Roll Call
1 members (razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo), 25 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/02/24 04:55 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/02/24 04:52 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/02/24 04:44 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/02/24 04:40 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/02/24 04:38 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by stile86 - 05/02/24 04:33 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/02/24 04:33 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 29 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 28 29
Re: Brian Bendis & Ryan Sook relaunch the LSH
Eryk Davis Ester #975478 08/16/19 07:16 PM
Active
Active
[Eryk Davis Ester]As far as changes go generally, as Superboy explained to us many years ago

Well said, thank you.

Last edited by Phantom Girl; 08/16/19 07:16 PM.

I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.
ajohns2012 #975479 08/16/19 07:20 PM
Active
Active

Last edited by Phantom Girl; 08/16/19 07:20 PM.

I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.
Eryk Davis Ester #975482 08/16/19 08:58 PM
Deputy
Deputy
NOT...A WOMAN?!?!

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
Eryk Davis Ester #975483 08/16/19 09:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Originally Posted by Paladin

I, for one, wouldn't want DC to do what some suggest--use entirely new characters to achieve this diversity instead of changing the races or making more alien existing characters. To me, it wouldn't be the Legion without Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, etc. While I would welcome new characters, like we got in the postboot, such as Kinetix, Gates and Monstress, I want as many of the classics as possible, even if they don't look the same or are necessarily all that similar. This is a new beginning after all, and the last attempt to give us what we supposedly want didn't work out so well.

My biggest issue is that the lineup is entirely "classic" focused, except for the brand new characters. And even given tthat they seem to only be using pre-Baxter characters for some reason, the fact that the two historically black characters from that era are conspicuously absent (unless Jacques is invisible) is disconcerting. I definitely have some sympathy with those who complain that they seem to be hemming and hawing over whether Bouncing Boy or Lightning Lad will be black, while all the various pre-existing black characters from various continuities are sitting unused.

Yes. This!

The Legion has no shortage of popular minority characters in it's history so it seems to me that the simplest way to solve the diversity issue would just be to mix the membership order up a bit. That way we get both: a) interesting new character dynamics and relationships between characters who haven't really interacted before (say Dawnstar and XS or Ferro Lad and Tyroc); and b) a chance to see those Legionnaires that always miss out when the universe gets rebooted before it gets to their period of membership.

ajohns2012 #975484 08/16/19 10:43 PM
Active
Active
I’m all this debate about whether caucasians are oppressed, we’ve lost sight of the most important thing: that haircut is gone!

Nightcrawler #975485 08/16/19 10:45 PM
K
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
K
It's the small victories...

Last edited by KryptonKid; 08/16/19 10:47 PM.
Brain-Fall-Out Boy #975486 08/16/19 10:48 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Brain-Fall-Out Boy
I’m all this debate about whether caucasians are oppressed, we’ve lost sight of the most important thing: that haircut is gone!

Seriously, that 'do was offending me! wink

ajohns2012 #975488 08/16/19 11:20 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON BUT IF SOMEONE STARTS A NEW 'DO THREAD I WILL BE THERE

ALSO: DEAN BAIT, SENTIENTS. YOU WANT SKETCHY BACK? 'CAUSE THAT'S HOW YOU GET SKETCHY BACK

ajohns2012 #975489 08/16/19 11:23 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
I'M SUPER-YELLING (OF SPACE) AND I DON'T KNOW WHY!

ALSO PLS LET ME KNOW WHEN LESTER IS SCHEDULED TO APPEAR. THX.

ajohns2012 #975490 08/16/19 11:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I still get a thrill seeing the entire team flying.

Nice cover for #1

Eryk Davis Ester #975492 08/17/19 02:59 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester

I, for one, wouldn't want DC to do what some suggest--use entirely new characters to achieve this diversity instead of changing the races or making more alien existing characters. To me, it wouldn't be the Legion without Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, etc. While I would welcome new characters, like we got in the postboot, such as Kinetix, Gates and Monstress, I want as many of the classics as possible, even if they don't look the same or are necessarily all that similar. This is a new beginning after all, and the last attempt to give us what we supposedly want didn't work out so well.

My biggest issue is that the lineup is entirely "classic" focused, except for the brand new characters. And even given tthat they seem to only be using pre-Baxter characters for some reason, the fact that the two historically black characters from that era are conspicuously absent (unless Jacques is invisible) is disconcerting. I definitely have some sympathy with those who complain that they seem to be hemming and hawing over whether Bouncing Boy or Lightning Lad will be black, while all the various pre-existing black characters from various continuities are sitting unused.

This! while I am open to new characters, the Legion has so many unused great ones who always get left out.

when will poor Polar Boy get a break again???

smile

Lard Lad #975498 08/17/19 05:17 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
It would be interesting, going only on my own conjecture, if this new Invisible Kid is actually always invisible, and we are never shown any of the usual artistic cheats to see what he (or she) actually looks like. Theoretically, we would never know Invisible Kid's race, unless we meet the biological parents or if the character discloses the info.

I always thought it would be funny if Invisible Jacques and Chameleon Girl were either 'officially retired' from the Legion, or never officially recognized as a Legionnaire ('just Gim's wife'), while covertly functioning as part of the Espionage Squad, and often working behind the scenes, scouting out areas, or infiltrating bad-guy groups, and raising no suspicions, because 'everybody knows where all the Legionnaires are, we don't need to worry about Invisible Kid spying on us, because he's retired...'

Double bonus coupons for Cham occasionally pretending to be Yera, and providing her with cover when she's, in fact, undercover, somewhere else. A Legionnaire impersonating Yera (to provide her an alibi) would be too funny, and surely get Violet's goat.

That said, Invisible Kid direly needs another power or permutation of his current power, because just invisibility is kinda sad. *Killed by friendly fire Lad* was taken, cause that's the last power I want on a team that's flinging lightning and fire and anti-energy blasts around, and has a few people zipping through the combat with ultra-speed or Daxamite strength, to turn invisible so that my 25 allies have no clue that I'm standing between them and a place they are moving or shooting or both... Something else related to his invisibility, like the ability to turn other people (or gear, such as body armor or weapons) invisible, or to detect and 'make visible' otherwise unseen things (perhaps even seeming to 'create fog' clouds by making the air visible in an area?), or to otherwise affect light. Just not teleportation. They did that already, and the team already has teleporter options aplenty with people like Gates, the White Witch or Veilmist, or a half-dozen other Legionnaires who would more logically develop teleportation (Star Boy makes a wormhole, Dawnstar *finds* a wormhole, Phantom Girl takes a shortcut through Bgtzl or the Phantom Zone, etc.) than Invisible Kid.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
ajohns2012 #975499 08/17/19 06:53 AM
J
The Poster Formerly Known As Klar Ken T5477
J
Legion Diversity Over The Last Sixty-Two Years
(and by "human" I mean, 'of Terran descent")

Characters who looked human, but weren't
Gear
Impulse / Kent Shakespeare (possibly part-Kryptonian?)
Kid Quantum (at least one version was an Antarean Protean)
Laurel Gand
Laurel Kent
Mon-El
Phantom Girl
Princess Projectra (at least one version had two hearts)
Sensor Girl
Shrinking Violet
Superboy
Supergirl

Characters who didn't look human, but were
Catspaw
Dawnstar
Ferro Lad
Furball (Timber Wolf transformation)
Infectious Lass
Lamprey
The Murrian Spies? (Xaxan (Magnetic Kid) / Aarl (Size Lad) / Graah (Blackout Boy))
Neon (Celeste Rockfish-McCauley)
Nightwind
Porcupine Pete
Power Boy (Jed Rikane)
Visi-Lad
White Witch
Wildfire

True Non-Humans / Aliens
Antennae Boy
Beppo
Blok
Blood Claw
Brainiac 5
Chameleon Boy
Chameleon Girl
Color Kid (at least one version)
Comet
Comet Queen (her natural form was not human)
Echo
Fire Lad (at least one version)
Firefist
Flederweb
Gates
Kid Psycho
Koko
Kono
Krypto
Lynk
Matter-Eater Anteater
Mog Yagor of Vasmeer
Monstress (her natural form was not human)
Proty
Proty II
Quislet
Scales
Sensor
Shadow Lass
Shikari
Sizzle
Spunge
Tellus
Turtle
Umbra
Urk
Veilmist

Characters who were represented as other than caucasian
Dawnstar
Dragonmage
Dragonwing
Ferro Lad (original concept, never appeared)
Gear
Harmonia
Invisible Kid II
Ivy
Karate Kid (at least one version)
Karate Kid II
Kid Quantum I
Kid Quantum II
Mwindaji
Timber Wolf (some people said he looked hispanic)
Tyroc
XS

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. Probably several someones.

Better The Devil You Know Than The Devil You Don't -- Irish proverb
ajohns2012 #975500 08/17/19 07:03 AM
Active
Active
Not to beat a dead horse or anything but, as far as Lightning Lad and Bouncing Boy are concerned, they should have kept them BOTH Caucasian I know BB is now white, ...but for how long? wink . Just my opinion.

Lightning Lad looked better in the original promos (yes even with that hairdo). This revised version looks, and will ALWAYS look like Black Lightning to me. It's more about the new costume which now with the new skin tone, really drives the point home for me!

Last edited by Catonyx; 08/17/19 07:03 AM. Reason: missed a word

In the present
ajohns2012 #975501 08/17/19 07:57 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I would add Element Lad to the 'Characters who looked human, but weren't' list, as Jan as made so many comments that indicate his culture is very different from Terran culture. For example, in the Retroboot, he was shocked that humans could turn part of Xinjiang (Western China) into a toxic waste dump.

There are a lot of one-note 'True Non-Humans / Aliens' and 'Characters and who were represented as other than caucasian' in various versions of the Legion Academy, but I don't know if you want to list them. One of the reasons people are probably reluctant to create new characters is because they often get sent to Limbo once writers leave the book. Another reason is copyrights, though I think Bendis has a more favorable relationship with DC (I think Naomi is creator owned?).

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
ajohns2012 #975502 08/17/19 08:24 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Polar Boy, Ral Benem, and Nemesis Kid were all presented as non-human (or at least humanoid of non-standard colors) in the threeboot. Possibly some others as well.

ajohns2012 #975503 08/17/19 08:29 AM
Active
Active
He may simply feel that creating new legionnaires is an important part of the legacy. Most memorable runs have included at least some new characters. I don’t know what the terms of Naomi are, but it seems unlikely that special ownership terms would apply to characters created specifically for the Legion book. But I’m not a lawyer or a creator, so don’t trust me.

ajohns2012 #975506 08/17/19 09:30 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I’m sure that any writer / creator would also be thrilled at the prospect of creating new characters who might one day become iconic members of the Legion. hence the desire to create totally new Legionnaires.

ajohns2012 #975507 08/17/19 10:28 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I’m sure that any writer / creator would also be thrilled at the prospect of creating new characters who might one day become iconic members of the Legion. hence the desire to create totally new Legionnaires.

I know I would be.

ajohns2012 #975508 08/17/19 11:10 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Although now each time Legion comes back previous new Legionnaires don't make the cut.

John_Robert_Roberts #975521 08/17/19 01:20 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by John_Robert_Roberts

Characters who were represented as other than caucasian
Dawnstar
Dragonmage
Dragonwing
Ferro Lad (original concept, never appeared)
Gear
Harmonia
Invisible Kid II
Ivy
Karate Kid (at least one version)
Karate Kid II
Kid Quantum I
Kid Quantum II
Mwindaji
Timber Wolf (some people said he looked hispanic)
Tyroc
XS

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. Probably several someones.

Ooh, so many! Very cool!

Add Glorith and Chemical Kid to that last bit, since you've got Dragonwing and Harmonia Li already. Ooh, and since Mwindaji is there, Otaku should be as well.

I'd love to have seen Tyroc, Dragonmage, Kid Quantum 2, Computo/Danielle Foccault, Karate Kid 2/Myg, G.E.A.R., XS and maybe Dragonwing, for some diversity, instead of changing the ethnicity of previously-caucasian folk. (That said, I've always felt that Cosmic Boy and Shrinking Violet looked a little bit either Asian or Latino, and that the Superboy's Legion version of Tinya, who looked East Indian in coloration, was very cool. But Garth being black? Wow, that's as out of left field for me as Threeboot Star Boy being black.)

Although it could be controversial if Garth isn't 'African-American' at all, but, in the 31st century, people dye their skin pigment as casually as we do our hair, and he's *literally* a caucasian in blackface...

Gosh, not a lot of Latinx in the Legion, are there? Three or more continuities of them, and a dozen or more black or Asian members, but no Hispanic/Latino members, or Middle Eastern members.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
ajohns2012 #975525 08/17/19 01:30 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I suggested of being able to easily change skin pigmentation by the 31st century way up thread somewhere. I'm increasingly fond of the idea. I suppose it has precedent in the SW6 issue where Tenzil impersonates a Sklarian, though that's better remembered for the gender swap.

ajohns2012 #975528 08/17/19 02:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Not that I don’t think it will be an actual possibility in a thousand years given where the cosmetics industry is already at, but having Legionnaires in ‘blackface’, ‘yellowface’, ‘whiteface’, etc. would probably be the absolute worst approach to take at the moment IMO.

Can you imagine the controversy? People who get caught painting their skin to that of another race get named and shamed regularly in the media these days. For DC to seem to condone the practice...?

Also, race is a lot more than just skin pigmentation. I don’t think minority readers looking for a character to identify with would consider a white character who’s just been painted to look like them an acceptable substitute.

Last edited by Blacula; 08/17/19 02:06 PM. Reason: Fix sentence.
Set #975529 08/17/19 02:08 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by Set
Gosh, not a lot of Latinx in the Legion, are there?

Lack of representation from India-Pakistan-Nepal, the South Pacific, or Australian Aborigines, either.
Of course by the real 32nd century, most humans will look more-or-less Filipino.

Oh, and eleven hundred years ago (1Oth century C.E.) Spanish was just an obscure dialect of Latin, and Spain would be Muslim for another five hundred years. Eleven hundred years from today...?

Better The Devil You Know Than The Devil You Don't -- Irish proverb
ajohns2012 #975531 08/17/19 02:24 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
In the science-fiction game Civilization: Beyond Earth, it speculated that planets would be colonized by regional groups (I.E Franco-Iberia). I think Legion has hinted at it too with planet names such as New Shanghai and Kirinyaga (it shares it's name with a region of Kenya). Now, how they would evolve with 1000+ years in space would be fascinating to read about! It would be nice to get a Encyclopedia Galatica issue if the main series does well.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Page 19 of 29 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,060
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP