Roll Call
0 members (), 61 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Jfposey - 05/07/24 05:19 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/07/24 04:22 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 03:19 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Batman vs. Superman: Dawn Of Justice Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!)
Kappa Kid #892628 03/28/16 06:32 AM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
... doesn't mean I won't be checking out those Justice League movies on opening night, though, haha. smile

Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!
Kappa Kid #892654 03/28/16 02:41 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Batfleck? Love it!

Good points, rokk--especially how Very Important everything is.

There were a few moments of humor though. I actually liked the "I thought she was with you" bit, even though some on the Internet have branded it as sexist. Some other lines that cracked me up (given out of context to avoid spoilers but perhaps to entice others):

"I figured. The cape."

"I was busy."

"I'd rather deliver it in person."

(I'm paraphrasing, of course.)

Granted, that's not a lot. But there was an attempt at some humor. Over all, though, there isn't much joy. It's a very Watchmen-like movie.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Kappa Kid #892658 03/28/16 03:20 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I really don't want to see an unpopular movie, but I loved Watchmen and that was unpopular. Is this basically Watchmen with DC big names?

I might just wait for the lego versions of the DCU Cinematic Universe to come out.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Kappa Kid #892660 03/28/16 04:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
You have to at see the Batman Lego Movie trailer Emily. Best trailer shown before the movie.

Kappa Kid #892661 03/28/16 04:03 PM
I wouldn't worry about whether a movie is popular. I'm more interested in if it's any good. smile

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
He Who Wanders #892707 03/29/16 06:52 AM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders

"I figured. The cape."

This one got a laugh from me for sure, HWW! The rest kinda flew right by me, but there were definitely some attempts at humor.

Still, nothing more than a moment of levity here and there, and the film IS very Watchmen-like.

Given their respective properties, who'd'a thunk Marvel would end up making movies than are more fun than DC's? To be clear, the tone of this film just simply isn't my choice for DC properties, but others may prefer it, of course, and I am happy that some people will like this film. For me, I wish for the fun of the Flash TV show to be brought into the DC movieverse, but that clearly won't happen as long as Snyder is in charge.

In my original review post, I wrote that the "good" included Wonder Woman showing up, but I meant to go farther. I thought Gal Gadot was really impressive, in her "civilian" scenes AND when she shows up as WW. She was really tough, jumped right into battle, I loved all her scenes!

Kappa Kid #892750 03/29/16 11:50 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Has anyone seen the footage that the studio has already "leaked" from the R-rated home release? The scene is seriously the most WTF extra footage I've even watched. I'm going back for a second round on Thursday to try and catch some more of the little things I know I missed. And to see more of Gadot's Wonder Woman. smile

Lightning Lad #892754 03/29/16 12:25 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
OP Offline
Humanoid from the Deep
Originally Posted by Lightning Lad
Has anyone seen the footage that the studio has already "leaked" from the R-rated home release? The scene is seriously the most WTF extra footage I've even watched. I'm going back for a second round on Thursday to try and catch some more of the little things I know I missed. And to see more of Gadot's Wonder Woman. smile

Do you have a link to it, LL?

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Kappa Kid #892756 03/29/16 12:41 PM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
I haven't seen it, LL, but you sure have piqued my curiosity!

Kappa Kid #892769 03/29/16 01:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Going to try and post it here:

Kappa Kid #892844 03/30/16 06:01 AM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
Lol, WTF is that? At first I thought was Aliens, with the marines surging into the alien hive, and then something disincorporates. And then bloody pool Lex appears and I laughed until the end.

Thanks for posting, LL!

Kappa Kid #892863 03/30/16 08:15 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I think I know what/who it is but still, wtf? smile It really would have made no sense to the average movie goer.

Kappa Kid #893020 03/31/16 06:37 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Saw it again tonight. Not as horrible as my first feelings but still not the movie I expected. I honestly think that Snyder does not know these characters beyond reading, one time, The Dark Knight Returns. But Gadot is still a stand out and her theme, Is She With You?, is the best movie instrumenal track since Vangelis' Chariots of Fire.

Kappa Kid #893210 04/02/16 01:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Saw it with Carol and Sam. The movie was a lot of fun, moved along pretty well for me. Couple small holes, like how the hell Lexie suddenly knew all about Supes and Bats. But that was a minor quibble.

Major quibble... Lex. Sorry, but the actor portraying him played the role like an A.D.D. person on crack and highballs.

As well, I think there was a lot more to the movie than we saw. I think there was a lot of editing to get it down to manageable levels, which cut some stuff that might have helped out.

And lets face it, the movie had many different buttons to push, such as setting up the JL, the surprise ending, etc. I think it did as well as it could have been done.

I don't get all the Snyder dislike. MoS wasn't as bad as many made it out to be, certainly better than Superbabydaddyman, and Gadot was made to shine. The setup has been laid, and this time, Bats was the bad guy of a sort. I thought Aflac did a great job.

This wasn't supposed to be a Superman movie. It was supposed to be a setup movie along the lines of World's Finest headed towards the JL.

I liked it. Sam was stunned by the ending and really jazzed for the next one. The audience clapped and hooted when Wondy showed up. And HENRY showed up. Eureka!!!!!!!! wink

The only real problem I had was the cell phone using crack heads that couldn't sit down for five minutes and kept disturbing everyone . Ten year olds didn't get up the way they did with those brotherclucking cell phones.

For me, solid A. Not an A+, a better lex would have gotten that, but a solid A.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Kappa Kid #895244 04/22/16 10:14 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
After YouTube-ing her a bit, I actually find Gal Gadot quite charming and sexy. I think if she were ten or fifteen years younger, she would have made a great Shadow Lass.

Love the part at the end of this video where she mentions her daughter:

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Kappa Kid #895326 04/23/16 10:07 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I saw it today. I really don't understand why people/critics seem to hate it so much! My pet theory is because it wasn't THE BEST THANG EVAR!!! Yes, it was fairly dark, but the tone made sense in light of it building off of the repercussions of Man of Steel. I was told it made no sense. Well, it made sense to me. "Superman was too wooden", they say. Well, he was, at times, but he also had some really great moments.

All I can say is see it for yourself if you can. People really react in a hive mind towards films like these, I find. I don't think it will contend for anyone's favorite in the genre, but it doesn't deserve all the hate it's getting at all, I feel. Lots of cool moments, a storyline that makes sense and echoes today's concerns and more heart than it gets credit for. The moment that makes Bruce and Clark see eye-to-eye made me fight back tears. Jessie Eisenberg makes for a very weird, left-field take on Lex Luthor, but even that has some spark to it.

It was my CBS guy who told me to see it for myself. He told me to remember 2 things: 1) This is a grizzled Batman with 20 years under the cowl, and 2) This is a Superman who's only worn the cape for a year and a half. Go in with that mindset, and their actions make sense. Go in expecting a recapturing of some specific moment in their careers from the comics, and you'll be disappointed. Again, I'm not saying it's all perfect and that the Zach Snyder-isms won't grate, but it isn't some abomination from hell. The worst thing I can say about it is that the first approximate hour is pretty slow at times.

And Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman---! love

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Kappa Kid #895338 04/23/16 10:45 AM
^^Well, when you put it that way, Lardy...

Also, you and I generally see eye-to-eye on what we consider superhero entertainment pushing the envelope too far, so that's encouraging.

I think I'll wait for the library to get the DVD, though I'm sure I'll be sorely tempted to fast forward to Wonder Woman's key scenes...

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Kappa Kid #895341 04/23/16 11:05 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
OP Offline
Humanoid from the Deep
Gal Gadot was great, but she was more of a plot device than an actual character of any kind.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Kappa Kid #895378 04/24/16 01:09 AM
Active
Active
This was one of the most enjoyable superhero movies of the past 5 years (for me). I would see it again.

Can't wait now for the sequel/Justice League I movie to come out!

In the present
Kappa Kid #895835 05/01/16 12:59 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Okay, I didn't wanna admit it, but...

When Gadot first showed up, it was so lowkey a moment, I didn't realize it was her til later.

I admit I was distracted by all the jerks with their phones, but still...

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Kappa Kid #903737 07/25/16 08:41 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
With Squad coming up (loved the Ostrander series) and the JL trailer being interesting, against my better judgement I rented it last night... and really hated it.

I tried to be as open minded as possible, but between brooding Supes, Bat-Killer, Eisneberg doing a Frank Gorshen impression, the grey filter, the poorly staged action scenes, everyone getting a case of the stupids, keeping John's Mother Box origin for Cyborg, Synder AGAIN pulling scenes from source works but not getting their context, and a rotten Doomsday, I just couldn't find much to like besides Gadot (and possibly Irons if he had something to do).

Lard Lad #903741 07/25/16 11:23 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Paladin
I saw it today. I really don't understand why people/critics seem to hate it so much! My pet theory is because it wasn't THE BEST THANG EVAR!!! ...

or maybe just because it was a poorly acted and directed piece of crap? lol

Took me about three efforts with the DVD to make it entirely through and the last push was mostly just to get it done with but I do thank them for yet another view of B-man's origin. Great way to start the movie (sarcasm). Should have thrown in one for Spidey too, a little cross over.

There were a couple VERY brief snippets, I'd thought, "yeah, more of that." When he was escaping the cop but that quickly went downhill with the exchange between the two cops, had nothing to do with anything. Lunky slow B-Man fighting super fast Superman evenly? lol. I guess they couldn't think a clever way to make it look a reasonably even fight so they went with, throw crap at it. Bat Mobile has a few nice moments but the chase has been seen and done many times, no originality there either.

Probably my biggest laugh was the try-to-hard sexy scene with Lois in the tub.

Agree that the Wonder Woman snippets give hope. Cyborg looked and felt the part. Aquaman, I thought would work better and Barry? They have a better one doing the tv show. Unfortunately I don't see enjoying any movie with Afleck playing this type of character. It just didn't work on any level. Didn't even like Alfred or Perry, in fact had open dislike and wished they'd shut up.

This Snyder guy, how does he go overnight from not existing to getting gigs like Dawn of the Dead and 300? As much as I liked the Wonder Women trailer, this is not promising.

Blockade Boy #903753 07/25/16 01:46 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy

This Snyder guy, how does he go overnight from not existing to getting gigs like Dawn of the Dead and 300? As much as I liked the Wonder Women trailer, this is not promising.

Fortunately, he's not doing Wonder Woman (though he is doing Justice League).

Kappa Kid #903757 07/25/16 03:02 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Sorry. I just watched it again and still liked it! tease

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #903759 07/25/16 03:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Paladin
Sorry. I just watched it again and still liked it! tease

I'm certainly not trying to convince you to not like it. Heck if it weren't for people with bad taste, I couldn't get a date.

Um, I mean....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,196
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Time-Teller Lad
Time-Teller Lad
The Rookery
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star