Roll Call
0 members (), 40 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 06:55 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dave Cockrum's proposed "green energy dimension"
#866525 08/24/15 03:52 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
I originally thought of posting this in the Archives Re-Read Volume 10 thread, but then I decided it deserved a thread of his own.

In his introduction to that volume, Cockrum lists three stories which he proposed during his tenure on the Legion: one involved the Legionnaires discovering Blackhawk Island, another would have had the Time Trapper as the main villain and featured guest appearances by the original Teen Titans, plus young Diana of Paradise Island and young Bruce Wayne (and Superboy, of course.)

The last of these, which I found the most intriguing by far, involved the Legion discovering a connection between the Emerald Eye of Ekron and the dimension from which comes the energy used by the Green Lanterns. Sounds awesome to me!

One additional plot point which I was not as impressed with was that Ferro Lad would be discovered alive, trapped in the green dimension. That, in my opinion, would have cheapened Andrew's noble self-sacrifice.

Any thoughts?

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Re: Dave Cockrum's proposed "green energy dimension"
Fanfic Lady #866526 08/24/15 04:05 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I'm sure it would've been better than later attempts to link the Emerald Eye with the Green Lanterns!

Fanfic Lady #866527 08/24/15 04:09 PM
OP Offline
Oh, there were?

I never knew that.

What issues did that happen in?

Fanfic Lady #866534 08/24/15 04:40 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
In 52 or one of those series around that time, the Eye was revealed to be an actual body part of a member of the Green Lantern Corps, and a prototype power ring or something like that.

Fanfic Lady #866544 08/24/15 05:46 PM
OP Offline
Dear Gods, that's lame!

Of course, I wouldn't expect any better from the people running DC around that time.

Thanks, EDE.

Fanfic Lady #866555 08/24/15 08:50 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Behold, the Emerald Head of Ekron!

Attached Images Ekron.jpg
Fanfic Lady #866562 08/24/15 09:25 PM
OP Offline
LOL rotflmao

Fanfic Lady #866582 08/25/15 01:23 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
It's natural to make connections between things. There was a connection between the Emerald Opera Glove Empress and the Green Mitten in a thread just yesterday for example.

From the above pic, Alan Moore clearly left part of Swamp Thing in space back when he was having cosmic adventures. The life giving Green on Earth has parallels on other worlds. On Ekron there are legends of a being that could also control it's energy.

There are many myths concerning the origins of an even more ancient source of life giving energy. The Green of Oa.

On Ferro Lad's return I'm reminded of them finding Lyle in the pocket dimension where Jacques transports to. It was a bit underwhelming really. Not least because none of his friends seemed to visit him.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fanfic Lady #867067 08/28/15 08:23 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Well given they had a body for Lyle his return was a bit ... odd.

Fanfic Lady #867069 08/28/15 08:31 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
I originally thought of posting this in the Archives Re-Read Volume 10 thread, but then I decided it deserved a thread of his own.

In his introduction to that volume, Cockrum lists three stories which he proposed during his tenure on the Legion: one involved the Legionnaires discovering Blackhawk Island, another would have had the Time Trapper as the main villain and featured guest appearances by the original Teen Titans, plus young Diana of Paradise Island and young Bruce Wayne (and Superboy, of course.)

The last of these, which I found the most intriguing by far, involved the Legion discovering a connection between the Emerald Eye of Ekron and the dimension from which comes the energy used by the Green Lanterns. Sounds awesome to me!

One additional plot point which I was not as impressed with was that Ferro Lad would be discovered alive, trapped in the green dimension. That, in my opinion, would have cheapened Andrew's noble self-sacrifice.

Any thoughts?

I would have liked Douglas to join the Legion in Andrew's place ... of course back then they would have to actually make sure to come up with a personality contrasting Andrew's enough to make Douglas interesting.

Fanfic Lady #867086 08/28/15 09:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I think the Legion could definitely accommodate a lot more time travel than we've seen -- as well as solid connections to other hero eras. I would have enjoyed the Time Trapper and Blackhawk plots. At least at that time.

Douglas should have TOTALLY joined in place of Andrew. LSH 300 was soooo awesome and it would have been better if he had just joined the LSH.

I loved how Cockrum put a sexy spin on the LSH. It felt like they finally passed puberty

Fanfic Lady #867132 08/29/15 04:45 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The Eye as an artifact, mystical or technical, was interesting. As some creature's body part, gross.

I agree that finding Andrew alive would have cheapened his sacrifice. The fake-out story of the cloned Lyle and Andrew was okay and I enjoyed the scenes in Magic Wars in which their spirits communicated with the Legion, but that "discovered alive" plot has gotten a lot of play in Legion history. Maybe if Andrew Nolan had been the first (or second, after Wildfire), it would have been fresh, but still would have detracted from the death.

It certainly would have been fascinating if the Legion had visited more eras than the 20th/21st century - especially for the other planets than Earth. Jo was thrown back to Khundia's past in 5YL, but I can't think of any other examples.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fanfic Lady #867532 08/31/15 02:03 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
There was always a tremendous opportunity to tie the Eye of Ekron to the GL Corps, but unfortunately it was ill-used.

I never liked the idea of Doug Nolan stepping in to take Ferro Lad's spot, but much preferred his role as (A) how it was in LSH #300 or (B) something more sinister or complicated.

I do love the idea of a young Diana of Paradise Island having time travel adventures with the LSH, which has been a hugely wasted opportunity! Those early Silver Age Wonder Girl stories are chalk full of charm, and a crossover involving the Time Trapper is a must, since that is his retconned first appearance.

Cobalt Kid #867535 08/31/15 02:11 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid

I do love the idea of a young Diana of Paradise Island having time travel adventures with the LSH, which has been a hugely wasted opportunity! Those early Silver Age Wonder Girl stories are chalk full of charm, and a crossover involving the Time Trapper is a must, since that is his retconned first appearance.

I'd never thought of that, but you're right.

I'm too busy ATM with the Every-Boot to write that story, but perhaps someone else might?

Cobalt Kid #867547 08/31/15 04:57 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid

Hasn't John Byrne done this one yet? >stunned<

To facilitate his mastery over time, the Trapper places artefacts in the heroic ages. They are portals to the end of time and the Trapper can travel through these regardless of the many Crises that beset his universe. Over the centuries the artefacts have legends of their own.

The Cup of Jamshid, where the layers of the universe would be revealed.

The Crystal Ball of John Dee, last seen to reveal a possessed Constantine summoning and betraying powerful mystics.

The Magic Mirror of Themyscira, where alternate selves from past, present and future could be communicated with.

It is through this last artefact that a warning is delivered from a dark future. With Mordru defeated, The Trapper has laid siege to time. He brings everything in his own epoch back through time, destroying all in between himself and the very beginning of the universe.

Temporal concussions are felt throughout the DCU. The mirror becomes both a refuge of other times/alternates and a final portal to battle the Trapper.

In the 30th century, the Trapper's advance has been held by a beleaguered Legion of Super heroes. Pre and post Crisis Wonder Woman, Wonder Girl and Wonder Tot join the battles through time and defeat the Trapper.

But the mirror is shattered, leaving the alternate versions of Wonder Woman in our universe. Donna Troy, realising she is a duplicate of the others, opts to remain with the Legion as Wonder Girl.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #868296 09/06/15 02:34 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by thoth lad

On Ferro Lad's return I'm reminded of them finding Lyle in the pocket dimension where Jacques transports to. It was a bit underwhelming really. Not least because none of his friends seemed to visit him.

Always bothered me too. Oh Lyle is back! And only I, Jacques Foccart who has never met him, cares!

Oh he turned out to be a demon? Good thing we never visited him then.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,116
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Comic Addict Lad
Comic Addict Lad
Somewhere in the 30th Century