Roll Call
0 members (), 45 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 09:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 05:30 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Stories that have ended your interest in Legion characters
Fanfic Lady #825002 10/14/14 08:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
lol

I don't post a lol after every thothkins post, but I usually want to.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Fanfic Lady #825037 10/15/14 09:15 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Shady with Earth man made a bit of sense to me. One of things that turned me off of Shady and Phantom Girl was when the would put Timber Wolf down. They came off as snobs. “Ooo look at us we are dating the most powerful men on the team.” Kinda like nasty cheerleaders dating the Quarterback and team captain of the football team. With Shady it makes sense to go to Earth Man because she is attracted to powerful men. To her his confidence was an attraction and power-wise she felt he was only second to Mon-El, who she couldn’t have anymore. Also Ultra Boy was taken. After those two I can’t see who she would consider next. Wildfire is not an option, and I think she views physical power over mental power as being better.

Fanfic Lady #825039 10/15/14 09:18 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Interesting analysis, WangLung. She certainly has been attracted to some of the most accomplished men in the Legion.

I remember her being attracted to Brainiac 5 way back in the Adventure Era. maybe she skipped Brainy because she didn't think he'd be interested at all.

Fanfic Lady #825046 10/15/14 09:30 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I think something like that is what they were going for, but it still doesn't make her come off any better that she would date a despicable human being just because they were one of the most powerful members of the team.

Legion Tracker #825080 10/15/14 01:14 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Considering a European dynastic approach, there is the need to continue the lineage of hereditary champions. How much that affects Shady's choice of prospective partner varies between readers.

But there are considerations to such a lineage other than raw power. Earth-Man fails on many of those levels, and has little to offer.

Unless of course the shadow cave on Talok is where you take your mate to produce said hereditary champion. Inside the cave, the giant Spider of Shadowed Webs accepts the sacrifice of the mate following consummation of the pairing. In a case like that, Earth Man would be a fine choice.

Originally Posted by Legion Tracker
lol I don't post a lol after every thothkins post, but I usually want to.

All too often even on those where I'm not trying to be funny smile Cheers mate. wink

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fanfic Lady #825106 10/15/14 06:20 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Okay. Vi. Yeah, I know, but she was teenage hottie in the legion. Beautiful, quiet, smart, a little shy it seemed.

I hated that they "turned" her gay. It didn't play real to me. Sure, some people have hidden it for years, but as a teenager back then, well, I just didn't like it. Then she became a bit of a bitch for a while, and then it seemed like the lady was completely lost for warrior battle lesbian.

Don't hate, I don't hate gay people. They could have had any other female become gay and I wouldn't have had a problem with it. They just picked one of the two legion ladies that I really liked. The other being Jeckie.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Fanfic Lady #825130 10/15/14 10:49 PM
Active
Active
I agree that Shrinking Violet and Lightning Lass's lesbian relationship seemed forced, especially with the history Ayla had with Timber Wolf. Brin had no reaction to her new sexual orientation or relationship. That was surprising given how he reacted when they broke up. I just couldn't buy in to this romance, and it turned me off on Lightning Lass.

Shrinking Violet was a different story. She was more of an empty slate relationship wise, and I could buy into the idea that she might be bisexual.

Other Legionnaires that Levitz could have brought out of the closet in a more credible manner included Polar Boy, Invisible Kid II, Tyroc, Magnetic Kid and Matter Eater Lad. In the Retroboot era Dragonwing, Harmonia and Chemical Kid all could have been gay. They had no continuity of romance to dismantle.

Lightning Lass and Shrinking Violet's sudden lesbian romance though seemed unrealistic.

Last edited by Leather Wolf; 10/15/14 10:50 PM.
Fanfic Lady #825142 10/16/14 12:17 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
"By today's standards" and "thin slice of life" I guess are two things I try to keep in mind, just to keep sanity when reading Legion. We don't see everything about every character's life so when a writer decides they want to take an established character and "change" it to some character the writer apparently wanted to write but can't be bothered to write their own book, I kind of complain but roll with it. When they change nearly the entire Legion, I complain mightedly.

So, if there's no indication that someone WASN't a particular way, I suppose it's fair game but I don't have to like it.

With Vi and Ayla, I was pretty tired of Brin being so whiney so I had NO loyalty to that relationship. I didn't recall any reason that either Vi or Ayla had any singular view of love and sexuality and I thought it depicted naturally enough so this relationship didn't bother me. It gave good character moments. Overall, a positive for me.

Fanfic Lady #825144 10/16/14 12:22 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I was okay with the Ayla/Violet relationship. Like with rick, I didn't quite like the Violet with a big chip on her shoulder. I preferred the sweet Violet. Although, given the sens-tank incident, I can understand why her personality changed.

Fanfic Lady #825153 10/16/14 08:04 AM
Reservist
Reservist
I think it was more the sense tank than anything else. I wonder though that if it was a guy feeling the same way would some feel the same about them? A man showing the same things is considered tough and heroic, a woman is considered a bitch.

Fanfic Lady #825156 10/16/14 08:12 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Personally, I would probably consider the guy a bit of an asshole. If he acted the same way that Vi did, I mean.

Fanfic Lady #825180 10/16/14 12:26 PM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
When Shvaughn Erin became Sean Erin.

A totally pointless attempt at 'diversity-for-diversity's-sake' and ruining a perfectly fine strong female character in the process.

Shame on you DC.

Fanfic Lady #825190 10/16/14 01:39 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
On the Vi/ Ayla romance, it seemed to take absolutely ages to move forward. Every now and again you'd see their feelings shift, but it did happen over a lot of issues.

As Ibby said, I think the senstank, and feeling a bit abandoned by her colleagues, made Vi reassess what she really wanted from her life. I quite like that there were bumps along the way with that.

As for Ayla, she clearly loved Brin. But as BB said, we don't see everything. Specifically, her relationship was never explicitly stated to the readership, as DC clearly didn't want to come out and say it. So Brin wasn't likely to be seen having a conversation about something he couldn't have a conversation about.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fanfic Lady #825193 10/16/14 01:42 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I think the relationship worked really well 5YL, where the two had had time to mature and realize what they meant to each other.

The retroboot version of it, by contrast, felt really forced. And I'm not sure how anyone could love a Vi that would spit upon the corpse of an enemy.

Fanfic Lady #825196 10/16/14 01:43 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
And speaking of Vi, the Emerald Vi storyline largely turned me off the postboot version of the character.

Fanfic Lady #825219 10/16/14 02:27 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I didn't like the Emerald Vi storyline at first, but I felt that Violet redeemed herself during the Mordru battle.

Fanfic Lady #825228 10/16/14 03:00 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Wang, a man that acts like Vi did during those times when I said she acted like a bitch, he gets the asshole douche label. We've all met guys like that, an over inflated sense of ego, accomplishement, what have you. Basically, ahole braggarts and would be alpha males that simply aren't. Take away whatever "power structure" it is they exist in and they are pretty much worthless.

I don't like either set. Rosie O'Donnell sets my teeth on edge, and Donald trump is just a jacked up asshole frat boy. I just didn't like where they took the character and she's never really recovered since to me.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Fanfic Lady #825229 10/16/14 03:03 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
The Emerald Vi storyline never affected me as I have never had any interest in Vi in any of her incarnations.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
rickshaw1 #825238 10/16/14 05:07 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
Wang, a man that acts like Vi did during those times when I said she acted like a bitch, he gets the asshole douche label. We've all met guys like that, an over inflated sense of ego, accomplishement, what have you. Basically, ahole braggarts and would be alpha males that simply aren't. Take away whatever "power structure" it is they exist in and they are pretty much worthless.

That sounds just like Threeboot Ultra Boy!

By the 3rd issue of the Threeboot I had written him off as a character.

Also see Preboot Atmos.

Fanfic Lady #825247 10/16/14 06:09 PM
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
Legion Lost Element Lad. When he was revealed as the "Big Bad," (I don't even remember the actual character name), I couldn't get past it. I mean, yeah, they gave him some motivation by having him in a similar time-loop as the Infinite Man, but we've seen other heroes in similar situations (Superman and Wonder Woman in ACTION COMICS #600 comes to mind), and they've come through it without turning into insane villains. It just colored all previous appearances of that version of Jan.

Watching television is not an activity.
Fanfic Lady #825263 10/16/14 10:57 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
It was certainly a jarring change. Personally I found it believable, but only because of the sheer length of time that Jan was lost. I don't think it would have worked with the Preboot Jan either.

Fanfic Lady #825279 10/16/14 11:54 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Postboot Jeckie, when they turned her into a snake. You know... her first issue. wink

Georgehaze #825282 10/17/14 06:11 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Originally Posted by Georgehaze

A totally pointless attempt at 'diversity-for-diversity's-sake' and ruining a perfectly fine strong female character in the process.

Shame on you DC.

I think Shvaughn's story would have been much better and more powerful if she'd transitioned to fulfill her own identity and not as some lame verging on creepy attempt to snag Jan. It may have been well-intentioned but that whole story plays into the 'transgender = mentally fragile predator' trope. You could still show that she was scared of telling Jan all these years for fear of losing him and him being completely accepting but I think it makes a more compelling story if she really does identify as a woman and got back on the profem. As it is, that whole story has no more gravitas than Legionnaires being turned into babies for an issue. It trivialises a really important issue and turns it into a hokey silver age comic.

Re Ayla and Vi...Levitz's idea of lesbians as aggressive man-hating bitches who had their hearts broke by a boy is ridiculous but it gave us the best relationship of 5YL so I can't hate it too much smile I actually really liked that it was never even raised as an issue in the 5YL Legion...in 1000 years I'd really hope society would have advanced enough that sexual labels would just be some quaint relic of less developed worlds and people can consensually shag whomever they want be they boy, girl or telepathic fishy thing wink

razsolo #825284 10/17/14 07:55 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
Originally Posted by razsolo
Originally Posted by Georgehaze

Shame on you DC.

I think Shvaughn's story would have been much better and more powerful if she'd transitioned to fulfill her own identity and not as some lame verging on creepy attempt to snag Jan.....

Couldn't agree more.

I'm lucky enough to have a good friend who has 'transitioned' and, when I brought up the question to her, informed me that whoever wrote this didn't know that much about transgenderism.

On the plus side, I think that I may have turned her on to the Legion. So... one more reader on the team!

razsolo #825316 10/17/14 01:44 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Levitz's idea of lesbians as aggressive man-hating bitches who had their hearts broke by a boy is ridiculous

Oh come on, it's not as though Vi got involved in bombing loads of Braalian men or something...oh wait, never mind...

.. and people can consensually shag whomever they want be they ... telepathic fishy thing wink

Tellus more, razsolo.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,091
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden