Roll Call
0 members (), 39 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 06:55 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What would you consider the seminal Wolfman work?
#859465 07/12/15 08:17 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Lets face it, wolfy comes in third to the big two, Vampires and Frankenstein's monster. Both were immortalized in literature works that create or transcend their literary basis.

Shelley created a work that has become basis for many a different interpretation,and Stoker's Dracula set the stage for everything to follow. Even (shudder) glittery vampires.

But, as far as I can tell, the single greatest wolfman story told is An American Werewolf in London. A movie. Not a work of litertature. And I know that it wasn't even close to being the first werewolf telling in movies or tv. Certainly not comics.

But, what would be the masterwork that cemented the werewolves as a part of the big three?

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Re: What would you consider the seminal Wolfman work?
rickshaw1 #859468 07/12/15 08:52 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Lon Chaney Jr, Adolf Hitler and a bit of timing would be my answer to what cemented Werewolf into the big three.

rickshaw1 #859469 07/12/15 09:11 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I didn't even know Marv had kids

Robert Lois Stevenson's Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

The story of the descent of a man of good standing through bestial transformation.

The recurrence is important as Jeckyll knows that it's something he can't put off much like the arrival of a full moon.

The transformation scenes in Jeckyll & Hyde could be lifted wholesale for the transformation from man to werewolf in Werewolf films.

The unleashing of another, darker personality fits in well with Werewolves in folk lore. Jeckyll feels that there's no way out of his predicament. That he feels cursed so there's an analogy to the curse of the werewolf.

Jeckyll & Hyde was a mainstay of stage and early screen. I think adaptations of it might have tailed off as films such as Werewolf of London and The Wolfman came to the fore. I don't recall too many in the late '30s and early '40s, and that may not be coincidence, as more monstrous transformations took hold.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #859470 07/12/15 09:19 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
If you have not seen the 1941 Lon Chaney “Wolfman” film, you should go and watch it. Although, by modern standards, stilted and slow-moving, as all old films appear today, there is an unexpected heart to this film that will make you realize why it is a classic.

(The Bela Lugosi Dracula, on the other hand, has not held up well over time.)

Maria Ouspenskaya, Russian acting and Dance teacher, is wonderfully, casually creepy as the old gypsy woman, Maleva.

Maleva: You killed the wolf.
Larry Talbot: Well, there's no crime in that is there?
Maleva: The wolf was Bela.
Larry Talbot: You think I don't know the difference between a wolf and a man?
Maleva: Bela turned into a wolf and you killed him. A werewolf can only be killed by a silver bullet, or a silver knife...
[looks down at Larry's walking stick]
Maleva: ...or a stick with a silver handle.
Larry Talbot: You're insane! I tell you, I killed a wolf! A PLAIN, ORDINARY WOLF!
Maleva: The wolf bit you, didn't he?
Larry Talbot: Yeah. Yeah he did!

Maleva:
Even a man who is pure in heart
And says his prayers by night
May become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms
And the autumn moon is bright.

"The way you walked was thorny, though no fault of your own, but as the rain enters the soil, the river enters the sea, so tears run to a predestined end. Now you will have peace for eternity."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnCh9QujjkI

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Blockade Boy #859471 07/12/15 09:25 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy
Lon Chaney Jr,

Yeah, Universal is basically responsible for inventing from scratch much of what we think of as werewolf mythology, including the idea of transforming under a full moon and the vulnerability to silver bullets.

Klar Ken T5477 #859472 07/12/15 09:38 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477
If you have not seen the 1941 Lon Chaney “Wolfman” film, you should go and watch it.

It's certainly better than the earlier Werewolf of London (1935)

On books there was The Werewolf of Paris that came out in 1931, but I've not seen it connected to either film, even though it was popular. It formed part of a later Hammer film, Curse of the Werewolf.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #859473 07/12/15 09:51 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Probably play better than then ancient Greek form.

Dumas had a were wolf story that preceded even Jekle and Hyde, the popularity of the mythology seems well established before Hollywood. But the franchise seemed to really pick up after the Lon Chaney/Siodmak version so I put it into the seminal category as well as being most responsible for Were Wolf becoming one of the "big three."

What in my mind made The Wolf Man different and pertinent to Rick's premise and question (how did he become part of the big three), was Lon Chaney's compelling and sympathetic performance and Curt Siodmak who wrote it and the following Shelly addon that brought the monsters together. He was an Eastern European Jew who saw the writing on the wall and got while the going was good. Also, looking at a list of horror genre (in Hollywood), though Frankenstein had been out nearly a decade and there were the occasional ghoully type movies, there seems a significant up-tic in them beginning in the late 30s, hence adding to my Hitler connection.

rickshaw1 #859496 07/12/15 10:39 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
I believe that House of Frankenstein was the first Universal film in which Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolf Man all appeared together.

And it is possible that Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein was the last.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Klar Ken T5477 #859524 07/12/15 04:10 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477
I believe that House of Frankenstein was the first Universal film in which Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolf Man all appeared together.

With a hunchback thrown in for good measure. Siodmak had a writing credit on all three:

41 The Wolf Man
43 Frankenstein Meets
44 House

The Wolf Man is easily MY favorite of the three partly because I like the story the most and mostly because of Lon Chaney Jr's portrayal of Talbot.

Mostly what lasts with me about American is the transformation. Every man to monster since has riffed that. I don't honestly recall the story. Good excuse to see if the library has a DVD.

rickshaw1 #862283 07/28/15 09:02 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I like The Werewolf of London.

It's a different take on the Werewolf ... more of a Mr. Hyde character ... having a speaking Werewolf was kind of intriguing compared to all the post Talbot werewolves.

rickshaw1 #862325 07/29/15 05:51 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
There was a great Canadian film called Ginger Snaps that tied lycanthropy in with teenage puberty that was really well done.

I still like the original Howling though it's been a while.

I enjoy the werewolves in the U.K. version of Being Human.

Similarly, Hemlock Grove's done interesting stuff with the idea.

rickshaw1 #862546 07/30/15 03:06 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
The brutal dream sequence in American Hamster in London was the part that stayed with me longest. Horror is fine. Brutality not so much smile Probably why I'm not much for mafia films either.

rickshaw1 #863972 08/08/15 04:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
When reading this thread, my first thought was "An American Werewolf in London." smile

The Lon Cheney movie is probably the best and most seminal in terms of building the mythology as well as the classic Werewolf storyline: of a normal man becoming cursed, then what happens to him as he realizes his new state.

I've always preferred werewolves to vampires and Frankenstein (and/or his monster), but that's me.

rickshaw1 #863977 08/08/15 06:31 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
I'm just disappointed we've got to this point without saying "Teddy Long". I'm sure we can all agree he's the semenal Wolfman work.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
rickshaw1 #868294 09/06/15 01:43 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I was going to talk about Crisis on Infinite Earths too before I realized what the topic was about... smile

rickshaw1 #868299 09/06/15 06:44 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
When Wolfman met Wolfman...

But did I, Vampire, Frankenstein or the Creature Commandoes appear in Crisis?

rickshaw1 #872505 10/14/15 07:38 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
BAckground, I think.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #872508 10/14/15 07:50 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I consider An American Werewolf in London to still be the seminal werewolf work. It has a great mix of dark humor and genuine tension and drama that the best horror movies are characterized by. Compound that with the fact that the special effects set the standard for every werewolf movie that followed.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
rickshaw1 #873031 10/19/15 06:56 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
BAckground, I think.

The Anti Monitor summoned the corrupted Harbinger to his Anti Matter Fortress. Soon, his pawn would kill his positive matter counterpart.

Yet, something was amiss. Harbinger struggled not between two forces, but three. A third influence. He noticed two neat puncture wounds on her neck, just as something uncurled from the shadows of his citadel...

I, Vampire vs The Anti Monitor! The Lost Crisis Crossover.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,116
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Reboot
Reboot
The Mainframe
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star