Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/09/24 06:34 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:02 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Freeze Breath in the Superman Family: How does this make ANY sense?!?!
#976922 09/17/19 05:00 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Okay, I know it's comic books, but really?

I can buy Super Breath. They're Kryptonians. Not too much of a stretch that they'd have super lung capacity.

But why would it be super cold?

I mean, maybe it's not as prominently used a power as it had been, but I see it displayed on the reg in the Supergirl TV series.

Do Kryptonians have hot and cold generators inside them? One for heat vision, one for freeze breath?

For some reason, I can overlook heat vision, but freeze breath just seems absurd. Their super breath should be approximately body temperature and probably have a little spit mixed in.

Why in Rao's name would it freeze stuff?!?!?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Re: Freeze Breath in the Superman Family: How does this make ANY sense?!?!
Lard Lad #976923 09/17/19 05:09 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Stops typing... blows into palm of hand... it feels cooler... add comic book super-science... and publish. smile

It's also impressive that the original post was made using Super Ventrilotyping. You can hardly tell.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Lard Lad #976924 09/17/19 05:14 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
So there's this thing called the Joule-Thomson Effect, that basically says that if you force gas through a narrow passage it will cool upon expansion. Add in a bunch of stuff about super-powerful lungs, and you've got close enough to a plausible scientific explanation to keep nerds who actually debate the physical possibility of super-powers occupied for quite some time! wink

Eryk Davis Ester #976925 09/17/19 05:17 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
So there's this thing called the Joule-Thomson Effect, that basically says that if you force gas through a narrow passage it will cool upon expansion. Add in a bunch of stuff about super-powerful lungs, and you've got close enough to a plausible scientific explanation to keep nerds who actually debate the physical possibility of super-powers occupied for quite some time! wink

That's ludicrous! I mean, there aren't any nerds around HERE....right? confused

Lard Lad #976926 09/17/19 05:19 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
PLUS: Farts aren't cold, so your science is invalid! nod

Lard Lad #976927 09/17/19 05:20 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Seriously, I'm actually surprised there isn't a discussion of this on the Big Bang Theory, because it's totally the kind of thing that physics grad students would sit around arguing about whether it would actually work.

Eryk Davis Ester #976929 09/17/19 06:58 PM
J
The Poster Formerly Known As Klar Ken T5477
J

This is literally how liquid nitrogen is made.

Better The Devil You Know Than The Devil You Don't -- Irish proverb
Lard Lad #976933 09/17/19 08:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It's also how your fridge and air-conditioner work.

Still its a bit extreme and almost certainly came about from some writer thinking about breeze making you feel cooler due to thermodynamics, rather than the Joule-Thomson Effect. Of course to make that work you would have to blow an awful lot of air incredibly fast so I don't know how anything could stay still through it. So the JT explanation is a better one.

You can see the same transition with Heat Vision.

1. Superman has super strong muscles so can do things better than ordinary humans.
2. Muscles are in the eyes too so he has better vision, can see further and in more detail etc.
3. He can see wavelengths we can't, like X-rays.
4. He projects X-rays to see inside things (rather than just seeing X-rays that are already there). (We will ignore/not think about how X-ray radiation is damaging to biological substances.)
5. X-rays machines cause heat buildup in things they are used on, particularly metals, so Superman can use his X-ray vision to heat things up.
6. His X-ray vision is powerful enough to melt metals. See Adventure Comics 247 first Legion appearance where Superboy uses his X-Ray vision to melt Steel.
7. He can't heat things up every time he uses X-rays to see inside things so the heat bit must be a separate power - let's call it Heat Vision.
8. He can focus his Heat Vision to small and directed points so instead of heating an area he almost shoots lasers out of his eyes.

See? Over the decades successive writers take the framework they were given and add to it and having super muscles leads to heat vision beams. Aren't comics wonderful?

Lard Lad #976937 09/17/19 09:05 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
And, of course, since now his body is a "living solar battery", releasing stored up energy through his eyes now ties into that!

Lard Lad #976945 09/18/19 06:40 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I think this is one of those things where those who know a liiiiittle bit about the science, can accept it. Super-experts (of space) might not though smile

Lard Lad #976953 09/18/19 07:28 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
At the end of the day, any super-hero universe is going to operate with laws of nature that are at least a little bit different than our own are assumed to be, so while it can be fun to find "real world" mechanisms that approximate explanations for super-powers, whether they could *really* allow a person to do something isn't that important.

Eryk Davis Ester #977075 09/20/19 06:47 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
At the end of the day, any super-hero universe is going to operate with laws of nature that are at least a little bit different than our own are assumed to be, so while it can be fun to find "real world" mechanisms that approximate explanations for super-powers, whether they could *really* allow a person to do something isn't that important.

Bah!

I think it's a dumb power best forgotten! And X-ray vision should cause cancer!!!

wink

Lard Lad #977076 09/20/19 07:06 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Paladin
And X-ray vision should cause cancer!!!

I think they should rebrand it as Fourth-Dimensional Vision! wink

Lard Lad #977078 09/20/19 07:50 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Paladin
[quote=Eryk Davis Ester]
I think it's a dumb power best forgotten! And X-ray vision should cause cancer!!!

wink

I'm in favor of this, if only because it makes Polar Boy more relevant wink PolarBoy

You can just see the Adventure Era Legion going... I'm sorry Polar Boy, but your ice powers aren't unique because we have THREE Legionnaires with freeze breath!

Eryk Davis Ester #977079 09/20/19 08:02 PM
J
J

And then there is the "Battery Problem", also known as the "Blow-Up Problem". If you pump enough energy into a small enough physical system, it tends to become unstable, and explode. Yes, always. The strict limits vary depending on the materials involved, but Superman and Green Lantern's Power Ring and Doctor Octopus' robot arms clearly exceed any conceivable, reasonable limits. Unless they are made of something other than, you know, leptons and quarks.

Better The Devil You Know Than The Devil You Don't -- Irish proverb
Invisible Brainiac #977081 09/20/19 10:21 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac

You can just see the Adventure Era Legion going... I'm sorry Polar Boy, but your ice powers aren't unique because we have THREE Legionnaires with freeze breath!

Except, of course, the Adventure Era Legion didn't actually have a unique power requirement, since that wasn't introduced until Wildfire's first appearance!

Lard Lad #977138 09/22/19 04:27 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Gasp! Poor Wildfire!

Lard Lad #977153 09/22/19 04:59 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Yeah, literally that whole story is premised on the Legion rejecting him on the basis of a rule they'd just made up for that issue!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,219
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
EmeraldEmperor
EmeraldEmperor
Southern Oklahoma
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star