Roll Call
0 members (), 124 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/28/24 03:23 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 11:11 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Let's Talk About It
Cobalt Kid #889052 03/04/16 12:47 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
We can choose to be grateful for the time we had with Michael and to honor his life and force ourselves (hard as it is) not to dwell on his death.

That's exactly how I've been trying to deal with it.

Sometimes it's easier than other times.

Either way, thank you, He Who.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Cobalt Kid #889136 03/05/16 01:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Sorry I guess I should have posted in here.

Touch the magic...
Cobalt Kid #889141 03/05/16 01:51 PM
It's okay, either thread is good for posting anything we want to say as we remember the great man that Lash was.

Dave Hackett #889153 03/05/16 03:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
Thanks for starting this Cobie. I, like a lot of us, am having tremendous difficulty with this. It`s exacerbated by intersecting a number of personal issues that I won`t (and can`t) get into, so while I may not be `Talking About It` much, I appreciate that we`re all here together supporting each other, and I certainly love and respect you all.

-thanks

Thanks, Dave
I'm in a similar space - feeling a lot from intersecting events happening concurrently ... and just getting hit from it all
And also not able to talk about it much publicly

Lash was one of the best hosts here - whether when I first started or when I came back to Legion World last year

Last edited by Myg - Andy S; 03/05/16 03:47 PM.
Cobalt Kid #889172 03/05/16 05:50 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Indeed, either thread is great for this, and I am happy to see so many of us sharing our memories of Lash.

Cobalt Kid #889230 03/06/16 01:50 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
I was just thinking about how Lash created "The All-{Insert thing here} Threads" and how there was one that changed topics periodically. For a while it was about me (or my "character") and then it changed, which was the nature of the thread. However, Lash then created a thread just for me - something I had been self-conscious to do on my own. It made me feel incredibly special and accepted.

I know I've mentioned this before other places but Lash really made me feel like I was worth caring about when I was the deep throws of depression, which is a really big deal. He had a special gift and the world definitely feels a bit dimmer without him. That said, I feel so, so lucky to have known him even a little bit on the board here.

Cobalt Kid #890142 03/11/16 06:00 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
10 minutes from the anniversary and I'm excited for a great day ahead.

A lot of today I've just been feeling down. Posting with all of you will help, this I know. Gonna be thinking about Lash tomorrow.

Sweet ass sweet Lash.

Happy Anniversary.

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 03/11/16 06:01 PM.
Cobalt Kid #890143 03/11/16 07:20 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
It's already afternoon of March 12 here. Hurry up people! I'm already drunk!!!

Happy anniversary all, can't wait to relive and celebrate all the wonderful people and threads on the board

Cobalt Kid #890152 03/11/16 08:03 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
12:03am here. Happy Anniversary!

Last edited by Lightning Lad; 03/11/16 08:04 PM.
Cobalt Kid #890154 03/11/16 08:31 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Yay! the party is joined!

Cobalt Kid #890194 03/12/16 01:07 AM
I've arrived at the party...

[Linked Image]

(That was, appropriately, one of Lash's favorite movies.)

Cobalt Kid #890197 03/12/16 01:29 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Stop acting all shocked there and jump right in!

*begins pouring Bailey's into mouth*

Ahhh. Alcohol, shirtless dancing, bad karaoke and torrid kissing with my man. What better way to celebrate the LMB Anniv?

Invisible Brainiac #890199 03/12/16 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
bad karaoke

Somebody totally has to karaoke Billy Ocean's "Caribbean Queen" with the title changed to "Calorie Queen", one of Lash's favorite characters.

Cobalt Kid #890218 03/12/16 02:04 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Calorie Queen
Now we're sharing the same team
And our flight rings are as one
All the more to have fun

Cobalt Kid #890225 03/12/16 02:08 AM
Love it, Ibby.

*dances*

Cobalt Kid #890228 03/12/16 02:28 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Yay! Time to dance!

*rips off shirt*

Cobalt Kid #890300 03/12/16 05:51 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY
Where are the wait staff?
I'm just asking cuz Lash would want to know

Cobalt Kid #890305 03/12/16 05:55 AM
Guess I'll have to deputize for Rocky:

Aidan, make yourself useful get Mr. Andy whatever he wants.

Cobalt Kid #902837 07/15/16 08:18 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
For the past few months, I've often found myself on LW but just haven't been able to post. Sometimes I would. But sometimes, I would lurk and consider typing a reply...but then delete it. I guess I just couldn't.

On the flip side, I just haven't been able to read any comic books either. Somehow I've been able to stay afloat in the Archives reread thread, but usually falling behind and then catching up. But most of the time I would buy them, open them up, and feel a tremendous strain to turn the page. So I wouldn't.

And I think a lot of it is I just really miss Lash and Dev. My Uncle passed away too a few months ago, and he was instrumental in building my love for comics too. He died after 10-15 years of being a full blown alcoholic and eventually never seeing the rest of my family anymore, before finally trying to make peace about a year ago and reconnect with the family. Losing him right between losing Dev and Lash was another blow. All three of them were directly connected with my love for comics. And Dev, and especially Lash, were connected with my love of Legion World and the LMB, which has been a wonderful part of my life since 1999.

With DC Rebirth, my father has shown an interest in reading comics regularly again for the first time in like 20 years. He's retired now and sees this as a time to finally start reading them again. And so I've used this as an opportunity to try myself. I've been reading most of them as they've come out, and its given me a little extra incentive to try to catch up on some of the other stuff I was buying (Walking Dead, etc.) It's been really nice.

It's still hard to log in to LW and not think of Lash or Dev though. But I know they would HATE the idea of me or anyone else not being on LW because of them. In fact, I know Lash would say thats the exact opposite of how I should feel.

So I'm going to try to be more present on the board. Life is busy for me with two young kids and owning my own business, but I just feel better in general when I'm on LW and connected with all of you.

I debated even posting this. I sometimes feel I don't even know how to talk about my personal feelings anymore, not like I used to in my 20's. But there was a time when ever facet of my life was posted on the MMB because it was part of the fun. So what the hell, right?

Guess I just wanted to say I love Legion World and I want to be a bigger part of it again than I've been these last few months. And I hope if any one else has felt this way that they read this and think about doing the same thing.

hug

Cobalt Kid #902839 07/15/16 09:26 AM
Luv you too, Cobie! Always!

Welcome back!

hug

My condolences on your uncle's passing.

Please don't ever be afraid to share your feelings here with us. I firmly believe that bottling it up just makes it worse for a person. Of course, I know every individual is different, but from my observations of different people, I've come to believe that openness is healthier than the other option.

Cobalt Kid #902841 07/15/16 01:32 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
big hug Cobie. Thanks for sharing all that with us, you certainly still know how to share your feeling smile

condolences on your uncle's passing.

It really is great to be part of the family on Legion World. Cheers to that.

Cobalt Kid #902858 07/15/16 02:33 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Sorry to hear about the loss of your uncle, Des.

I understand how you feel. We all need to take a breather and to reassess the value of the things and activities in our lives. I'm glad you've decided to become more active. As I was reading your post, I was afraid this was goodbye.

I still think it's the coolest thing that your dad is into comics and is starting to read them again. I never had that in my family. I do have some friends who are into comics. I'm going to take one out tomorrow for his birthday. Life is too precious to waste.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Cobalt Kid #902862 07/15/16 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
Life is too precious to waste.

Very well said, He Who.

Cobalt Kid #902863 07/15/16 03:25 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
... but I just feel better in general when I'm on LW and connected with all of you.
---
Guess I just wanted to say I love Legion World and I want to be a bigger part of it again than I've been these last few months. And I hope if any one else has felt this way that they read this and think about doing the same thing.

hug

I'm glad you're here, Cobie. Like Lash and Dev and so many others, you bless Legion World with your own inimitable presence. My condolences for the loss of those close to you. Grief can shake us in unexpected ways.

For the past year I've been carrying a heavy work load, but I keep stopping by LW every day, even for a few moments, to keep the connection with y'all. But I'm not contributing much. Often I offer nothing more than an Inane One-Word Post--my mark on the wall for the day. But I'm watching and listening and praying for my teammates here. I hope that soon I'll have some more time to play with you guys.

Be well, friends. I'm glad you're all here.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Cobalt Kid #902867 07/15/16 04:29 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Cobie, I'm so glad you posted this and have realized what you need to do sooner than I did 11 years ago. I knew without a doubt that all this has been weighing on you. I just know you too well. Plus, I've dealt with loss myself, having lost my dad 11 years ago, so I feel I can recognize some things, even from a distance.

Dev and Lash's losses hit me hard as well. Real tears. A real sense of sadness and melancholy that put a damper on my life that was really hard to explain to friends and family members. I would say, "a friend died", but I couldn't share the fact that I 'only' knew them from the internet because I doubted they would understand. I mean, my wife understands on some level because she knows I've been posting on Legion World and its forebears for many years, and she was supportive of my meeting a few of you in-person. But by and large, it's hard to share that with most people in your life, and it's even harder because you feel you have to keep up a brave face to avoid the surely odd-to-them explanation.

I guess, really, that making friends on the internet (and almost exclusively there) has got to be pretty common these days. But you never hear someone say, "my friend died today. I knew him exclusively from the internet. But I loved him like any other friend I've ever had in-person, and I'm really wrecked inside right now."

But the fact is, Michael and Dave were terrific people who greatly enriched my life for the better part of two decades. It's a powerful loss that resonates deep inside of me. I miss them both, and they were taken away so tragically and much too soon. It's a very real pain, but I wouldn't ever take back having gotten to know them the way I did.

So, odd circumstances aside, I guess I was somewhat pre-conditioned for this by the terrible loss of my father that I've been dealing with for what I can't believe is over 11 years now. There was a lot unsaid and unresolved between us. I loved him so much, but he was an unpleasant man in many ways. He was an alcoholic and had an uncontrollable temper that manifested constantly with verbal abuse. But eventually, cancer spread through his body and invaded his brain. At the end he was an invalid who spoke mostly in nonsense. It was only then that I realized that he would not survive this illness. Up until then, I figured he was just too tough for cancer to take him.

But he wasn't. he gave it all that he had, but it took him in the end. And I never grabbed the chance to sit with him and just settle our differences. I wish I could tell him that I loved him and that there was a lot about him that was wonderful and good. He was, for example, a very loving and devoted grandfather to my older son.

Just the other day, I took my son to the local technical college to get his enrollment sorted out. This college happened to be the place my father worked for the last fifteen years of his life as a public safety officer and sergeant. After we got home, it just hit me how if my father were still alive, he would be all about getting my son set up for school there and would have been such an invaluable asset for us in making the transition smooth for him. Having an autistic son, that would have been so awesome.

As all of those emotions washed over me, I became overwhelmed and had to close myself in the bathroom and cry for awhile. I just didn't want to upset my boys and have to explain why I was so upset. I did the same after the losses of Michael and Dave.

I guess all of this is a roundabout way of showing how I deal with these losses and to show Cobie and the rest of you that you're not alone. I think, though, from the beginning, I knew that backing away from Legion World would not help me. I remember that my only real absence from this community was when I lost my father. When I finally came back, I saw how therapeutic this place was. With so many great people here, you could both share your pain and get away from it for awhile with all of the assorted wonderful interactions.

That's why I knew that, even without Dev and Lash around anymore, there would be better healing staying active here than trying to avoid it. It's damned hard at times, but it's a community we all built and continue to build together. We honor those that came before and continue to build and grow it, so that others will have it to return to or to find. And in the process, we find both healing and new joy.

Cobie, I feel like you're my long-lost middle brother, somehow displaced in time and space into another family. If I never meet you in person, it'll be sad, but I know that we are no less truer friends than Michael and Dave were. I love you, long-lost middle brother, somehow displaced in time and space into another family!!! hug

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,975
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Tymann
Tymann
Riverside, CA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star