Roll Call
0 members (), 26 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/01/24 05:05 PM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:51 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/01/24 03:50 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Set - 05/01/24 12:17 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:45 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 29 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 28 29
Re: Brian Bendis & Ryan Sook relaunch the LSH
ajohns2012 #975390 08/15/19 04:57 AM
Active
Active
I’m changing my guess back to Amethyst. After the interview it’s clearly a pre-existing character, so rule out his creations. It’s someone who didn’t know immortality was part of her power set, so it’s someine who already has powers. And it’s someone who doesn’t know something was done to her “in her other life.” Amethyst had a dual existence, plenty of funky stuff has been done to her over the decades, and if it’s a pre-existing power she didn’t know she had, it would make sense that the magic that aged her aged her to a specific age and then KEPT her there. And of course, as we’ve been bringing up since we started guessing, there’s the pre-existing connection.

Nightcrawler #975391 08/15/19 05:17 AM
Active
Active
Nightcrawler, can you please let me know which DC titles had the 8-page section focusing on the Legion (at the back of the book)? I would really like to know so I can pick up a copy.

The only Legion ad I saw in the main DC titles that came out yesterday in my comic shop was just a one page ad showing the first page which is the cover of Millennium #1. There was nothing more!

Thank you.

In the present
Catonyx #975392 08/15/19 05:20 AM
#deleteFacebook
Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook
Originally Posted by Catonyx
Nightcrawler, can you please let me know which DC titles had the 8-page section focusing on the Legion (at the back of the book)? I would really like to know so I can pick up a copy.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08/14/the-legion-of-super-heroes-preview-dc-comics/

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
ajohns2012 #975393 08/15/19 06:13 AM
Active
Active
Thank you Reboot …… I saw the Bleeding Cool ad this morning too! smile

In the present
ajohns2012 #975403 08/15/19 08:22 AM
J
The Poster Formerly Known As Klar Ken T5477
The Poster Formerly Known As Klar Ken T5477
J

Better The Devil You Know Than The Devil You Don't -- Irish proverb
ajohns2012 #975429 08/15/19 08:50 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Really excited about the team coming back! Seeing Matter-Eater Lad in his colors and looking like a tank makes this one of the best revamps already! Given that this team has some type of Lantern and a Dr. Fate I wonder if Lightning Lad could be a descendant of Black Lightning? There seems to be a lot more ties to the current DCU, Lighting Lad could be another one.

ajohns2012 #975433 08/16/19 01:21 AM
Active
Active
I think Emerald Empress being called "racist" on this site is absolutely rude and uncalled for. Those responsible owe him an apology here on the forum.

As he has stated, and I am in complete agreement and will echo similar statements...if Lightning Lad had originally been introduced with darker skin, if Cosmic Boy originally looked Asian, if Princess Projectra originally had pink skin, when we first met the characters then we have no complaints.

However to make such significant changes 60 years later because of our real world "everything has to be politically correct BS" is wrong. The characters should remain essentially the same, that is what the Legion was built upon.

There is always more room in the Legion for new characters. These individuals can appear as alien and diverse as the writers and artists want in order to create the diversity they feel is necessary.

Fast forward 40 years from now when these new characters are redrawn the fans will once again be upset that the characters were changed. That is not racism, it's about tradition and what we as fans are use to seeing.

If someone is racist then they are going to expect and want all of the Legion members to be represented one way. Nobody is saying this on this site including Emerald Empress.

So take your racist accusations and shove it. We dont need to be falsly accused. We love Tyroc as black, we love Brainiac 5 as green, Shadow Lass as blue and so on. If these characters suddenly appeared Caucasian we would be just as upset.

Its reasonable tradition we want. We are accepting of alien looks with new characters. Get this through your head....that's not a racist view point.

Anyone who feels the need to scream "racist" over this is the one with the problem.

Last edited by Phantom Girl; 08/16/19 01:28 AM.

I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.
ajohns2012 #975436 08/16/19 02:40 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
OK I know we’re all passionate about the Legion but let’s all embrace their spirit of harmony and remember that we’re all friends here and no one is intentionally trying to offend anyone.

Radical change is always difficult to accept and when you combine that with a nuanced topic like enforced racial diversity then it’s very easy for meaning to be misconstrued in the quick back and forths of message board communications.

So let’s all come together and turn our anger toward the real enemy...

Dan Didio.

wink

Blacula #975440 08/16/19 03:37 AM
Active
Active
I agree with you Blacula that this site is better off when people get along and I support that.

I will however stand up for people that are being singled out and their comments being taken out of context. Especially when accusations are made.

I also agree that Dan Didio is a concern. I wish he would reign things in rather than have such a liberal approach to the new comic.

I'm doing my best to warm up to the changes I dont agree with in order to still enjoy the comic. Hopefully after 6 issues or so I will choose to continue purchasing it as I have a complete collection already and would hate to see that come to an end.

I will also state that even though I have not kept up with Superman since the early 80s the way I understand it this new Superboy is supposed to be Clark Kent's son. If we can't get Clark back then I think it's an excellent subsitution.

Is Lois Lane the mother?

Last edited by Phantom Girl; 08/16/19 03:49 AM.

ajohns2012 #975441 08/16/19 04:36 AM
Active
Active
Thank you, Phantom Girl and Blacula for your words.

From UK with glamour.
Phantom Girl #975446 08/16/19 06:39 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Phantom Girl
I will also state that even though I have not kept up with Superman since the early 80s the way I understand it this new Superboy is supposed to be Clark Kent's son. If we can't get Clark back then I think it's an excellent subsitution.

Is Lois Lane the mother?

Yes LL is the mother.

The Post-Crisis Superman and Lois married in the mid 90s after getting engaged in the late 80s.

Then in the big DC crossover event Convergence in 2015 characters from many no-longer-existing universes turned up including this Clark and Lois who was pregnant and near term. She gave birth to Jonathan Kent (Jr I guess) during the event. Then somehow the three of them found themselves in the New52 universe. When the New-52 Superman died, (and later the New52 Lois died as well) the post-Crisis versions took over. Eventually due to the manipulations of Mr Mxyzptlk the timelines of the post-Crisis Superman-Lois and the New52 Superman-Lois somehow merged (kind-of sortof in a not really ever explained way) and we just carried on.

Finally Jor-El (yes Kal-El's father) turned up and offered to take Jon with him to explore the universe to help him to grow into his powers and knowledge etc (He was now about 10 or12 perhaps?). Reluctantly but surprisingly Clark and Lois agreed. Unfortunately amongst their many adventures Jon was separated from Jor-El, lost in space and time, and ended up on Earth-3 captured by Ultraman and apparently spent several years trapped in a volcano before escaping with Jor-El's help. Hence when he was brought back to the current DC Universe and time he had aged several years and is now reunited with his parents (who are glad to have him back but a bit pissed at missing all his growing up).

There you go. Simple isn't it? Actually there were some really good stories in there and Bendis can only be blamed for the last part of Jon going off with Jor-El. All the rest was by previous writers. Is it any more confusing than describing Validus as the time-lost twin son of Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl thrown back in time distorted by a vengeful Darkseid to become an unrecognisable villain before his parents had even marrried?

ajohns2012 #975447 08/16/19 06:46 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
On the racial change angle I will add that I was at first pretty shocked by the trailers for the movie "Man of Steel" that showed Perry White had changed race. However in the movie itself the actor nailed the character so well that it didn't bother me at all. I highly approve of the choice of actor. I guess that will be the final deciding element here. Can we believe that this is Garth or not? Of course it is a bit harder in the comics medium and Garth's personality hasn't been consistent in recent years compared to earlier years anyway, but as uncomfortable I feel with the change at the moment I will be fine with it if only the writing and the story presentation sells it.

Phantom Girl #975448 08/16/19 07:49 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I think Emerald Empress being called "racist" on this site is absolutely rude and uncalled for. Those responsible owe him an apology here on the forum.

There is nothing wrong with disliking the new designs, or disliking the fact that these designs differ so radically from the "classic" incarnations of the characters. A lot of people have expressed that sentiment, including Nightcrawler.

What was problematic about the Empress's posts was the claim that white people are somehow being discriminated against by these changes. That is, quite frankly, the sort of language typically used by racists.

ajohns2012 #975449 08/16/19 07:55 AM
Active
Active
This, just now from DenOfGeek….
The first cover is from Legion Of Super-Heroes #1 and the second cover is a Variant. smile

Attached Images legion-of-superheroes-1-cover-dc-comics-reboot.jpg legion-of-superheroes-1-variant-cover-ryan-sook.jpg
Last edited by Catonyx; 08/16/19 07:56 AM. Reason: forgot to add some info

In the present
ajohns2012 #975451 08/16/19 07:58 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
WOW! Thanks Catonyx!

I'm really liking Ryan's art and especially his covers.

Also, it looks like this will be the Ultimate version of the Legion. The founders are still Lightning Lad, Cosmic Boy and Saturn Girl and we'll be getting new Legion symbols.

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 08/16/19 08:13 AM.
ajohns2012 #975453 08/16/19 08:11 AM
Deputy
Deputy
https://www.facebook.com/262733448333/posts/10157392907248334/

That's the article that goes with those images on a fb group.

Also if anyone's is still wonder it's a reboot. Bendis makes it pretty clear.

Also, they need to finalize the time period.
Is it 32nd or is it 31st? Interviews say one thing all printed material thus far seems to say otherwise.

read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232
ajohns2012 #975457 08/16/19 09:47 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Looks like the earth gets blown up again. I do like what I'm hearing about a more optimistic future. Personally on the race changes I think DC messed up with what appears to be a last minute switch. The mostly all white Legion of my youth was that way because of racism though. It's past time for that to change.

Last edited by matter-eater man; 08/16/19 09:48 AM. Reason: To many "thoughts"
ajohns2012 #975458 08/16/19 10:54 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Those covers look great! I've always loved Ryan Sook's artwork. Is he the main interior artist for this new series too or is he just doing covers?

Well it looks like a decision has been made in relation to the hot button issue of this thread. I can't say I'm not disappointed. I wonder if Rich Johnson was correct in this new article and there was (presumably well-intentioned but ill-advised IMO) pushback against the plans to reverse the change to the Ranzz'? What an all around cluster***k either way?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08/16/flip-flopping-dc-comics-legion-of-super-heroes/

The second cover is very interesting. Love that the members are finally getting new symbols! Some of them (especially those male/female symbol ones like Phantom Girl, Shrinking Violet, Colossal Boy and others) have always been so bad.

So the Earth has been destroyed again? I wasn't expecting that. Not sure if I like it.

I wonder if there will already be any fallen heroes from the team when the story starts, and if so, who?

ajohns2012 #975464 08/16/19 04:34 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Earth may be destroyed, but between evacuations and colonies I think there are still plenty of humans around. The Threeboot started with the destruction of Orando so this does not surprise me.

I will stay out of the human race debate, as it seems well played out. However, I think for the members that are not of Earthly descent, such as Element Lad, it is better for them to appear more alien than less. It shows new readers at an instant they are not descended from Earth. Trom is extremely different culturally from Earth (in the original continuity), for example they have no concept of marriage. In the case of Princess Projectra, I think (this is based on illustration) that they decided to split the difference between Sensor and Princess Projectra by making her a reptilian humanoid.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
ajohns2012 #975465 08/16/19 04:42 PM
Active
Active
This most certainly had been asked but as usual I missed it.

The new comic...are they suppose to be a new reboot universe/Earth group or are they continuing characters of one of the previous Legion comics we have had?

If they are a continuation...which Legion is it? Please list the years the comic was published so I know which one your talking about. It does no good to tell me this Earth or that Universe because I wont know what your taking about.

I just am wondering which previous Legion comic these characters are suppose to be or if we are starting over with a new Legion group.

Last edited by Phantom Girl; 08/16/19 04:45 PM.

ajohns2012 #975466 08/16/19 04:45 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Interestingly, I've seen one of the FB groups post a checklist to this event showing supposedly all the tie-ins. (I think it's from DC house ads within the monthlies.) It omits Supergirl 33 and has a typo that lists Superman 6 instead of 16.

Also, there's a larger house ad that was supposed to be in this week's publications giving a lot of info about the Legion. It's been left out, supposedly because of the Lightning Lad race thing that Bleeding Cool thinks is why Superman 14 and Supergirl 33 have been pulped and pushed back.

But I just want to go on record that I have ZERO issue with the decision to diversify the new iteration of the Legion with different ethnicities and more aliens. I also have ZERO issue with those being characters who were formerly portrayed as caucasian.

I, for one, wouldn't want DC to do what some suggest--use entirely new characters to achieve this diversity instead of changing the races or making more alien existing characters. To me, it wouldn't be the Legion without Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, etc. While I would welcome new characters, like we got in the postboot, such as Kinetix, Gates and Monstress, I want as many of the classics as possible, even if they don't look the same or are necessarily all that similar. This is a new beginning after all, and the last attempt to give us what we supposedly want didn't work out so well.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Phantom Girl #975467 08/16/19 05:38 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer

The new comic...are they suppose to be a new reboot universe/Earth group or are they continuing characters of one of the previous Legion comics we have had?

It hasn't been 100% confirmed, but all indications are that they are a completely new continuity, with no reference to previous Legion comics. They are certainly interacting with the rest of the DC universe for the first time when they first show up in Superman.

Lard Lad #975470 08/16/19 06:13 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Paladin

I, for one, wouldn't want DC to do what some suggest--use entirely new characters to achieve this diversity instead of changing the races or making more alien existing characters. To me, it wouldn't be the Legion without Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, etc. While I would welcome new characters, like we got in the postboot, such as Kinetix, Gates and Monstress, I want as many of the classics as possible, even if they don't look the same or are necessarily all that similar. This is a new beginning after all, and the last attempt to give us what we supposedly want didn't work out so well.

My biggest issue is that the lineup is entirely "classic" focused, except for the brand new characters. And even given tthat they seem to only be using pre-Baxter characters for some reason, the fact that the two historically black characters from that era are conspicuously absent (unless Jacques is invisible) is disconcerting. I definitely have some sympathy with those who complain that they seem to be hemming and hawing over whether Bouncing Boy or Lightning Lad will be black, while all the various pre-existing black characters from various continuities are sitting unused.

Eryk Davis Ester #975475 08/16/19 06:43 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester

My biggest issue is that the lineup is entirely "classic" focused, except for the brand new characters. And even given tthat they seem to only be using pre-Baxter characters for some reason, the fact that the two historically black characters from that era are conspicuously absent (unless Jacques is invisible) is disconcerting. I definitely have some sympathy with those who complain that they seem to be hemming and hawing over whether Bouncing Boy or Lightning Lad will be black, while all the various pre-existing black characters from various continuities are sitting unused.

I can see that point. There's no reason Jacques or Tyroc (or Computo or either of the Kid Quantums from later eras) couldn't be used. I can only assume that Bendis wants the characters and names that he considers Legion essentials, and is working from there. Either way, I'm not worried about it, only whether it will be entertaining.

It would be interesting, going only on my own conjecture, if this new Invisible Kid is actually always invisible, and we are never shown any of the usual artistic cheats to see what he (or she) actually looks like. Theoretically, we would never know Invisible Kid's race, unless we meet the biological parents or if the character discloses the info.

Last edited by Paladin; 08/16/19 06:44 PM.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
ajohns2012 #975476 08/16/19 07:01 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
As far as changes go generally, as Superboy explained to us many years ago:

Attached Images ChiefParker.jpg
Page 18 of 29 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,049
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
jesjos
jesjos
Chicago, Illinois