Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 09:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 05:30 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Stories that have ended your interest in Legion characters
Fanfic Lady #825318 10/17/14 01:59 PM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
Hmmmm....

"Shagging" a telepathic fishy-thing....

What happens in the 31st century, stays in the 31st century

Fanfic Lady #825321 10/17/14 02:17 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Temporal Tours Presents: Tropical Time Bubble Breaks to Hykraius...

We wont Tellus, if you don't!

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fanfic Lady #825346 10/17/14 05:20 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
It's the pods. Chicks dig the pods.

I can't think of a story that turned me off a Legionnaire....I wasn't wild about Shady and Hitler-Man hooking up or Tinya's horrible horrible turn as leader, but if the book had lasted long enough I know someone would have redeemed them eventually. I am usually happy to just wait for a better writer when good comic characters go bad. Oh wait, I really didn't like Gigi in the latest run who went inexplicably from perky to hardass. Let's just say every character from that run to save words tongue

Fanfic Lady #825377 10/18/14 04:47 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Although at the time I really didn't understand the full scope of how awful a story it was I think Bounty being a de-winged Dawnstar is an absolute travesty.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Georgehaze #825408 10/18/14 10:06 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Georgehaze

On the plus side, I think that I may have turned her on to the Legion. So... one more reader on the team!

Whoo! Score one for Legion fandom!

Fanfic Lady #825606 10/20/14 04:40 PM
Reservist
Reservist
The reason the Alya/Vi relation ship took so long is because there was NO relationship other than friendship. Levitz said he at first had no intention of them being a couple. That was all in readers heads. Later on because of readers they were made into the couple everyone thought they were.

There's not much other than 5yl that ruined characters for me. 5yl ruined the whole legion for me.

Fanfic Lady #828679 11/19/14 06:42 PM
R
Honorary
Honorary
R
Mark Waid's decision to reboot the whole Legion for no particular or apparent reason couple with what he gave us, that put me off the Legion; DnA were having a great run, they're lowest selling issue sold more then twice that of Waid/Kitson's highest selling issue, not that sales justify anything, but its worth noting that when something isn't broke, don't try to 'fix' it. Add to that the redesign of most of the legionnaires that was just not very legion-ish and often very uninspired (Light Lass looked like she ought to have been re-named UPSshipment girl or 'this side up gal' for grife sake. I tried to read it. I really really did. But all i could think of was what might of been, DnA were doing a lot with the Legion - and they were taking what McGraw did which was just sort of like bad fan fiction and turning out great story and 'poof' it all went a way.

so sad.

Then came Geof Johns and the Legion got awesome again.

Fanfic Lady #828919 11/21/14 07:50 PM
And then there was steak!
And then there was steak!
The threeboot legion spoiled LOSH for me for TEN YEARS. I literally did not come back until halfway through the retroboot. As I've mentioned in the past, I literally sat with tears in my eyes watching my favorite characters get wiped out of existence only to see them replaced with SHAMS.

...i'm still a little bitter about it.

Fanfic Lady #828920 11/21/14 08:01 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Conjure Lass, if you haven't looked at this thread already, I think you might enjoy it. Thanks to Invisible Brainiac, the Postboot Legion lives on:

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=98243#Post98243

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Fanfic Lady #828937 11/21/14 09:02 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Aww, thank you for the plug, Fanfie! It means a lot smile

Fanfic Lady #829046 11/23/14 10:01 AM
W
Honorary
Honorary
W
I believe Duo Damsel was revealed to have each of her separate selves more "in love" with either Chuck or Superboy. Not sure, but think it might have been in that revenge against Trapper story. Without a specific plan to make herself useful, I guess it was not the best idea to participate... but she had relatively more "super-powers" than Batman or Robin.

I was turned off to most Legionnaires by Five Years Later. That was what they seemed to want, I suppose. It was awful. At the time, I preferred reading L.E.G.I.O.N.

I think the Sean/Jan point was to get Jan back to the traditional gay roots, first revealed by Jim Shooter. Vi/Ayla was a good idea, but so dumb and long... and when it was obvious, why cared? The aforementioned could have easily been bisexual, too.

After 5YG, I would pick Jan becoming a Satanic figure and killing Monstress. Up to then, I thought they had finally done a good "dark" Legion.

Also awful was Jeckie as the Snake. I can't understand why it's so difficult to just introduce new non-human-types...they already had some they could have brought back.

Fanfic Lady #829064 11/23/14 05:47 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Sensor would definitely have been more acceptable if she hadn't been a rebooted Projectra. And they left Quislet and Tellus out in the cold, though I suspect it was partly because of duplication of powers - Saturn Girl for Tellus, and Kinetix for both except that Kinetix can manipulate matter without it falling apart!

Sensor PrincessProjectra
Quislet Tellus
SaturnGirl1 Kinetix

Fanfic Lady #829065 11/23/14 05:58 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Only times I recall dropping LSH would be the end of DnA, after the first issue by the fill-in and I realized it was just fill-in, not Legion. S-Prime resulted in a drop and I recall picking up an issue which had Earthman and immediately having the book removed again from my pull list.

Other than that, pretty much survived 50 years of mostly up and occasionally down.

Fanfic Lady #829098 11/24/14 03:09 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I dropped LSH in the Threeboot, around issue 35 or so. By that time I had almost stopped caring about what would happen. I did eventually read until the end of the run, but I almost regretted doing so.

Invisible Brainiac #829123 11/24/14 04:06 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I dropped LSH in the Threeboot, around issue 35 or so. By that time I had almost stopped caring about what would happen. I did eventually read until the end of the run, but I almost regretted doing so.

Which one was threeboot?

Fanfic Lady #829127 11/24/14 05:45 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
The Legion series after DNA ended. Here's the Wikipedia page.

Fanfic Lady #829137 11/24/14 06:14 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I managed to get to the end of the 5YG run. It was pretty poor by then. I didn't last too many issues into the reboot. I can;t swear my last issue was the death of Kid Quantum, but it certainly played a part in me not picking it up for much longer.

It was close enough to the old Legion that I really didn't want to read it all over again. At the same time, the differences grated because they were taking the characters away from the original run. In other words, there was no pleasing me there. I didn't dislike it, or hate it or anything. It just wasn't my team.

I picked up a handful of reboot issues along the way, but it had dropped down the pull list, so I wasn't picking it up regularly.

I lasted a whole issue of DnA. It was Legion #1. Now if they had relaunched it with the Blight, I'd have probably have kept buying it.

I lasted a couple of issues of Threeboot. It's a bit better going back and reading them all together, but it didn't really get out the starting gates for me.

Reading any JLA/Legion crossover was just painful. I'm not a big fan of fragments of a story splashed across umpteen titles I'm not going to buy. Oh, that sounds familiar...

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #829142 11/24/14 06:57 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer

Oh right. Love Kitson's work but I didn't sign onto that version till near the end, Bedard's, Shooter's and then when Shooter got DnAed, Justin Tyme.

Last edited by Blockade Boy; 11/24/14 07:00 PM.
Fanfic Lady #829152 11/24/14 09:04 PM
Active
Active
Giffen's horrible redesign of all of the Legion's uniforms back in vol. 3 just before Magic Wars was more than I could take. The Legion had superb stable artwork for several years, but when Keith Giffen returned at the end of Levitz's run, the artwork drastically changed, all the uniforms were revamped, and poor Polar Boy was blamed for the in-story changes. At that point I walked away from the Legion for 20 years except for buying a sample issue here or there.

Blockade Boy #829156 11/24/14 10:57 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by thothkins
I can;t swear my last issue was the death of Kid Quantum, but it certainly played a part in me not picking it up for much longer.

That would have been a scant three issues in smile But certainly long enough to get a feel for whether it is "your" Legion or not.

Originally Posted by Blockade Boy

Oh right. Love Kitson's work but I didn't sign onto that version till near the end, Bedard's, Shooter's and then when Shooter got DnAed, Justin Tyme.

I also liked the art, and the first two years or so were fairly enjoyable, but it was just not my Legion. And around issue 30 or so all the infighting and immaturity just got old.

Fanfic Lady #831323 12/10/14 07:49 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Harmonia Li was doomed from the get-go likability wise. To discover that she could easily have stopped the destruction of Titan made her character despicable and the furthest thing from a Legionnaire, to me.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Fanfic Lady #831325 12/10/14 08:15 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I was never terribly interested in Atmos, but after his fling with Dreamy was retconned into him having used some sort of creepy mind-control powers on her, I was ready to see him fly into a wormhole and never be mentioned again...

Pretty much every Legionnaire has had a story somewhere that I didn't like (Sun Boy's had more than his fair share, as has Brainy), but liking a character that's been around for fifty some years and been written by over a dozen writers, some of whom had wildly different ideas about their characterization, means that it's inevitable that there will be stories that don't suit my own personal canon.

But few writers are so atrocious that they can poison my interest in a character with a bad scene or bad story or even bad years-long run.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,091
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden