Roll Call
2 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, thoth lad, Invisible Brainiac, thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 22 Murran Spies, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:27 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:25 AM
Legion Trivia 6
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
The Archives Re-read Project Discussion Thread
by stile86 - 05/20/24 08:22 PM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by stile86 - 05/20/24 07:03 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Classics on Infinite Earths
#959281 09/15/18 04:23 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
OP Offline
For those interested in a scholarly take on the DCU and its crossovers, I came across this book, Classics on Infinite Earths, on Amazon. Author Julian Darius argues on that the DCU is old enough to have produced several classic stories and he tries to create an admittedly subjective cannon centered on the JLA and various crossovers.

I've read most of the Amazon preview and found it entertaining and insightful. I do note that Darius admits to what seems to be a bias by focusing on comics from the '80s on. It's not that such a focus is a bad thing (all canons have to start and end somewhere), but his reason is because few earlier comics, he claims, aspired to literary value. I'm not sure how he defines literary value at this point. However, he admits that his choices are subjective and that a canon is meant to be fluid and changing, to open a conversation instead of shutting one down. I enjoyed his overview of the JLA and discussion of Kingdom Come.

Since current discussions on LW involve Crisis, this book looks like an appropriate tie-in.

I note that this book was published in 2015, so there's a good chance some of us have read it. Any thoughts? (Sorry if this has been discussed before; I couldn't find it in the search engine.)

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Re: Classics on Infinite Earths
He Who Wanders #960567 10/01/18 07:46 PM
OP Offline
So, I bought this book and am enjoying Darius's commentary on the DCU and the runs of certain series. He summarizes the runs and creators of key titles and provides a context of behind-the-scenes and historical events to show how the stories were shaped by and reflected the times in which they are produced. I've enjoyed reading his overview of various JLA titles since the early '90s, when I more or less stopped reading the series. It's interesting to read about the various relaunches, including JSA (which I followed for brief time).

Among the stories he considers classic are the first 12 issues of the Giffen/DeMatteis run, the inaugural Fox/Sekowski run, the brief O'Neill/Dillon run, and Morrison's JLA. However, he also covers other eras in surprising depth, including what he considers to be spin-off series such as All-Star Squadron, Infinity, Inc., and the various JSA reboots.

The is very little Legion content; he's mentioned the Legion only a few times in the chapters I've read. Even so, the book is worth checking out.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,543
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Annoying Lad, DanteSF, Daulton Tripman, lancesrealm
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star