Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 05:00 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: LSH 41.... SPOILERS
#36702 05/12/08 10:45 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by Chemical King:
From a European perspective, I find it quite hilarios that the element most people are talking about here from the last Legion issue is the sexual innuendo in the Imra/Garth relationship.
Yeah. I didn't think it was that big a deal, myself (which may support your theory in that I'm not American), although it was unexpected.

I for my part was rather wondering: Has the eternally young romance between Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl actually already begun in Threeboot continuity? And if so, when did it start? Before or after Waid left?
Waid kicked off the LL/SG relationship in one of the backup stories in... I want to say #12. Certainly in the first year of the threeboot.

#36703 05/12/08 02:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The LSH # 41 Shvaughn Erin cover scandal might even surpass the Bierbaum's bad taste with their faux Wildfire cover... at least the cover type of their issue informed you that you were "WRONG!" to think it was who you obviously were going to think it was.

I wish Shooter had never given that interview way back when with all the sex stuff.

I personally found the Garth/Imra scene suprising but not ghastly.

And I absolutely LOVE Princess "Off With Their Heads" Projectra.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#36704 05/12/08 09:40 PM
Active
Active
i wonder about that cover concept as well. who's idea was that? and what was the rationale behind it? the way Manapul designed it, it's actually attention -grabbing on the stands but,... how could it be anything but misleading and/or disappointing? it was a 3 panel scene of an imposter/prank! if they thought fans would buy it cuz we thought it was Shvaugn, then give us Shvaugn and we'll buy every issue. Otherwise stick to the actual plot and characters and adversaries. i guess comics are a dying medium and don't attract competent talent anymore.

Gorilla Nebula
#36705 05/13/08 09:52 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by veryvery:
Why does a strong female need to be "owned" in bed? and yes, i do think he's saying she's the submissive in this as her dialogue indicates.
This link might answer your question. I don't there's anything with a strong female needing to be owned in bed. As long as she has a safeword. I'm a submissive btw.

#36706 05/13/08 11:36 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by googoomuck:
Originally posted by veryvery:
[b]Why does a strong female need to be "owned" in bed? and yes, i do think he's saying she's the submissive in this as her dialogue indicates.
This link might answer your question. I don't there's anything with a strong female needing to be owned in bed. As long as she has a safeword. I'm a submissive btw.[/b]
aha. yes very cute. i know exactly what bdsm is, thanks. a woman can be strong without being submissive in bed.

Please consider the SOURCE and CONTEXT here. This isn't a three dimensional character being presented by a writer with a history of writing thought provoking female characters and an understanding of sex. If this was a REAL writer, this sort of thing would be dealt with maturely. Neil Gaiman, Bill Willingham, J Michael Stracynski, Gail Simone, Geoff Johns? Any of these writers would have handled this better.

Shooter handles it like a 15 year old boy that wants to write something dirty.

once again, i am so not disturbed by the IDEA of SM. at all. i wish i could show you all some of the stuff i had to edit or the curriculum i had for my training as a sexual information center counselor smile

this is so nothing. I am not bothered S&M, I am bothered by its treatment in this comic. i'm surprised, googoomuck, that you're not more bothered by something you enjoy being used in a cheap manner.

#36707 05/14/08 12:56 AM
Active
Active
Anyone notice the nametag (McDoyle a combination of two villianous names from the Legion's past) on the 'adult advisor' of the new rival team? It was interesting to note that despite the new upgrades, Legion flight rings have actually lost a function (that of invisibility) considering that Lyle was credited with their invention.

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#36708 05/16/08 06:41 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
i wonder about that cover concept as well. who's idea was that? and what was the rationale behind it? the way Manapul designed it, it's actually attention -grabbing on the stands but,... how could it be anything but misleading and/or disappointing? it was a 3 panel scene of an imposter/prank! if they thought fans would buy it cuz we thought it was Shvaugn, then give us Shvaugn and we'll buy every issue. Otherwise stick to the actual plot and characters and adversaries. i guess comics are a dying medium and don't attract competent talent anymore.
i think i was kick back to the days when you would buy a comic with the cover having like the death of clark kent and superboy being blamed for it

you dont get to see comics with that wacky covers any more and once i got over the shock i was like cool there trying to have more fun with it

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#36709 05/21/08 08:01 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Tromium:
Originally posted by Insomniac Girl:
[b] 'm not following Action. Would you tell me or should I move my lazy butt to search in the appropriate thread? smile
It's nothing sexual in nature. Garth is depicted as a Neanderthal and Thom Kallor as a drooling lunatic (as usual). Those portrayals are so much grosser and more demeaning to the characters than a little playful banter between two young lovers, imo. [/b]
Doesn't sound like a buying incentive either. A - very belated - thank you.

#36710 05/27/08 10:41 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Are we all forgetting here that we're reading and seeing (in a very voyeuristic way I might add) TEENAGERS is a very sexualised way?

urgh.

Insomniac Girl had it right a few posts back - I feel slightly dirty. I have NO desire to know what goes on behind closed doors between the Legionnaires. That's simply not what I buy comics for.

Shooter's run so far just seems a bit odd... we don't really know what's going on, and not a whole lot has actually happened. The Girls have been slightly deranged, either lashing out at people or wandering around in skimpy nightwear. The boys seem to have had a testosterone overdose and that's effecting their brains. It all seems a bit farcical.

... plus, while I'm moaning. I know they haven't shown up yet, but some of the new costumes suck.

What's going on?

#36711 05/27/08 10:53 AM
Substitute
Substitute
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chemical King:
[QB] From a European perspective, I find it quite hilarios that the element most people are talking about here from the last Legion issue is the sexual innuendo in the Imra/Garth relationship.

I guess that's what people would consider "typical" for Americans over here (though i did not check if everybody actually is from the US smile )...

?!
there wasn't any innuendo, it was plain and simple sexual language.
*thud* [jaw hits the floor]
Please don't try and suggest that Europe is more liberal and laid back than a US perspective of these things...

#36712 05/28/08 02:58 PM
Active
Active
I'm very tempted to suggest exactly that... but I keep my hands of it cause I don't think my English is good enough to capture and express all the subleties of this very emotional topic...

#36713 05/28/08 04:11 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by insanelad:
Please don't try and suggest that Europe is more liberal and laid back than a US perspective of these things...
Originally posted by Chemical King:
I'm very tempted to suggest exactly that... but I keep my hands of it cause I don't think my English is good enough to capture and express all the subleties of this very emotional topic...
I'm the one who seems to have caused this whole debate, and I'm from Europe. I'm mentioning this since I think that reacting to the Garth and Imra scene negatively or positively ought to have nothing to do with the reader being either prudish - "i.e., American", or "European and liberated". In fact, it's entirely possible to dislike gendered behavioural modes in writing without having to have a "puritanical" mindset.

As for me, seeing female characters behave according to "Mode Girl" and male characters according to "Mode Boy" is always detrimental to my enjoyment. And what Shooter's offering up is this kind of gendered behaviour. YMMV on whether you like/dislike/are indifferent towards this kind of characterisation approach, but don't make disliking it an issue of nationality/relative level of comfort in one's sexuality.

#36714 05/29/08 01:05 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I'm in Europe too, so we seem to be breaking out of the uber-Liberal mode here Insomniac. Maybe we should change our names to Breaking Stereotypes Girl/Lad? lol

... I'm sure Superdude Prime would be whittering on about the moral decay of the universe and HIS Imra and Garth going on a date to have a milkshake and then, maybe getting fresh by holding hands.

I think the point is that sometimes you can take things a little too far, and Shooter has done it with 'That' scene.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,104
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Ibn al-Nezumi
Ibn al-Nezumi
Indojapan, Earth
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star