Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:35 AM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 29 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 28 29
Re: Brian Bendis & Ryan Sook relaunch the LSH
ajohns2012 #973149 06/26/19 12:05 PM
K
Leader
Leader
K
Blacula:

Valid points, although this may be expecting too much. We do see quite a few "aliens": humanoids with different-colored skin. (I count six our of twelve) So they're trying.

Complete new alien character designs like Tellus and Gates tend to suffer badly from artist to artist-- just consider at the deterioration of the representations of those characters in the "New 52" Legion Lost.

I repeat myself, but I do like the "boulder" Blok look.

As for Jon Kent, everyone always believes that *this* continuity will last...

"I always think there's a band, kid." -- Harold Hill, in The Music Man

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
ajohns2012 #973151 06/26/19 02:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Personally, I'm down for this new Legion and all it entails, but I'm always confused as to why Superman can look and act pretty much the same even after he's rebooted, but it's too much to ask for the Legionnaires.

Everyone expects that they have to look and act differently and date different people than the previous incarnation in order to be "fresh and new!" Young Justice is back from being blinked out of existence and yet Robin, Superboy, Impulse and Wonder Girl were able to look and act the same way they did before. Sure they'll change but they are being introduced as if they stepped out of the last series. The JSA is coming back in their old costumes and with the old powers, no one is a girl now, no one is a snake...but that's never how the Legion are treated. "Let's make them unrecognizable! That'll get old and new readers for sure!"

Anyway, I will support and I'm sure enjoy this new Legion no matter how they look (and act), but I do always wonder why everything Legion has to be made brand new again and again over and over and maybe that's why these boots never last. Instead of the changes occurring organically from a standard base they are thrust upon them and us. Even the retroboot came with so many fundamental changes that it couldn't keep an audience.

Now that I got that out of the way, let's enjoy this new Legion!

Blacula #973155 06/26/19 05:11 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Blacula
Better to just scrap it all and start over with a completely clean slate. And now that I'm OK with that idea, I wish they'd pushed the limits of these new conceptualizations even more. I mean, why is every Legionnaire revealed so far a 2 armed, 2 legged humanoid? Why are they all more or less the same height and weight (short Sun Boy and heavy Blok excepted) and have the same fashion sense? I would've liked to see some more creativity in alien design here along the lines of what some creators have done with the Green Lantern Corps.

I think Bendis will introduce some new characters (the purple girl might be one of them). He said 34 characters in the book so that offers a lot of room. We also don't know how long Bendis will stay on the book, he was on Guardians of Galaxy for 18 issues before he moved on.

Also, if they're wanting to start a whole new Legion with all the promise and possibility that that entails, I don't get why they are grafting it so tightly to the DCU character who is THE MOST LIKELY to be wiped away whenever DC does it's next reboot; Jon Kent. I mean, people don't seriously think Superman's teenage son is going to be around forever do they?

Once I started digging into twitter, I found quite a few angry Jon Kent fans. I don't know if he gained a following with kids or their parents, but there is an audience out there. They don't like that he was aged up and want him back as a kid. If this Legion fails, DC would probably just give him the Franklin Richards Treatment.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Klar Ken T5477 #973156 06/26/19 05:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477

Complete new alien character designs like Tellus and Gates tend to suffer badly from artist to artist-- just consider at the deterioration of the representations of those characters in the "New 52" Legion Lost.

All very true. And there is the old canard that some readers find it harder to identify with non-anthropoid characters too. I'm actually more happy than unhappy with these revitalizations now. I love how diverse the team looks now. Only 5 of the 12 characters in the DC Previews ad look human and of those 5, only 3 look Caucasian (Mon-el looking Hispanic to me and Rokk looking Asian).

I'm excited to see how the rest of the team has been re-imagined now.

ajohns2012 #973157 06/26/19 05:23 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
I have no objection to greater diversity in comics, but if Mon-El's origin is still going to have Superboy mistaking him for a previously unknown brother, he should probably be Caucasian enough to look like he's likely Superboy's brother.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
Nightcrawler #973159 06/26/19 05:54 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
Personally, I'm down for this new Legion and all it entails, but I'm always confused as to why Superman can look and act pretty much the same even after he's rebooted, but it's too much to ask for the Legionnaires.

Everyone expects that they have to look and act differently and date different people than the previous incarnation in order to be "fresh and new!" Young Justice is back from being blinked out of existence and yet Robin, Superboy, Impulse and Wonder Girl were able to look and act the same way they did before. Sure they'll change but they are being introduced as if they stepped out of the last series. The JSA is coming back in their old costumes and with the old powers, no one is a girl now, no one is a snake...but that's never how the Legion are treated. "Let's make them unrecognizable! That'll get old and new readers for sure!"

Anyway, I will support and I'm sure enjoy this new Legion no matter how they look (and act), but I do always wonder why everything Legion has to be made brand new again and again over and over and maybe that's why these boots never last. Instead of the changes occurring organically from a standard base they are thrust upon them and us. Even the retroboot came with so many fundamental changes that it couldn't keep an audience.

I do agree with all this too though! I would have loved to see the original characters' story keep going (even with some minor variations) just like Batman and Superman and others' have.

But now that I've been out of comics for a while I'm OK with thinking of the old Legion as book that's now finished. All stories come to an end eventually and sure, that Legion's ending was messy and drawn out and unsatisfying but I still have happy memories of all of the earlier chapters.

Emily Sivana #973160 06/26/19 06:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
[quote=Blacula]
Also, if they're wanting to start a whole new Legion with all the promise and possibility that that entails, I don't get why they are grafting it so tightly to the DCU character who is THE MOST LIKELY to be wiped away whenever DC does it's next reboot; Jon Kent. I mean, people don't seriously think Superman's teenage son is going to be around forever do they?

Once I started digging into twitter, I found quite a few angry Jon Kent fans. I don't know if he gained a following with kids or their parents, but there is an audience out there. They don't like that he was aged up and want him back as a kid. If this Legion fails, DC would probably just give him the Franklin Richards Treatment.

I'm sure Jon Kent has his fans (and I hope they come with him to this book to make it a success) but removing Superboy from its history was a blow that the original team's storyline never recovered from, and started the snowball of retcons that eventually killed it, so it just disappoints me that the new writers seem to be about to make the same mistake here.

ajohns2012 #973163 06/26/19 06:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Disappointing. And expected.

ajohns2012 #973164 06/26/19 07:20 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I've never read a single comic with Jon Kent, but the idea of aging him to fit in with the Legion sounds horrible to me.

ajohns2012 #973167 06/26/19 10:50 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Had they made the Super Sons a couple of years older right from the outset, then it wouldn't have been an issue just to move Superboy as he was into the Legion. They spend a lot of time planning in DC, but there always seems to be fudges like this one. Not having read any of it, I wonder if the attitude of the younger Jon was too childlike to make a move into the Legion possible. If he acted more like Pre Crisis Superboy, then there was still the option just to move him into the team.

Happy with what I've seen and good to see DC take advantage of getting more of an ethnic mix into the team. A Kid Quantum (that survives more than 5 minutes) would be a bonus.

Thanks for the Previews pics Nighty! I peeked in the shop, foolishly picking up the heavy big book rather than just taking out the little DC bit.

I made a comment about Dark Horse's Quantum League having a crossover with the Legion. I noticed that Black Hammer is having a crossover with the Justice League. I can't imagine that a crossover between the tow Legions hasn't crossed their minds. I imagine that will make an appearance once the new team has bedded in a bit.

Polar Lass for the lady in blue!

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
ajohns2012 #973170 06/27/19 01:35 AM
Active
Active
Did anyone mention yet that Bendis said in the podcast that Jinny Hex is getting an upcoming Wonder Comics series? It seems to make her less likely as a Millennium candidate

ajohns2012 #973173 06/27/19 04:00 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm looking forward to the Millennium issues since that 1000 year gap was never really settled as a coherent history in the DC universe. I suppose with the constraints of two issues they'll stick to established characters and not fill in the gaps. The summary mentions "disparate DC futures" so I'm not sure if this will be one continuous Earth history or they'll throw in some alternate Earth stuff. Never been able to reconcile Kamandi with any version of the Legion (where did all the talking animals go?).

Holy Cats of Egypt!
ajohns2012 #973175 06/27/19 04:58 AM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Talking animals? There were never any (burrrrp...) talking animals around here.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
ajohns2012 #973182 06/27/19 05:36 AM
Active
Active
I could be wrong, of course, but I think “disparate futures” just refers to the fact that various versions of the future were created without reference to each other, or thought on how they fit together.

Nightcrawler #973183 06/27/19 06:57 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler

I understand the frustration, yeah. On the other hand, I guess if they are going to reboot the team anyway, might as well go the whole hog... and I do appreciate the greater diversity. From a nostalgia point of view, with my favorite heroes, I can live with "similar enough" to previous versions - but then again, what is similar enough? Threeboot Brainy is not at all the same as Reboot Brainy.

Dilemmas, dilemmas.

ajohns2012 #973186 06/27/19 08:07 AM
Active
Active
I don't like very much the idea to change the etnic origins in the classic legionnaires, because we have enough diversity in the originals ones...

Chameleon Boy, Brainiac 5, Ferro Lad (original idea), Karate Kid, Shadow Lass, Tyroc, Dawnstar, Blok, Invisible Kid II, Tellus, Quislet, Kono, Veilmist, Kid Quantum, Dragonmage, Catspaw, Computo, Gates, Gear, XS, Monstress, Harmonia.
We really need more?

If the Legions fans wants another thing full of amazing beings ...read Captain Carrot or Green Lanterns Corps...

Last edited by EmeraldEmpress; 06/28/19 06:31 AM.

From UK with glamour.
Invisible Brainiac #973187 06/27/19 08:32 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac

I understand the frustration, yeah. On the other hand, I guess if they are going to reboot the team anyway, might as well go the whole hog... and I do appreciate the greater diversity. From a nostalgia point of view, with my favorite heroes, I can live with "similar enough" to previous versions - but then again, what is similar enough? Threeboot Brainy is not at all the same as Reboot Brainy.

Dilemmas, dilemmas.

Yeah, it's a balancing act. On the one hand, you don't want to just rehash everything that came before (or else what's the point?), while you also don't want to change things so fundamentally that they become unrecognizable. And, of course, what seems like a minor change to one person will seem like an unforgivable alteration to another.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #973195 06/27/19 12:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Chaim Mattis Keller
Talking animals? There were never any (burrrrp...) talking animals around here.

Yeah, I guess famine was a possibility after all those horrible world wars we read about in the Soljer story.

Originally Posted by Brain-Fall-Out Boy
I could be wrong, of course, but I think “disparate futures” just refers to the fact that various versions of the future were created without reference to each other, or thought on how they fit together.

Makes sense & I hope that's the case, but it should be a job fitting them together. I'm quite looking forward to the whole thing as a new take on the Legion concept - was wondering if I'd even live long enough to see another LSH from DC.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
ajohns2012 #973197 06/27/19 01:01 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I've completely mixed feeling about this. On the one hand, I'd much prefer to just keep various futures separate and just set them on different Earths or something, but, since they are doing it, I'm also weirdly fascinated by how they are going to try to tie all of them together.

Of course, if you're doing that, then why not also go ahead and add in a sort of uber-Legion continuity in which all the previous versions of the team (or at least analogues of their stories) take place?

ajohns2012 #973198 06/27/19 04:29 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm not sure why Bendis decided to reboot the Legion whole instead of going back to prior continuity--does he explain why in the podcast?

It feels a bit odd since he resurrected the Young Justice to their classic selves and added a few new/newish characters. Of course, DC says everything is canon (therefore there is no canon) nowadays so other writers could dig out those versions in the future. I'm also looking forward to double Legion as I pray Hickman will do a Shi'ar Imperial Guard book if the X-Men relaunch goes well.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Eryk Davis Ester #973204 06/27/19 05:06 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
I've never read a single comic with Jon Kent, but the idea of aging him to fit in with the Legion sounds horrible to me.

Hey Eryk, I highly recommend the Adventures of the Super Sons, of which the last issue of the mini series will be out in a week or so.

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 06/27/19 05:06 PM.
ajohns2012 #973208 06/27/19 06:35 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I, for one, welcome our new thirty second century overlords.

Show me the monkey!
Sue Pergirl #973262 06/29/19 12:12 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Sue Pergirl
I, for one, welcome our new thirty second century overlords.

Crumbs! Sue Pergirl has figured out that they're all Computo constructs!

I'm see all sorts of characters in the Superman #9 image from Jeckie and Laurel to Dreamy and Jenny. It would seem odd to have Chuck and not Lu. Likewise to have Wildfire without #29 being Dawny. #40 has green in their costume - Chemical Kid? Element Lad? Jimmy Olsen: Turtle Boy?

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
ajohns2012 #973272 06/29/19 08:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Somehow I missed this, sorry if it's old news to most of you.

THE PATH TO THE 31st CENTURY BEGINS THIS SEPTEMBER WITH LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES: MILLENNIUM

Two-Issue Prelude Series Serves as Gateway to an All-New LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES Ongoing Series from Writer Brian Michael Bendis and Artist Ryan Sook

BURBANK, CA… This September, DC fans will embark on a journey into the future(s) of the DC Universe and the 31st Century, as the publisher announced plans for a two-part monthly series, LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES: MILLENNIUM. This two-issue prelude, written by Brian Michael Bendis and featuring art by Jim Lee, Ryan Sook, Nicola Scott and others, paves the way for an all-new LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES ongoing series by Bendis and Sook.

The series focuses on a most unlikely tour guide to the 31st Century, a familiar face to DC fans who finds herself suddenly immortal. As she learns to cope with her newfound immortality and the reason she was chosen for this quest, her 1,000-year odyssey will connect all of DC’s future timelines for the very first time. Along the way she encounters a host of DC heroes from the future, as drawn by some of comics’ most popular artists:
  • Supergirl, drawn by Jim Lee
  • Batman Beyond, drawn by Dustin Nguyen
  • Kamandi, drawn by Andrea Sorrentino
  • Tommy Tomorrow, drawn by André Lima Araújo

“Since its Silver Age origin, the Legion of Super-Heroes has been the cornerstone of the future DC Universe,” said Bendis. “Over time, a wealth of future characters and stories have emerged since the Legion’s beginnings and connecting these threads to an updated version of the Legion is a story Ryan and I can’t wait to tell.”
The second issue is scheduled for October and continues this mystery quest, making additional stops in the future DCU, rendered by an equally talented roster of artists:
  • Booster Gold, drawn by Nicola Scott
  • OMAC, drawn by Jim Cheung
  • A DC “off-world” chapter, drawn by Jeff Dekal
  • Legion of Super-Heroes, drawn by Ryan Sook

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES: MILLENNIUM #1 debuts in comic book stores and online retailers on Wednesday, September 4. For more news and updates on the World’s Greatest Super Heroes, visit www.dccomics.com, the DC YouTube channel or follow @DCComics on social media.

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 09/06/19 03:07 PM.
ajohns2012 #973280 06/30/19 06:49 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Are those 8n chronological order? Because setting OMAC after Booster Gold seems kind of weird.

Page 7 of 29 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,181
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
brigort
brigort
PEI, Canada