Roll Call
0 members (), 42 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:14 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hickman on Legion Speculation
#892133 03/24/16 06:53 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Newsarama is pairing Jonathan Hickman's tease for working at DC with his previously admitted desire to work on the Legion. Thoughts? I don't read Marvel so I have no idea what Hickman's like.

http://www.newsarama.com/28536-hickman-teases-involvement-in-dc-s-rebirth.html

Re: Hickman on Legion Speculation
Dave Hackett #892134 03/24/16 07:05 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
He does East of West, also did Pax Romana, Red Mass for Mars and Nightly News for Image - all of which I enjoyed. Different - but dark, dark. I didn't get into his FF work. "Destroy another superhero universe" doesn't leave me with a warm & happy feeling, but I bet he'd produce something interesting for the Legion.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Dave Hackett #892138 03/24/16 07:42 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
From what I've read (and that's far from exhaustive or recent), there's lots of nice big scope science ideas. The execution of which can vary. Pacing has also been an issue and the characters can just get caught along for the ride of ideas, rather than being what the book revolves around.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Dave Hackett #892142 03/24/16 08:21 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I have mixed feelings about the work I've read. There is definitely a big vision behind it, but the pacing can be erratic (in reading his Avengers stuff, I found myself thinking I missed an issue somewhere).

BUT I would love a new LSH book and he's got a big enough name to bring new fans.

Dave Hackett #892144 03/24/16 09:06 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
I hate, hate, HATE Jonathan Hickman's writing. He has talent and he's smart, sure, but he's TOO smart, to the point where whenever I read his superhero work I get the impression that he looks down on superheroes. If he were to write the Legion, I wouldn't even give him a first-issue trial, sad to say.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Dave Hackett #892146 03/24/16 09:51 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
The only thing I'm familiar with is the beginning of his Avengers run, which started out really promising, but then just kind of lost my interest.

It reminded me a lot of DnA's Legion run, with both the good and the bad that that entails.

Dave Hackett #892148 03/24/16 09:56 AM
The irony is, I was thinking just the other night how much I loathe Hickman's writing. This is like my worst comics-related nightmare come true. The people running DC just can't seem to get anything right!

I think the DnA Legion comparison is unfair, EDE, because I don't think Hickman could ever write anything as compact and propulsive as Legion of the Damned, and I think if he tried something like Legion Lost it would take three times as many issues and be one-third as satisfying -- and I'm being generous there!

Dave Hackett #892152 03/24/16 10:20 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
If Hickman's entire schtick is destruction of superhero universes, what will he do now since DiDio and company already beat him to it? hmmm

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Kappa Kid #892154 03/24/16 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Kappa Kid
If Hickman's entire schtick is destruction of superhero universes, what will he do now since DiDio and company already beat him to it? hmmm

LOL

I needed a good laugh. Thanks, KK.

Dave Hackett #892160 03/24/16 11:28 AM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
I'll cast a "YAY" vote for Hickman on the Legion. I kinda buy his stuff hook, line and sinker, although I agree that characterization often gets lost in the shuffle, which would definitely be a problem on any Legion book I would want to read. It's the scope of what he tries to do, he is so ambitious, and I like ambition... better to be interesting and fail than to be boring, at least for me. I found him when Nightly News came out and have followed him ever since. I haven't loved everything that he has done, but I thought the Avengers run was epic, and I loved what he did with the FF. East of West is one of my current favorite titles, hands down. As far as things I don't like, Manhattan Projects is too flip for me, and the other more recent Image launches have gone nowhere. I would be very excited to see what he might do on the Legion.

Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!
Dave Hackett #892311 03/25/16 04:56 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Like a few others, I've really been impressed and loved his independent / Image work. He's a fantastic writer, and is really intelligent. He also does a great job with science-fiction concepts and makes them feel fresh with an original take.

Currently, I stopped following East of West but I love Manhattan Projects and continue to do so.

For his Marvel work, it's been a little more hit and miss. I actually enjoyed his Fantastic Four a lot and especially once he was done telling his "epic tale" and told several really great one-off single issues at the tail end of his run. I did not enjoy his Avengers at all though and thought is eventually became impossible to read. I hope he's learned from those mistakes if he does indeed take over the Legion.

I really loved his SHIELD series (which never finished?). He really has a great handle on using other eras / time travel in his work, and that would be a great benefit. His Pax Romana is really raw and fresh and is a good example of that.

Cobalt Kid #892473 03/26/16 07:53 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Related news coming from Wonder Con. There is a DC Rebirth Q&A occurring right now for the "press" and Newsarama just posted these comments from Geoff Johns :

Johns said specifically that there is a "larger story" to tell about the Legion of Super-Heroes.

14:48
Johns said characters like the New Gods, Shazam, and the Legion of Super-Heroes would all appear once Rebirth gets underway, along with other properties, and that there is a "Story to tell" about how some of them make it into the universe.

So no Legion title announced yet, but plans do seem to be in the works.

Last edited by Colossal Boy; 03/26/16 07:54 AM.
Dave Hackett #892475 03/26/16 09:05 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
frown

I'd rather they just tell good Legion stories, rather than stories about how the Legion fit into the universe.

Eryk Davis Ester #892476 03/26/16 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
frown

I'd rather they just tell good Legion stories, rather than stories about how the Legion fit into the universe.

This.

It sounds to me like they're going to have Hickman do the same over-crowded over-long garbage that he did for Marvel.

Eryk Davis Ester #892478 03/26/16 09:46 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
frown

I agree - there is WAY too much focus on how the Legion fits which is kind of odd considering that we are talking about the far future. Why does it need to fit neatly into the present?

I'm hoping that there is a forthcoming Legion book and that they don't try to live inside some past era - and instead move forward

Dave Hackett #892484 03/26/16 09:53 AM
Well said, Andy.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Dave Hackett #892495 03/26/16 10:54 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
With it fitting into something larger, I'm thinking of that Avengers thing that had a cast of a hundred cardboard cut outs stuck in an overlong plot. Yuck!

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Dave Hackett #892505 03/26/16 01:45 PM
W
Honorary
Honorary
W
DC is probably thinking Mr. Hickman is an award-winning writer who knows how to write team stories. They probably don't read comics and are not aware of his actual style. My advice would be to hire some eager new brilliant writer and artist. That has always worked out well for the LSH.

Dave Hackett #892532 03/26/16 10:59 PM
F
Honorary
Honorary
F
I love most of Hickman's work. He's more focused on high concept sci-fi than space epics, but he can do them (see Infinity), and other things (Secret Warriors was more like sci-fi spy work, think a less grim Brubaker Captain America). He can handle a decently sized cast (Fantastic Four, New Avengers), but if it's one that's too big, most characters will fall into the background. Almost everyone aside from Captain America was underutilised and ignored in Avengers, but that series was basically as companion series to New Avengers, which was obviously the more important book.

But here's the thing: Hickman knows how to write a jumping on point. Secret Warriors, Fantastic Four and Avengers read well on their own initially, teased future stories that made use of old elements, and build upon themselves through time. At the same time, you feel that there's history to his work, because he doesn't write like nothing came before, it's just now what's happening NOW. And he excels at large scale, epic stories.

Oh, and there's the obvious sales boost it'd give. I'm entirely of the mindset that the Legion needs a big name creator on board for at least two arcs to keep it above cancellation numbers too early. The Legion is intimidating, and even if it was rebooted completely, the Legion still has a bad reputation when it comes to reboots and the like. But bring on a big name creator like Hickman, and people will push past that. I think Johns would be better, since he has a good reputation when it comes to revamps and keeping his work in-continuity (lest we get ANOTHER reboot once the Rebirth era Legion ends), but I'd settle for Hickman. Oh, and maybe a decent name artist would help too, but the writer is more important in this case.

There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.
Eryk Davis Ester #892634 03/28/16 07:20 AM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
frown

A chorus of LW "YEAs" for this sentiment. Me too.

Dave Hackett #892648 03/28/16 12:15 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yes, Hickman would be perfect. Most of his Avengers stories are Legion stories in disguises, anyways. That is why the cast is so large. And you have to admit, even in classic Legion stories, there were core groups of popular characters that would appear more often than others.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Dave Hackett #892701 03/29/16 06:10 AM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
I like Fuzzy Barbarian's take on Hickman and his potential. If not a name artist, then Legion has done well in the past with new-name buzzed-about artists. The more I think about Hickman on Legion, the more I like it.

Dave Hackett #893229 04/02/16 03:01 PM
W
Honorary
Honorary
W
While relatively new, Hickman must get top dollar and has a great resume - maybe DC sees potential losses, given past sales and what potential writers/artists cost. Personally, I think there should always be a LSH comic running... also a Captain Marvel (Shazam).

Dave Hackett #893593 04/05/16 11:24 AM
I don't know why I didn't think of this before -- a friend of mine did a detailed 8-page analysis of Hickman's work for Marvel up to just before Secret Wars:

https://avengersaccessible.wordpres...beyond-a-look-back-before-time-runs-out/

That should tell you whether or not Hickman will be your cup of tea.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,253
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
saturnrings
saturnrings
durham, nc