Roll Call
1 members (stile86), 61 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/14/24 09:18 PM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by Pov - 05/14/24 09:11 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/14/24 08:53 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/14/24 08:52 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Sarcasm Kid - 05/14/24 08:49 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/14/24 08:44 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes Fansets Pins
by Nightcrawler - 05/14/24 08:43 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/14/24 08:42 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Justice League United #9
#838593 02/11/15 04:41 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Well, a lot more happened in this issue than last...in fact the story might be all wrapped up if it wasn't for one little problem caused by Brainiac 5...that could wipe out the whole Legion!

For me the big thing in this issue, after reading JLU #8 last month is to note what Legionnaires are present and who are missing. Almost all the Original/Retroboot Legionnaies make an appearance, including Sun Boy for the first time in the present, and who's missing?..... Everyone you guys got excited about last issue!

I'd really like to see Lemire's casting notes to see which Legionnaires he actually had planned on using in this arc vs. who got thrown in for the fun of it.

Nice sense of Legion teamwork in this issue. I especially liked the use of Gates, Colossial Boy and Phantom Girl to help catch one of the bad guys. Also, members of JLU contributed as well. It was good to see them reclaim some of the spotlight after last month's all Legion issue.

Re: Justice League United #9
Leather Wolf #838597 02/11/15 08:36 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think, as I mentioned last time, that the Rebooters may have been a little license on the part of the art team, as they weren't recognized in the dialogue or roll call, and in this issue they are gone again. There was an interesting theory on one of the Facebook groups that they appeared as part to Infinitus changing time, but I think that's a bit of a no-prize.

This issue was actually decent. The Legion shows up, works together, does stuff. I liked the scenes LW mentions above.

There were some classic Legion cliches: Wildfire's suit shredded, Brainy critically miscalculates something, Chuck proves his worth after being made fun of, etc. But even derivative Legion tropes are still better than a poorly portrayed team, and I don't think they came off all that bad here.

Leather Wolf #838674 02/11/15 11:15 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Actually XS did have a speaking part last issue, which is one reason that I was suprised that she and the other reboot Legionnaires were missing this issue. Of course, not all of the Retroboot Legionnaires were shown this issue either (i.e. Tellus, etc.) so they may really be there but not depicted, but you'd have thought at least on or two of the reboot members would have been pictured somewhere.

I'm looking forward to next issue. I'm assuming at the end of the story there will be a group shot of the Legionnaires together. Perhaps then we will see if Lemire's Legion is just made up of the Retroboot members or if it's more of a composite Legion made up of members from all eras.

Leather Wolf #838682 02/12/15 12:32 AM
E
Substitute
Substitute
E
I liked the composite Legion and hope it sticks. Guess we will see next issue.

Leather Wolf #838800 02/13/15 01:07 AM
Honorary
Honorary
I haven't been reading this title but I'm thinking about picking it up as the Legion seems to be gaining in significance. Couple of questions: When does the Legion first appear and Is it necessary to read the pre- legion appearance issues to know what's going on? Thanks in advance for your help

Whaddya mean I'm out of continuity?
Leather Wolf #838814 02/13/15 08:28 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Since hardly anybody has commented on JLU #9 thus far, I thought I'd share one regular Legion review that I read and throw it into the mix.

Supergirl Comic Box Commentary: Justice League United #9 Review

So, do you agree with this reviewer's take on this issue? Do you think this issue was crap? Have you even read this issue? Why or why not?

Sean Retconnery #838817 02/13/15 08:59 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally Posted by Sean Retconnery
I haven't been reading this title but I'm thinking about picking it up as the Legion seems to be gaining in significance. Couple of questions: When does the Legion first appear and Is it necessary to read the pre- legion appearance issues to know what's going on? Thanks in advance for your help

You're jumping in on this arc at just the right time. Next month, JLU #10 concludes the storyline. This story began in JLU Annual #1 and cintinued in JLU #6, 7, 8, 9. I did buy #5 because Mon-el appears in the last frame as a lead in to the Annual, but that is really not necessary. I hadn't read any previous issues of JLU, and while there are some continuing plot threads from previous stories intertwined in this arc, they are nonessential to understanding the Legion storyline.

I too was hesitant about jumping on board this arc, or making it a permanent part of my Legion collection, but I'm glad I did. Just the fact that it resolves the recent Legion Lost series and reunites that team with the rest of the Legion, makes this storyline important from a collector's continuity standpoint. Just be warned, this arc doesn't fall in continuity with Levitz's recent New 52 run (except for the back up story in LSH vol. 7 #8), but it does fit nicely with Levitz's vol. 6 run, for the most part.

Happy reading!

Leather Wolf #838819 02/13/15 09:30 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
Originally Posted by Leather Wolf
....Just be warned, this arc doesn't fall in continuity with Levitz's recent New 52 run....

Which is an interesting point.

In an online 'comment/discussion' on Bleeding Cool News, the idea that Justice League 300/3001 may actually be the de facto 'Legion' of Earth-51 (too lengthy to explain here but you should read it).

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/12/justice-league-3000-taking-place-earth-51/

With (arguable) evidence to support that the recent Levitz run Legion was actually the Legion of Earth-2 and, according to Multiversity, that the reboot Legion is actually from what is now being designated as Earth-22 (again, arguably so) while the threeboot Legion is from Earth-33 (formerly Earth Prime - again, thanks to Multiversity)... all of this could lead one to believe that we have not yet seen the Earth-0 (Nu52) Legion.

Unless, we're seeing it now....

Anyone's thoughts?

Leather Wolf #838868 02/13/15 04:00 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
I simply cannot fathom the idea of yet another Legion continuity. Besides, I'd think it would make the franchise all the more toxic for new readers. Therefore, until it is proven otherwise, I'm dismissing Bouncing Boy's comment at the end of LSH #23 linking that Legion with Earth 2, and will hope and pray that the Original/Retroboot continuity of the Legion remains in tact.

Levitz's and Lemire's versions of the Legion actually can share the same continuity if we add another missing year to fill the gap in Legion mythos since the title's cancellation. In that gap the following would have to take place:

1) the resurrection of Sun Boy and Star Boy, both of which could be possible via Black Witch.

2) the return of Phantom Girl and the healing of Mon-el, which would be rather simple.

3) Black Witch turns back into White Witch, which would mean Mordru has escaped somehow, thus freeing White Wich and Blok to rejoin the Legion. (This is an epic saga that I really thought Levitz was going to get to in the next year or so. I'm sorry it never was published)

4) the reformation of the Legion by the United Planets, possibly because of a dire crisis, like Infinitus, where the UP and Science Police found that they needed the Legion to save the galaxy. (This is alluded to by Lemire via Brainiac 5's narrative of the Infinitus crisis in JLU Annual #1)

5) the fact that Comet Queen, Harmonia, Chemical Kid, Glorith and Dragonwing are not depicted in Lemire's Legion may mean that these new guys may have not chosen to rejoin the Legion, or some were simply too injured to do so (Note: the anonymous members in healing tubes in LSH #23), and Glorith may have simply remained on the Sorcerers' World. Some of these members may also have been killed or maimed by Infinitus.

6) if the reboot members are really part of Lemire's Legion, their presence may be that Brainiac 5 called them in to help, just like Lo3W, to battle Infinitus. This opens the door to the fan favorite idea of a composite Legion

7) the Legion Lost team was still lost at the end of Levitz's run, with their deaths considered almost certain by the Legion as seen in LSH #16 and LL #10. It would be easy for Brainiac 5 to find them again once the Legion journeyed to the 21st century to battle Infinitus.

These 7 points are my humble attempt to show that Levitz's and Lemire's Legions can share the same continuity without moving either Legion to yet another Earth continuity. I'm probably wrong, but I'm hoping that something like this is the truth, so we don't have to face yet another Legion reboot.

Leather Wolf #838877 02/13/15 05:10 PM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
I'd like to think that you're right too. But, with DC's recent announcement of a continuity-lite version of the DC universe from here on, I think that their plans lean more toward:

A) Having the Legion pull a Monty Python by simply saying "We got better"

or

B) Scratch everything and start over (again) with a history-free version

Considering that a Legion movie is being considered for development, and considering what effects that has on the comic (usually remaking the comic to match the movie - groan), it's more likely to be option B as this would be the choice with the least baggage.

We'll all have to wait and see.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing an Earth-1 Legion. So far, that line has been excellent.

Last edited by Georgehaze; 02/13/15 05:12 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,316
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires