Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
Re: What I found today at my LCS!
rickshaw1 #974806 08/03/19 11:46 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
My lovely and talented wife helped me post these pics from my camera to computer to here. Absolutely no idea how she did it. Anyway, I think it's quite a haul for the money. $27 for 30 books. I don't know if you can see them (tried to keep the pics small so it wouldn't eat up Nighty's bandwidth? I don't know, I'm a luddite). But, there are several of the Adventure Comics from just a few years ago, and several of the new numbering for Adventure. I also got some epic Hawkman Shadow War stuff and a Justice League Silver age #133 with my all time favorite version of Supergirl (Sorry, Legionworld, they just did her right). As well, I got the Aquaman Drowned Earth Annual.

I left behind the latest Nightwing and GL annual. C'mon, two books for nine? and Legion books at that? Not even close.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #974807 08/03/19 11:49 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Ann, I had the reprint of the Baxter 25, so I knew what was going on. I just never had an original of the baxter. I dug the reveal, all the clues where there, and I liked it better than it being Kara. I know at the time everyone was wanting it to be her to save her from the Crisis death, but I think that would have cheapened it at the time.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #974817 08/03/19 02:55 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Ah, okay.

I disagree about the reveal, but, as always, respectfully so.

Rick, did you follow that Crisis on Infinite Earths re-read we did in the Gymll's forum last year?

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
rickshaw1 #974825 08/03/19 06:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
A good haul. I especially like the revamped Adventure series

rickshaw1 #974833 08/03/19 10:43 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Great haul Rick!

I got a lot of those Adventures cheaply too, and getting them at that price makes it all the sweeter. smile Oddly, I recall there being lots of Hawkman too.

Let us know what you think of the Hawks' Shadow War. Was it good enough to practically remove him from the DCU through Crisis and Legends?

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #975515 08/17/19 12:35 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
So, for today's haul I found...

The Legion of Super-Heroes numbers 312, 314 and 315. 312 was one of the last few issues before it switched over to tales of and since 314 has "tales", it had to be 313.

Legionnaires, numbers 1, 2 and 3. Which means that since it was a four issue mini and I found 4 at a flea market some months back, I've got the full set.

Legion of 3 Worlds 2 thru 5. I already have it somewhere, but all these back issues came out the dollar bin, and they were on special today ...3 for 1$.

I then got Adventure Comics # 8 with Brin, Thom, Jeckie, Dawny, Garth, Brainy, Jan and Tellus on the cover. Again, 3 for $1.

And, The Fury of Firestorm, the Nuclear Man number 32 guest starring Phantom Stranger.

And finally, Hawkman # 15, Titans Burning Rage # 1, and Justice League, Slaves of the Source Wall annual number 1. These last three were full price, but my total still came to less than $20 for the day.

Me Happy.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #976820 09/15/19 05:57 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Legion of Super-Heroes number 261. It was the space circus adventure wrapup. Every once in a while I find an issue that was a gap issue for me way back when I was buying off spinner racks. Turns out I had it, but since I read it first as an old man, I didn't remember until I started reading the one I just bought. Didn't mind a bit though.

Hate to say it but the new legion isn't geared to me anymore but they are hoping to grab the young kids...and they deserve their day in the sun. I'll just keep trying to find old issues I never had.

The rest was current stuff, including the Latest Hawkman. I'm liking the story so far, pairing him with Shade and going against Gentleman Ghost, but I'm also looking forward to getting Shiera back. Kendra is great but she's gone her own way.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #977111 09/22/19 08:18 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
With a bit of luck, you'll find that the new Legion is just as enjoyable as old characters as Hawkman can still be to you.

I mean, It's DC, and the chances of that are slimmer than Ron Karr going under a door, but... smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #979567 12/15/19 03:27 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well, no new (old) legion today, but I did pick up the big Superman reveal. I'll leave it at that.

Something else that has popped up in Legion before....Thanagarians. Yup, Hawkman # 19. Ya'll, please, pick this book up. The story has taken all the crazy shit done to Hawkman/Carter and turned it into an epic, coherent storyline. It really is good reading. Right now, Sky Tyrant is ascendant, but Carter won't be down for long.

As well, The Shadow War of Hawkman numbers 3 and 4. Slowly filling in that series. Love it.

Titans, burning Rage #5. Rewriting DC history one character at time. Vics out, and only Starfire, Raven, Gar and a Robin survive as the team. Hawk and Dove show up as well. Jurgens is better as an artist than writer in my book, but he's not bad as a writer. Fun story so far. Madmen. Haven't seen them in ages.

Doom Patrol young animals number 6. Hate this has turned into yet another mini.

That's it. Rather paltry haul, but it's what I got.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #979594 12/16/19 03:25 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
I agree, the current Hawkman series is really good.

rickshaw1 #979954 12/28/19 06:10 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Hello hello hello all.

Today's Haul...just new stuff, no old. Didn't have either time or mullah to dig and buy extra. Short runs over the Christmas holiday, don'tcha know.

Legion #2, current series. I bought it.

Aquaman #55. Great art, not so hot writing, but I'm still hanging in there.

Terrifics #22, I think it is. Look, this book has really surprised me with it's quality writing and art, unique humor and fun. But, I effin' hate Bizarro and reading the speech. (Yes, I know, all those that know me here know I can lapse into and fire rhapsodicly in in fluent redneck) This storyline has dragged on with me having to read it, and I'm tired of it.

Justice League #38...Good storyline. Ready for it to end.

Nightwing #67. Dan Jurgens is doing a great job getting us out of a shitty storyline. Better for us when it's over.

Shazam #9. Silver age <sigh> here. Great art, decent storyline that needs to move on forward, but given the writer, we know by now it's gonna be slow. Still, it's not bad. Johns can write, but he leaves NOTHING to the readers imagination. Everything is spelled out, no shorthand at all.

Well, that's it for this week. What'ch'all got?

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #980892 01/19/20 11:34 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
This week's haul...

Well, Legion #3, current series. Hmmm. Art's fine, no problem with it. Detailed, clean for the most part. Still not sold on all the new looks. Some folk like them, not so much for me. Story. Liking the Mordru stuff. Dawnstar...out of character for me. Rokk as an indecisive, feckless leader? Nope. Rokk and Tasmia...Okay, it's different. Mon as ....what? exactly? eh, I don't know. Tired of riding the fence on the book though.

Aquaman, #56. Thank you thank you thank you. I don't know who Deconnick is, but I did not enjoy that run. Higgins...new, will give a chance. The art...much improved. Don't like to talk about artists as style is subjective, but it seems so much ....more.

Nightwing #68. Jurgens...thank you for rescuing the book. Now that the bullet brain storyline is over, maybe we can get back to Nightwing/Dick Grayson. He used a little scify magic to get us back there. No programming can bring back lost brain matter. But it's over and thank you to him.

Flash Forward #4. Lobdell isn't a writer I tend to enjoy. I left several books because of his work on them. He's been involved in the Titans characters for a while now. Story seems disjointed and Booth's art isn't helping me much. It's nice work, don't get me wrong. Just not a type I enjoy. I don't know who Wally is supposed to have murdered, or even when it happened. I just know he's become an absurd "Marvel Tragic Figger", and I don't read marvel any more because of those figgers.

Hawkman #20. Venditti is doing great stuff on this book. He's managed to clean up the mess made after John's cleanup and it works. He's bringing back Shayera, which works for me. Art is fine, colors seem a bit murky at times, but still good. Just needs to move a little faster now. Sky tyrant seems like something foisted on him and he's doing the best he can with it. Don't know what the evil six is all about with the dark metal stuff, don't care. Ready for it to move on. But still a good read and please support the book.

No old stuff, unfortunately. And the last few times I've been to the shop, Sam was waiting in the car on his phone. Music is his thing, and I love that, but it generally means the little time i have with him is spent on that, and I don't have time to plunder the back issues.

Folks, I'm not the only one buying, am I? Lets here what you get and what you think?

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #980895 01/19/20 01:35 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Sorry, Rick, these days what little "mad money" I have goes towards saving up for expensive original printings from the 1950s and 1960s. Once in a while, I get a really good deal, like on some of the adaptations of those old TV shows and movies -- my most recent was Four Color issue 1130, the second of two adaptations of "The Deputy", drawn by my all-time favorite comic book artist, John Buscema. Only 7 bucks, in perfectly readable condition. The other Four Color "Deputy" is also drawn by Big John, but I haven't found a decent condition copy under 20 bucks yet.

Perseverance, perseverance...

Someday, I think I should write a book all about Big John's Pre-Marvel artwork.

Someday sooner than that, I plan to post some sketches I'm doing of the Legion in an imitation of John's style.

rickshaw1 #980910 01/19/20 05:13 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Thanks for the updates Rick. Nightwing has been shot in the head and lost brain matter and Wally is DC's version of Speedball/Penance while Hawkman is bogged down in some already well-finished Event. I'm sure it's better in the execution, but I can't say I'm likely to even pick up one to read. I did see some blurb about Aquababy being some sort of countdown event. Let's hope they don; let Manta near him anytime soon.

Five Years - Nice art, and the story will build up the closer we get. But that issue was read in a few minutes and I'm thinking I'll enjoy the trade more.
Legion - That put off induction of Jon's will also read better in a trade. It's just to slow in a monthly.
Strange Skies over East Berlin - I picked it up as I was reading a Le Carre novel. It's a 4 issue mini, and I've 2 put aside to read. It's a horror and the writer gets the cast isolated nicely. Would make a decent trade read.
Copra - The art takes an issue to get used to. Subplots develop like an alternate universe Ostrander Suicide Squad.
Goon - Best of the bunch. Recommended.
Hellboy Winter Special - Not out in time to be called a Christmas special. A decent read this one, without me jumping up and down.
I'm getting Poe's Snifter of Terror for my dad.
I picked up a couple of random John Carpenter sci fi / horror ones. I've still to read them, but I've been meaning to get some of these for ages.

I've been picking up some TPBs in a sale, and because I can see them in a new shop without having to prise them off the shelf with a crowbar. I'll put up some reviews at some point.
The Ballad of Halo Jones (vol 1-3); Nemesis the Warlock (with the Talbot bits in); Skreemer; Mr X (2 volumes); Bad Company (original story with Ewins art); Third World War; Journey into the Unknown (2 vols); Dylan Dog (due to Teeds covers); Roy of the Rovers; Dracula Files; Copra (1st couple of volumes)

Nearly British enough for some old bloke to offer me a choice between a sword or an amulet. Can't he see that I'm trying to read?

rickshaw1 #986690 05/17/20 01:04 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Today's haul is backissue gallore. My LCS, Legends, came up with a loooooot of silverage stuff and bronze age. And while new and other stuff was running at a dollar a book for sales, this stuff was priced by guide. I could have pulled about two boxes worth, but didn't have that kind of money. Original Teen Titans, Justice League, Silverage Flash and GL*GA and the list goes on. What I got was paltry, but it's what I could do. Anyway...

Two GL*GA's, 103 and 113 by O'Neill and Saviuk. Never had these before, so looking forward to them.
Action comics #608 with a big ole GL cover.
Isabella, Howell, Heck and Miskin's Hawkman, numbers 5,6, 7, 9, 10, 11, and 12.
and finally, some new things, Hawkman's current series, #22, the new Aquaman 100 page giant, and the reprint that just came out of GL number 1, silver age GL with Hal.

Gonna relax and read now.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #986691 05/17/20 02:12 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Good haul Rick. Enjoy!

rickshaw1 #986703 05/17/20 04:33 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Sounds like a good afternoon!

rickshaw1 #986715 05/17/20 06:38 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
'twas, Myg. 'twas.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #986735 05/18/20 11:48 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
Today's haul is backissue gallore. My LCS, Legends, came up with a loooooot of silverage stuff and bronze age. And while new and other stuff was running at a dollar a book for sales, this stuff was priced by guide. I could have pulled about two boxes worth, but didn't have that kind of money. Original Teen Titans, Justice League, Silverage Flash and GL*GA and the list goes on. What I got was paltry, but it's what I could do. Anyway...

Two GL*GA's, 103 and 113 by O'Neill and Saviuk. Never had these before, so looking forward to them.
Action comics #608 with a big ole GL cover.
Isabella, Howell, Heck and Miskin's Hawkman, numbers 5,6, 7, 9, 10, 11, and 12.
and finally, some new things, Hawkman's current series, #22, the new Aquaman 100 page giant, and the reprint that just came out of GL number 1, silver age GL with Hal.

Gonna relax and read now.

nice! happy reading, Rick!

rickshaw1 #986978 05/24/20 01:05 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Another good weekend. I told them I could easily spend several hundred dollars on Silverage Justice League alone...except...you know, I don't have that kind of money. Anyway...

Adventure Comics 336, "The True Identity of Starfinger". Not great shape, which is why I could afford it.

Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #'s 209 and 229, respectively. Had 209, but it was in rough shape. 229, I had years ago but it fell apart from my reading.

The New Teen Titans #33. Who Killed Trident....never had it before.

The Shadow War of Hawkman, the entire mini-series 1-4. Never had it.

Hawkman #8 of the Isabella/Howell run.

and finally, a new book, Justice League 44, just came out this week.

But oh lort, they got silverage flash, GL, Phantom Stranger, Secret Society of Super-Villains....I don't know who had all that old DC stuff, but dang.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #986979 05/24/20 03:16 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I was fortunate with Silver Age, that 1) my dad liked it when he were 2) he was happy to indulge me over a long period getting them and 3) the prices weren't in the same ballpark that they'd later get to.

I recall that 4 issue Shadow War of Hawkman as having more momentum than a lot of the later series.

Titans #33 has Perez art and ?.um Perez art. That's probably unfair, but I recall is as an um issue in what was a relay good run. So that means it would have been a hit in nearly every other series. I can easily see JLA satellite era doing well with it, because...well, no spoilers.

What do you think of the most recetn Justice League compared to previous volumes? I've not read anything of it in several years (a preview snippet launching a Johns series aside)

rickshaw1 #986986 05/24/20 03:43 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Very big epic threats. But, I have no idea how the perpetua storyline ended, and suddenly, it's tartarus. It's got great art, and great everything else, but the storyline of Apex Luthor, perpetua, and such lasted too long for me and was unsatisfying. But you have to remember, I just slobbered over stories written in the sixties and seventies. My taste may not match yours.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #986988 05/24/20 03:57 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I'm partial to the Fox/Sekowsky and the satellite era with Conway (particularly Perez onwards). Although there are plenty of other gems in the run.

rickshaw1 #987016 05/25/20 04:01 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
Very big epic threats. But, I have no idea how the perpetua storyline ended, and suddenly, it's tartarus. It's got great art, and great everything else, but the storyline of Apex Luthor, perpetua, and such lasted too long for me and was unsatisfying. But you have to remember, I just slobbered over stories written in the sixties and seventies. My taste may not match yours.

Rick, I actually have a copy of the final Perpetua issue if you want it.

As for me and the JLA, I think it rarely got better than the early-mid seventies Len Wein/Dick Dillin issues -- 7 Soldiers of Victory, Freedom Fighters, the Elongated Man joins the team, et cetera. Also, I think JLA 200 is a masterpiece, and there a lot of good stuff on either side of 200...tellingly, the JLA editor at the time was none other than...Len Wein. Not to take away anything from the writer Gerry Conway, of course, I just think Conway shone brighter with certain editors than others.

rickshaw1 #987082 05/25/20 07:08 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Ann, I think I have it. I just din't unnerstan' it. I think. They lost, but they they didn't lose because they were saved and sent somewhere else but then are back and no one seems to know about the loss?

I confoozed.

Something pithy!
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,114
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Querl Dox
Querl Dox
Saline, Michigan