Roll Call
0 members (), 20 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/02/24 12:15 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/02/24 11:41 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/02/24 11:40 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:09 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:07 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:01 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 10:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Battle for the Championship of the Universe!
#832313 12/20/14 06:05 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
Back by popular demand (okay, one person said he'd be kind of sort of interested in playing again, but that's good enough for me) we bring you the 3rd edition of BATTLE FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP OF THE UNIVERSE.

If you've not played before, this is a "who'd win?" scenario game, in which you pick the winner in each randomly selected match-up of Legion characters. The majority pick of all people playing advances to a second round, and so on, for eight rounds, taking up from 247 characters down to just one, who shall be declared, "The greatest hero of them all!"

Each might was chosen via use of the Planetary Chance Machine (actually on online random number generator), as were the fight locations, the latter being the first 124 settings picked by the PCM from 247 entered.

For what it's worth, I am also currently running this game in the APA's KLORDNY and APA-LSH. For those I prepared a .doc file and my original intent was simply to upload that here. However, it proved to be too large, and trying to get it to display from Dropbox of Google Drive also proved troublesome. Possibly because I use an older Safari browser, but I figured if I had trouble reading my own file, others might to. So, if you do what a copy of that doc (basically, it's just what's listed below plus headshots of each character, email me at duke.harrington@gmail.com and I will send you the file directly.

To play the game, please post your chosen winner in each of the 124 "fights" in the thread below. Be sure to note the special instructions for the final, 124th "fight." Feel free to discuss why and how certain characters might win or lose. That is part of the fun of this game after all. I'll compile the results from among all entires posted by midnight on New Year's Eve and start Round 2 on New Year's Day.

Note: If you have a particular setting you'd like to see in future rounds, please let me know and I'll add it into the PCM mix, if it's not already.

The first list below will be the raw list of match-ups. After that I will post descriptions of each fight (in batches of 10 per post) to make clear which version of each character we are dealing with. If it is not made clear, please assume it is the classic preboot/unboot version.

Thank you and have fun!

FYI, the tentative schedule for the game runs thusly:
o ROUND ONE, posted Dec. 20, 2014 — 124 fights between 247 characters.
o Midnight, Dec. 31, 2014 — First Round picks and predictions due.
o ROUND TWO, posted Jan. 1, 2015 — 62 fights featuring 124 characters.
o Midnight, Jan. 15, 2015 — Second Round picks and predictions due.
o ROUND THREE, posted Jan. 16, 2015 — 31 fights featuring 62 characters.
o Midnight, Feb. 1, 2015 — Third Round picks and predictions due.
o ROUND FOUR, Feb 2, 2015 — 16 fights of 32 characters, including one loser from the last round.
o Midnight, Feb. 15, 2015 — Fourth Round picks and predictions due.
o ROUND FIVE, posted Feb. 16, 2015 — Eight fights featuring 16 characters.
o Midnight, March 1, 2015 ¬— Fifth Round picks and predictions due.
o ROUND SIX, posted March 2. 2015 — Quarterfinal Round. Four fights with eight characters.
o Midnight, March. 15, 2015 — Quarterfinal Round picks and predictions due.
o ROUND SEVEN, posted March 16. 2015 — Semifinal Round. Two fights featuring four characters.
o Midnight, April 1, 2015 — Semifinal Round picks and predictions due.
o ROUND EIGHT, posted, posted April 2, 2015 — THE CHAMPIONSHIP (One fight between two characters, plus a bronze medal contest featuring the two losers from the last round)
o Midnight, April 15, 2015 — Champioship Round picks and predictions due.
o THE CHAMPIONSHIP, posted April 16, 2015 — Winner announed, contest review, award ceremonies.

Re: Battle for the Championship of the Universe!
Portfolio Boy #832314 12/20/14 06:08 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
ROUND ONE

1. KRYPTO-9 Vs. MAGNO, on Krypton.
2. “URK” Vs. SHIKARI, on Throon.
3. DYNAMO-BOY Vs. CHAMELEON GIRL, in Brainy’s Lab.
4. PLANT LAD Vs. SPIDER-GIRL, on Arbro.
5. RADION Vs. THE MESS, on Inanor.
6. “FALSE-PRETENSES LAD” Vs. VARIABLE LAD, on Bismoll.
7. KARATE KID II Vs. MWINDAJI, on Steeple.
8. ANTENNAE BOY Vs. MAGNETIC KID, on Brogg.
9. SHIFT Vs. CHEMICAL KID, on Lost World.
10. COMET Vs. KARATE KID, on Thaun.
11. JEYRA ENTINN Vs. INFECTIOUS LASS, on Vannar.
12. NIGHTWIND Vs. INFERNO II, on Zwen.
13. ULTRA BOY Vs. SUPER-BIRD, on New Shanghai.
14. NIGHTCRAWLER Vs. OTAKI, on Naltor.
15. EVOLVO-LAD Vs. KINETIX, on Murra.
16. BOUNCING BOY Vs. BLACKOUT BOY, on Althar.
17. AMP GIRL Vs. FERRO LAD II, on Antares.
18. STREAKY Vs. PETE ROSS, on Rorbis.
19. DRAGONMAGE Vs. LODESTONE, on Elia.
20. SILVERWING Vs. GRAFT, at Starhaven.
21. GOOGAL Vs. ATOM GIRL, on Colu.
22. TIMBER WOLF Vs. IMPULSE, on Superboy Planet.
23. OCTUS Vs. BRAINO, on Tombor.
24. FIRE-LAD Vs. MAGNO BOY, on Vorn.
25. SATURN QUEEN Vs. ELEMENT LAD, on Mlain.
26. LEETA-87 Vs. BRAWLER, on Pasnic.
27. ANDROMEDA Vs. FLEDERWEB, on Braal.
28. LAMPREY Vs. CHLOROPHYLL KID, on Kathoon.
29. LIGHTNING LAD Vs. GREEN BOY, on Manna-5.
30. TAROT Vs. ATOM’X, in Kwai space.
31. LIGHTNING LORD Vs. LIFE LASS, in 20th century Smallville.
32. DEV-EM Vs. Mr. MXYZPTLK II, on Weber’s World.
33. VRAX GOZZI Vs. WILDFIRE, on Zyzan.
34. NEON Vs. POWER BOY II, on Tenazor-4.
35. ULTRA-MAN Vs. HARMONIA, on Paradise Planet.
36. ENERGY BOY Vs. DARTALG, on Io.
37. NEMESIS KID Vs. GREEN LANTERN, on Trom.
38. KRYPTO Vs. THOOM, in the Nine Planets Ice Cream Shoppe, Metropolis.
39. THE M’ONELVES Vs. GRAVITY KID, on Orando.
40. ARGENT Vs. DUPLICATE GIRL, on Europa.
41. METALLICA Vs. VEILMIST, on R-K528.
42. TELEKINESIS Vs. LEX LUTHOR II, on Myar.
43. DOUBLE-HEADER Vs. NERVOSA, on Simballi.
44. KID PSYCHO Vs. THE UMBRA, on Sklar.
45. MICRO LASS Vs. KID QUANTUM II, on Korr.
46. BLOCKADE BOY Vs. WHIZZY, on Dryad.
47. CATSPAW Vs. M’RISSEY, on Olo.
48. BLOODCLAW Vs. ECHO, on Jaquaa.
49. BATMAN Vs. SUPERMAN-X, on Zerox.
50. MONSTRESS Vs. BLOK, on Tharr.
51. WEIGHT WIZARD Vs. TELLUS, on Hajor.
52. GAZELLE Vs. SHADOW KID, on Triton.
53. WESTERNER Vs. LAUREL KENT, on Ventura.
54. SENSOR Vs. QUESTAR, on Luna.
55. FIREFIST Vs. CELEBRAND, on Imsk.
56. MENTALLA Vs. MEMBRAIN, on Jupiter.
57. MOG YAGOR Vs. METROX, on Cargg.
58. IMPULSE II Vs. KROMAK, on the Puppet Planetoid.
59. POLAR BOY Vs. BRAINIAC 5, on Preztor.
60. TUSKER Vs. SUPERGIRL, in the Extal Colony.
61. VISI-LAD Vs. INVISIBLE KID, on Vondra.
62. PRINCESS PROJECTRA Vs. ELASTIC LAD, on Robotica.
63. THE CHAMELEON Vs. CHEC, on Femnaz.
64. PSYCHE Vs. DRAGONWING, on Hykraius.
65. ROND VIDAR Vs. TRIO, on Bgztl.
66. QUANTUM QUEEN Vs. POLECAT, on Rambat.
67. INSECT QUEEN Vs. CRYSTAL KID, on Somahtur.
68. WILDSTAR Vs. NIGHT GIRL, on Sirius Station
69. TRIPLICATE Vs. ENERGAX, on Titan.
70. ELVO Vs. COMET QUEEN, on New Xenn.
71. XERA Vs. ORINTHO, on Brande’s Planetoid.
72. NIMBOK Vs. DUPLICATE BOY, in the Interplanetary Bank.
73. SUN BOY Vs. SPIDER-BOY, on Korbal.
74. QUETZAL Vs. TITANGIRL, on Vorn.
75. BLAST-OFF Vs. COSMICBOT, on Mars.
76. RANN ANTAR Vs. QUAKE KID, on Venus.
77. PHASE II Vs. LESTER SPIFFANY, on Avalon.
78. BEAST BOY Vs. TYROC, on Corvan IV.
79. ANTI-LAD Vs. TRIAD III, on Oranz.
80. COLOR KID Vs. COSMIC KING, on Linsnar.
81. DREAM BOY Vs. SHADOW LASS, on Shanghalla.
82. LIGHTNING LASS Vs. QUISLET, on Oa.
83. INVISIBLE KID II Vs. “SUPER-PHRENOLOGY LAD," on Tartarus.
84. CHEMICAL KING Vs. STORM BOY, on Silvan.
85. FLATLINE (Ron-Karr) Vs. IMPLICATE GIRL, on Thanar.
86. GRAV Vs. GALAXY, on New Tortuga.
87. SIZE LAD Vs. GATES, on Veruna.
88. SPIDER-BOY 2099 Vs. COLOSSAL BOY, on Almeer-5.
89. HATE-FACE Vs. AVATAR, at the Interplanetary Post Office.
90. DEMON DAMSEL Vs. PHAETHON, on Apokolips.
91. MNEMONIC KID Vs. BEHEMOTH, on Lallor.
92. RETRO Vs. CHAMELEON BOY, on Fwang.
93. IMMORTO Vs. GAS GIRL, on Thar.
94. MATTER-EATER LAD Vs. REFLECTO, on Vanishing World.
95. STAR BOY Vs. CALAMITY KING, on the Blight homeworld.
96. STONE BOY Vs. MANDALLA, on Asteroid ZYX.
97. SUPERBOY Vs. SPLITTER, on Winath.
98. PHANTOM GIRL Vs. THUNDER, on Marzal.
99. WORMHOLE Vs. FORTRESS LAD, in the Fortress of Solitude.
100. BRAINIAC 417 Vs. TURTLE, at the Interplanetary Zoo.
101. SUPERBOY II Vs. KONK!, on Khundia.
102. CAMERA-EYE KID Vs. KONO, on Tyrraz.
103. X-BOMB BETTY Vs. SHAPE, on Zadron.
104. PROTY II Vs. TYPHOON, on Lurna.
105. SILVER SWORD Vs. INSECT QUEEN II, on Bizarro World.
106. DAWNSTAR Vs. COMMAND KID, on Durla.
107. VARA, Vs. MAGNETIC KID II, on Talus.
108. GEAR Vs. BEPPO, on Takron-Galtos.
109. MON-EL Vs. CANNUS, on Maltus.
110. PARTICON Vs. KID QUANTUM, on Medicus One.
111. SATURN GIRL Vs. EARTH-MAN, on Murgador.
112. ATMOS Vs. COMPUTO II, at Metropolis Spaceport.
113. WHITE WITCH Vs. DAV, on Daxam.
114. SIZZLE Vs. SAVITAR, on Myrnah.
115. KRYPTON GIRL Vs. POWER BOY, at Nullport.
116. LUME Vs. COSMIC BOY, on Geequo.
117. TOMB Vs. ANIMAL LAD, on Xanthu.
118. TARA Vs. FERRO LAD, on Rimbor.
119. XS Vs. RAINBOW GIRL, at the Metropolis Time Institute.
120. CALORIE QUEEN Vs. REFLEX, in Kandor.
121. ESTIMATE LAD Vs. BABBAGE, on Quarantine.
122. SHIFT II Vs. GOLDEN BOY, in Weisinger Plaza, Metropolis.
123. EYEFUL ETHEL Vs. DREAM GIRL, on Canopus.
124. PORCUPINE PETE, on “Andal.” (Yes or No on if Peter can last the night without calling to be rescued)

CONSOLATION PICK: Choose one of your losers to advance in Peter's place, should a majority decide he'd be unable to last a night alone.

Last edited by Portfolio Boy; 12/20/14 06:59 PM.
Portfolio Boy #832315 12/20/14 06:09 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
ROUND ONE

1. KRYPTO-9 (of 853rd century Earth) Vs. MAGNO (Dyrk Magz of Braal), on Krypton.

For this one we travel back in time to before Krypton blew up. The red sun is a tough draw for Krypto-9, but he can still amplify his power to the ninth degree. Is nine times a normal dog a match for Dyrk’s magnatism? Consider, of course, that Magno was good, but no where near as great as either Krinn brother, and lacked a certain degree of self-confidence to boot.

2. “URK” ([unknown] of [unknown]) Vs. SHIKARI (Shikari Lonestar of the Kwai), on Throon.

Urk is the Legion Acadamy student about whom almost nothing is known. The name is simply the only sound he’s ever been known to utter. However, based on the many times he’s been seen cheerily chomping away on the guts of some mechanism or other, we can presume his powers are of the classic mechanically-fixated gremlin variety. That may come in handy on Throon, where two old men man a giant citidel armed with neutralizing force projectors and giant robots, aimed at keeping others off their world. Urk has a good a chance as any Legionniare of penetrating the citidel and/or bringing down the robots, and he’d probably be pretty good at laying low in the jungle that surrounds the fortress. Still, he won’t be able to hide long from Shikari’s pathfinding power and her body armor and razor claws are bound to make Urk one unhappy little gremlin, if caught.

3. DYNAMO-BOY (Vorm of New Tortuga) Vs. CHAMELEON GIRL (Yera Allon of Durla), in Brainy’s Lab.

It’s a good location for both combatants. Vorm’s power belt converts ambient energy to a variety of uses, and there’s bound to be some freaky forces in Brainy’s lab with which to work. Meanwhile, the places Yera can hide inside the lab, and the havoc she can wreck upon it, are almost endless. My question, will Vorm become too distrracted wondering what priceless devices he can lift from the lab to fight effectivly?

4. PLANT LAD (Noyt Echad of Simballi) Vs. SPIDER-GIRL (Sussa Pak of Earth), on Arbro.

The world of the Tree-Men is about as perfect a draw as Plant Lad could hope for, giving him much-needed mobility (tree men are able to pull up roots and walk around upon reaching maturity), as well as a crowd he can blend in to (there are a LOT of them, thanks to Chlorophyll Kid!), when employing his floronic-based shape-shifting ability. But Spider-Girl has cunning and guile to go along with her invulnerable, super-eleastic, prehensile hair. So, this one could go either way.

5. RADION (Roy Travich of Earth) Vs. THE MESS (Meyer Qayd of Earth), on Inanor.

Inanor, a world described by the Invisible Kid of the “Smallvile” universe, boasts a city called Mechago, where all normally inanimate objects, including buildings and machines, are alive and intelligent. That should allow Workforce member Radion to use his power to emit atomic radiation with impunity, without fear of harming nearby humans. However, with everything up and walking around, with nothing nailed down, The Mess has plenty of ammunition to work with when attracting matter to himself. He only needs to maneuver Radion between himself and whatever surpised sofa comes flying his way.

6. “FALSE-PRETENSES LAD” (Jan Jor of [unknown]) Vs. VARIABLE LAD (Oaa Tseldor of Jaquaa), on Bismoll.

We don’t know Falsie’s power, but my working theory is that he’s the preboot Praetor Lemnos, which would give him the abilty to wipe minds of all memory of his presence. Therefore, he may well have been a Legion member long before discovered and sent to prison in Adventure Comics #327, he just made us all forget he was part of those stories. Think of him as The Silence, from Dr. Who. Variable Lad, however, is a walking H Dial, which should give him the edge, so long as he can remember who he’s fighting. I don’t see what advantage Bismoll might impart to either combatant. All food is poisonous there, it’s true, but this fight shouldn’t go on long enough that either Variable Lad or Blindspot — let’s call him that, if you buy me theory on his identity — will need to call a time out for lunch.

7. KARATE KID II (Myg of Lythyl) Vs. MWINDAJI (Gahiji of Kirinyaga), on Steeple.

Steeple is a monastary world, where a small band on monks meditate on the harmonic state of the universe. I always thought the planet would’ve made a great place to reboot Tyroc, but, alas, he was never to be a part of that reality. The question is, will Karate Kid II willingly disrupt the prayers with boisterous battle? Meanwhile, Mwindaji is a tracker, which seems an unproductive power, in this case. After all, I’d think actually finding Myg would be about the lat thing he’d want to do. Find him or not, however, I’m not sure how he pulls this one off. It’d seem a gimmie for KKII.

8. ANTENNAE BOY (Khfeurb Chee Bez of Grxyor) Vs. MAGNETIC KID (Xaxan of Murra), on Brogg.

Brogg is a jungle world, on which space pirates squirreled away their booty, using holographic projections of strange beasts to scare others away. That’s lucky for Antennae Boy because Magnetic Kid’s power is to attract and repel non-ferrous ojects, but most of what might serve as ammunition on Brogg is rooted in place. Also, Magnetic Kid’s power comes from a pill and is only temporary. Thus, if Antennea Boy can manage to avoid Magnetic Kid long enough — which shouldn’t bee to heard given that he can literally hear the Murran coming from a mile away — he’ll face a powerless foe. What’s more, because his super-hearing works across time and alternate dimensions (remember, he heard the re-election of JFK), Khfeurb should be able to eventually overhear some useful tip on how to take Xaxan out of the competition. But, then again, if Magnetic Kid can get close enough to Antennae Boy to draw him near, it’s all over but the crying.

9. SHIFT (of 75th century Durla) Vs. CHEMICAL KID (Hardu Jamik of Phlon), on Lost World.

The last time we saw Lost World, Superboy, Mon-El and Ultra Boy had moved it into a cosmic cloud, never to be seen again. Being mind-swapped with Hitler, Nero and Dillinger didn’t sit well, it seems. The world was devoid of life, but full of strange, powerful machines built by the super-scietific race who created the wandering planet. That should give Chemical Kid lots of machiniery, and not a few remaining power sources, on which to work his power to speed up and slow down chemical reactions. However, the deserted city also presents the shape-changing Shift with plenty of places to hide, as well as staging points from which to launch surprise attacks. This one could be interesting.

10. COMET (Biron of 8th century BCE Earth/20th cen. Earth) Vs. KARATE KID (Val Armorr of Earth), on Thaun.

This one presents a dilemma. I mean, would Karate Kid really hit a horse, even a super-horse? Meanwhile, all we know about Thaun is that it was said to be an unlucky planet. However, we do know that Comet is immune to superstition, based on his triumph over the Luck Lords, so he’s unlikely to be affected by whatever makes others so wary of the place. You sort of want to presume Karate Kid could win this one pretty easily, but it seems to be one of those fights in which the outcome could surprise. Might we have an upset in the making?

Portfolio Boy #832316 12/20/14 06:10 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
11. JEYRA ENTINN (of Titan) Vs. INFECTIOUS LASS (Drura Sehpt of Somahtur), on Vannar.

Jeyra was one of the threeboot Wanderers. Titans sometimes specialize in various forms of telepathy, such as mind control or empathy, but I seem to recall she was just your basic run-of-the-mill mind reader. Drura, on the other hand, is a walking petri dish. However, her ability to control viruses and bacteria to make people sick does require a certain level of proximity, like, say, the distance of a good strong sneeze. Jeyra, on the other hand, can presumably work her powers from a distance. A lot may depend on whether this fight occurs on the sunny side, or the dark side of Vannar, given each half of the world is perpetually in one or the other. Vannar, you may recall, is the world once ruled by the tyrannical Sun Woman, until Night Girl administered a much-needed time out in the form of a good, old fashioned bitch-slap.

12. NIGHTWIND (Berta Syke Harris of Earth) Vs. INFERNO II (Sandy Anderson of Mercury), on Zwen.

Nightwind always struck me as level-headed and nice, maybe even a little bit of an introvert. Inferno, on the other hand, is a screaming bitch-on-wheels. Wind versus fire could go a couple of different way, depending on how clever you think either combatant may be. Nightwind seems more intelligent, but she did spend a LOT of years in the Academy and only got her crack at the big leagues when the team was cracking apart. Inferno seems more street smart, but she’s no grand strategist. It’s hard to imagine how this particular setting might play into the fight, especially if Stone Boy’s race happens to be in hibernation mode when the battle begins.

13. ULTRA BOY (Jo Nah of Rimbor) Vs. SUPER-BIRD ([unknown] of [unknown]) on New Shanghai.

We don’t know a lot about Super-Bird. Okay, we actually know NOTHING about Super-Bird, save that Uncle Mort listed him as a member in one of his lettercols, and told us to keep any eye out for his adventures. We’re still waiting! So, we don’t know what species of bird me might be, or what his powers are. Presumably, its powers would be akin to those of Super-Cat, Super-Dog, Super-Horse, and Super-Monkey. But, maybe not. My pet theory is that its an Omnibeast from Jungle King’s Legion of Super-Monsters, able to adapt to travel in any environment. Of course, in the domed city of New Shanghai, one of the remnants of Earth after it blew up (as planets in the 30th and 31st centuries are wont to do )there wouldn’t be many places for a super-bird to travel. I’m thinking give this one to Jo, but maybe you can reason out an upset?

14. NIGHTCRAWLER (Baalshazzar of [unknown dimension]) Vs. OTAKI (Bina Nawoti of Earth), on Naltor.

Keep in mind, this is the original Nightcrawler from Dave Cockrum’s Outsiders proposal, so no bamfing about. This version has enhanced speed and strength, as well as night vision, but his real power is the ability to disappear into even the slightest shadow. Naltor tends to be rich in temples, or at least nice places to take an impromptu nap, so there’s probably a lot of nooks and crannies for him to fade into. Also, given that he’s a demon from another dimension, Academy student Otaki could have trouble reading his mind. However, she may not be an actual telepath. She’s from Earth, not Titan, and her power was listed in the book as “mindsense,” whatever the heck that means. I don’t recall that it was ever made entirely clear. My belief, until someone proves me wrong, is that she’s more of an empath than a telepath, sort of a living lie detector, rather than a mind reader. Certainly, it would seem she does not possess mind control powers on par with Saturn Queen, or even Mentalla. So, good luck, ‘Taki!

15. EVOLVO-LAD (Sev Tcheru of Lallor) Vs. KINETIX (Zoe Saugin of Aleph), on Murra.

Sev’s auto-evolutionism might work out on Murra, where the inhabitants all looked to me just one half-step above Cro-Magnon. Then again, advanced to his 10th-level max, he might be able to work out how to repair the damage Element Lad once did to the Murran’s super-power-pill-making machine. Let’s specify that this Kinetix is the original version, not the cat-tailed elf, and certainly not that Gollum terrorform thing. She could probably get the Murrans to stop Evolvo Lad just on hotness alone, and then stay on to live as their queen, so the setting would seem to favor her in this fight.

16. BOUNCING BOY (Chuck Taine of Earth) Vs. BLACKOUT BOY (Graah of Murra), on Althar.

Speaking of Murrans, Blackout Boy’s pill-enabled power to nullify light might come in useful on Althar, either in the abandoned prison used by SP Commissioner Wilson in his attempt to learn which Legionnaire might crack under pressure, or in the jungle that surrounds it. Good ol’ Chuck, on the other hand, doesn’t have a lot of solid things to bounce off of in the forest, and would be working in a confined space within the prison. With or without being able to see, he might have a tough row to hoe on this one. But then again, Graah never had much time to practice his power, so he’s probably not terribly effective in its use. Murrans also weren’t shown to be the brightest bulbs in the U.P. In fact, I’m not convinced they even made that super-power pill machine on their own.

17. AMP GIRL (Ming Sul of [unknown]) Vs. FERRO LAD II (Douglas Nolan of Earth), on Antares.

Okay, Antares is the name of the star, not the planet. But Proty’s people, despite their fight for recognition as sentient beings, apparently never thought to name their little world, so how bright can they be, really? Academy student Amp Girl has the ability to amp up her senses and reflexes. Being really good at bloody knuckles is great when your opponent is made of iron, but Dougie’s not going to stop at merely trying to rap Ming on the hand. Meanwhile it’s not clear to me how she might inflict damage on him at all. However, keep in mind that Ferro Lad II has a power of extra-dimensional perception, and the Proty Planet, given its whole deal with Kid Shoehorn, is at kind of a nexus point in the multiverse. So, it’s possible that Doug could end up too distracted picking from among alternate Legions to really fight effectively.

18. STREAKY (of 20th century Earth) Vs. PETE ROSS (of 20th century Earth), on Rorbis.

Sometimes even a random number generator knows how to stage the perfect fight. I mean, Streaky the super-cat, one of the great wonders of the Weisinger era (as in, I wonder why he thought THAT was a good idea!), against Pete Ross, who’s only power, apart from abnormal ingenuity, is super-loyalty. So, you’ve got two Silver Age stalwarts battling it out on the planet that hosts the Interplanetary Rodeo, an event which features spectacles such as kangabronc races and dinosaur-throwing contests! Brother, as mid-‘60s goofiness goes, this one practically writes itself. I’m not even going to try and predict a winner. All I’m going to say is have fun with it!

19. DRAGONMAGE (Tao Jin of New Shanghai) Vs. LODESTONE ([unknown] of 75th century Braal), on Elia.

The Dominator homeworld uses a plant-based technology, which wouldn’t seem to bode well for Lodestone, given that it presumably means fewer things made of metal for her to fling around. Still, Dragonmage isn’t exactly renown for advance preparation, which is kind of a necessity for spell-casters. On top of that, neither one of these combatants boast much in the way of experience, and less in training. Hell, Double-Header has logged more time in the field than these two! Frankly, I see both combatants ending up captured by the Dominators and set aside to become the first members of Batch SW-7.

20. SILVERWING ([unknown] of 75th century Renii) Vs. GRAFT ([unknown] of 75th century Durla), at Starhaven.

Given the amount of cannon-fodder Wildfire recruited for his future Legions, it's not surprising that a couple, at least, would end up squared off against each other in Round One. I'll be honest, I can't seem to lay hands on those "Dead Earth" annuals at the moment, and I wasn't able to Google up much on the characters, so I'm not certain what Silverwing's powered are, apart from having wings. But even with that alone, she should have a homefield advantage of sorts at Starhaven, home to Dawnstar's people. Of course, Graft, being Durlan, can simply sprout his/her own set of wings. If bird watching is your thing, this match-up has it all. Well, except for poor Super-Bird, who's still stuck und that stupid dome over on New Shanghai.

Portfolio Boy #832317 12/20/14 06:12 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader

21. GOOGAL (of of 853rd century Earth) Vs. ATOM GIRL (Salu Digby of Imsk), on Colu.

This one promises to be about the bloodiest battle in Round One. You've got someone who can become the size of a mouse against someone who actually IS a mouse, on Colu, where there's ample machinery and computer junk to hide inside of. But once the combatants meet, Vi (I still think of her as “Vi” even though I hate the Shrinking Violet code name) would seem to have an advantage as the Legion’s best physical combatant this side of the Karate Kids. However, Googal the Infinity Mouse is the last of his kind, able to call to his aid every now-dead member of his race. Now, that's a LOT of mice. Think Rick Grimes facing off against every single walker on the planet, all at once. Somewhere, the dearly departed, chewed-up corpse of Una is cringing in her grave at the very thought. Vi's good, but is she THAT good? This has the potential to be one of the few Round One battles in which a core Legion member could go down to defeat.

22. TIMBER WOLF (Brin Londo of Zoon) Vs. IMPULSE (Kent Shakespeare of Earth), on Superboy Planet.

It's somewhat ironic that Kent, intended to be a Superboy doppleganger, should end up fighting on Superboy Planet. Even so, a Googal-like supply of Superboy statues is unlikely to be much help, while he and Brin would appear to be equally matched. Both are auto-healers, at least using the most recent version of T-Wolf, so this fight could go on for days. But who knows, maybe element Siegellian can counteract the Zuunium coursing through Brin's veins. Or, if not, maybe it will at least settle once and for all how his codename became a literal manifestation of his power set, when his only ability is supposed to be the barely Sub-worthy power of super-agility. Still, for this contest we’ll go with the current Wolverine-lite version of the character.

23. OCTUS (of 853rd century Neptune) Vs. BRAINO (of Mrynah), on Tombor.

Tombor is a dead world where the people adapted to an increasingly harsh environment by slowly turning themselves into phantom-like wraiths and, having come to prefer that state of being, declined Phantom Girl’s invitation to return to normal. Who knows how, if at all, they'll react to these two combatants. Braino, you may recall, is often touted as "the noblest hero of them all." His mental powers are undefined apart from the fact that he was able to eradicate crime forever on his world by drawing all evil impulses into himself, although he ended up earning internment on Shanghalla in the process. Optus, of the future Legion of Super-Familiars (that's “super-pets” to you and me) is a giant space octopus from the eighth dimension whose powers, apart from his “limpet grenades,” are largely unfathomable to us mere 3-D beings. Basically, he's an eight-legged Deus ex Machina, so Braino is going to have to be pretty smart. Frankly, I don’t have much confidence in someone who’d pick the codename “Braino,” but your mileage may vary.

24. FIRE-LAD (Staq Mavlin of Shwar) Vs. MAGNO BOY ([unknown] of 75th century Braal), on Vorn.

Magno Boy, a member of Wildfire's Dead Earth Legion, is one of about a billion Braalians in this competition. As I recall, he didn't live long enough for us to see just how practiced he may be with his powers over magnetism. Fire-Lad, of course, breaths fire, but he’s gotten pretty good at it over the years and he should find plenty of fuel of Vorn, the jungle planet where Beast Boy went full-sociopath. Remember also, all of the fantastic beasts on Vorn. Staq could cause quite the stampede, if he had a mind to. Magno Boy, meanwhile, may have to rely on metallic ores and the like on this unpopulated planet.

25. SATURN QUEEN (Eve Aries of Titan) Vs. ELEMENT LAD (Jan Arrah of Trom), on Mlain.

No doubt about it, this is one of the big power match-ups of Round One. Saturn Queen is one of the most powerful telepaths Titan ever produced, apart from Saturn Girl. She’s bound to be a tough nut to crack even for the omnipotent reboot version of Jan. However, as your Time Trapping master of ceremonies, I have decreed that this is threeboot Jan, the beatnik hippie with the tactile limitation to his transmutation power. That will naturally limit his ability to simply create a duplicate set of Saturnian rings to take the fight out of Eve. However, working in his favor is the fact that Mlain — the war-wracked, post-apocalyptic world where the Legion fought Duplicate Boy when the Heroes of Lallor were initially under the sway of Dr. Marden King — is de-populated. So, there should be no minds around for Saturn Queen to control . . . save Jan’s of course.

26. LEETA-87 ([unknown] of [unknown]) Vs. BRAWLER ([unknown] of [unknown]), on Pasnic.

Pasnic is another world that has one half forever dark, the other in constant sun. So, one supposes at least half the planet is free of Banyo-fruit. Unless it's some kind of freaky alien fruit that actually grows in the dark, which would explain why it's so easy to overlook and slip on. We don't know what Leeta's powers were, although we might assume some variation of the traditional Kryptonian power set, given that she defeated innumerable villains before her unfortunate encounter with that damned Banyo-peel. Given her manner of death, we know Leeta was not invulnerable, or at least not all the time. Personally, I've always presumed she was a female version of Ultra Boy. I mean, chicks can get swallowed whole by giant ultra-beasts in space, too, right? I’ve always fancied that concept as it provides an object lesson for Ultra Boy. I picture him saying in battle, not to worry, he’ll switch from ultra-strength to ultra-invulnerability as needed, and Phantom Girl replying with something to the effect of, okay, but remember poor Leeta-87. Meanwhile, Brawler's only power is that he likes to fight. A lot. And, given that the two halves of Pasnic are in constant conflict, he'd probably be just as content to straddle the border and take comers from all sides, as to bother with Leeta at all.

27. ANDROMEDA (Laurel Gand of Daxam) Vs. FLEDERWEB (of Khundia), on Braal.

For this game, we'll be using the reboot version of Andromeda, before her conversion to the sisterhood, or her transformation by the Anywhere Machine. Therefore, it should be fun to watch the little xenophobe freak out over Flederweb, and worry about how to catch him without sullying her lily-white hands. Braal has a lot of post-depression, abandoned metal mills, meaning Flederweb has a lot of places to hide and surfaces to crawl on. Of course, it also means Andromeda should have a lot of things she can break over his head with relative impunity.

28. LAMPREY (Tayla Skott of Earth) Vs. CHLOROPHYLL KID (Ral Benem of Mardru), on Kathoon.

Wow, this was a damn unluckily draw for Chlorophyll Kid! Kathoon has always been described as a dark world — meaning all of it, all of the time. That tells us it's likely a rogue planet that does not orbit a star, or else is too far from its star to get anything more than a pinprick of light from it. Therefore, it must be artificially heated, or else produces its own internal heat source. Either way, unless the planet imports all its foodstuff, whatever vegetation it has must be some weird alien form that does not depend on chlorophyll to produce energy. That being the case, poor Ral has managed to land himself on one of the few worlds where he's practically powerless. Academy graduate Lamprey is a living electric eel, able to store and release electricity. Therefore, I'm thinking the Kid is cooked, but ultimately, that's for you to decide.

29. LIGHTNING LAD (Garth Ranzz/Proty of Winath) Vs. GREEN BOY ([unknown] of [unknown]), on Manna-5.

Green Boy, a sort of monochromatic Color Kid who can only turn things green, just might win this fight . . . if Lightning Lad dies laughing. Still, Manna-5 is a farm world with lots of green to start with. Making everything that one color could prove temporarily disorientating to Garth, although he also hails from an agricultural planet. Still, if he starts out too overconfident, he could get surprised. I have determined this is Proty-Garth, so do with that information what you will.

30. TAROT ([unknown] of 23rd century Earth-STV) Vs. ATOM’X (Randall Burroughs of Xanthu), in Kwai space.

Kwai space would seem to be the ideal location for posthumously-inducted honorary Legionnaire Atom'x, who had some role in the preboot/unboot universe, based on the presence of his statue in the Legion’s Memorial Hall, even if he’s no longer one-half of what’s in Wildfire’s containment suit. He can use his kinetic control of atomic energy to a variety of effects, inluding flight, energy blasts, and phasing though solid objects. Tarot, however, is the Dream Girl analog from the future of the comic book universe based on the syndicated Superboy TV show. She has an object-enabled (i.e. tarot cards) power of divination. So, one assumes she'll be able to accurately predict her inevitable loss, unless you can divine some way for her to win this fight.

Portfolio Boy #832318 12/20/14 06:15 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader

31. LIGHTNING LORD (Mekt Ranzz of Winath) Vs. LIFE LASS (Somi Gan of Lallor), in 20th century Smallville.

Lightning Lord would probably just terrorize Smallville until they turned Life Lass over to him, rather than go to the trouble of searching her out himself. However, Smallvillians are a hardy lot, and would unlikely give her up without a fight. When it does come to a fight, however, Life Lass would appear to be outmatched. She has more experience than Kinetix, but has always seemed less able in the use of her power to manipulate inorganic matter. After all, making tables walk has historically been about the extent of her creativity.

32. DEV-EM (of 20th century KRYPTON) Vs. Mr. MXYZPTLK II (of the 5th Dimension), on Weber’s World.

Dev-Em is basically a reformed juvenile delinquent version of Superboy. As such, he understands the criminal mind. But is he near as clever at getting 5th dimensional imps to say their names backward? I'd think not. Plus, the Adult Legion descendant of Mxyztplk is no mere mischief-maker. Yet, he has all of his ancestor’s powers, while Dev-Em is as weak to magic as Superboy. Still, there are a lot of diplomats and dignitaries milling about on Weber's World, so it may come down to which of these combatants is more willing to put civilian lives in jeopardy.

33. VRAX GOZZI (of Colu) Vs. WILDFIRE (Drake Burroughs of Earth), on Zyzan.

Vrax, a member of the threeboot Wanderers, is basically a less-intelligent version of Brainiac 5 — a mere 10th-level mind — less the force-field belt. Assuming he can keep his suit on, Wildfire should be able to able to mop the floor with ol' Vraxie pretty quick. Still, Zyzan is a desert world, home to a yellow-skinned lizard race that once tried to rob the Earth of its mineral resources. We know they hate the Legion, and we know they are cold-adverse. Who’s to say if Vrax can wrangle either of those variables to his advantage?

34. NEON (Celeste McCauley of Earth) Vs. POWER BOY II ([unknown] of [unknown]), on Tenazor-4.

Neon is, in essence, a living Green Lantern ring, which makes her one of the most powerful beings in this contest. We don't know a lot about this Power Boy. All we really have to go on is a few drawings by Dave Cockrum, which make it appear he has an atomic punch of some sort. Tenazor-4, you may recall, is the jungle world where, when we last saw Koko, he was busy becoming king of the monkeys, while plotting his revenge for being abandoned by Brainaic 5.1 — most likely by forming the Legion of Super-Evil Pets (tell me an LSP/LSEP fight is not something you'd like to see!). So, it would seem that Koko and his Brotherhood of Evil Monkeys will factor into this match somehow, it's just a matter of figuring out which side they'll affect most, for better or worse.

35. ULTRA-MAN (Gary Concord Jr. of 100th century Almeer-5) Vs. HARMONIA (Harmonia Li of Utopia), on Paradise Planet.

Built as a vacation spot for idle billionaires, Paradise Planet would seemingly have an abundance of all four basic elements for Harmonia to work with. Ultra-Man, on the other hand, is simply a Captain America analog from the far future. He has enhanced strength and “stature,” whatever the latter means. Super-posture, maybe? Or, it could refer to the fact that, before being placed in suspended animation and awaking in the 100th century, he was President of the United States of North American, in the 23rd century. So, he’s also Super-Buck Rogers, I guess. Speaking solely for myself, I hate Harmonia and want her to lose in the worst way, preferably with a big ol’ slap straight across her resting bitch-face. I just haven't figured out yet how Ultra-Man wins.

36. ENERGY BOY (Sharles Gluck of Ventura) Vs. DARTALG ([unknown] of [unknown]), on Io.

I'm not aware that Io has ever appeared in a Legion story. But because so many U.P. worlds are locations in name only (what do we know of Shwar, really, apart from the fact that it's Fire-Lad's homeworld?) I made the command decision to throw all of the major moons and dwarf planets of the Sol system into the Planetary Chance Machine, under they theory that all would have been fully colonized before mankind moved out to the stars. Io, being the most volcanically-active world in our solar system, might factor into this fight. Energy Boy can control nuclear forces, but has been shown to require concentration to create his so-called nuclo-globes. Therefore, one ill-timed volcanic eruption could throw him off his game. But even without assistance from Io, Dartalg (the original version of the character, not the Doug Moench "improved" version) might be able to get off a shot with his blowgun while Energy Boy is focused on prepping for the fight.

37. NEMESIS KID (Hart Druiter of Myar) Vs. GREEN LANTERN (Xenofobe of [unknown]), on Trom.

This is an interesting match-up, to my mind. Nemesis Kid used alchemy to give himself the power to spontaniously generate whatever power he needs to defeat any single-opponent. We know he’s next to useless against more than one foe. Dou Damsel has made a side-career out of kicking his ass. But can he manifest a counter power to a non-powered opponent? I think so. In his initiation test, he was able to defeat a robot by transforming himself into neutromium. But what could he do against a Green Lantern ring? Turn humself yellow, no doubt, but I wouldn’t think he’d be able to manifest a Yellow Lantern ring, so playing offense may pose a problem. This particular GL has only appeared once, so we know very little about him. We don’t even know what planet he’s from, altough the shape of his antennae make me wonder if he might not be from Infectious Lass’ homeworld. He’s also faded in and out of continuity over the years, as we’ve been told there are, and are not, and are again, but on second thought maybe not any Green Lanterns in the 30th/31st century. For the purposes of this game, there are. And he’s it.

38. KRYPTO (of 20th century Krypton) Vs. THOOM ([unknown] of Urikka-3), in the Nine Planets Ice Cream Shoppe, Metropolis.

Ordinarily, this would be no contest. Thoom’s only power is super-strength. He’s big. He hit things. And he doesn’t waste too much time pondering the intricacies of life. He’s kind of like that Geico commercial with the weightlifter. You know the one — “I pick things up! And I put them down!” However, if Krypto is anything like my last dog, he LOVES ice cream, almost to the exclusion of all else. Could super-dog get super-distracted by the doggy delicacies on hand at Nine Planets and leave an opening for Thoom? That’s for you to decide.

39. THE M’ONELVES (of 853rd century Daxam-Imsk) Vs. GRAVITY KID (Tel Vole of Earth), on Orando.

Given the setting, The M’Onelves might have too much trouble escaping young Orandans intent on catching fairies to fight effectively against Gravity Kid. On the other hand, while Tel can control gravity fields — much like Kono, he’s a two-for-one hero, with the powers of both Stab Boy and Light Lass — he might have trouble using his power against multiple opponents, especially a bunch of super-speed Tinkerbells. Consider also, he was shown to have less-than-perfect control over his power when flustered. And, although he showed great dedication to his training, he left Legion Academy early to be with Power Boy and never completed his studies.

40. ARGENT (of 75th century Renii) Vs. DUPLICATE GIRL (Luornu Durgo of Cargg), on Europa.

In this fight, I think a lot will depend on how you envision Europa, which to my knowledge has never actually appeared in a Legion comic. As the sixth-largest moon of our solar system, albeit the smallest of Jupiter’s four Galilean satellites, it’s almost certain the world would have been colonized. Current theory holds that it might have a liquid ocean heated by plate tectonics below the glass-like ice that covers its entire surface. As such, it might be a planet-sized Atlantis in the 31st century, with all cities situated in the warm oceans, as opposed to the inhospitable side seen from space. If this is the case, winged Argent is likely to be at a disadvantage. Imagine a man-sized bird trying to fly inside a dome. Like Super-Bird above in his battle against Ultra Boy, there just won’t be a lot of room for Argent to use his one advantage to full . . . um, advantage. Meanwhile, Lu is among the most experienced and capable Legionnaires. One imagines that even if the battle were topside, she’d manage some way to beat the far-future rookie, especially considering that I’ve decreed she’s the most recent version of herself, with unlimited duplicating power.

Portfolio Boy #832319 12/20/14 06:17 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader

41. METALLICA (Melissa Trask of 100th century Almeer-5) Vs. VEILMIST (of Khundia), on R-K528.

Well, now, what to make of this fight? Metallica is essentially a female Iron Man from the far future. The double standard, of course, is that if her drives and desires put her anywhere on par with womanizing Tony Stark, we call her a whore. But is she into men, or women, or both? If either of the latter two, Veilmist’s power of seduction will serve her well on this world. Although it bares the most antiseptic of names, R-K528 is home to Kissandra, whose aura brings happiness to true lovers, It also boasts Romance Valley, said to be the most romantic spot in the universe. Veilmist cold make a Tharrian melt in the dead of space, she can surely move Metallica to heart palpitations in this setting, even if the iron maiden is perfectly straight. But, on the other hand, even if betrayed by a moment of weakness, Metallica’s armor should ensure her survival no matter what environment Veilmist should teleport her into.

42. TELEKINESIS ([unknown] of [unknown]) Vs. LEX LUTHOR II (of Earth), on Myar.

We don’t know much about the threeboot Wanderer Telekinesis, apart from he/she/it having about the crappiest codename in comics. I mean, it’s a description of what he/she/it does, it’s not a name. It’s like, if Saturn Girl was named Telepathy. Not that “Saturn Girl” is any great shakes in the name department either, I’ll grant you. On the alchemists planet of Myar, there should be lots of strange potions and transmogrified materials to throw around. I’d give this one to the limbless wonder, if this was the Luthor we all know and love to hate. That one, unlike his Marvel counterpart, Dr. Doom, would turn away aghast at anything so hockey-pseudo-scientific as alchemy. His super-rational brain wouldn’t for a moment consider such a thing remotely possible. In fact, he’d likely feel so compelled to prove to the Myarans how stupid they all are, he wouldn’t even notice Telekinesis Kid (ah, there, that’s better) about to drop a castle on his head. But, of course, this Lex is the 30th century descendant of the our chrome-domed creep. He’d a kinder, gentler Luthor, and he just might be open-minded enough to make use of his surroundings.

43. DOUBLE-HEADER (Frenk and Dyvud Retsun of Janus) Vs. NERVOSA (of 75th century Bismoll), on Simballi.

Simballi is the homeworld of Plant Lad and, while I don’t know if this is 100 percent true or not, I’m telling you it’s a jungle world. As such, it should be pretty easy for Bismollian Nervosa to go full beaver and chew a tree down on top of Double-Header’s head, or heads, as the case may be. I’ve never understood how the Retsuns got in the Substitute Legion Auxilliary, never mind the full Legion. I mean, two heads — so what?! Worse, he comes from a world where EVERYONE has two heads, or at least two faces. Some Legionnaires made the team because they are more adept at the use of their powers than all other similarly-gifted folk on their homeworlds. So, did Frenk and Dyvud apply for membership because they’re double-headier than most double heads? I dunno. I mean, He’s GOT to do something. If I were the Legion scribe, I’d give him some sort of mental power that requires the two heads to work unison, in much the way Más y Menos from the Teen Titans cartoon show can only run super-fast when touching. Maybe when Double-Header touches his two heads together, he can cripple you with a massive headache. Then his codename could be Migraine. Of course, the way Frenk and Dyvud are prone to argue, the cat can make your head hurt just by being in the same room with him!

44. KID PSYCHO (Gnill Opral of Hajor) Vs. THE UMBRA (of the 853rd century), on Sklar.

Well, it would seem to me that Kid Pycho’s biggest problem is not that he drains a year off his life force whenever he uses his power, it’s that he’s walking around here on Sklar with a big ‘ol turban on his big fat head. It only stands to reason that some one of the Raiders, not realizing that’s actually his head under there, is going to wonder what Psychie’s hiding under the hood. Dazzle gems? Barakian walking money? A killer Silverale formula? Who knows, but the typically Sklarian is bound to be kleptomaniacally curious. Meanwhile, The Umbra is bound to care less about Gnill’s turban or the Sklarian Raiders. It was described in the DC One Million issue as being “barely humanoid.” He (I think it’s a he, but being barely humanoid, who can tell?) is basically a living shadow. Can a shadow get through a force field? I’d think so, force fields are usually depicted as being pretty translucent. But consider this, it’s only the force-field power that drains Kid Psycho. Many forget he also has the power of telekinesis, which manifested before his more popular power. Of course, lifting a shadow may prove even more difficult than trapping one under a see-through bubble.

45. MICRO LASS ([unknown] of Earth) Vs. KID QUANTUM II (Jazmin Cullen of Xanthu), on Korr.

Micro Lass is a giant with the ability to shrink down to human size. Ironically, that means she’s at her most formidable when NOT using her super-power. Oddly, she and the threeboot Gim Allon, who has the same power, come from Earth. Where the Valley of the Giants is, I don’t know, but it must have a food replicator working on overtime. Kid Quantum is basically a better version of her brother, amped up by the Xanthusian Science Council so that she does not require a booster belt to give her time-stasis power enough range to be useful. She has occasionally be shown blasting things with quantum energy, but so far as I know, her only actual power is freezing things in time. Korr is home to Sky City, built high up on a tower above the planet’s deadly smog. If things get ground level, Micro Lass merely has to depower and rise above the poisonous clouds to win. Of course, this assumes the smog is no more than 25 feet high, because the logic of Micro Lass’ power dictates that she can’t grow above her normal height.

46. BLOCKADE BOY (Phyl Staad of Amadus) Vs. WHIZZY (of Earth), on Dryad.

Oh, goodness, here’s another match-up that just screams Silver Age goofiness. Blockade Boy could turn himself into a steel wall. That’s a pretty specific power as shape-changing goes. Imagine if Zan of Wonder Twins fame could “Shape of . . .” an icicle, and that was it. Worse, poor Phyl could apparently mimic form, but not function, as he still managed to get zapped to death with a laser rifle while in “steel” form. Streaky, as you may or may not know from his one appearance, is a 30th century descendant of Streaky the Super-Cat. However, whereas the Kents lost powers as the generations wore one, such that Laurel wound up with invulnerability and nothing else, the Streaky line somehow managed to gain powers over the intervening years. Whizzy could do everything Streaky could do, plus he was telepathic and thought in the King’s English, or King’s Interlac, as it were. Dryad is Blok’s homeworld, where the hills are alive with the sound of, um, snoring, mostly. Uncle Mort could probably figure out a way for them to get involved, but I’m at a loss. Oh, and Whizzy’s in the fight because Mort said in at least one lettercol that he had joined the Super-Pets.

47. CATSPAW (April Dumaka of Earth) Vs. M’RISSEY (of Earth), on Olo.

I’ve always been kind of disappointed that Catspaw never got rebooted, or threebooted, or even unbooted. Gosh, she’s been lost in limbo for more than 20 years now. How time flies. Well, she’s back in the game, so do her proud. Can her cat-like reflexes and enhanced speed prove the better of a kid with no super-powers? M’Rissey, which you may or may not know, depending on whether you read Jim Shooter’s wrap-up of the threeboot era, was based on super-fan Rich Morrissey. While I never met Rich in person, I had the pleasure (indeed, the honor) of interacting with him online for many years, from about 1996 or so until his untimely passing in 2001, at age 47. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of all things comics, and loved trivia, yet unlike the typical Comic Book Guy, he never made you feel dumb by lording over you with his superior knowledge. His namesake tried to join the Legion elite at a time when any young person could claim to be a member. Rejected, he instead took over administrative duties for the team. In addition to being a super-administator, -organizer and
-strategist, M’Rissey is a genius-level mathmatician with an eidetic memory. So, maybe he could take April down. Sad to say, she was only about a half-pint brighter than an actual cat. All we know about Olo is that it is protected by the Peace Beasts, who participate in the annual parade on Rygor, which honors the greatest law enforcer in the Universe, including the Legion. So, do with that information whatever you think will make things exciting.

48. BLOODCLAW (of Khundia) Vs. ECHO (Myke-4 Astor of Calish-Aetia), on Jaquaa.

Here’s an interesting battle, not so much because of the characters as their respective homeworlds. Echo’s planet, Calish-Aetia, is one of dozens conquered by the Khunds. How will that play into the contest, I wonder? Might Echo be cowed at facing a Khund warrior in battle, or will he feel driven to avenge his enslaved people? Who can say? But this much is certain, on Jaquaa, home to the inimitable Dr. Gym’ll, a serious crowd of sidewalk supervisors is bound to gather, taking great delight in telling each combatant, point by point, what he’s doing wrong. It’s bound to drive Bloodclaw insane, and he was none too stable to begin with. He just might give Echo the opening he needs while teaching the Jaquaans who knows from Sunday about personal combat. The real benefit is that all of the crowd noise will give Echo a good supply of ammunition. Keep in mind, while he and Tyroc both manipulate sound, only Tyroc can create it. Echo has to work with whatever ambient sound there is in his environment. But oh, when Bloodclaw starts tearing into know-it-all Jaquaans . . . then shall we lay on, Macduff!

49. BATMAN (Bruce Wayne Kent of 20th century Earth) Vs. SUPERMAN-X (Kell-El of 41st century Earth), on Zerox.

Here’s an interesting draw, pitting alternate versions of the World’s Finest pairing at each other. This Batman was adopted and raised by the Kents after his parents’ murder. He grew up as a brother to Superboy and, as fate would have it, still went on to become Batman. He was such a great crimefighter in fact, that in this reality the Adult Legion waived its rule against non-powered persons and admitted him as a member. The Superman from from the Legion of Super-Heroes cartoon (who was really Superboy, but couldn’t be called that becuase the Siegel Estate was still disputing the name at that time) was raised by a pair of robot K3nts. As a clone of the orignal, he has the standard Kryptonian power set, but also possesses some sort of energy-based power I never quite understood. He can create energy shields and blades and whatnot. He’s also invulnerable to Kryptonite. He still wusses out at magic tricks, however, and lookiesee, here we are on Zerox, the Sorcerers’ World. That just might be enough to tip the scales in Bat’s favor. Or not. You decide.

50. MONSTRESS (Candi Pyponte-Le Parc III of Xanthu) Vs. BLOK (of Dryad), on Tharr.

Apart from the Atom Girl/ Googal smack-down, this match-up promises to be about the biggest clobberfest in Round One. Here, we have the Legion’s two gentle giants, both pacifists not prone to fighting if they can help it, but also determined enough to absolutely, never ever back down once they’ve engaged. Both are super-strong and near invulnerable, and I can see them just pounding on each other for hours, yet apologizing and begging forgiveness with every blow. The real test will be the environment. Polar Boy’s home planet is, perhaps counter-intuitively, a desert world. His people developed the ability to slow their own molecular activity to combat the heat and, on the hottest parts of the planet, eventually found themselves able to extend their personal air conditioning by slowing the molecular activity of objects around them. So, needless to say, it’s hot. I’m guessing Monstress would give out first in an endurance test like this one, but it may not come to that. She might just take one look at Blok and say, “Sweetie, you’re naked. And that is NOT a good look for you. Here, let Candi take care. I’ve got my Galaxy Express Intertron Card on me, I’ll fix you up real nice, baby. Trust me, Monstress knows fashion.” And off they’d lumber to the Tharrian Mall with Mysa calling after then, “Nooo-ooooo! If you let him wear cloths he won’t be my house elf any more!!”

Portfolio Boy #832321 12/20/14 06:19 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader

51. WEIGHT WIZARD (Nik Obershaw of [unknown]) Vs. TELLUS (Ganglios of Hykraius), on Hajor.

Weight Wizard was cowardly enough that he sold out the other heroes imprisoned with him on the Super-Stalag of Space for a few extra scraps of food, come mealtime. Still, he did repent, and he had to have been a hero at some point to get picked up by Nardo’s men. And, let’s face it, if anyone is going to forgive Nik his failures, it’d be Tellus, most trusting and naïve sentient in the ‘verse. Apart from magnetic manipulation, and lighting-wielding, controlling gravity is one of the most common power sets in the Legion mythos. Weight Wizard is one of several characters who can control his own weight, up or down, giving him the ability to leap great distances, or to become near immovable. One presumes, however, that telekinetic Tellus can hurl him about no matter his weight, while Nik’s mind is doubtfully impervious to Tellus’ telepathy. So, this seems a one-sided affair, but we’ll see how the voting goes. There’s not too much exciting about Kid Pshyco’s home planet of Hajor. It seemed a pretty standard U.P. world, at least until it got smashed to smithereens by a passing comet. So, to keep things interesting, let’s say this battle takes place in the debris field where Hajor used to be.

52. GAZELLE (Giselle Smith of Triton) Vs. SHADOW KID (Grev Mallor of Talok VIII), on Triton.

Surprisingly (to me anyway), of all the characters and planets in the mix, only Gazelle lucked out and drew a decided homefield advantage. An intimate knowledge of the climate-controlled cities on her home planet should serve her well, as will her ability to control her metabolism to various effects, in or out of that specialized “ski lodge” environment. Still, Shadow Kid is an experienced hero, having been a planetary champion when his cousin Tasmia was still sporting bangs and a handband, doing her best to look like a blue-skinned Lea Michelle. Experience and treachery should be more than a match for youth and exuberance, but Gazelle is a tough cookie — kind of a hard-ass, really — so she’s not likely to panic once the lights go out.

53. WESTERNER (Timothy Santoza of Earth) Vs. LAUREL KENT (of Earth), on Ventura.

Ah, Ventura, the gambler’s planet. Basically, it’s the Las Vegas of Space, the one place in the entire U.P. where Laurel’s fashion sense might look conservative. Westerner (one of the few students at Legion Academy there for the training, with no intention of ever applying for membership) has the magical ability to absorb the strength and stamina of others. Unfortunately, Laurel is not blessed with strength or stamina, just durability. And one assumes, given her ancestry (for our purposes she’s a flesh-and-blood descendant of Superman, not a Manhunter robot), she’s not even that, where magic is concerned. Of course, if Lois Lane is also in Laurel’s bloodline (and we assume she is), she has cunning and guile in spades (an appropriate reference given the setting) and just may be able to manipulate the surroundings to serve her purpose. (How, I can’t say, I’ve just grown fond of parenthetical remarks).

54. SENSOR (Jeka Wynzorr of Orando) Vs. QUESTAR (Reges Questar of [unknown]), on Luna.

Snekkie!! For the record, I’ve always hated Snekkie, with or without arms. In fact, I hate her so much I decree this version is pre exposure to the Anywhere Machine, relegating her to those dopey little mechanical arms. Still, she should win here. Questar, for those of you who do no know, was an idol of the Legion. They delighted in watching holo-vids of his exploits, but were sorely disappointed when they met him and learned he was an abject coward. Despite boasting a Kryptonian power set (and he did like to boast), and no known weaknesses, Questar was no hero. His deeds were mostly staged in order to delight his fans and feed his almost pathological need to be loved. So, Snekkie has two options — she can give Questar the illusion of any frighting beast this side of a Imskian housefly, or she can put him in the middle of an ticker-omnicom parade, staged in his honor. Either one is bound to leave him too preocupied to fight.
55. FIREFIST (of Khundia) Vs. CELEBRAND (of [unknown]), on Imsk.

The Planetary Chance Machine has given us quite a few pairings that seem to be more compelling than mere chance would allow. Here, we have what are probably the two oldest fighters in the competition. Firefist is an old-school Kundish warrior who’s seen his fair share of battles. Celebrand does not appear to have any powers apart from being a master strategist, but that alone has helped him to get old enough to grow bald. Adding to the was-this-really-random sensation, Imsk is about the most perfect planet for both of these old conspirators who, like Hannibal Smith of the A-Team, just love it what a plan comes together. Ismk is packed to overflowing with revolutionaries, soldiers, spies and hunters of space-dragons. As such, one can hardly toss a block of intertron in any direction without hitting a cache of weapons. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if both of these old dogs already had small armories and paid henchmen socked away in safehouses all over the planet.

56. MENTALLA (Delya Castil of Titan) Vs. MEMBRAIN (of 75th century Rambat), on Jupiter.

And here’s another couldn’t-have-picked-it-if-I’d-tried pairing, this one featuring two telepaths adept at mind control. There’s nothing subtle about either one of these combatants. Neither is the kind to pry open your mind to learn your deepest, darkest secrets. No, these two are more likely to just grab your brain and walk you off a cliff. Not that there are any cliffs in the artifical cities that float in the clouds of Jupiter. We don’t know much about these cites, apart from the fact that their inhabitants are deathly afraid of lunar rainbows. Not that I understand how Jupiter gets rainbows beneath climate-controled domes. But would Mentalla or Membrain try to cause a panic by putting visions of rainbows in people’s heads? Doubtful. More likely they’d just take over minds and hurl zombified bodies at each other for a few hours until finally saying to each other, “Hey, screw this, let’s go be bad guys.”

57. MOG YAGOR (of Vasmeer) Vs. METROX (of 75th century Colu), on Cargg.

Somewhere on the the interwebs — and I wish I could remember where so I could give credit, because it’s a great idea — I saw a theory about Mog Yagor. Given the inscription on Mog’s Shanghalla memorial, most of us just assume the human shown fighting the big frog-pterodactyl thing is Mog. But what if, in an EC Comics- or Twilight Zone-style twist, Mog was the pterodactyl and the human was the “monster?” I LOVE that idea. So, for this contest, presume that to be the case. We don’t know what powers Mog might have other than claws, teeth and flight, although his memorial statute leads us to beleive his greatest power is super-bravery. Metrox is another Brainiac-wannabee hobbled by a mere 10th-level intellect. I’m not sure how Cargg might play into this fight. It’s usually depicted as a standard U.P. world, apart from the fact that its inhabitants can all triplicate. The reboot had an interesting concept, claiming the planet was populated solely by versions of Luornu. <tanget> I’ve always been fascinated by that idea and use it in my fanfic, in which I have Carggittes descended from humans genetically modified for long space flights before the advent of faster-than-light travel. Given the ability to reproduce asexually, the Carggittes were futher modified to be able to reabsorb their duplicates. This allowed them to put all hands on deck, so to speak, when needed, but then reduce to a skeleton crew during downtimes, to reduce conspumtion of resources. </tangent>

58. IMPULSE II (Bart Allen of Earth) Vs. KROMAK ([unknown] of [unknown]), on the Puppet Planetoid.

I haven’t read a story featuring Impulse, or Kid Flash as he’s now known, in years, And by that I mean, like, maybe a decade, or more. So, I’m going with him being the hyperactive spaz I remember. As such, he’s bound to be hyper-psyched by the giant puppets of the puppet planetoid. Kromak is a threeboot Wanderer with the ability to graft body parts together. That’s just gross, and Bart is likely to think so, too. The question, however, is whether Kromak can fuse puppet parts together for various purposes, of if his power only works on organics. Of course, who’s to say the puppet toys used by those giant kids from another dimension are not organic. They could be slaves captured by the giants’ parents, for all we really know.

59. POLAR BOY (Brek Bannin of Tharr) Vs. BRAINIAC 5 (Querl Dox of Colu), on Preztor.

Drat. And I had really wanted Polar Boy to advance to at least the closing rounds of this game, too. On the face of it, this might seem like a siege-style fight. Polar Boy launches an ice attack, Brainy throws up a force-field bubble around himself, Brek freezes it in a block of ice and waits to starve him out. But Brainy is a 12th-level intellect after all, meaning he could probably think of about 12 ways to get out of an ice cube that you and I can hardly imagine. So, given that Brainiac 5 is the be-all/end-all mack daddy deus ex machina of the Legion, I’m sure he wins somehow. I mean, I’m voting for Polar Boy, I’m just saying I expect to be the only one. Preztor is the home planet of Command Kid. It’s a water world where people live in underwater domed cities and one of its few islands is inhabited by demons prone to take over the bodies of wayward, unsuspecting youths. How that factors into the gameplay, I can’t say.

60. TUSKER (Horace Lafeaugh of Earth) Vs. SUPERGIRL (Kara Zor-El of 20th century Krypton/Earth), in the Extal Colony.

For his game, Tusker is the most recent version of the character, possessing more than just accelerated tusk growth. He also has a hyper-metaboism that gives him super-strength, -agilty, and -reflexes, plus a healing factor and near invulnerability via bone structure durability. Of course, he’s going up against Supergirl, so that’s all pretty much for naught. I’m not sure what, if anything, we know about the Extal Colony. It would be pretty funny if everyone there had similar personalities to Comet Queen, but I think she’s an anomoly, even among her own people. There are a lot of different Supergirl’s out there, but I’ve decided this is the pre-Crisis version, if only because the hotpants, puffy sleeves and choke collar look was my all-time fave of her very many costumes. I mean, seriously, has any heroine this side of the Wasp sported more looks than Supergirl?

Portfolio Boy #832322 12/20/14 06:32 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader

61. VISI-LAD (Rhent Ustin of Earth) Vs. INVISIBLE KID (Lyle Norg of Earth), on Vondra.

Here’s a funny match-up: The kid who can’t be seen against the kid who can see anything. Invisible Kid would seem to be outmatched, especially given that he’s very Silver Age-y in that he’s only invisible to visible light. He still gives off body heat and thus can be seen in infra-red, which is no bigs for Visi-Lad. He also can be detected on radar and sonar. Meanwhile Visi-Lad not only has super-vision along the entire spectrum, he also has heat vision and hypnotic powers. Frankly, I’m not sure why he wasn’t admitted into the Legion. If I was ever in charge of the Legion book, I’d give Lyle an upgrade to Undetectable-To-Any-Means-Possible Kid, but it is what it is. Let’s remember, however, that he is the Legion’s greatest mind this side of Brainiac 5 and he was one of the team’s better leaders. So, he’s got that going for him, even if his power would seem to be of little use this round. Vondra is the world with the Valley of the Aurora, which Dream Girl used to turn several of the Legionnaires into babies. So, this fight could end up being between Visi-Tot and Invisible Baby.

62. PRINCESS PROJECTRA (Wilimena Morgana Daergina Annaxandra Projectra Velorya Vauxhall of Orando) Vs. ELASTIC LAD (Jimmy Olsen of 20th century Earth), on Robotica.

Ordinarily, you’d think Protectra would take this one in a cakewalk. However, we are on a world populated by robots, who, being robot, are not susceptible to her illusion powers. Thus, she can’t really use the crowds against Jimmy. Mr. Action also has a pretty good head on his shoulders, so he’d probably be pretty good at seeing through Jekkie’s illusions, even if we decide this is the Sensor Girl version of the character, able to take full control of a person’s sensory perception. This could be a fun fight, should Jekkie elect to make Jimmy re-live every one of his amazing transformations. But, as Elastic Lad, he’s pretty much limited to elongating his limbs. I don’t think he’s ever been shown as being able to go full-on Plastic Man. But, hey, you be the judge. Oh, and to be clear, whether you want to go with traditional Jekkie or Sensor Girl is fine with me, but this is not the snake version of the character, nor is it the spoiled mental deficient from the threeboot, although I did decide to go with her full name, as provided during that era.

63. THE CHAMELEON (of 853rd century Durla) Vs. CHEC (of 863rd century [unknown]), on Femnaz.

Well, here’s a “who cares?” kind of fight. On the one hand, we have the “barely humanoid” Durlan of Justice Legion L form the DC One Million reality; on the other we have one of the three youngsters recruited by Wildfire in the far future. I’m not 100 percent sure which of the three is Chec, to be honest, nor do I know what his powers were. I don’t think it was ever actually said. Assuming I have the right characters, I’d say it’s some sort of green energy power, or, because the three 863rd century Legionnaires were meant to be analogs of the founders, we might say it’s some energized variation of Lightning Lad’s abilities. Femnaz, as you may know, is home to the FEMinist NAZis (didn’t know that term had even been invented in the late 1960s, but apparently so) where woman rule to roost. They’re not likely to take too kindly to either male combatant, a fact the Durlan, even being barely humanoid, should glom on to and compensate for pretty quickly.

64. PSYCHE ([unknown] of [unknown]) Vs. DRAGONWING (Marya Pal of Earth), on Hykraius.

Psyche is the Mistress of Emotion and, in the entire history of the Legion, there have been few members more prone to emotional outbursts than Dragonwing. Her acid spit is an almost literal manifestation of her personality. She also has fire breath and other “oral secretions” in her arsenal. Phyche is able to manipulate emotion, but won’t have much to work with where Dragonwing is concerned. Marya’s range is limited pretty much to rage. She’d make a great Red Lantern, that’s for sure. Hey, come to think of it, wouldn’t it be fun to lock Dragonwing and Inferno in a closet, just to see what happens? Hykraius is a world with one giant methane ocean, so I’m guessing Marya doesn’t want to use her fire-breath there, otherwise it could be all over but the screaming for both combatants!

65. ROND VIDAR (of Earth) Vs. TRIO ([unknown] of Cargg), on Bgztl.

For our purposes here, Rond does not have a Green Lantern ring here, he’s just a really clever boy. Also, with the daddy issues. We don’t know a lot (actually, almost nothing) about Trio, the Carggitte member of Dave Cockrum’s Outsiders team. Fan speculation is that each of her three selves was meant to have a unique super-power, based on the fact that each sported a separate codename — Vixen, Spitfire and Hellion. Of course, those could have been their actual names, for all we know. I’m not sure how the setting might come into play, if at all. Bgztllians become intangible by phasing partway between realities, and have been shown able to perform this trick in their own reality as well. One of the neat threeboot ideas was that Bgztllians actually experience both realities when in their phantom states, That can be a bit disconcerting to them, which is why most of them stay on their side of the dimensional barrier. I don’t think we’ve ever seen Legionnaires visiting Bgstl, but beings from our universe like Rond and Trio are presumably all in, whichever side of the wall they’re on, and would be solid on Bgztl, which is otherwise, as far as I know, just a standard alternate Earth. However, like Earth-2, -3, -X, -S, etc. there could be differences between our Earth and Bgtzl that could be fun to play with.

66. QUANTUM QUEEN ([unknown] of [unknown]) Vs. POLECAT (Dafe Meron of Earth), on Rambat.

Quantum Queen’s powers have always been laergely undefined. She can manipulate, and even become, quantum energy. But what does that mean, exactly? Comic book writers who couldnever quite grasp what Chemical King could do were even worse at defining QQ’s power set. I’m no better in the science department, so I’ll leave it to you to decide how she manifests her powers. Of course, this round should not pose much of a challenge. Polecat is an olafactory abomination, but doesn’t do much except stink. He might be able to drive QQ off on that alone, but she would seem to have enough of a long-range capabiltiy to wrap this fight up pretty quickly, at least so long as she stays upwind. Ranbat is, of course, home to the brain-globes. Never a especially social lot, they could play into this battle by joining in to drive both off-worlders from their planet. One wonders, can they smell anything from inside their little brain globes?

67. INSECT QUEEN (Lana Lang of 20th century Earth) Vs. CRYSTAL KID (Bobb Kohen of Earth), on Somahtur.

Lovely Lana is the original Miss Thing and, as such, commands the stage. She should intimidate the hell out of poor Bobb, who’s never been shown to be the most confident boy in the world. His ability to create and grow crystals has always seemed Sub-worthy to me. I mean, what do you do with that? Meanwhile, Lana’s bio-ring lets her adopt a host of crazy insect shapes, including — yes, we know they’re not insects — spiders. The real question is what role will the environment play in this fight. Somahtur is the home planet of Infectious Lass, so it should be teeming with disease. Which of these two combatants is better quipped to ward off an infection? You decide.

68. WILDSTAR ([unknown] of 23rd century Earth) Vs. NIGHT GIRL (Lydda Jath of Kathoon), on Sirius Station

Wildstar is the Lightning Lad analog from the future super-teens team seen in the comic book adaptation of the syndicated Superboy TV show. They never appeared on the actual show, for what that’s worth. Night Girl, of course, has super-strength that only works, depending on the writer, in the dark, or in the absence of sunlight. Personally, I go for the latter and deem that Lydda would have her strength indoors, under artificial lighting, or in the shade, even. Sirius Station has never been seen, so far as I know, but it’s the home to Cannus, the dog-faced Legion applicant. He was initially said to be from Anthropologia, so let’s say the planet is full of walking furries in addition to dog-people.

69. TRIPLICATE ([unknown] of 75th century Cargg) Vs. ENERGAX (Hisshkul of Chisshagh), on Titan.

Triplicate is one of the Carggittes recruited by Wildfire to be part of his “Dead Earth” Legion in the 75th century. Standard Triplicating power applies. He’s also not a Luornu, so Dead Earth Cargg must not be World of Lotta Lu. Energax was one of the many heroes captured along with the Legion during the Universo Project storyline. All people on his world can manipulate energy and one is chosen in an annual contest to be planetary champion. This contest is something of a precursor to the Xanthusian contest seen in the reboot era. Hisshkul actually missed the contest — Universo’s henchmen nabbed him on his way to the stadium — but was declared champion upon his return from the Universo Project. Interestingly, the Energax codename is a title passed on to each subsequent planetary champion, so, if he’s here in this contest after retiring, or losing the title to some young upstart, he’ll have to call himself something else. Titan, of course, is well known. Let’s ingore the last Levitz run and pretend it’s not blowed up.

70. ELVO ([unknown] of [unknown]) Vs. COMET QUEEN (Grava of the Extal Colony), on New Xenn.

In addition to flight, and flights of linguistic fancy, Comet Queen’s primary power is noxious gas expellation. Yes, that’s right — basically, she emits super-space farts. So, great power, that. I could get into the Legion on that one. Elvo is the Waderer with the unwavering sword. Still, his energy blade is not quite up to Pursuader axe capabilitys, and probably would not be able to cut though Grava’s gas clouds. New Xenn is the world the Legion transported the little blue, bug-eyed Xennnians to when their world blew up. He know it’s an iron-rich world and that it sits near a giant vortex known as the super-tornado of space. That may or may not be a factor in this fight, should you choose to take it offworld.

Portfolio Boy #832323 12/20/14 06:36 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader

71. XERA (Xera Kharindot of Manna-5) Vs. ORINTHO ([unknown] of [unknown]), on Brande’s Planetoid.

Xera, the royal princess and protector of Manna-5, has control over the weather. So, think of her as the orange-skinned Storm of space. Orintho is a shape-shifter limited to assuming avian form. You’d think a quick thunderstorm or two should ground him for the duration. However, this fight is on R.J. Brande’s home turf and a lot will depend on how you imagine it. It’s been depicted as his own personal pleasure planet, but we’ve also seen it as a giant space mansion on an otherwise lifeless asteroid. Assuming you pick the latter, Xera can hardly whip up the winds where there’s no atmosphere. She can control the elements, not created them out of whole cloth. At least that’s what we presume. Of course, if it’s an indoor fight, that could limit Orintho’s options as well.

72. NIMBOK (of Vaalor) Vs. DUPLICATE BOY (Ord Quelu of Lallor), in the Interplanetary Bank.

Nimbok is a mutant with unknown but presumed mental powers, although not so great that he was able to realize his most trusted pal was actually an evil sorcerer who only feigned friendship in order to get close enough for the kill. Duplicate Boy is Violet’s boy-toy who’d be half-dangerous if he had half a clue. He can duplicate any super-power, which is pretty useful, as super-powers go. Unfortunately, depending on the writer, he seems to waver between being too over-confident to use his power effectively and too indecisive to know which power to pick. Regardless, most all writers depict him as a pretty dim bulb. The Interplanetary Bank has all kinds of cash, including money that walks and money made of water, in addition to gems, coins, and fiat dollars. This would seem a pretty predictable fight, but Ord usually finds a way to screw things up, so who knows. =

73. SUN BOY (Dirk Morgna of Earth) Vs. SPIDER-BOY (Peter Ross of 20th century Earth), on Korbal.

Sun Boy, space fatigue incident and womanizing ways excepted, is one of the quintessential Legionnaires. Of course, it’s rarely been clear if his powers are limited to the stated radiance of heat and light, or if he has full-on solar powers, or even flame throwing abilities akin to the Human Torch. He’s an expert pilot though, when not unduly influenced by the Gorilla Nebula, so he won’t have crash-landed on Korbal. Spider-Boy has the ability to control his own center of gravity, which allows him to mimic such feats as super-strength, amazing agility, and walking on walls. Not many walls to walk across on Korbal, however, which is largely devoid of life apart form lightning beasts and whatever lightning beasts feed on. Wayward Winithians, mostly, I should suspect. Anyway, Spider-Boy’s membership in the Amalgam universe Legion of Galactic Guardians is what gets him invited to this party. But is he agile enough to avoid both Sun Boy’s solar bursts and a herd of rampaging lighting beasts?

74. QUETZAL ([unknown] of [unknown]) Vs. TITANGIRL (of 853rd century Titan), on Vorn.

Here’s a couple of characters you might not know. Quetzal was to have been a member of Dave Cockrum’s Outsiders. His notes tell us she was a bird creature who only spoke in chirps and warbles, but whose voice could induce a trance-like state. Titangirl is from Justice Legion L in the DC One Million timeline. She’s said to possess the psychic energy of all people from Titan. So, that’s some brain action for Quetzal to try and hypnotize, for sure. But Cockrum’s notes also tell us she was resistant to telepathy, so she has that going for her in this fight. Vorn is the jungle world Beast Boy fled to when he swore off humanity. It’s got enough crazy critters to keep both these chicks busy. And yes, I had loaded Vorn into the Planetary Chance Machine twice and didn’t realize it until later. So, screw it. Let’s call it a planet big enough to host two fights this round.

75. BLAST-OFF (Jahr-Drake Leroy Ningle of [unknown]) Vs. COSMICBOT (of 853rd century Braal), on Mars.

Blast-off was essentially the Legion’s answer to Cannonball, from Marvel’s New Mutants — same rocket self-propulsion power, same propensity to smash into things. He’s been seen as a statue in the Legion’s Memorial Hall in the modern unboot, so whether or not he’s still one-half of the entity we know as Wildfire, he did something that got him inducted as a posthumous honorary member. Cosmicbot is from Justice Legion L. He’s the answer to that age-old question, would it be possible for Cosmic Boy to get that giant stick stuck any further up his ass if he was a cyborg? The answer, by the way, is yes. Cosmicbot is a true dick. Mars we know relatively little of. It’s normally depicted as a world of isolated domed cities, but I have to believe that, as the nearest, most easily-teraformed planet to Earth, it would be teaming with life. In fact, I envision it as somewhat overdeveloped, one giant city of Malthusian proportions, which would explain why it needs its own police force separate from the S.P., in the form of the Martian Rangers.

76. RANN ANTAR (of Myar) Vs. QUAKE KID (Shanen Dreyus of Earth), on Venus.

Rann knows a formula that makes things super-heavy, predominately feathers. Naturally, he’s a Legion reject. Still, I always thought it would have been neat if he had been from Nemesis Kid’s home planet of Myar and, using alchemy, developed formulas that could duplicate the powers of other Legionnaires besides Star Boy. I mean, Johnny Quick invented a formula that gave him super-speed, and he wasn’t even from an alchemists’ planet. So, just to beef Rann up a bit, let’s do that. He’s basically Duplicate Boy limited only to having developed and memorized a formula, and being able to speak it aloud. Quake Kid was another Legion reject, one most famous for getting what he deserved for hitting on Infectuous Lass. He appeared as a member of the threeboot Wanderers as Kid Quake, but I like theoriginal name better. Also, that version has WAY better sideburns. His powers are what you’d expect, he creates earthquakes. He showed up on the Legion cartoon where his costume inluded a miner’s hardhat, which makes a certain amount of sense when you think about it. We don’t know much about Venus, apart from the fact that its inhabitants at phobic about transmutation, which is odd, because it has some of the weirdest beasts in the U.P. In the early Adventure era, you could bet real money that almost any strange creature would be described as a Venusian somthing-or-other. It makes sense. I mean, who knows what kind of life is perculating even today beneath that greenhouse cloud cover.

77. PHASE II (of 75th century Bgztl) Vs. LESTER SPIFFANY (of multiple vacation homes), on Avalon.

Phase II is yet another of Wildfire’s cannon fodder recruits from the 75th century. Standard Bgztllian powers apply. Lester’s power is being super-rich. He’s a bit of a spoiled brat, it’s true, but you would be too if you had that much money, and you know it. Avalon is the alternate elseworld where the Legion existed in a medieval era. So, let’s use it. Lester could probably buy armies of peasants just by flashing a dazzle gem or two. Of course, they wouldn’t be able to do much damage to Phase, so this is another fight that could go on for days.

78. BEAST BOY (Ilshu Nor of Lallor) Vs. TYROC (Troy Stewart of Marzel), on Corvan IV.

Beast Boy is a manic-depressive who changes to the form of different animals as frequently as he changes moods. Tyroc can hit notes even Ilshu’s strangest forms can hear. For this game, Tyroc is the modern version of the character, with none of the angry black man schtick and able to manipulate sound to a variety of effects. Go ahead and used your imagination as to just what he can do, but none of that reality-warping foolishness. Try and be semi-realistic. Corvan IV is an agricultural world, withdrawn from the U.P. after facing a takeover by the Fatal Five. The setting would seem to give Beast Boy free rein to use his powers to their most destructive end without hurting (many) bystanders, which may or may not matter to him, depending on whether he’s taken his meds.

79. ANTI-LAD ([unknown] of 75th century Earth) Vs. TRIAD III ([unknown] of 75th century Cargg), on Oranz.

Anti-Lad was a one-off character you may or may not recall. He came back in time to destroy the theme of the very first Legion story in Adventure Comics #247, by claiming to be responsible for Superboy failing his initiation tests. In other words, if the story he appeared in is to be believed, the Legion was not just testing Kal-El’s sportsmanship, they really did intend to reject him. Anyway, Anti-Lad got himself inducted with his device-enabled power to turn the super-abilities of others against themselves and convinced the Legion to give Superboy a second chance. He then returned to the 75th century, leaving no trace or memory of his time in the Legion, save for one photograph, because digital cameras hadn’t been invented yet. Also, from the 75th century, albeit a different version of it, is Triad III, recruited into Wildfire’s Dead Earth team. Oranz is a dark world invaded by Roxxas, who stole its valuable "cold light" globes, plunging it into darkness. We assume the street lamps have been replaced by now.

80. COLOR KID (Ulu Vakk of Lupra) Vs. COSMIC KING (Laevar Bolto of Venus), on Linsnar.

Personally, I’ve always thought Color Kid was a lot more powerful than his relegation to the Subs would lead us to believe. After all, imagine how hard it would be for a villain to escape when he see’s everything as the exact same shade of the same color. Or, imagine how disconcerting it would be if the color of everything in front of you changed at kaleidoscope speed. Cosmic King is, of course, a non-Trommite transmuter. I’ve always wondered why Uncle Mort & Co. chose to give him a different power than Cosmic Boy, even while allowing Saturn Queen and Lightning Lord to mimic their counterparts. It should have been pretty easy to have just made the King another Braalian. Easy, except that Cosmic King appeared three months before Cosmic Boy’s robot-monster origin was set in Superman Annual #4. Thus, when Cosmic King made his debut, the prevailing origin for Cosmic Boy was still that he took a serum that gave him eyes of magnetic power. Today, those eyes are magnetic only to Night Girl. Linsnar is Gear’s homeworld. It’s populated by cyborgs who make gadgets out of themselves. We like to think of it as Planet MacGyver.

Portfolio Boy #832324 12/20/14 06:40 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
81. DREAM BOY (Rol Purtha of Naltor) Vs. SHADOW LASS (Tasmia Mallor of Talok VIII) on Shanghalla.

There aren’t a lot of places more appropriate for Tasmia’s shadow-casting power than the cemetery planet of Shanghalla, which is creepifying enough as it is. Still, before she can use her powers, she’ll have to avoid breaking down in tears at Earth-Man’s gravesite. The whole of Levitz’ return to the Legion seemed an exercise in making characters do things completely uncharacteristic to them. So, let’s pretend none of that Earth-Man romance and weepy wailing ever happened, okay? Dream Boy may or may not be as good with his power as Dream Girl, who got adept enough that she could predict and counter in the middle of a fist fight whatever moves her opponent would make. Come to think of it, I’m not sure we ever saw Dream Boy use his powers, or even saw him go on a mission. He was just sort of there in the middle of the threeboot era for some reason I don’t recall. Oh well, he should be at least good enough to see his ass getting kicked in this round. Unless you prophesize this one going the other way, which is entirely your right.

82. LIGHTNING LASS (Ayla Ranzz of Winath) Vs. QUISLET ([unpronounceable] of the Teall Dimension), on Oa.

I’ve always preferred the Light Lass version of this character, but that’s probably just because it’s the one I grew up with. I know most fans like her better as Lighting Lass, so that’s what we’ll go with here. She should be able to fry that little ship Quislet flies around in, but he should be able to jump into some other nearby object pretty easily, from which to use his powers. Given that he’s basically an alien Life Lass, or a preboot Kinetix, and that we’re on Oa, if that object should happen to be the main power battery of the Green Lantern Corps, I suspect Ayla’s going to wish she was back on Korbal, getting her brain fried, which has to be preferable to whatever Quislet might do.

83. INVISIBLE KID II (Jacques Foccart of Earth) Vs. “SUPER-PHRENOLOGY LAD” ([unknown] of Xanthu) on Tartarus.

Okay, so here’s the story on S-P Lad, one of the more obscure characters on this list — so obscure in fact, that the head shot used here was the only pic of him I could find on the entire internet. He appeared in the reboot era as one of the Uncanny Amazers and was part of the fight to determine which team would win the right to red-rover Star Boy. We never learned his name or his power, but his costume was just a pair of bicycle shorts and he a network of lines on his bald head. From that, a number of online fans at the time, myself included, started calling him Super-Phrenology Lad and decided, since he seemed so intent on grabbing his opponent during the big fight, that his power was tactile telepathy — that he could read and/or control someone’s mind once he touched that person’s head, probably with any part of his body, given his state of undress. Because it was the grim ‘n’ gritty ‘90s, some fans took to calling him Phrenollax. Personally, I preferred Phrenology Fred, but I’m old school that way. Invisible Kid you know. His power is invisibility, talking pigeon French, and, when Keith Giffin is feeling frisky, teleporting into an alien dream dimension. Tartarus is the home of Prince Evillo and however many villains he says are on his Devil’s Dozen this time out.

84. CHEMICAL KING (Condo Arlik of Phlon) Vs. STORM BOY (Myke Chypurz of Earth), on Silvan.

Originally rejected for using a TV remote control device to manipulate the weather, Storm Boy eventually internalized his power (literally) and joined the Legion during the so-called Five-Year Gap. Or, in the current reality, he joined the Justice League of Earth and became a huge asshat. Chemical King is the much-maligned Legion member killed off because nobody in the DC offices could afford a high school chemistry book. On Silvan, it still might be hard to find things for him to do. It’s a planet of living light beings. Why they’d confine themselves to a planet I can’t say, but they seem to live in a natural state. So, there’s probably not a lot of metal objects and building girders around for Condo to make rust at super-speed, which appears to be the one thing everyone agrees he can do.

85. FLATLINE (Ron-Karr of Neptune) Vs. IMPLICATE GIRL (of the 853rd century), on Thanar.

It’s either Ron-Karr, or Ronn-Kar, depending on who you trust. But I’ve decided we shall call him Flatline, because every self-respecting Legion reject should have a codename. Actually, it’s really too bad the Legion was not yet aware of the Subs’ existence when Ronnie tried out. His power to become two-dimensional is interesting enough that I’m certain he would have got the same referral given to Color Kid. He might then have become a great hero, or a substitute one anyway, and the LSV would have been forever down one member. Implicate Girl is another Justice Legion L member from the far future. A Carggite, she wears the entire planet encased in a terrasect jewel on her forehead, from which she can draw on the skills and abilities of any member of her race. So, that’s cool. Thanar is an asteroid, orbiting a blue star that’s home to a race of mineral-fleshed people. Other than that, the only interesting thing about it is that the Legion fought one of its many battles with the Super-Moby Dick of Space there.

86. GRAV ([unknown] of Galoa) Vs. GALAXY (Lori Morning of Earth), on New Tortuga.

Grav is a member of the threeboot Wanderers and has pretty much the same power as Spider-Boy, he can perform astounding feats of agility by manipulating his personal gravity field. He has not been show walking on walls, however, so, for him, down is always down. Galaxy was shown as a future memorial statue (much like Power Boy, as the base only) in the Legion Dead Earth annual. When Lori Morning later showed up using her H Dial as Galaxy Girl, many fans decided that was her, either having taken that name, or else frozen in the Galaxy Girl persona. I can’t remember what her powers were as Galaxy Girl, so go ahead and make something up. It doesn’t really matter. Most everyone hated Lori, so she’s bound to get slaughtered in the early rounds, maybe even in this one. Whoever wins, both combatants should feel right at home on New Tortuga, a.k.a. the Pirate Planetoid.

87. SIZE LAD (Aarl of Murra) Vs. GATES (Ti’julk Mr’asz of Vyrga), on Veruna.

The last of the Murran interlopers on our list, Size Lad could control the size of inanimate objects. So, if you’re Lily Tomlin and you’re about to go on as Edith Ann, Size Lad is your man! Gates, of course, is all about sticking it to the man. He should feel right at home on Veruna, a water world with no land, where peace-loving people who have no modern weapons live on floating cities. It was plundered by Roxxas for its huge, multi-colored pearls, which should give Gates something to bitch about while he’s dodging large and/or small pearls.

88. SPIDER-BOY 2099 (Mig-El Gand of 21st century Earth) Vs. COLOSSAL BOY (Gim Allon of Mars) on Almeer-5.

The 2099 version of Spider-Boy has the same powers as Spider-Man, except his webcasting is inate. Also, unlike Mon-El, he only spent 100 years in an alternate dimension awaiting a cure for his incurable illness. Colossal Boy gets big, but has to call Dr. Gym’ll if he stays big for more than four hours. Almeer-5 is the far future home of Ultra-Man, ruled by the dictator Nevlor, a thinly disguised snark at one-time Marvel Comics owner Ron Perlman, via his cosmetics company Revlon. So, imagine it’s a planet that embodies everything you hate most about the one-time House of Ideas and stage this battle from there.

89. HATE-FACE ([unknown] of [unknown]) Vs. AVATAR (Ava of 100th century Almeer-5), at the Interplanetary Post Office.

And speaking of Almeer-5, here’s the planet’s Thor analong, who was doing the Thenderella thing 20 years before Jason Aaron thought to do it in the Thunder God’s main title. We don’t really know what Hate-Face’s power was, but based on his memorial rocket on Shanghalla — “Face of a devil, soul of an angel’ — I’d presume it has something to do with inducing fear at the sight of his horrible visage. Being able to render your oppoent powerless with incapacating fear at a single look can be a pretty powerful ability, although we can guess Avatar, being a God, has gazed upon worse. The Interplanetary Post Office is a space platform that tends to get attacked by space beasts quite a lot, so it’s kind of a shame no one ever thought of a way to transmit mail in some other fashion, electronically perhaps.

90. DEMON DAMSEL ([unknown] of Earth-22) Vs. PHAETHON (of 853rd century Solari), on Apokolips.

We don’t know much about Demon Damsel, apart from the fact that she was apparently mentioned as a future member of whatever Legion exists in the Kingdom Come Universe. Frankly, I’d never heard of her until preparing for this game. I happened upon a description of her while searching for headshots to use, so I threw her in the mix. Unfortuntely, said description did not say what her powers are. So, unless you now differently, I’m going to play on the codename and say she can create a demonic duplicate of herself. Phaethon is from the far-future Legion of Super-Familiars. He’s a dragon. He does what dragons do. I may be off here, but I’d say these are, of all the characters in Round One, the two who might feel most comfortable fighting in and around the fire pit sof Apokolips.

Portfolio Boy #832325 12/20/14 06:44 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader

91. MNEMONIC KID ([unknown] of Earth) Vs. BEHEMOTH (Bob Brunner of 100th century Almeer-5), on Lallor.

Mnemonic Kid is a Legion reject who can make people forget things, like making Fortress Lad forget how to revert from a clubhouse back to humanoid form, for instance. Even so, she could be practically powerless in this fight, as I’m not sure that Behemoth, being a Hulk analog, has much on his mind. Lallor is a pretty standard U.P. world, although it was ruled for some several decades by a dictator until the Heroes of Lallor came of age. Some stories have claimed the planet still suffers from the aftereffects of the nuclear weapons factory that blew up, irradiating the Heroes’ parents and giving them their mutant powers. So, think of Lallor as a planet-sized Chernobyl.

92. RETRO (Deen Toro of [unknown]) Vs. CHAMELEON BOY (Reep Daggle of Durla) on Fwang.

Here’s another fight that a Legion stalwart could conceivably lose. We all know what Chameleon Boy can do. Well, we think we do at least. There remains some debate over the degree to which he can mimic function as well as form. I think we can all agree that imitating a phantom is something just this side of blue-star-brought-to-earth kooky. But when he imitates a bird, can he fly? Or, when he decides to look like a lightning beast, can he zap kids in crashed space cruisers? Meanwhile, Retro is a reboot-era Legion Academy student with the ability to rewind time. So, he could be moments away from losing to Reep, as we’re almost certain he would be, then rewind time and try again. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. As many times as it takes to get it right. Fwang is the homeworld of Fortress Lad. I don’t know if everyone from Fwang can turn into an inverted rocketship, but let’s say so and see where that takes you.

93. IMMORTO ([unknown] of [unknown]) Vs. GAS GIRL (Tal Nahii of Lallor), on Thar.

Immorto is the Wanderer who could not die. But lucky for Gas Girl, from the Heroes of Lallor, she doesn’t have to kill him, just transform into a gas that will knock him out long enough for her to be declared the winner. Still, it might not be as easy as that. Knowing that he can’t die, Immorto’s been known to take some pretty hairy risks, a la Captain Jack Harkness, of Doctor Who fame. Thar is not Polar Boy’s homeworld, as you’ll note the single R. Actually, Edmund Hamliton seemed to have a thing for “thar,” as it plays the root part of many of his planet names. Probably a story there, somewhere. Anyway, this Thar is a world known for its "living paintings," which employ a living liquid to create figures that constantly move. On Thieves' Planet, a pair of Pyramid-Men tried to sell a stash of stolen living paintings to the Legion. Later, Thar was mentioned as the homeworld of Olen Jor, a blue-skinned humanoid with an android-like appearance, who used his power of super-hypnotism for crime, until jailed.

94. MATTER-EATER LAD (Tenzil Kem of Bismoll) Vs. REFLECTO (Stig Ah of Rimbor), on Vanishing World.

I’m sure everyone wants Tenzil to win, in Round One at least. Heck, I bet some of you are already plotting a path to ultimate victory for him. But how does he get past Reflecto, who can play I’m rubber, you’re glue with anything M-E Lad can try to chew down on top of him. The one hope Tenzil might have is that, unlike Devlin O’Ryan, whose similar power works by, er . . . Reflex, Stig has to use his power consciously. So, Tenzil could take him by surprise. Their battle setting was dropped into an early Adventure-era story as a future mission for the Legion, one they apparently never got around to. It’s a planet where swarms of monsters resembling giant tentacled dogs with antennae “build fantastic machines unceasingly for some unguessable purpose.” The world simply vanishes if anyone approaches. So, while you’re trying to figure out how Tenzil wins this fight, you can also solve a 50-year-old mystery and suss out the unguessbale purpose of Vanishing World

95. STAR BOY (Thom Kallor of Xanthu) Vs. CALAMITY KING (E. Davis Ester of Touston), on the Blight homeworld.

Ah, pity poor Star Boy, the luckless legionnaire. He’s been hexed by Calamity King once before, and ended up getting drummed out of the Legion as a result. So, he’s sure to be wary of E. Davis’ power to spontaneously generate bad luck for those around him. And, unfortunately, bad luck is an intangible thing that Thom can’t weigh down, no matter how he tries. One good thing about this battle, however — sending Calamity King to the Blight homeworld is almost certain to set back their invasion plans by several decades, at least. I chose the threeboot version of Star Boy for racial diversity, and because this fella was pretty accident prone even without Calamity King’s help.

96. STONE BOY (Dag Wentim of Zwen) Vs. MANDALLA (Tari Wahlmunn of Takron-Galtos), on Asteroid ZYX.

Don’t remember Asteroid ZYX? It appeared when the girl Legionnaires revolted under the hypnotic command of Queen Azure of Femnaz. Phantom Girl lured Star Boy there because it was the lair of a deadly plant, the Gowampi Trigocerus Lympodiary, a self-propelled yellow and orange globe which, when fully ripe, explodes into “a shower of death-dealing pollen.” Stone Boy should be able to escape death in his petrified form. He may also be able to resist Mandella’s hallucinatory powers in that form as well. I seem to recall that, after years of practice, Dag was able to achieve some limited mobility while in stone form. So, heck, let’s give him that, too.

97. SUPERBOY (Kal-El of 20th century Krypton/Earth) Vs. SPLITTER (Floyd Belkin of Lallor), on Winath.

“Hi, I’m Superboy, I can move planets with by bare hands.” “Hi, I’m Splitter, I can make my arms fall off.” So . . . yeah, this one seems like a gimmie. I feel bad for poor Floyd. He wants SO badly to be a super-hero (because I’m using the Legion cartoon version, rather than the prior inept fool or bully cersions). But, sadly, not every mutation caused by the irradiation of a planet proves beneficial. He just goes to show that, while comics may be the reverse of the real world, where 99.9 percent of mutations are evolutionary dead ends, not everyone in comics ends up on the lucky end of the radioactive stick. Winath is a farm planet, as you well know. I doubt Floyed is any more terrifying in a field than on a city street. He’d make a hell of a scarcrow, though.

98. PHANTOM GIRL (Tinya Wazzo of Bgztl) Vs. THUNDER (Cece Beck of 91st century Binderaan), on Marzal.

This is a tough one to pick. I have to imagine most will side with Phantom Girl, based on popularity and experience. But Thunder, despite never being a fan-favorite addition to the Legion mythos, is a formidable foe. She’s a tough competitor, with a toolkit that puts her among the powerhouse elite. We also have to keep in mind that Tinya’s power is primarily defensive in nature. She’s level-headed and mature, and not one to spook easily in a fight (despite what Levitz tried to turn her into as he walked out the door), but there’s only so much she can do offensively. Of course, how Marzal will react to two white chicks slapping each other all over their island nation is anyone’s guess. Probably sell tickets, I should imagine.

99. WORMHOLE (of 853rd century open space) Vs. FORTRESS LAD ([unknown] of Fwang), in the Fortress of Solitude.

Wormhole is a giant space bug from the future Super-Pets with the abilty to bend time and space. Fortress Lad is a clubhouse. Which is kind of gross, when you think about it. I mean, walk down any hallway and you may actually be strolling down his large intestine. Ewwww! Also, there’s not really a lot of room for him to do his thing inside the Fortress of Solitude, unless, Fortress in fortres, he’s trying to do the whole Russian nesting doll thing. But, there’s a lot of weird stuff in storage and on open display in Superman’s man cave. Wormhole could inadvertantly defeat himself by upsetting the wrong alien thing-a-ma-jigger.

100. BRAINIAC 417 (of 853rd century Colu-Bgztl) Vs. TURTLE (Bogdan Tarka of Doopa), at the Interplanetary Zoo.

This Brainiac of Justice Legion L combines the powers of his namesake with those of Phantom Girl. Turtle is a threeboot Legion reservist who has super-stamina and invulnerabilty. He may need it at this battle location as any disruption of the animal cages, intentional or not, could set off a multi-species stampede for the ages. This fight would seemingly go to the intangible smarty, but you never know, if terrorized heads of Venusian Broncophants don’t smoosh 417, Turtle could just give him the bum’s rush, personally. In essence, this fight comes down to brains versus brawn, and which one you pick probably says as much about you as it does the characters.

Portfolio Boy #832326 12/20/14 06:48 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader

101. SUPERBOY II (Kon-El of 20th century Earth) Vs. KONK! ([unknown] of Xanthu), On Khundia.

So, for this one, I’m going with the pre-New 52 Superboy, the one with the sunglasses, leather jacket and tactile telekinesis, along with a super-sized (figuratively) thing for the ladies. In the latter regard, Konk is liable to throw him a curve. Kon’s met a lot of hotties, but never one who’s head floats above her body and flies around independently, smashing into things like a cannonball. He’ll soon learn, don’t forget the face, but watch the body! Khundia, meanwhile, is bound to rally its forced against anyone popping up with an S-shield on his chest, so that could play against Kon as well.

102. CAMERA-EYE KID ([unknown] of [unknown]) Vs. KONO (Britta An’nan of Sklar), on Tyrraz.

Camera-Eye Kid, or whatver his actual codename might be, has multi-dimensional, cross-time super-vision, an eidetic memory, and visual memory playback capabilities. He’d make a GREAT member of the Legion Espionage Squade, but the team, in its infinate wisdom, rejected him out of hand. Tyrraz, the home planet of Tyr, probably has a LOT of illegal weapons it’s not anxious for him to see. So, a great deal of attention will likely be played to his appearance on the planet. Kono, with the ability to increase or nullify gravity, is a little thief, so no doubt she’ll take full advantage of the mayhem might ensue.

103. X-BOMB BETTY ([unknown] of [unknown]) Vs. SHAPE (of 75th century Durla), on Zadron.

Shape is another future Durlan and does what Durlans do. Betty was a Legion reject. She can create an explosion equal to a 150 million megaton bomb. Impressive, but she can only do it once, because once she does, POOF, no more Betty. We don’t know much of Zadron except that it’s the home planet of Tharok, of Fatal Five fame. He was originally a small-time crook of low mentality who got his right side zapped by cops while trying to commit a heist that would impress a local crime syndicate into letting him join. So, I like to think of Zadron as the Prohibition-Era Chicago of Space.

104. PROTY II (of a planet near Antares) Vs. TYPHOON ([unknown] of [unknown]), on Lurna.

Proty II is a clever little protoplasmic blob, so let’s not underestimate him as a mere Super-Pet. Typhoon was to have been a member of Dave Cockrum’s Outsiders. Whether he had full elemental powers or was limited to creating typhoons is unknown. But really, wouldn’t that be enough? Lurn is home to a great variety of fantastic creatures, including a Kryptonian Flame-Beast. How it got there we don’t know and, surprisingly, no one ever asked when Sun Boy tricked into recharging his powers. It should have lots of oceans for Typhoon to whip up into gullywhumper-style storms, but also lots of strange beasts big and small for Proty to imitate.

105. SILVER SWORD (Trebia Rejleigh of Buenapar) Vs. INSECT QUEEN II (Lonna Leing of Xanthu), on Bizarro World.

Silver Sword was one of the heroes captured during the Universo Project. Her sword gives her great strength and endurance, but apparently not much else. It doesn’t flame, or shoot energy blasts, or even cut atoms. However, Trebia does happen to be a historian, and member of the Society of Historical Speculation to boot. So, she’d likely relish the chance to be on Bizarro World in order to learn about Earth culture by studying how the Bizarro’s try to reverse it. This Insect Queen can do everything Lana can do, but presumably does not need a bio ring. How Bizarros would react to her — bugs are both gross and cool, after all — is anybody’s guess. We don’t know much about Lonna’s personality, but I like to think of her as the All-Xanthusian girl next door, in direct contrast to Lana’s traditional Mean Girl portrayal.

106. DAWNSTAR (of Starhaven) Vs. COMMAND KID (Jeem Rhetu o Pretzor), on Durla.

Dawnstar should have no problem locating Command Kid, but what then? She may end up too busy fighting off the natives, who are notoriously hostile to off-worlders. Command Kid can set Dawnstar and the Durlans at each other through the judicious use of his hallucinatory powers, using the same to keep himself hidden while Dawnstar is worn down by battle. After all, unless Durla happens to have a mother lode of gold somewhere — the demon that controls Jeem and is responsible for his powers is instantly exorcised by gold — this one could easily turn into an upset for the underdog. Even so, Dawnstar might be able to flush the demon out of Jeem’s system, even without gold. A quick grab and dash into the upper atmosphere just might do the trick.

107. VARA (of 863rd century [unknown]), Vs. MAGNETIC KID II (Pol Krinn of Braal), on Talus.

Vara is the Saturn Girl analog from the far future. We don’t know for certain, but she probably has telepathic powers. Whatever her powers are, it’s a cinch she’s just learning to use them under Wildfire’s tutelage. Pol, on the other hand, is about as good as it’s possible for a magnetic manipulator to get. He spent something like 30 years at Legion Academy and must have managed to get some training in when not actively engaged in his buddy bromance with Shadow Kid. Talus is the planetoid, about two miles across, that was home to the Legion in the Five Years Later timeline. It’s pretty much devoid of life, so Vara will have to focus her attention on Pol, who should have all manner of discarded ferrous junk to throw around.

108. GEAR (I.Z.O.R. of Lisnar) Vs. BEPPO (of 20th century Krpyton), on Takron-Galtos.

Gear is a cyborg able to make gadgets out of himself to serve any situation. I refer to his power as auto-MacGyverism. Beppo is a monkey. A Super-monkey, to be sure, but still a monkey. You’d think Gear would be able to come up with some do-dad that’d capture the little simian’s attention, toss it into some cell, and lock Beppo in when he chases after it. It better be a cell lined with kryptonite, however, because Beppo has all of Superman’s powers, plus, one imagines, super-poop throwing.

109. MON-EL (Lar Gand of 20th century Daxam) Vs. CANNUS (Cahvey Cannius of Sirius Station), on Maltus.

So, Mon-El seems to have drawn a battle that promises to be almost as one-sided as Superboy’s. Cannus is a Legion Academy student (a draftee, actually) and, being from a race of dog people, has dog powers. Super tracker, super slobberer, super-butt sniffing, that kind of thing. He probably also kicks ass at fetch. However, as long as he doesn’t come running back with a lead pipe, Mon-El should do just fine. Maltus was the birthplace of the Guardians of the Universe, as well as the Zamarons and the Controllers. So, come to think of it, Cannus could turn up all manner of things useful against, and even deadly to, Mon-El.

110. PARTICON ([unknown] of [unknown]) Vs. KID QUANTUM (James Cullen of Xanthu), on Medicus One.

Particon was a member of Workforce who wielded an energy staff. Other than that, she had no powers, although I’d say it’s reasonably to assume she’s accomplished as a hand-to-hand combatant. Kid Quantum has the same ability to freeze time that his sister has, but his range is almost nil without his booster belt. So, if Particon can manage to avoid his quantum spheres long enough to get in a shot that shorts out James’ belt, she could take this fight. However, they’ll be doing their fighting in an orbiting medical satellite, so it will be close quarters, which would seem to give the advantage to James. Unless he gets cocky, and he usually gets cocky. It’s his thing.

Portfolio Boy #832327 12/20/14 06:52 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader

111. SATURN GIRL (Imra Ardeen of Titan) Vs. EARTH-MAN (Kirt Neidrigh of Earth), on Murgador.

Here’s another potential upset. Saturn Girl is one of the most powerful telepaths ever. But, when in her vicinity, so is Earth-Man. The saving grace for Imra is that Kirt has been shown to be unable to immediately control strong powers. Having taken on Imra’s abilities, he could suddenly find himself overwhelmed with nearby thoughts. On the other hand, that was in his Absorbancy Boy days. By the time he adopted his Earth Man nom de guerre, he had enough experience under his belt to handle whatever when on inside his head. Murgador is a peaceful world rich in mineral deposits that was once enslaved by the Warlords of Thargg. Freed by the Legion, they are likely to be sympathetic to Saturn Girl in this fight.

112. ATMOS (Marak Russen of Xanthu) Vs. COMPUTO II (Danielle Foccart of Earth), at Metropolis Spaceport.

Atmos has many powers, even if he is lacking in armpits. He radiates energy and throws power blasts. He can fly. He’s a hypnotist. And he has super-strength and super-speed. He’s the full package and he knows it. Seriously, just ask him. Danielle, on the other hand, talks to computers and can make them do her bidding. If she can avoid Atmos’ initial volley, Metropolis Spaceport, no doubt loaded with computers, should present her with any number of options for taking out what is, on paper at least, a more powerful foe.

113. WHITE WITCH (Mysa Nal of Naltor) Vs. DAV (of 863rd century [unknown]), on Daxam.

Dav is the final member of the 863rd century Legion to show up in this contest. We don’t know what his powers are, but if we accept the trend set by the LSV and Superboy-TV versions of the Legionnaires Three, it’s probably not magnetism. Since Cosmic King’s power was transmutation, and Shift’s was teleportation, let’s make Dav’s transcendation — he can use his inner light to overcome any obstacle, sort of like Nemesis Kid. Mysas’ magic is probably a match for him though, no matter what his powers are. Daxam is pretty much a standard U.P. world, albeit one that is pretty advanced in the Hippocratic arts. Its people are super only offworld under a yellow son. So, I don’t see the setting having much impact here, but maybe you see something I don’t.

114. SIZZLE (Teela Spuunvll of Abaddonus) Vs. SAVITAR (of 853rd century Solaris), on Myrnah.

Sizzle is a threeboot reservist who can turn any form of energy into some other form of energy. Savitar is the other space dragon from the 853rd-century Legion of Super-Familiars. Can Sizzle turn his fire breath into something else and direct it back at him? Probably. Myrnah is the world on which no crime or misdeed has occurred since Braino used his mind-power to funnel into himself all evil that existed on the planet. So, one imagines the people here will not tolerate unfair gameplay on either side.

115. KRYPTON GIRL (Lois Lane of 20th century Krypton) Vs. POWER BOY (Jed Rikane of Earth), at Nullport.

Although we have lots of alternate reality Legionnaires in this contest, Krypton Girl is the only imaginary one. She’s a what-if-Lois-Lane-came-from-Krypton creation. She has all of the powers of Superman, but with all of the personality drawbacks of Silver Age Lois. She’s kind of a bossy, self-centered, know-it-all. Think Lucy Van Pelt with a steno pad. Power Boy boasts total density control of the atoms in his body. He can become intangible enough to walk though walls, or super-dense enough to be super-strong and damn near immovable. Nullport is a space station run by a cigar-smoking horse.

116. LUME (of Silvan) Vs. COSMIC BOY (Rokk Krinn of Braal), on Geequo.

Cosmic Boy has been shown to be powerful enough to affect the iron in a person’s body. That won’t work with Lume, however, given that he’s made of light. So, how does Rokk defeat a living flashlight beam. Your guess is as good as mine. The males on Geequo have a charismatic power over women that makes all females fall in love with them, becoming eager to do their bidding. As a result, Geequo has a very chauvinistic, male-dominated society. If he wears his Bronze Age costume, I suppose Rokk might be able to woo a few of the ladies — the ugly one’s anyway, who no Geequ dude wants, making them eager enough for any man to do as he says. With that help, he may be able to box Lume in somehow. Keep in mind, also, that Lume rejected Legion membership because he refused to leave his homeworld. So, he may be too super-freaked to be on another planet for the first time. For what it’s worth, Lume was the only one of the 247 characters in this game for whom I could not find a single image online. The one above is taken from the micro-heroes site.

117. TOMB ([unknown] of [unknown]) Vs. ANIMAL LAD (Ennis Janhson of Earth), on Xanthu.

We don’t know what Tomb’s power was, but the Legion Academy draftee probably had some power over the dead, whether he could wake them as zombies to do his bidding, or possess living people to act like zombies. Whatever his power, I’m pretty intent that it involve zombies. Animal Lad’s power of being able to turn people into animals, and visa-versa, was actually said to be good enough to make the Legion, and his aura showed that he was incorruptible. His misfortune was to apply at a time when Dynamo Boy was running the team and in search of fellow villains to fill out the ranks. Xanthu has been shown to be enough different things that you can imagine almost anything you like here. Me, I go with rainbow bridges and parakats prowling jungle mountaintops.

118. TARA (of 23rd century Earth-STV) Vs. FERRO LAD (Andrew Nolan of Earth), on Rimbor.

And here’s Tara, from the Legion-like team in the future of the Superboy TV show. She’s a telepath. She’s also a wild child and more than likely would take to Rimbor’s frontier ways. Probably end up running a space brothel there, left to her own devices. Ferro Lad turns to iron, of course, and has been shown to be sensitive enough that he’d probably blush under his facemask at some of the sights Rimbor has to offer the weary traveller just off the space-stagecoach. He’d probably blow himself up once again for the shame of it all.

119. XS (Jenni Ognats of Aarok) Vs. RAINBOW GIRL (Dori Aandraison of Xolnar), at the Metropolis Time Institute.

XS could probably turn up a cosmic treadmill at the Time Institute, although if she used it she might turn into the Time Trapper, so lookout for that. Rainbow Girl can manipulate the emotional spectrum, which is one of those super-powers that can mean whatever you need it to mean in order to satisfy the plot. I’d like to think XS would win this fight easily, but she’s never been depicted as the most emotionally mature Legionnaire, and might be easy to manipulate in this fashion, just because she’s the kind of teenage girl who wears her heart on her sleeve and is just bursting with new (to her) feelings.

120. CALORIE QUEEN (Taryn Loy of Bismoll) Vs. REFLEX (Devlin O’Ryan of Earth), in Kandor.

The Bottle City of Kandor probably holds many fascinations for the news reporter in Devlin’s soul. I imagine he could file stories from this location for days, weeks, or even months. But he’s not here to work, he’s here to fight. Initially, I had Dreamer II of 853rd century Naltor on this list. But she’s in a permanent narcoleptic state. All she does is lay there, with a television monitor in her forehead so other’s can watch her precognitive dreams. So, I made an executive decision and pulled her from the contest. In her place, I threw all members from the Legion of Super-Rejects into a hat and drew one. So, let’s hear it for Calorie Queen, able to metabolize her anything meals into super-strength. That should give Reflex something to think about.

Portfolio Boy #832329 12/20/14 06:55 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader

121. ESTIMATE LAD ([unknown] of [unknown]) Vs. BABBAGE (I45ENG/Nth Series of Robotica), on Quarantine.

This is a battle that cracks me up. Do you remember the Star Trek episode where Kirk literally talked a computer to death? I see that happening here. I envision Estimate Lad estimating the many ways he intends to kick Babbage’s ass, and Babbage’s robot mind simply going into overload trying to process the sheer inaccuracy of it all, so demonstrably wrong, yet presented with such assuredness as to preclude argument. Five minutes with E-Lad would fry anyone’s circuits. Quarantine is a hospital planet (or satellite, depending on the era). That probably won’t affect Babbage, but might put Estimate Lad under the weather if he’s not careful.

122. SHIFT II (of 23rd century Earth-STV) Vs. GOLDEN BOY (Klint Stewirt of Earth), in Weisinger Plaza, Metropolis.

Shift is the Cosmic Boy analog from the future of the comic book adaptation of the Superboy syndicated TV show. There’s got to be an easier way to explain that. Anyway, like Cosmic King, he does not have magnetic powers. Instead, he’s a teleporter. Golden Boy has a midas touch. Weisinger Plaza is the courtyard in front of Legion headquarters. I suppose Klint could create a riot by randomly turning things to gold, and then pop Shift on the noggin while he’s distracted by tourists-gone-wild. Or, Shift could just teleport Golden Boy to the bottom of the ocean. It could go either way.

123. EYEFUL ETHEL (Ethel Lynn Niwtyn of Earth) Vs. DREAM GIRL (Nura Nal of Naltor), on Canopus.

Canopus is a world of giant, talking ants. So, I don’t think either lady is likely to be absolutely in love with her surroundings. Beyond that, this one could end up in a standoff. Ethel has full-spectrum, multi-dimensional vision in all directions. Dream Girl can see the future. Neither one is going to be able to make a move without the other knowing about it far in advance. Making matters worse, neither has much to offer in the way of offensive capabilities. Of course, Nura was trained in hand-to-hand combat by Karate Kid, so she has that going for her if she can manage to get in close enough to strike a blow. But then again, consider that Ethel eventually became a school teacher, so she’s probably pretty practiced at weilding a ruler against bare knuckles and can dodge a spitball with the best of them.

124. PORCUPINE PETE (Peter Dursin of Earth), on “Andal.”

And, FINALLY, we arrive at the last battle, where, due to an uneven number of combatants (247) we find our pal, Pete, the lucky winner of a bye into the next round. But, wait, not so fast. First, Pete has to survive the night on his randomly-selected planet. Andal is home to a race of aboriginal aliens who live in straw huts. Matter-Eater Lad saved them from a giant Mouth-Creature by eating all of the Red Andal trees, its favorite food, located near their village, which forced the monster to look elsewhere for its substance. It wasn’t eating the natives, by the way, just scaring the poor dears. So, you get two votes here. First, decide if you think Peter could last the night without calling to be rescued. Second, pick one of the characters you had lose in this round as most deserving to advance in Peter’s place, should be wuss out. Pick this alternate even if you think Pete could see the dawn, because a majority of those playing the game might vote against him.

Portfolio Boy #832334 12/20/14 07:14 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
And, for what it's worth, here are my picks. The why on each can probably be gleaned from the previous battle descriptions:

1. KRYPTO-9
2. SHIKARI
3. CHAMELEON GIRL
4. SPIDER-GIRL
5. THE MESS
6. “FALSE-PRETENSES LAD”
7. KARATE KID II
8. ANTENNAE BOY
9. CHEMICAL KID
10. KARATE KID
11. INFECTIOUS LASS
12. INFERNO II
13. ULTRA BOY
14. NIGHTCRAWLER
15. KINETIX
16. BOUNCING BOY
17. FERRO LAD II
18. PETE ROSS
19. DRAGONMAGE
20. GRAFT
21. GOOGAL
22. IMPULSE
23. OCTUS
24. FIRE-LAD
25. ELEMENT LAD
26. LEETA-87
27. FLEDERWEB
28. LAMPREY
29. LIGHTNING LAD
30. ATOM’X
31. LIGHTNING LORD
32. Mr. MXYZPTLK II
33. WILDFIRE
34. NEON
35. ULTRA-MAN
36. DARTALG
37. GREEN LANTERN
38. KRYPTO
39. GRAVITY KID
40. DUPLICATE GIRL
41. VEILMIST
42. LEX LUTHOR II
43. DOUBLE-HEADER
44. KID PSYCHO
45. KID QUANTUM II
46. WHIZZY
47. M’RISSEY
48. ECHO
49. BATMAN
50. BLOK
51. TELLUS
52. SHADOW KID
53. WESTERNER
54. SENSOR
55. CELEBRAND
56. MEMBRAIN
57. MOG YAGOR
58. IMPULSE II
59. POLAR BOY
60. SUPERGIRL
61. INVISIBLE KID
62. PRINCESS PROJECTRA
63. THE CHAMELEON
64. PSYCHE
65. TRIO
66. QUANTUM QUEEN
67. INSECT QUEEN
68. NIGHT GIRL
69. ENERGAX
70. COMET QUEEN
71. XERA
72. DUPLICATE BOY
73. SUN BOY
74. QUETZAL
75. BLAST-OFF
76. RANN ANTAR
77. LESTER SPIFFANY
78. TYROC
79. TRIAD III
80. COLOR KID
81. SHADOW LASS
82. LIGHTNING LASS
83. INVISIBLE KID II
84. CHEMICAL KING
85. FLATLINE (Ron-Karr)
86. GRAV
87. GATES
88. COLOSSAL BOY
89. HATE-FACE
90. PHAETHON
91. MNEMONIC KID
92. RETRO
93. GAS GIRL
94. REFLECTO
95. CALAMITY KING
96. STONE BOY
97. SUPERBOY
98. PHANTOM GIRL
99. WORMHOLE
100. TURTLE
101. SUPERBOY II
102. KONO
103. SHAPE,
104. PROTY II
105. INSECT QUEEN II
106. DAWNSTAR
107. MAGNETIC KID II
108. GEAR
109. MON-EL
110. PARTICON
111. SATURN GIRL
112. COMPUTO II
113. WHITE WITCH
114. SIZZLE
115. POWER BOY
116. LUME
117. ANIMAL LAD
118. FERRO LAD
119. XS
120. REFLEX
121. ESTIMATE LAD
122. SHIFT II
123. DREAM GIRL
124. PORCUPINE PETE (Yes)

CONSOLATION PICK: Cosmic Boy

Portfolio Boy #832361 12/20/14 08:35 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Awesome, and thank you for spreading the rounds out. I don't think I'll have much posting time between Christmas and New Year, and would not want to miss any rounds. I really missed playing this game.

Originally Posted by Portfolio Boy

26. LEETA-87 ([unknown] of [unknown]) Vs. BRAWLER ([unknown] of [unknown]), on Pasnic.

Pasnic is another world that has one half forever dark, the other in constant sun. So, one supposes at least half the planet is free of Banyo-fruit. Unless it's some kind of freaky alien fruit that actually grows in the dark, which would explain why it's so easy to overlook and slip on. We don't know what Leeta's powers were, although we might assume some variation of the traditional Kryptonian power set, given that she defeated innumerable villains before her unfortunate encounter with that damned Banyo-peel. Given her manner of death, we know Leeta was not invulnerable, or at least not all the time. Personally, I've always presumed she was a female version of Ultra Boy. I mean, chicks can get swallowed whole by giant ultra-beasts in space, too, right? I’ve always fancied that concept as it provides an object lesson for Ultra Boy. I picture him saying in battle, not to worry, he’ll switch from ultra-strength to ultra-invulnerability as needed, and Phantom Girl replying with something to the effect of, okay, but remember poor Leeta-87. Meanwhile, Brawler's only power is that he likes to fight. A lot. And, given that the two halves of Pasnic are in constant conflict, he'd probably be just as content to straddle the border and take comers from all sides, as to bother with Leeta at all.

Hope you don't mind the correction, but if this is Brawler from the Postboot era, he is from Moxie. Besides having enhanced physical strength and durability, he can "mind-mesh" with and control machinery.

Portfolio Boy #832362 12/20/14 08:38 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard

117. TOMB ([unknown] of [unknown]) Vs. ANIMAL LAD (Ennis Janhson of Earth), on Xanthu.

We don’t know what Tomb’s power was, but the Legion Academy draftee probably had some power over the dead, whether he could wake them as zombies to do his bidding, or possess living people to act like zombies. Whatever his power, I’m pretty intent that it involve zombies. Animal Lad’s power of being able to turn people into animals, and visa-versa, was actually said to be good enough to make the Legion, and his aura showed that he was incorruptible. His misfortune was to apply at a time when Dynamo Boy was running the team and in search of fellow villains to fill out the ranks. Xanthu has been shown to be enough different things that you can imagine almost anything you like here. Me, I go with rainbow bridges and parakats prowling jungle mountaintops.

Tomb is from Sarccus, on the outermost edge of the Fifth Galaxy. He and his people can control the bodily functions of other races - we see him preventing someone from breathing, and causing people to bleed.

110. PARTICON ([unknown] of [unknown]) Vs. KID QUANTUM (James Cullen of Xanthu), on Medicus One.

Particon was a member of Workforce who wielded an energy staff. Other than that, she had no powers, although I’d say it’s reasonably to assume she’s accomplished as a hand-to-hand combatant. Kid Quantum has the same ability to freeze time that his sister has, but his range is almost nil without his booster belt. So, if Particon can manage to avoid his quantum spheres long enough to get in a shot that shorts out James’ belt, she could take this fight. However, they’ll be doing their fighting in an orbiting medical satellite, so it will be close quarters, which would seem to give the advantage to James. Unless he gets cocky, and he usually gets cocky. It’s his thing.

Particon's energy staff is interesting. It seemed to be more of a manifestation of whatever energy powers she has; she could fire beams of energy, break through energy barriers, and she helped Mysa and Kinetix create a shield to deflect Mordru's final power-blast in Legionnaires 50.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/20/14 08:41 PM.
Portfolio Boy #832363 12/20/14 09:09 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
1) Magno didn't really lack in confidence, he was very optimistic. His Sci-Cop training would be a good asset. Magno for the win.
2) Shikari's pathfinding for the win
3) Chameleon Girl, who is pretty sneaky and can surprise Vorm
4) Plant Lad, environment is too suited to him
5) The Mess, for an upset!
6) Variable Lad, powers are too unpredictable
7) Karate Kid II
8) Antennae Boy
9) Shift for cunning/surprise factor
10) Comet the magical horse
11) Infectious Lass
12) Nightwind for being calm and level-headed
13) Ultra Boy
14) Nightcrawler - Otaki can sense him, but she can't do much about it if she does
15) Kinetix!! Like your comment about the hotness. Trying to impress her (though she didn't egg him on) was what got Atom'x killed!
16) Bouncing Boy
17) Ferro Lad II, simply because I don't see how Amp Girl will damage him without weapons
18) Pete Ross, who spreads catnip all over the area
19) Dragonmage
20) Silverwing
21) Atom Girl, I think she could pull something off with her knowledge of machinery. And she can become much smaller than a mouse.
22) Timber Wolf's killer instincts beat out Kent
23) Octus
24) Fire Lad
25) Saturn Queen. Threeboot Jan's powers are just too limited
26) Leeta-87, because Brawler's an arrogant prick tongue
27) Andromeda, if all else fails she uses heat vision
28) Lamprey
29) Lightning Lad
30) Atom'x
31) Life Lass, who can insulate herself with rubber. If she's fast and smart enough anyway.
32) Mr. MXYZPTLK II, who is both good AND magical!
33) Wildfire
34) Neon, whose range is infinitely greater than someone who can just punch things
35) Ultra-Man, who is good and noble unlike Harmonia!
36) Dartalg, who can take Energy Boy by surprise
37) Green Lantern Xenofobe, who I would guess is craftier than Nemesis Kid
38) Krypto
39) Gravity Kid, who can just cast a grav-field around him
40) Duplicate Girl, she can fly too and just beat up Argent
41) Veilmist, one of the best and most versatile teleporters ever
42) Lex Luthor II. This Telekinesis wanderer couldn't even move a large robot!
43) Nervosa, who clocks Double-Header while they are too busy arguing
44) The Umbra, not sure how Kid Psycho can stop a living shadow
45) Kid Quantum II
46) Whizzy, poor Blockade Boy isn't that storng
47) Catspaw. M'Rissey is smart but she is cunning in her own right
48) Echo
49) Batman!!!
50) Monstress, I think she is slightly less of a pacifist
51) Tellus
52) Gazelle, home field advantage won me over
53) Laurel Kent
54) Sensor
55) Celebrand
56) Mentalla, who I think is a slightly better (?) telepath
57) Mog Yagor
58) Kromak
59) Polar Boy, assuming he acts fast enough
60) Supergirl
61) Visi-Lad, infra-red spectrum wins out
62) Princess Projectra
63) The Chameleon
64) Psyche
65) Rond Vidar, I'll assume he sends Trio back in time or something
66) Quantum Queen
67) Insect Queen, whom I think is craftier than Crystal Kid despite the usefulness of the Kid's powers. Kole is my peg for crystal users.
68) Night Girl, assuming her powers don't completely go out
69) Energax, I think he's powerful enough to take on three normal humans
70) Comet Queen
71) Xera
72) Nimbok, I have little confidence in Duplicate Boy's smarts
73) Sun Boy
74) Titangirl, who is more like a telepathic gestalt than a human being
75) Blast-Off
76) Quake Kid
77) Phase II
78) Tyroc
79) Anti-Lad
80) Color Kid, let's give it to the underdog
81) Shadow Lass
82) Quislet
83) Invisible Kid II
84) Chemical King
85) Implicate Girl
86) Galaxy
87) Gates
88) Colossal Boy
89) Avatar
90) Phaethon
91) Behemoth
92) Chameleon Boy
93) Gas Girl, all she has to do is put Immorto to sleep
94) Reflecto
95) Calamity King, who doesn't even have to get near Star Boy
96) Stone Boy. Mandalla can't hurt him in this form
97) Superboy
98) Phantom Girl, who can just stay phantom until she finds a way to beat Thunder.
99) Wormhole
100) Brainiac 417, who can stay phased as well
101) Konk!, who will just headbutt Superboy into submission
102) Kono
103) X-Bomb Betty, I bet she can only explode once but she won't die doing it!
104) Typhoon
105) Insect Queen II
106) Dawnstar
107) Magnetic Kid II
108) Gear
109) Mon-El
110) Particon
111) Saturn Girl
112) Computo II
113) White Witch
114) Sizzle
115) Power Boy
116) Lume, I agree Cos can't do much against a being made of light
117) Tomb
118) Ferro Lad
119) XS
120) Calorie Queen
121) Babbage
122) Shift II
123) Dream Girl
124) Yes, I think Pete can hack it

Loser to advance: Spider-Girl

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/22/14 05:29 AM.
Portfolio Boy #832364 12/20/14 09:28 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
1. KRYPTO-9 Vs. MAGNO, on Krypton.

I'm guessing the environment will somehow work to Krypto-9's advantage. Winner: Krypto-9

2. “URK” Vs. SHIKARI, on Throon.

Yeah, I'm just not seeing anyway Urk can pull this off. Winner: Shikari.

3. DYNAMO-BOY Vs. CHAMELEON GIRL, in Brainy’s Lab.

Dynamo-Boy can do tons of stuff with his power belt. Winner: Dynamo-Boy.

4. PLANT LAD Vs. SPIDER-GIRL, on Arbro.

Yeah, the environment is too perfect for PL. Winner: Plant Lad.

5. RADION Vs. THE MESS, on Inanor.

The Mess attracts lead particles and uses them as defense against radiation. Winner: The Mess.

6. “FALSE-PRETENSES LAD” Vs. VARIABLE LAD, on Bismoll.

Got to give it to Variable Lad. Winner: Variable Lad.

7. KARATE KID II Vs. MWINDAJI, on Steeple.

Yeah, weaksauce Dawnstar isn't going to do much against Myg. Winner: Karate Kid II.

8. ANTENNAE BOY Vs. MAGNETIC KID, on Brogg.

Magnetic Kid quickly figures out the monsters aren't real, while Antennae Lad is still distracted by them. MK then just has to attract him and AL is out. Winner: Magnetic Kid.

9. SHIFT Vs. CHEMICAL KID, on Lost World.

Pretty sure Chemical Kid could control the processes by which Durlans shape-shift, or something. Anyway, I'll give it to him. Winner: Chemical Kid.

10. COMET Vs. KARATE KID, on Thaun.

KK could fight Superboy to a standstill for awhile. But a magic super-horse? I doubt it. Winner: Comet.

More later.

Portfolio Boy #832365 12/20/14 09:34 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
IB - Thank you for the corrections! The Brawler I thinking of is the Academy draftee who appeared in the Showcase story with Tomb and Cannus. To my knowledge, only Cannus ever made a second appearance.

Portfolio Boy #832366 12/20/14 10:04 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
11. JEYRA ENTINN Vs. INFECTIOUS LASS, on Vannar.

Titan Girl uses her powers to learn exactly what horrendous disease she's about to collapse from. Winner: Infectious Lass.

12. NIGHTWIND Vs. INFERNO II, on Zwen.

Pretty evenly matched powerwise, but Nightwind has a lot more discipline. Winner: Nightwind.

13. ULTRA BOY Vs. SUPER-BIRD, on New Shanghai.

Got to go with Jo here, outsmarting the birdbrain. Winner: Ultra Boy.

14. NIGHTCRAWLER Vs. OTAKI, on Naltor.

Disappearing into the shadows isn't going to do Nightcrawler much good, but you don't have to be a Naltorian to predict an easy victory over Otaki even without that. Winner: Nightcrawler.

15. EVOLVO-LAD Vs. KINETIX, on Murra.

It's well-known that the Murrans are gay, so Zoe's hotness won't be the advantage you suggest. However, her telekinesis is a lot more powerful than that of Evolvo Lad's advanced form, and his apeman form isn't going to be very useful. Winner: Kinetix.

16. BOUNCING BOY Vs. BLACKOUT BOY, on Althar.

Blackout Boy darkens the entire area, so that Chuck can't see. Chuck simply bounces around in the dark until he splats Graah. Winner: Bouncing Boy.

17. AMP GIRL Vs. FERRO LAD II, on Antares.

Yeah, Amp Girl isn't really going to be able to do anything to Douglas. Ferro Lad II defeats her easily, and then the Proties use lost Llorn tech to fix his inhuman face. Yay! Winner: Ferro Lad II.

18. STREAKY Vs. PETE ROSS, on Rorbis.

Um... I'm going to say that Pete somehow uses the Interplanetary Rodeo to his advantage, since all he has to do is distract Streaky long enough until his x-kryptonite powers wear off. Winner: Pete Ross.

19. DRAGONMAGE Vs. LODESTONE, on Elia.

Yeah, the plant tech definitely goes against Lodestone. Dragonmage lacks precise control over his power, but his raw power still overcomes Lodestone. Winner: Dragonmage.

20. SILVERWING Vs. GRAFT, at Starhaven.

Er... Silverwing was kind of cool, so I'll give it to her over Graft. Winner: Silverwing.

Portfolio Boy #832367 12/20/14 10:17 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
IB - Thank you for the corrections! The Brawler I thinking of is the Academy draftee who appeared in the Showcase story with Tomb and Cannus. To my knowledge, only Cannus ever made a second appearance.

My pleasure PB, and thanks for reading through them so quickly! We are thinking of the same Brawler, Tomb and Cannus then. You also got it right that Cannus was originally said to be from Anthropologia, and then this was switched to Sirius Station in his second appearance.

I'm really glad this game is back!

Portfolio Boy #832368 12/20/14 10:18 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
EDE - You say Silverwing was kind of cool. What were he powers, other than flight? Same question with Argent, I guess. Also, I think I might have had their genders reversed.

Portfolio Boy #832370 12/20/14 10:45 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Not really sure, but their wings were metallic. Anyway, they look cool!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,076
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Mystery Lad
Mystery Lad
Knoxville, TN
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star