Roll Call
1 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller), 34 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 09:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 05:30 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 28 29
Re: Brian Bendis & Ryan Sook relaunch the LSH
stile86 #972431 06/14/19 10:21 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by stile86
Originally Posted by Brain-Fall-Out Boy
I'm speculating that Naomi is the character who will be moving to Legion.

ETA: or maybe the female character from his Dial H for Hero, whose name escapes me right now.

Continuing to think through the possibilities, based on Bendis saying it’s a female character he currently writes, whose move to Legion won’t disrupt the current DCU. Could it be Amethyst or Jinny Hex? Both have connections to the future. And he has said this initial Young Justice lineup isn’t going to stay static.

I was wondering who this could be as well. I like the Naomi idea although the skin tone is different. It appears from the images that she changes her appearance a bit over the centuries which makes sense. My first thought was that it would be Lois Lane but that would fit into him "messing up your favourite comics" so pretty sure not. Who else? The female villain acting as a reporter in Superman?
Anyone else with ideas?

My first thought was Lois Lane too. Which would be so good, but also so not possible - it would make her new monthly title a very different spin than what most expected. Sigh.

Naomi would also be cool - but she doesn't look like the character appearing in Millennium previews. Bendis seems to have a bigger vision for Naomi and I could see him deciding to build her like he has with other characters in his runs at Marvel.

I think it's probably Jinny Hex. The hair color and the guns fit. Also, Jonah Hex had his whole HEX phase in the future and the use of Jinny could be an homage to that. Also, he indicated that this character would play with grey moral areas - or shifting moral areas - which makes sense for her character.

I thought for a second it could also be Scarlet but I can't believe he would give up ownership of the character to the DCU (or that DC would want a character they'd have to pay every time they use her).
I'm not familiar enough with his Superman run to see if any of that cast would fit the bill

ajohns2012 #972435 06/14/19 10:33 PM
Active
Active
So happy that despite misgivings for some, the tone of this board is mostly hopeful. My LSH FB group is tearing itself apart right now.

Last edited by Brain-Fall-Out Boy; 06/14/19 10:33 PM.
ajohns2012 #972436 06/14/19 10:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I suspect/hope that the newly immortal female character moving to the Legion is Amethyst. She makes the most sense:

1. She already has a connection to the Legion via Gemworld;
2. Bendis says it's a character he's writing at the moment and isn't she in his 'Young Justice'?;
3. I think she has red hair now like this character seems to;
4. Being a sort of other-dimensional character she could be very easily removed from the DCU without too many repercussions.

Other thoughts:

1. These are some terrible costumes. The only ones I like are Brainiac 5's (love that headpiece thing and his short-haired, youthful look) and Shadow Lass' (although this one is at the very lower end of her always great costumes). Saturn Girl's would be greatly improved by a circular half cape on the shoulder like what Captain Marvel and Power Girl used to wear. That would give the circular planet effect a more three-dimensional quality. The unnecessary lines all over everyone are so ugly though. I really do not understand the thought process that goes into adding them. And if that unknown character is Gim, Brin or Jo then that will easily be the worst costume that any of them have ever worn.

2. I'm not normally a fan of race/gender/species-bending characters but I'm OK with this change to Rokk. Dark-haired characters like he, Salu and a few others have always seemed one colorist's shade away from the comic-book depiction of 'Asian' anyway.

3. That said, I don't think it's a good look that as soon as he becomes 'Asian' Rokk gets demoted to secondary/tertiary focus out of the original 3. An 'Asian' leader of DC's biggest and best super-team would be a great message for the POC (especially Asian)-starved DCU and Garth and Imra already have their own love affair storyline, let Rokk keep his leadership one.

4. Thirty-four members sounds very exciting!

ajohns2012 #972497 06/16/19 12:46 AM
Active
Active
Apparently somewhere in all the press or solicitations, it refers to the Legion as coming from the 32nd century. Bendis has verified on Twitter that this is not a mistake. Speculate away! I’ve seen everything from “children of the LSH from the first Supergirl story” to “the future team that recruited Cos in the three boot” to “Bendis made an arbitrary change to feed his own ego and putting it in a different year ruins the Legion foreverrarrgh.”

ajohns2012 #972516 06/16/19 05:29 AM
Active
Active
I actually like the new costumes! They are different and sort of look like what a superhero might wear 1000 years from now. The haircuts are also complimentary to each other, and this evokes a kind of "style" that everyone in that era would sport since it's in fashion at the moment. Loving what I see so far.

The true test of my loyalty will be the story. It has to be the BEST part of this new iteration of the Legion. Period. Nuff said.

In the present
Brain-Fall-Out Boy #972527 06/16/19 06:58 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Brain-Fall-Out Boy
Apparently somewhere in all the press or solicitations, it refers to the Legion as coming from the 32nd century. Bendis has verified on Twitter that this is not a mistake. Speculate away! I’ve seen everything from “children of the LSH from the first Supergirl story” to “the future team that recruited Cos in the three boot” to “Bendis made an arbitrary change to feed his own ego and putting it in a different year ruins the Legion foreverrarrgh.”

It could be that in writing the fistory* of this team, he just had to insert an extra hundred years to get everything he wanted to in there. Maybe it was move the Legion to the 32nd or leave out Tommy Tomorrow or something.

*future history, in hip LW slang.

ajohns2012 #972531 06/16/19 07:36 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Millennium seems to be a massive project to unite all the various space titles DC has put out in the past 80 years. They are placing Kamandi in this timeline, and even if they update it to be more realistic (maybe a pandemic instead of nuclear explosions since people know more about radiation now), the Earth will need time to recover.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
ajohns2012 #972561 06/16/19 01:03 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by EDE
It at least sounds like he's doing the work to try to create a coherent future timeline. That's already an improvement over the previous incarnation.

The thing about trying to tie so many DC properties together into a coherent timeline is that it unravels the first time someone comes up with a cracking story about Space Rangers pet, Cryll. Omac and Kamandi are also candidates for this sort of thing.

Originally Posted by EDE
She really needs the classic Saturn symbol.

I’m happy to see that go from Legion Lore. A group of people forced to wear a symbol to reveal their heritage has terrible real world connotations. Having a design on the shoulder, and hopefully removing any trace of everyone from there wearing the same outfits will do nicely.

Originally Posted by Ann
Tasmia has long hair, and that's all that really matters to me about the designs.

This is really the big worry answered by the previews. They’ve not been shy of sticking to a design that worked for the character.

Originally Posted by Drake
I'm actually surprised that they're sticking to tradition as much as they are so far, unless they're just rolling out the more familiar characters first. They kept the old code-names and they're recognizable despite the redesigns. (Imra less so, but she's the only one)
I'm looking forward to seeing how they incorporate the newer or original characters. Let's hope there isn't an "Earth Man" in the bunch...

nod

Originally Posted by Spellbinder
It might bring me out of Limbo lol

Hope so smile

Originally Posted by EDE
Solicitation list then as being from the 32nd century

Yeah, but technical sciencey things like… well counting… were never one of DC’s strong points. smile They did seem to get mixed up.

Originally Posted by EDE
So what will this one be called--the Bendisboot?

I guess we’ll see how long it lasts . Fourboot/Neoboot rather than a writer’s name would seem more appropriate.

I wonder who will be the Legionnaire to have a nervous breakdown, kill a couple of teammates and then wipe a species out of existence...

Crumbs! I had each of those down for a different Legionnaire this time. smile

Originally Posted by Andy
I think it's probably Jinny Hex. The hair color and the guns fit. Also, Jonah Hex had his whole HEX phase in the future and the use of Jinny could be an homage to that.

Imra: Right Jinny. Here’s your flight ring. Just in time to capture those crooks over there while I take you through some basics.
>Bang! Bang! Bang!<
Imra: … um… like our code against killing…
I like the idea of a nod to Hex though.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
ajohns2012 #972562 06/16/19 01:04 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by BFOB
My LSH FB group is tearing itself apart right now.

Why? I’d be interested to hear what people find to be the problem with what we’ve seen so far.

Originally Posted by Blacula
That said, I don't think it's a good look that as soon as he becomes 'Asian' Rokk gets demoted to secondary/tertiary focus out of the original 3. An 'Asian' leader of DC's biggest and best super-team would be a great message for the POC (especially Asian)-starved DCU and Garth and Imra already have their own love affair storyline, let Rokk keep his leadership one.

I hadn’t picked up on the ethnicity change and repercussions in Rokk’s role. But I did pick up on Rokk not being the one in the lead. This probably means I’ve read too many Legion comics smile Perhaps it’s just that without that quiet, determined leadership quality there’s not quite as much to Rokk as there should be. That getting picked as optimal leader (out of 3 people delivered form a kid’s toy smile) was a big moment for him.
Originally Posted by BFOB
I’ve seen everything from “children of the LSH from the first Supergirl story” to “the future team that recruited Cos in the three boot” to “Bendis made an arbitrary change to feed his own ego and putting it in a different year ruins the Legion foreverrarrgh.”

I like the first one, and have some Bits to post at some point about that. It could just be that the events in Millennium show the old Legion era in a bit of a mess, and it’s picking up from that which leads them to recruit Superboy.

There was also the old story about them being kids in their ‘40s, so there’s always that. smile

I see Emily and EDE’s have come up with solutions on this too…

Originally Posted by Catonyx
The true test of my loyalty will be the story. It has to be the BEST part of this new iteration of the Legion. Period. Nuff said.

Very much this. I just want a decent story.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
ajohns2012 #972568 06/16/19 01:23 PM
Active
Active
Honestly, there’s not much to the upset people. Just blind hatred of Bendis, mixed with the same costume/haircut discussions we’ve had here. Lots of complaints about too much dialog, frequently from the same people who complain about comics today being too quick a read. And cracks about who’s going to go nuts and murder half the team, or complaints about aging Jon, as if that was in some way going to keep Legion from being a good comic, that kind of thing.

It’s a shame those people haven’t read any of the Wonder Comics line, because those are some great books, and very unlike typical Bendis work.

ajohns2012 #972569 06/16/19 01:53 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Thanks for giving some detail BFOB.

I've not read much of Bendis beyond Powers and a few scattered Avengers things. Early Powers work was a step up in writing from most of the books around at the time. I think there might have been some scheduling issues, that meant the momentum faded a bit. Having a really good artist obviously helped a lot (Retro Girl for the Legion!)

I've read a few Avengers issues. While things like Disassembled had a visceral punch, I can understand and agree with any Avengers fans were upset by what happened. I was reminded very much of Ellis wiping out Stormwatch because he really wanted to tell stories about his pet characters without having to go to the pesky bothers of launching a book on its own merits and building up a fanbase that way. Not that it wasn't a good read, but... I seem to recall lots of talking heads from Bendis' Avengers and I couldn't tell you a single thing that they got up to. smile I quite liked Dark Avengers issues I read. I'm not sure if he was the writer on them though.

I had a quick glance at Naomi in the shop last week. It was just the one issue and a quick skim (issue #3 I think). But it was fine. It was all building up to a cliffhanger at the end. But the relationship changes because of that cliffhanger, snippets of character history (a red herring reveal) and DCU connections were all solid.

On the killing half the team thing, I think at least one previous writer has joked about doing just that. Another writer split them into groups and punted them across the galaxy so as not to deal with them all at once. Levitz was looking to $*!$ with the characters (using his own expletive). Bendis has hinted that it's going to build up to a GDS sort of level. So, there will be things going on that are going to impact a lot of the cast. And not in a good way.

How old in Jon? If he's older than Superbaby then it will be fine, without having to age him at all. Why this should be an issue as he waves off Elastic Lad into the future though is a mystery. smile

ajohns2012 #972571 06/16/19 02:02 PM
Active
Active
Jon was 10 when Bendis took over, And he did a story that left him trapped in the crime syndicate universe for 6-7 years while only a few weeks passed in DCU time. Many people are understandably upset that this effectively kills the Super Sons, or at least changes the dynamic betweenJon and Damien hugely. But it in no way reflects on his ability to write a good Legion. Now of course, many suspect that he was aged specifically to make him Legion age so he can join.

I’m enjoying the Superman books, although with caveats. But Naomi, Young Justice, Wonder Twins and Dial H for Hero have all been fantastic stuff.

ajohns2012 #972572 06/16/19 02:05 PM
Active
Active
I should add for people that haven’t read his DC stuff that while Superman in particular is recognizably Bendis, he has made a real effort to bring DC to his voice at the same time as he brings his voice to DC.

ajohns2012 #972573 06/16/19 02:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Brain-Fall-Out Boy explained things well. There are a lot of people upset about how Bendis treated Jon, but I have thought about it and it is minor compared to things Legionnaires has been subjected to before and after they became members. Princess Projectra and Element Lad have both had their home planets destroyed (albeit in various versions). Mon-El was trapped in the Phantom Zone for 1000 years and he is somehow a functional being. Timber Wolf and Wildfire both have terrifying origins on a physical and psychological level.

The way Jon is hand-waving his years of absence in the comics seems like this just a plot device for Bendis to get him old enough to be in Legion.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
ajohns2012 #972575 06/16/19 02:16 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I would've just set the Legionnaires at 10-ish!

I can get that if you absolutely hate a certain writer's work, you wouldn't be very enthusiastic about him taking over the LSH. And, I don't know. I'm jaded enough to be somewhat skeptical about any relaunch. But there are things about this that look promising, and other things not so much. But, a big relaunch after five years of no Legion book be published? I figure it's worth at least checking out.

ajohns2012 #972577 06/16/19 02:22 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Ah, that does seem to have kicked Super Sons in the teeth a bit. smile It would seem to suggest he was aged to fit in with the Legion too. That doesn't sound good as I remember the dreadful Bart Allen ageing and the dreadful way they waved it all away.

Had the idea been to fit him in with the start of the Legion, then it wouldn't have been that much of a stretch. They were all early teens. If he's joining years later when Wildfire gets there (assuming that this chronology has Wildfire not joining at the start) then it's a wider gap.

What Bendis' involvement with the Wonder Books? I quite liked an issue of Dial H, but I don't think he was writing it.

ajohns2012 #972578 06/16/19 02:26 PM
Active
Active
I think he is full writer on a couple. Definitely Naomi. I think he is co-writer on the others, but I’d have to look them up to be sure. He is definitely the “curator” of the line, as seems to be the new buzzword for such things.

thoth lad #972614 06/16/19 06:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by thoth lad
That said, I don't think it's a good look that as soon as he becomes 'Asian' Rokk gets demoted to secondary/tertiary focus out of the original 3. An 'Asian' leader of DC's biggest and best super-team would be a great message for the POC (especially Asian)-starved DCU and Garth and Imra already have their own love affair storyline, let Rokk keep his leadership one.

I hadn’t picked up on the ethnicity change and repercussions in Rokk’s role. But I did pick up on Rokk not being the one in the lead. This probably means I’ve read too many Legion comics smile Perhaps it’s just that without that quiet, determined leadership quality there’s not quite as much to Rokk as there should be. That getting picked as optimal leader (out of 3 people delivered form a kid’s toy smile) was a big moment for him.

I wouldn't read too much into the arrangement on the cover. It's the founding three and they are all bunched together. Garth is a bit in front but that fits with a brashness to his character that has often been portrayed. It doesn't mean he is the leader. Cos or Imra could equally well be the leader and be happy to let Garth be in front.

Originally Posted by thoth lad
Originally Posted by Catonyx

Very much this. I just want a decent story.

Absolutely. I also want it to be good enough to get rave reviews and draw in new fans. We need the new blood. Get them interested and some will dive back into the past and discover the rich history of the team. Even if they don't, even if this is the only version of the Legion they know, if this one is inspirational I will be happy.

ajohns2012 #972617 06/16/19 06:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I hadn't thought of Jon being aged specifically to fit in with the Legion before but it makes a bit of sense if Bendis had the Legion in mind all along. Still it doesn't feel that sudden. Jon has been back and aged for 6 issues now (which with the biweekly schedule is only 3 months, feels longer) and although it initially felt a bit frustrating (something which the characters of his parents very much acknowledged) it has also fitted with he story and the character's development.

A move to the 31st/32nd century would also fit. Have to catch up on the weird Young Justice thing with Connor. I haven't really got my head around the whole Titans/Teen Titans/Young Justice thing yet.

Blacula #972621 06/16/19 07:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer

I suspect that, for impact in this first appearance, the front & center spot went to the Legionnaire with the most recognizable new costume. Lightning Lad is clearly Lightning Lad. We'd be wondering who the new Cosmic Boy and Saturn Girl were.

Last edited by Legion Tracker; 06/16/19 07:46 PM.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Spellbinder #972624 06/16/19 07:59 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I wonder who will be the Legionnaire to have a nervous breakdown, kill a couple of teammates and then wipe a species out of existence...

The obvious choice to go all Scarlet Witch would be the White Witch, but that might be a little too obvious. smile

And Brainy's already been there, done that. Rokk-as-Time-Trapper, too. We've done the rampaging Daxamites thing to death, since the Great Darkness Saga, Ol-Vir and lately Res-Vir and the 'super-dominators,' so, hopefully not Mon-El!

Dreamy would make a freaky villain, having somehow foreseen that her teammates have to die for the future to survive... smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
ajohns2012 #972625 06/16/19 08:31 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
There is already speculation that Jon Kent may be an impostor from Earth-3, in which case I welcome the Legion of Super-Lords.

ajohns2012 #972626 06/16/19 09:25 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Ugh. The last thing we need is another evil Superboy.

ajohns2012 #972627 06/16/19 10:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
To be completely fair, I don’t know that I’ve actually read much of Bendis’s work besides Disassembled. I was not a fan of the Avengers books that came out after that, but a lot of that had more to do with Marvel trying to blend all of their lines together into an unrecognizable mess than who as actually writing them.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
Legion Tracker #972634 06/17/19 03:31 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Legion Tracker

I suspect that, for impact in this first appearance, the front & center spot went to the Legionnaire with the most recognizable new costume. Lightning Lad is clearly Lightning Lad. We'd be wondering who the new Cosmic Boy and Saturn Girl were.

And we all know covers lie anyway wink

But I agree with Legion Tracker, the cover is not necessarily indicative of the leadership dynamics within the team.

Page 3 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,091
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden