most recent Legion archive being an example). And the showcases and color reprints of other bronze age material are either where the creators have passed on or have worked out an alternative royalty agreement with DC.

Cobalt Kid #833050 12/29/14 03:24 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Adventure #373

As the Silver Age moved on and Marvel's inter-connected universe proved a huge success with fans, DC started to take notice and used many of the same tricks. As always, the Superman titles didn't need to be a part of all that since Uncle Mort ruled over his kingdom with an iron fist. But finally at the end of the Silver Age, as Mort's power waned, that began to change (though it wasn't until the 70's that Superman truly became enthralled in the rest of the DCU, often masterfully done by Cary Bates). And all that trickling down finally comes to a rare LSH connection to a franchise beyond the Supers.

The Tornado Twins were always largely forgettable to me, except someone figured out a way to get Barry and Iris out of the total fiasco that was the trial of the Flash was to get them to the 30th century--where the Twins might actually have been their children rather than their descendants. That little tidbit inspired Mark Waid to use them to create XS and Impulse, and that finally was a worthy payoff to the promise of the characters.

But for the most part, I don't like the Twins, and the old bit about the jerk playing a trick on the hero / heroes while secretly doing it in good fun is something that the series and DC in general has moved past. By the late 60's that concept had lost a lot of its charm.

J. Winslow Mortimor comes on as ongoing Legion artist and the difference from Swan is striking. He does a satisfactory job, with nothing really too bad to complain about, but the art is lacking the pop and dynamic that we've grown accustomed to. It's also scratchy in places and that is jarring. It will take some time getting used to.

The beginning shows the Legionnaires briefly having their downtime interrupted: Dirk and Tinya at school, Jan ditching his beard girlfriend, a nice scene showing the Clark / Brainy friendship, and a nice sequence with Val and Jeckie as Shooter continues to build their romance--which is a lot steamier when Jeckie is sans cape since her costume basically looks like sexy lingerie then.

From there we get an old fashioned "new character(s) acts like jerks" which never was a favorite of mine the first 5 times around. And then the action leaves a lot to be desired: Tinya hit from behind? Val tossed around by a robot? Random green-K falling on Superboy? It doesn't add up and Jeckie plays the damsel yet again.

I don't mind the panel hogging from Val at all, since I know this is really his one great era. But he doesn't come across well here, picking a fight with Don just because he's a jerk.

The concept of feeling you're no longer needed is a good one, even if it's difficult to watch. But it's a fine line to not make your heroes look like whiners and quitters. Here, I feel the story strays too far into that territory. This is a familiar trope in Superboy's stories, and there are a dozen or more good examples how to do it right. I wonder if Shooter, who as we've seen in our reread appears to be exploring many classic Superboy / LSH ideas one last time, ventured into this territory as part of that process? If so, he should have stuck to what he does best and leave this type of story to Leo Dorfman or Jerry Siegel.

All in all, this is one of the weaker issues in Shooter's run. Perhaps not as bad as the Thora issue but close.

One inspiration for Mort's Super-verse was Fawcett/Captain Marvel back in the Golden Age - from Mary, JR, the Lts all the way down to Marvel Bunny.

I am not a huge fan of Mortimer, but he has his moments. Other times he just gets lazy like how he draws Karate Kid's uniform. But one nice thing he did do was give Phantom Girl a new hairstyle and do away with that bizarre 1940's (?) hairdo that Swan always drew. One small step towards modernizing the look of the Legion.

I wonder if this issue came about due to some kind of trade, bet, etc between Mort and Julie Schwartz where they did a soft crossover between their universes/domains. I was also surprised that the Twins didn't get to keep their powers at the end of the story.

Cobalt Kid #833051 12/29/14 03:44 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Adventure #374

In her review, Fanfie really nails it with this story: a mediocre job by Shooter rendered into something worse by awful art courtesy of Win Mortimor. There are some positive things that please me as a longtime member of Legion fandom, but they are peripheral and don't change that this one is a lemon.

I can't really think of anything off hand by Mortimor besides his LSH stuff, so I'm not in a position to question his whole career. But whatever was going on with him at the tail end of the Silver Age wasn't good, because the art here is just bad.

The story itself, with Scorpio capturing the Legionnaires to battle Taurus is overly complex for the room allocated it. By the end you've got Scoprio, Taurus, Zoltorus, the other temporary chief, Brande, McCauley...whew! An interesting choice, for sure--I applaud the unusual pacing; but unfortunately it causes the story to feel lumpy. Perhaps with Swan this would have felt like a beautiful, failed experiment that still is a lot of fun. With no artistic support, the flaws are laid bare to see.

It isn't a total wash, though: we get to see Supergirl, Jan, Nura and Tenzil---all underused in recent years. I wonder if that was mandated from the top down? If so, that's never a great way to get a writer enthusiastic. Regardless, Dream Girl comes off well, especially her quick thinking to take Mystletor's place. A very capable, clever Legionnaire, that one.

I'm a big fan of Taurus and their somewhat obscure multi appearances. I remember starting a thread to that effect back in 2005 or 2006. I wish they had been used more thereafter; Black Mace is just too cool a moniker / visual not to show repeatedly. All that is an aside though--merely a side effect of being an LSH fanatic for so long. They actually don't come off so great here and aren't very memorable, beyond the barest hints.

My interpretation of Quanto is the same as Tracker's (though given Shooter's later work, I can see where Fanfie is coming from). I'd have loved to have seen a Quanto follow up a few years later, possibly explaining his mysterious home planet he hints at.

The Subs show up too, and by now those appearances have become few and far between. I like that, though it's already a pretty overcrowded story. The same pro & con apply to Leland McCauley, who makes his first appearance. But back to the Subs, I do like that they contribute nicely to the complete victory at the end.

This definitely a kitchen sink story for Shooter - way too much going on for the allotted pages. I'm not sure but this may have been a rush job for him as at some point late into the Adventure run he got busy with school and faced some deadline crunches.

Lots of odd things in this issue too, starting off with Vi and Colossal Boy trying to be "movie stars". And then the extremely lame ways the Legionnaires are captured - Chuck in a net, Brainy in a cargo arm (but with his hands and mind free, Lu going "eek! what good are two of me against an army" and just stands there.
It makes me wonder if ENB helped Shooter out of a bind and finished up his story. Something else else else puzzling is that Condo and Brin are captured off-panel in a way that makes me also wonder if this story was started before the LSV issues and just saw publication now for whatever reason.

Colossal Boy #833057 12/29/14 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by Colossal Boy
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady

[quote=Paladin]I don't know all the politics behind the decision to pull the plug on the Legion--I assume sales were dropping?--but it's incredibly hard to believe the book was hemorrhaging readers after being so popular and the quality SO high!! shake

I don't know, either, but I'm speculating it might have had something to do with all the layoffs at DC. Believe it or not, Mort Weisinger was also "let go", albeit with the proverbial golden parachute. Maybe nobody felt they could execute the Legion the same way as it had been by Weisinger, so rather than cancelling it, they downgraded it.

Awwww...thanks, Lardy. smile

The story I've seen reported in multiple places was that (1) Mort was wanting to retire and agreed to stay on for 1 more year (2) the execs wanted a Supergirl solo book from Mort and (3) Mort was in one-foot-out-the-door mode and didn't want to add another title to his workload.

So get to the execs off his back he flipped the Legion over to Action and Supergirl over to Adventure. So the Legion lived another year in Action and then when Mort retired for good, the Legion was kicked to the curb along with other stuff in Mort's toolchest.

At the same time this was 1969-1970 (and I am speculating as I was not around then) and many of DC's titles were experiencing low sales due to (1) competition from Marvel and (2) not keeping up with the rapidly changing times and looking dated.

In the case of the Legion, even though Shooter was telling Marvel-like stories, to me the stories looked more late 50's - early 60's in appearance - dated costumes, hairstyles, etc. So it could be that Legion was not bringing in younger readers in 1969 in enough quantity to replace the readers who were "growing out" of reading comics. And of course there was a huge generation gap between the young Shooter and the retiring Mort and his editor peers.

I'd never known the full story before, just speculation and the odd comment here and there. Thanks, Colossal Boy.

Lard Lad #833082 12/29/14 12:20 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Adventure Comics #376

Our splash page shows that Shooter Esq has been reading all the classics Mort had been giving him.

The opening pages give us the definite answer that the Legion's champion wasn't Bouncing Boy, provides us with a flashback to last issue and gives the team a way of figuring things out. All through the device around having Brainy try and figure things out.

There's usually an odd feeling when reading an older comic where the writer has gone to lengths to bring the new reader up to speed. These days you're just dropped somewhere in the middle of a mega event.

A 30th century lad in King Arthur's court fills the next three pages, as we're introduced to the beings who summoned their Legionnaire champion to face Kodar. I've never been terribly impressed with them, as they have little personality beyond their one trick weapons. We're shown that this world's Merlin uses technology, but it's a pretty bleak looking place if you're a serf. In a world of 3d TV (yay Legion being ahead of it's time) you still have to work a spinning wheel, but now you get radiation poisoning from it too.

It's a pretty bleak looking place if you're Elwinda too. She's to be forced into marriage regardless of which way the contest goes. It's either to Kodar or to whichever other dimensional champion falls out of a portal. Reep gets a hard enough time when his disguise is revealed. But it could have been Slug Boy from Sagittarius she'd be taking vows with.

So, the locals learn that forced marriage can be a bad thing. But only because they didn't do any arranging beforehand. >slap< Smitten Kitten Cham, who has broken through class and racial barriers to spend some quality time with Elwinda, tries to get to the fight anyway. But he's stopped and imprisoned.

The King tries to come up with a plan to appease Kodar. Probably something about going to the same Klan meeting or having things in common like hating democracy and women. But it's too late and Kodar attacks. The atomic horses are cute, and each side displays big letters to make sure everyone knows where they stand. No mercenaries here.

It's only when Cham is accidentally freed in the battle that he can help Elwinda. Even with deeat imminent, Alt+Arthur doesn't want to lose his daughter to the Durlan. Considering that Cham was reluctant to get involved in the first place, he could have just asked Elwinda to go with him and leave the others to fight it out.

But Cham chooses to be the champion, and defeats Kodar using some odd versions of his powers. Earlier, it's shown that he can't turn into a Phantom. But in the final fight, he can turn into chains, and separate bits of himself off to imitate other things independently.

Cham wins the day and Elwinda's fair hand. Elwinda seems keen too which is convenient. But then Cham falls for the old "our ceremony includes pretending to decapitate you" line. He may be bitter about it when the Legion brings him back alone, but these were the guys who were calling him an orange freak a few pages ago. Would you have trusted them?

Brainy has sealed off the dimension with a force field, that he oddly can't ever turn off. Brainy also reveals that there are "millions of dimensions" opening up the multiverse.

Having lost his true love Cham storms off to wait for Jeryl to be created.
Not one of my favourite issues. The round table counterparts are very basic and neither side comes across as worth helping. The technology in an a medieval setting was probably fresher back when this was written but came across as a little child like.

A little better were the class and race don't matter lessons. There was a little bit of angst for Cham to finally feel loved, only to lose it.

In an unpublished epilogue, it turns out that Kodar was also just acting as a champion. His employer was a pretty decent bloke who opposed Alt+Arthur because the round table stood in the way of democracy. With that swept away they used Alt+Merlin's technology to create a better world for everyone. They have three kids now, one of whom they called Reep. Kodar sailed through anger management sessions and began helping others overcome concepts of feudalism.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Colossal Boy #833195 12/30/14 10:03 AM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by Colossal Boy

It's too bad Mort didn't make E Nelson Bridwell a full fledged editor of one or more titles & give Supergirl a solo title. That also seems counter productive you'd think the execs would want to add a title to increase sales across the board.

I still remember buying Adventure #381 thinking that I was getting the Legion. Even though it had Supergirl on the cover and didn't have Featuring Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes printed underneath the Adventure Comics logo I still associated the title with the Legion.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,095
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden