Roll Call
1 members (Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand), 33 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:28 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/26/24 08:03 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: All Peter David thread
Fanfic Lady #1030458 10/04/23 10:57 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
So next week, something's out that I didn't know was forthcoming--a Captain Marvel/Genis-Vell Omnibus, by PAD of course. It collects PAD's entire run in one $150 package, which I may be able to get as much as a 50% discount on--or very close to it.

I've never read the whole run. In fact, I dropped it at some point during the initial series and again shortly after the relaunched series started. The only runs of PAD's I can remember picking up and dropping were Spider-Man 2099 and his second run on X-Factor. One significant run of his I never really gave a chance was Young Justice. I later revisited X-Factor and learned that it was very worthy of the effort. 2099 and YJ are on my radar to pick up at some point. So what about his work with Genis-Vell? It's hella tempting, especially because it continues with Rick Jones and Marlo where PAD left off with them on his Hulk run. Otherwise.... shrug ...especially because of Genis' overall unlikability and, well, what appeared to be a big time heel turn on his part, as a major element of his arc.

Thoughts?.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Fanfic Lady #1030464 10/05/23 04:36 AM
Independent Scholar
Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
YJ definitely yes. I'm glad to hear you plan to pick it up.

Spider-Man 2099 I think is just okay, but I admit I've never read the full run. A lot of it is down to my dislike of Rick Leonardi's art style. I don't hate him, but he definitely turns me off. I don't think we've ever discussed him, so I don't know if you like him or not.

Genis Omnibus I have to say no. Especially because of the heel turn you already mentioned. To put it another way, that is the only extended PAD run that I got rid of. And that wasn't a decision that came lightly. If I'm generous, I can say there's two or three storylines that almost make the grade. But that's still not worth even 75 dollars, much less 150, in my opinion.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Fanfic Lady #1030465 10/05/23 04:46 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Same advice as above. The YJ run is just good irreverent fun, except when it has a few heavy moments, but PADs exploration of Genis never really worked for me, and I like the character (mainly from his Thunderbolts and Avengers Forever appearances).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Set #1030508 10/07/23 09:52 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
YJ definitely yes. I'm glad to hear you plan to pick it up.

Spider-Man 2099 I think is just okay, but I admit I've never read the full run. A lot of it is down to my dislike of Rick Leonardi's art style. I don't hate him, but he definitely turns me off. I don't think we've ever discussed him, so I don't know if you like him or not.

Genis Omnibus I have to say no. Especially because of the heel turn you already mentioned. To put it another way, that is the only extended PAD run that I got rid of. And that wasn't a decision that came lightly. If I'm generous, I can say there's two or three storylines that almost make the grade. But that's still not worth even 75 dollars, much less 150, in my opinion.
Originally Posted by Set
Same advice as above. The YJ run is just good irreverent fun, except when it has a few heavy moments, but PADs exploration of Genis never really worked for me, and I like the character (mainly from his Thunderbolts and Avengers Forever appearances).

I think you two have helped slam the door on any crazy impulse I might've had to pick up the Genis Omnibus! I think, now, the only way I'll pick it up is if it ever gets discounted down to 70-80% down the road. We'll see.

I was hoping that because it ran so long between the two volumes, that the overall arc might redeem the heel turn and make it all make sense. I was enamored with the character when I met him in Avengers Forever, so I thought this might become a signature PAD series when it was announced. This seems like it was a real puzzler in PAD's portfolio, which matches my interaction with it.

Would anyone care to provide some Rick & Marlo spoilers from this run? I honestly don't know whatever became of Marlo during and after this series.

With YJ, I'm just waiting for an Omnibus or some other attractive collection to come along.

Spider-Man 2099 is getting renewed appeal from me because MIguel is a major character in Across the Spider-Verse, the second of the terrific Miles Morales movies that me and my sons both love. An Omnibus of PAD's Miguel stories was released earlier this year, and I've held off on it to this point. I remember liking Spidey 2099 at first. I can't remember whether I fell off because of disinterest or whether it coincided with the closing of my original CBS. I think the former, but I'm unsure.

Fanfic Lady #1030516 10/08/23 11:31 AM
Independent Scholar
Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
RE: Rick and Marlo in the Genis-Vell Captain Marvel series, his adventuring absences put a strain on their relationship, and she left him for Moondragon. I think Marlo also ran a comic book store. That's all I remember off the top of my head.

And regarding YJ, I just had a quick look at the availability of the six volumes that were released a few years ago. They seem reasonably priced if you can find them, and they do collect the entire run.

Last edited by Ann Hebistand; 10/08/23 11:37 AM.

Fanfic Lady #1030540 10/09/23 07:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Did anyone read the new Genis-Vell mini he wrote last year?

Sarcasm Kid #1030543 10/09/23 07:45 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid

I tried. Got 1 issue in and then forgot it existed and didn't feel compelled to go search out the remaining issues.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Sarcasm Kid #1030555 10/10/23 03:57 AM
Independent Scholar
Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar

I read it, but I wish I hadn't. It's a downer.

Marlo becomes the new avatar of death or something like that. I suppose, given her long-form character arc, that it was a logical outcome, but it still left a bad taste. Poor Rick, he just can't seem to have anything go right for him.

Fanfic Lady #1030558 10/10/23 10:53 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Honestly, Marvel should just pay creators like David, Ann Nocenti, J.M. DeMatteis, what they're owed instead of assigning them to these nostalgia bait minis as a means for quick cash.

Of course in DeMatteis's case, everyone's now saying he should be on AMS instead of Zeb Wells.

Sarcasm Kid #1030560 10/10/23 11:21 AM
Independent Scholar
Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
Honestly, Marvel should just pay creators like David, Ann Nocenti, J.M. DeMatteis, what they're owed instead of assigning them to these nostalgia bait minis as a means for quick cash.

Agreed. All three (among many others) have contributed so much that, not only should they be financially compensated, they should be allowed to publish creator-owned projects with Marvel promoting them. I so wish PAD could find a new venue for Fallen Angel!

Originally Posted by Sarky
Of course in DeMatteis's case, everyone's now saying he should be on AMS instead of Zeb Wells.

I was going to add, "and PAD should be on Fantastic Four instead of Ryan North," but then I remembered that I hate the F4 because of what Jonathan Hickman did with them.

Fanfic Lady #1030625 10/12/23 12:31 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
I just finished rereading PAD's Green Lantern feature in Action Comics Weekly 608-621 and was surprised by how little I liked it despite it have an interesting premise - Hal learns he has never really been fearless and suddenly has to cope with fear while doing his duty.
It could be the 8-page serialized format; although, other features were good and made good use of it. Or maybe it's that I generally find Earth-bound GL adventures underwhelming.
If anyone else has read this, I'd be interested in their thoughts.

Fanfic Lady #1030626 10/12/23 12:45 PM
Independent Scholar
Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
Can't help you there, Rob. Sorry. PAD's Green Lantern has always been one of those "I'll read it someday" things to me. It's not just that I have misgivings about it, some of which are reflected in your review -- the other problem I have is that, to my knowledge, PAD has never discussed his GL run, on his old blog or anywhere. And he's usually forthcoming about his past runs, even the ones which were not pleasant experiences...which leads me to imagine it must have been a really bad experience, maybe even his worst.

Fanfic Lady #1030637 10/12/23 05:50 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I honestly forgot that PAD wrote the GL feature, at least for part of its run on ACW. I was certainly aware of him by then, so that's surprising. I remember that though GL was one of my favorite features, I hated Katma Tui's violent slashing death by Star Sapphire. Was that PAD's script, or had that already happened when he took over?

Fanfic Lady #1030638 10/12/23 06:06 PM
Independent Scholar
Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
Lardy, I hated Katma Tui's death, too. Thankfully, it wasn't PAD's script; it was Christopher Priest under editorial pressure from Denny O'Neil, who I would like to think was also under pressure from those he answered to, because I like Denny. Whatever the true circumstances, it was a very unfortunate event.

Fun Fact: PAD's artist on GL was Tod Smith, who would go on to do what I consider some very underrated work on issues 26 through 50 of Marvel's Darkhawk.

Ann Hebistand #1030643 10/12/23 11:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
Lardy, I hated Katma Tui's death, too. Thankfully, it wasn't PAD's script; it was Christopher Priest under editorial pressure from Denny O'Neil, who I would like to think was also under pressure from those he answered to, because I like Denny. Whatever the true circumstances, it was a very unfortunate event.

Fun Fact: PAD's artist on GL was Tod Smith, who would go on to do what I consider some very underrated work on issues 26 through 50 of Marvel's Darkhawk.

Years later, when Johns took over GL, he slightly retconned Katma Tui's death by saying she was killed by *A* Star Sapphire but not Carol Ferris.

Fanfic Lady #1030721 10/17/23 02:01 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
The Christopher Priest (then James Owsley) GL bookends around PAD's Action Comics Weekly run weren't particularly good either. It really felt like no one knew what to do with Hal but DC felt they needed to publish some GL stories.

On a side note, Mark Bright drew some of those Priest GL stories. I remember liking Bright's art but I didn't remember his style being so reminiscent of John Byrne.

Rob-Em #1030902 10/28/23 06:42 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally Posted by Rob-Em
...On a side note, Mark Bright drew some of those Priest GL stories. I remember liking Bright's art but I didn't remember his style being so reminiscent of John Byrne.

A further aside, Byrne worked with Bright on a FF Annual...I distinctly remember the cover being signed "Byrning Bright".

Fanfic Lady #1032813 01/19/24 12:23 PM
Independent Scholar
Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
If I'm disobeying a Legion World rule that I've forgotten about and this post is removed, I'll understand.

I'm only posting this link because Kathleen and Peter are desperate.

https://gofund.me/e50b5ab8

F------ health insurance companies!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,957
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Legolas
Legolas
on the lam!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star